• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Black Books

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
Bernard Black - the worst INFP ever
Fran - the coolest ISTJ ever
Manny - the manysided-est ISFJ ever (or the most devoted ISFP ever)
Evan (the owner of Goliath's Books) - the ESTJ-est ESTJ ever

Black Books - one of the funniest British sitcoms ever

Any thoughts?;)

Malcontent

MBTI Type
abcd
Why do you think Bernard is an intuitive?
I think he is a sensor, a misantropic ISTP.
He seems to live a day-by-day life, he only cares about drinking, smoking and avoid people who bother him.
I don't see a lot of speculative and abstract thought and so on. And for sure he can't be called Rational!

VagrantFarce

Why do you think Bernard is an intuitive?
I think he is a sensor, a misantropic ISTP.
He seems to live a day-by-day life, he only cares about drinking, smoking and avoid people who bother him.
I don't see a lot of speculative and abstract thought and so on. And for sure he can't be called Rational!

There's nothing rational in the actions of an misanthropic INTP, trust me. :)

Plus he reads books a lot, has poor hygiene and is in general very strange and eccentric.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Plus he reads books a lot, has poor hygiene and is in general very strange and eccentric.

He's just Irish.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4wBLUBa8YI"]The Cleaner reminds me of Edgar[/YOUTUBE]

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
Let me see...

It might have been established he's INTP (by INTPs, I suppose ;)), by I disagree.

Firstly, Bernard is 100% N (not ISTP for sure), because he lives only in his head and absolutely sucks with reality. Manny's and Fran's characters, who are most likely both SJ, are designed to keep him functioning in reality at least a little. I'd say that especially Fran is designed to be almost his polar opposite, which is one of the things that leads me to think he's INFP. The owner of Goliath's books was blatantly a caricature of an ESTJ, and Bernard is (in my opinion) blatantly a caricature of misanthropic, choleric and absolutely incapable, but also somewhat 'honorable' INFP, that's why their interaction was so funny.:cheers:

Furthermore, he's repeatedly shown that he's got very strong values (as eccentric as they may be), and he's obviously a very romantic and idealistic dreamer, who ridiculously idealizes all his ex and future girlfriends, which is also a caricature of typical INFP behavior (e.g. the episode with his 'summer girl' :D). He's also somewhat artistic (e.g. the episode where he and Manny were writing the children's book ;)), which also seems to be rather a caricature of NF than NT.

You might say that all these things are possible for an INTP as well, but you have to keep in might that's he's a caricature and all typical traits of a certain type are parodied in him. And I would say these traits are INFP traits, not INTP traits.

Plus, if he was an INTP, he would have to be Ti dominant, and I haven't spotted any sign of Ti in him in any single episode.

That's possible, but there's nothing (as in, nothing nothing) rational in the actions of a misanthropic INFP, don't you think?;)

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
so he is not a perceiver.

What?

Ne types suck with reality too, not only Ni types, if this is what you mean. Respectively, when someone's primary mode is intuition, they will always be more comfortable with their head than with reality. That's the whole point of it, in my opinion.

And Bernard not being a perceiver is obviously a nonsense. He's probably the best caricature of a perceiver I've ever seen.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Bernard Black - the worst INFP ever
Fran - the coolest ISTJ ever
Manny - the manysided-est ISFJ ever (or the most devoted ISFP ever)
Evan (the owner of Goliath's Books) - the ESTJ-est ESTJ ever

Black Books - one of the funniest British sitcoms ever

Any thoughts?;)
Bernie is an INTP.
Beneath the apparent turmoil there is a cool.

I say the best INTP ever.
His is the best occupation for an INTP, too.
A force of circumstance. Not his own making.

Loafers do not make their destiny. They are like fallen leaves in a summer rain.

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
Bernie is an INTP.
Beneath the apparent turmoil there is a cool.

I say the best INTP ever.

OK. I guess we just have to agree to disagree, because I claim him. ;)

However, beyond a shadow of doubt, he's a king of all INPs.