• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

hokie912

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I thought Joel was a very repressed INFP and Clementine was ENFP, but I think a strong case has been made that she's ESFP.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Honestly, I don't understand how people ever came to the conclusion of Clementine being an ENFP.

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Honestly, I don't understand how people ever came to the conclusion of Clementine being an ENFP.

She doesn't remind me at all of the ESFP women I know, but she's eerily similar to the ENFP women I know.

I still don't think she's an ESFP.

Joel seems INFx to me, but that's the closest I can get.

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
One of the problems I had with typing Clementine as an ENFP was her lack of loyalty and the way she seemed to end her relationship with Joel, however, she ended her relationship it seems by reading between the lines and due to paranoia, perceiving problems and insults that perhaps were not even there and thus leaving Joel in a state of confusion over the ending of their relationship. This seemed very ENFPish to me however, almost everything else about her manner and her constant state of living in the present tense seemed very ESFPish to me

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
One of the problems I had with typing Clementine as an ENFP was her lack of loyalty and the way she seemed to end her relationship with Joel, however, she ended her relationship it seems by reading between the lines and due to paranoia, perceiving problems and insults that perhaps were not even there and thus leaving Joel in a state of confusion over the ending of their relationship. This seemed very ENFPish to me however, almost everything else about her manner and her constant state of living in the present tense seemed very ESFPish to me

It is a mistake to think that SFPs are not just as sensitive as NFPs. The difference between the NFP and SFP is that the SFP will DO something in the meat world to help ease their pain a lot faster than the NFP will.

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
It is a mistake to think that SFPs are not just as sensitive as NFPs. The difference between the NFP and SFP is that the SFP will DO something in the meat world to help ease their pain a lot faster than the NFP will.

Oh I know that they absolutely are as sensitive, I have agreat ESFP friend who is extremely sensitive alot more so than myself, I don't know how I gave you the impression that I thought otherwise?! (but apologises if I did somehow)

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
Joel had this quiet, pent up frustration about him that's very indicative of an ISFJ. When his car got damaged in parking, he left a note that said "thanks". And he was nitpicky about clementine's flaws - which she pointed it out to him. Even though he cared for clamentine more than any other woman, he was reluctant to have kids because he didn't think she was "mother" material. He was constantly simmering with emotions that he had trouble expressing until it would finally explode in viciousness (like that time he basically accused clemntine of being a whore). All of this is indicative of unhealthy ISFJ behavior.

Can I just ask Edgar, when was the last time you watched this movie... Just out of interest...??? I find it really amazing that you have focused on this movie in such detail.(Like you even remember what the note said) Have you watched it more than once? It's interesting because when me and my friend who is also INTJ (Possibly ENTJ) both watch a movie we come out remembering totally different things about it.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
Can I just ask Edgar, when was the last time you watched this movie... Just out of interest...??? I find it really amazing that you have focused on this movie in such detail.(Like you even remember what the note said) Have you watched it more than once? It's interesting because when me and my friend who is also INTJ (Possibly ENTJ) both watch a movie we come out remembering totally different things about it.

I saw it once. In the theater, when it came out.

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
I saw it once. In the theater, when it came out.

:shock: That is pretty amazing! I am rewatching it now just to find that one bit cos I kinda want it not to be in there! Well when I say I'm watching it it's in the background whilst I'm posting and on vent and surfing the net :D But truely Edgar hats off to you!! Like WOW and stuff....

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Joel: ISFJ
Clementine: ESFP

Patrick: ISTP
Stan: INTP
Mary: ENFP
Howard: ENFJ

Last edited:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Clem is not an N.
She's much too scattered for that, there's no big-picture coherency to her behavior.
She is about the most "in the moment" person I have ever seen, whether in cinema or in real life.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Clem is not an N.
She's much too scattered for that, there's no big-picture coherency to her behavior.
She is about the most "in the moment" person I have ever seen, whether in cinema or in real life.

hmmm....i can be both those ways too. i think i have to disagree.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Clem is not an N.

Totally agree with you. I hesitated between S and N, but now, I'm sure she's ESFP. Joel is an S too. I can see Mary as ENFP.

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
I'd have to agree with Clementine being an ENFP. I'd even go so far and say she's the ultimate ENFP archetype. I'd say that in her case, being scattered is more related to being a free-thinking artist than S. ALL (like, ALL) ENFPs I know are scattered and in the moment, even more than ESFPs I know. To the argument concerning the clothing style, no, this is NOT the ESFP "stylish and playful" Se way, this is the ENFP "imaginative" Ne way. I'm absolutely sure everything Clementine does mirrors her rich inner world, which she just has to "let out" into the outside world. She doesn't really care about the world as it is, but what it could be like. I even have an ENFP friend who identifies herself with Clementine to a T, including not only her lifestyle, but even such details as the constant changing of hair colour - they don't to that to be Se stylish, they just want to show who they really are, but can't really decide on that - totally NFP.

As to Joel, I honestly have no idea apart from him being an I. I do think there are a few clues pointing to him having a strong N, but to tell the truth I don't think there is enough information in the movie to figure his type out.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'd have to agree with Clementine being an ENFP. I'd even go so far and say she's the ultimate ENFP archetype. I'd say that in her case, being scattered is more related to being a free-thinking artist than S. ALL (like, ALL) ENFPs I know are scattered and in the moment, even more than ESFPs I know. To the argument concerning the clothing style, no, this is NOT the ESFP "stylish and playful" Se way, this is the ENFP "imaginative" Ne way. I'm absolutely sure everything Clementine does mirrors her rich inner world, which she just has to "let out" into the outside world. She doesn't really care about the world as it is, but what it could be like. I even have an ENFP friend who identifies herself with Clementine to a T, including not only her lifestyle, but even such details as the constant changing of hair colour - they don't to that to be Se stylish, they just want to show who they really are, but can't really decide on that - totally NFP.

As to Joel, I honestly have no idea apart from him being an I. I do think there are a few clues pointing to him having a strong N, but to tell the truth I don't think there is enough information in the movie to figure his type out.

I agree....ENFPs seem more scatterbrained to me than ESFPs (who give off an airhead impression, even if they are not). I think its Ne randomness plus actually being less connected to the moment. I think she is following Ne whims and not Se impulses also. She runs with her idea in the moment, not with a physical sensation. IDK, she just reminds me of every ENFP I've known. I see some ESFP similarities, and my ESFP sister relates to her character though, but there's some major differences.

I can see Joel as ISFJ now actually. He's so withdrawn and depressed he is hard to type though.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I thought Clementine was too eccentric to be an ESFP. I mean, my sister is ESFP, and while she is bubbly and all that, she is very precise about what she looks like (her clothes, her make-up, etc.,), and she really has a distaste for people who, in her words, "try to be different." And Clementine, to me, seemed to be way less precise about her appearance (she was actually downright sloppy, kind of hobo-esque), and was more concerned with just expressing herself, which made her seem more eccentric. Eccentric is the last thing I'd call my ESFP sister or any of the other ESFPs I've known.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I thought Clementine was too eccentric to be an ESFP. I mean, my sister is ESFP, and while she is bubbly and all that, she is very precise about what she looks like (her clothes, her make-up, etc.,), and she really has a distaste for people who, in her words, "try to be different." And Clementine, to me, seemed to be way less precise about her appearance (she was actually downright sloppy, kind of hobo-esque), and was more concerned with just expressing herself, which made her seem more eccentric. Eccentric is the last thing I'd call my ESFP sister or any of the other ESFPs I've known.

Clementine is an ENFP, I think, but some SPs are very eccentric, actually. SP can be artistic, rebellious and punk rock or whatever, so it isn't completely ridiculous to suggest Clementine as being an ESFP.

Although SPs very much care about the way they look, it could still be an offbeat funky "look." When I think of someone who is "precise" about her appearance I think SJ or NJ.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I agree....ENFPs seem more scatterbrained to me than ESFPs (who give off an airhead impression, even if they are not). I think its Ne randomness plus actually being less connected to the moment. I think she is following Ne whims and not Se impulses also. She runs with her idea in the moment, not with a physical sensation. IDK, she just reminds me of every ENFP I've known. I see some ESFP similarities, and my ESFP sister relates to her character though, but there's some major differences.

I can see Joel as ISFJ now actually. He's so withdrawn and depressed he is hard to type though.

Ne is definitely scattered. Ne is randomness.

She does have some qualities that make her seem SP, though, again I don't think it's totally off-base to suggest it. But I think ENFP.

Bowie

MBTI Type
ENTP
Clementine's always screamed ENFP to me.

I could never make a decision on Joel. Definitely some sort of IxxJ.