• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
She does have some qualities that make her seem SP, though, again I don't think it's totally off-base to suggest it. But I think ENFP.

That is not impossible for an ENFP either. I actually mistook the ENFP friend of mine who identifies with Clementine to a T for an ISFP when I was still new to typology, because she's very sensual and fairly down-to-earth. But her way of thinking, creating and living her life is overall very Ne; she just apparently has also a high Se.

And by the way, I know a few ENFPs who could be mistaken for another type for the sole reason that they aren't particularly intelligent or educated, or/and just thoroughly enjoy life. When Ne is too scattered, the individual may end up appearing kind of slow, or spewing dumb ideas. So, it's not like every ENFP (or N, for that matter) must be a super-smart intellectual spending all day constructing theories...:doh: I'd say 'ENFP' is much more about overwhelming imaginative expressiveness and passion for life.

Bowie said:
I could never make a decision on Joel. Definitely some sort of IxxJ.

I'd say the J isn't certain either. Clementine is so extremely P that everyone would seem J in comparison.;)

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I really like the movie and think she is probably enfp, but I can't stand the choices she makes or how she acts. So clueless to those around her.

wolfy

awsm
That was a great movie. Here are my guesses...

Clementine ENFP
I think Joel is ISFP now.

Last edited:

Tofu562

MBTI Type
ENFP
well pretty much if you haven't seen this movie, you need to get on that right away!

but if you have, i totally think jim carrey's character and kate winslet's character are INFJ and ENFP, respectively. what do you guys think?

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, it's been discussed. I agree about Clementine being ENFP, but some think she is ESFP.

I think Joel is likely ISFJ. He is hard to type because he is so withdrawn and depressed though.

Mempy

Mamma said knock you out
Yeah, he struck me as introverted and feeling. She definitely struck me as extroverted.

It is a great movie.

Waffle

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I'd have to go with ENFP... but maybe I'm just being biased. :p

2XtremeENFP

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
3w4
I think if he was ISFJ he wouldnt have left Naomi for her

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think Joel is IxFJ, leaning more towards INFJ 4w5 sp/so. I think this description fits him well, esp the part about his appearing like a six due to a great deal of anxiety and suffering from bouts of self-pity and melancholy when less healthy:

Enneatype Four | Self-pres/Social

This subtype is the least volatile and fiery of the type Four stackings. They can resemble type One in terms of their efficiency and practicality. Although their focus will be more on the emotional aesthetic, these Fours do have a considerable practical side. Less flashy than some of the subtypes of Four, they nevertheless have a quiet charm and developed sense of style. They are likely to value their possessions, to perhaps collect items of personal emotional significance. They may, for instance, have shelves and shelves of books and have a place for each book. This subtype can also resemble type Six in terms of having a great deal of anxiety. This anxiety often revolves around self-pres concerns such as those surrounding health issues and mortality. Their strong self-pres instinct also lends a degree of independence to this subtype. As the sexual instinct is least pronounced, this subtype of Four is prone to romanticize intimacy without actually pursuing real relationships. When healthy, these Fours can be very productive; when less healthy they might suffer from boughts of melancholy or self pity. The strong self-pres instinct however often helps these individuals to recognize how their state of mind is impacting their health and well being. This enables them to become action oriented.

Clementine is ENFP 4w5 sx/sp.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I disagree. I think Joel is a 9w1. He's extremely passive and self-forgetting, perpetually kind and a follower, absolutely not confrontative but with repessed anger. Often feel ignored by peoples. Clémentine in comparaison is clearly a 7w8. She's always driven to compulsively seek excitment and excess to avoid pain. She have'nt the secretive nature of the 4w5. I agree though that she is Sx/Sp, Joel is more an Sp/Sx than an Sp/So, I think.

Joel and Clémentine are clearly IxFJ and ExFP, but I can't decide about the N or the S. I'd say more INFJ for Joel and ESFP for Clémentine.

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I disagree. I think Joel is a 9w1. He's extremely passive and self-forgetting, perpetually kind and a follower, absolutely not confrontative but with repessed anger. Often feel ignored by peoples.

This is the description for 9w1 sp/sx, or what you suspect Joel to be:

Enneatype Nine | Self-pres/Sexual

This subtype is self-effacing also, but is generally more assertive. They may be the subtype of Nine which is most aware of the boundaries between themselves and others and at the same time, possibly the most frustrated when those boundaries are violated. They can be aware of being walked over and they might even be aware of the anger it causes, but they become frustrated with their seeming inability to control this pattern. This is true, to some degree, of all Nines, but with the self-pres/sexual instinctual stacking, there seems to be a complex and interesting balance between the withdrawing energy caused by the dominant self-pres instinct and the assertive energy of the sexual instinct. This combination seems to raise consciousness of this dynamic.

Getting healthy for this subtype, and for all Nines, involves becoming aware of this dynamic and realizing they do have the power to control their boundaries. Part of this must come from the realization on the part of the Nine that they have invited this overstepping of their boundaries from others by not defining them.
Close relationships will usually work or not for this subtype depending on how well they deal with this issue.

I can definitely see that for him.

Clémentine in comparaison is clearly a 7w8. She's always driven to compulsively seek excitment and excess to avoid pain. She have'nt the secretive nature of the 4w5. I agree though that she is Sx/Sp, Joel is more an Sp/Sx than an Sp/So, I think.

But the point of the 7 is to entertain. I don't think Clementine cares about that at all. She feels and then expresses that feeling. Her actions aren't intended to provoke or shock. She just wants to expresssssss and fulfill every whim so as not to compromise on who she is. So Four.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
But the point of the 7 is to entertain. I don't think Clementine cares about that at all. She feels and then expresses that feeling. Her actions aren't intended to provoke or shock.

I think it's because she's So last.

She just wants to expresssssss and fulfill every whim so as not to compromise on who she is. So Four.

Clémentine is dramatic, moody and melancholic, wich remember the 4. But at the same time, she sayd that she is like "an opened book", that she express everything, and feel bored easily, angry because Joel is so damn boring. Wich remember more the 7.

It's complicated because Sx/Sp 4 looks like 7 and Sx/Sp 7 looks like 4.

Sexual/Self-pres 4

This is a very volatile type. They are driven to form connections but have very high demands of their partners. When their powerful fantasies don’t match reality, they become very restless. They take the fire and passion of the sexual instinct and turn it inward. This can cause both brooding and fiery outbursts. Dramatic mood swings are very likely with this type. This subtype of Four could be considered the most classic Four, because of the way they seem to embody the archetype of the tortured artist, although not all Fours of this subtype are artists. Stereotype aside, this subtype does tend to bring their emotions into focus more readily then the other subtypes of Four. What is under the surface with the self-pres/sexual is now bubbling to the surface. This subtype can resemble type Seven because of their drama, passion for experience and tendency to suffer from frustration when life seems dull. Like type Seven, they can seem to throw themselves into experience.

When healthy, this subtype learns to balance the need for passion with the less obvious need for groundedness which can come from solid and focused relationships with others and with their creative outlets.
Sexual/Self-pres 7

The energy of the sexual instinct is, in some ways, at odds with the type Seven fixation. The Seven’s focus is future oriented and outward, away from the inner world, while the sexual variant is instinctual and dwells on the inner self as far as relationships and identity are concerned. This combination can make for a Seven that can be Four-like in many ways. They can have a flamboyant style and be very moody and intense. In relationships, there is often a push-pull quality. They are very attracted to the falling in love part. The buzz and high of that is very stimulating to them, almost drug-like for them. Their problems come when that buzz wears off. They want to recreate it again and again, but they also have a way of becoming attached and sometimes very dependent on their romantic partners. On the down side, they can be very clingy but don’t want at the same time to lose their freedom. When unhealthy, they can be very selfish in these relationships, things become one-sided in a way that favors the interests of the Seven.

The sexual/self-pres Seven’s addictive behavior with relationships can extend to other areas, like music, and performing in general. The rock star image and lifestyle can be attractive to the sexual Seven. Many rock stars are sexual Sevens the buzz they experience from music can be similar to what they experience in relationships. Creativity can also function as a release of frustration from the boredom.

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think it's because she's So last.

Clémentine is dramatic, moody and melancholic, wich remember the 4. But at the same time, she sayd that she is like "an opened book", that she express everything, and feel bored easily, angry because Joel is so damn boring. Wich remember more the 7.

It's complicated because Sx/Sp 4 looks like 7 and Sx/Sp 7 looks like 4.

Okay so Joel could be either INFJ 9w1 sp/sx or 4w5 sp/so & Clementine could be either ENFP 7w8 sx/sp or 4 sx/sp.

It's all gravy to me ;)

lurker1207

MBTI Type
INTP
Just watched this for the first time and have to say that Clementine is definitely ENFP. My mom is ENFP along with my older female cousin and I've never seen a movie that resembled them so accurately. It was creepy. As for Joel, I would say INFP. Incidentally, my mom's bf is INFP and they've been together for years. They're very cheesy and silly together when it's just them and even though Joel seems more uptight, I think it's just repressed behavior, wanting to be more masculine and all that when he's really fem as hell. I don't think he would be INFJ although I wouldn't rule it out, I've dated one before and he's way less emo than Joel/INFPs and I was the silly one in the relationship. Me. An INTP. baha. But this was a fantastic movie.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Clementine did not have big picture sense. She was impossibly lost in all the detail, obsessed over particular details, and seemed to be a pinball bouncing from one event to the next.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just watched this for the first time and have to say that Clementine is definitely ENFP. My mom is ENFP along with my older female cousin and I've never seen a movie that resembled them so accurately. It was creepy. As for Joel, I would say INFP. Incidentally, my mom's bf is INFP and they've been together for years. They're very cheesy and silly together when it's just them and even though Joel seems more uptight, I think it's just repressed behavior, wanting to be more masculine and all that when he's really fem as hell. I don't think he would be INFJ although I wouldn't rule it out, I've dated one before and he's way less emo than Joel/INFPs and I was the silly one in the relationship. Me. An INTP. baha. But this was a fantastic movie.

i agree totally...i relate a lot to that character...maybe you have to be an enfp or really know one to get how enfp she is... :D