• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
lol.

My guess was based on their dialogue and how they interact. It reminds me so much of how I interact with ENFP, and I've known quite a few INFJ guys and Joel seems to perfectly imitate them.

Well, I figured Joel's type by the nature of the watercolors he painted throughout the movie.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
hey...i do relate to the way she is. i do think she's an enfp for the reasons i listed above. what are yours?

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Um, I think this thread will get moved to the 'celebrity' guessing subforum, I think these characters may have already been discussed.

But, yes -- Clementine is an ENFP! It's actually nice to have a 'positive role model'. LOL. Better than Michael Scott from The Office! I think Joel is INTP or INTJ actually. ENFP + INTP relationships are so textbook, they make for good dramatic fodder.

I really liked this movie, btw. Type related? Huh.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
okay...if that's it then yeah i disagree.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have a .avi copy of this on my fileserver downstairs. Just flipped around the movie a bit. Not really seeing 'T' for Joel at all, at least the way he's portrayed.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Really? I guess because of that almost archetypal ENFP + INTP relationship, I thought he was T. He actually reminded me a lot of my INTP friend.

Lozzy

MBTI Type
ENFJ
I agree with Clem being an ENFP, pretty textbook from my perspective. But Joel, I'm convinced he's a T. Can someone provide some quotes/evidence that suggest he's an F? I'd guess maybe INTP/INTJ.

I think it's just how rigid he is, and doesn't really show much empathy. Maybe it's more of an I thing and he just can't express himself well. He seems to be such a deep thinker to me, which really makes me think NT. He is crazy for Clementine, but any type can fall in love.

Plus, isn't Jim Carrey an ENFP? The role just seems SO radically unlike him, more so than anything else I've seen him in.

anii

homo-loving sonovagun
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
That whole movie feels like an INFP waking dream to me. Love it.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
(moved from NF Idyllic.)

I agree that she's an unmistakable ENFP. But as a few have said, he does seem somewhat INTP to me. It's easy to think F because it's a romantic movie, but INTPs fall in love and become vulnerable and feel hurt, too. To me, the giveaway is how uncomfortable this makes him and how he tries to escape when it goes awry.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
(moved from NF Idyllic.)

I agree that she's an unmistakable ENFP. But as a few have said, he does seem somewhat INTP to me. It's easy to think F because it's a romantic movie, but INTPs fall in love and become vulnerable and feel hurt, too. To me, the giveaway is how uncomfortable this makes him and how he tries to escape when it goes awry.

It's possible. I didn't pay much attention, just skipped around, and my judgment was based on his general portrayal in the movie, but it's a romantic movie so it's expected there's going to be a lot of feelings & values motivating everything. Might have to watch it again in full and look for repeated clues :)

Mempy

Mamma said knock you out
I completely agree on her being ENFP...he seemed more ISTx to me though. Just seemed pretty practical-minded (though maybe just in comparison to her...) I didn't get anything that said "N" about him, though to be fair he doesn't say all that much, and there's other types I could see him being...INTJ, INFJ, etc.

edit: something that just occurred to me, I've noticed that a lot of times people identify main characters/likeable characters with their own type. Maybe the best-written characters have traits that many people can identify with.

I think you may be right about people identifying main characters with themselves and their own type. Now that I think about it, I don't remember any specific evidence for him being N or S. Maybe I just superimposed an N impression on him. I could relate to how quiet and awkward he was, and how he didn't know what to say to her except "You seem nice." He seemed a little too accommodating in that "first" conversation to be a T. But that's weak evidence for F; Ts can be polite too. Edit: She seemed a lot more rude and seemed to run roughshod over him, which seems a little odd if she were an EF and he an IT, but that could have just been a function of her Extroversion. I question whether she was necessarily F; to me, she could easily have been T.

It's also completely possible that he straddled some fences with regard to N/S, T/F, and whatever else. Especially as people age, I think they straddle fences more and more.

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind?

I just watched this movie again for like the tenth time and I'm pretty sure about Joel's type but I dunno about Clementine's.

Joel: INFP
Clementine: ENTJ

Opinions? Different ideas?

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
I've thought about this a bit since it's a fav of mine.

Joel: INFJ (not positive on the J)
Clementine: ENFP

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I've thought about this a bit since it's a fav of mine.

Joel: INFJ (not positive on the J)
Clementine: ENFP
I think Joel is an INFP, because he and I share many of the same qualities; although, INFPs and INFJs are very much alike so either of us could be correct.

Qre:us

Clementine? ENTJ? HOW?!!! :shock:

She was the most starkingly ENFP character to me. It was like seeing an archetypical ENFP on screen.

Joel seems IxxJ. (I'd guess ISTJ)

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Clementine? ENTJ? HOW?!!! :shock:

She was the most starkingly ENFP character to me. It was like seeing an archetypical ENFP on screen.

Joel seems IxxJ. (I'd guess ISTJ)
Joel's not an ST. I guessed Clementine was an ENTJ because I believe Joel is an INFP, and us INFPs are often attracted to ENTJs who share many of Clementine's qualities.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
Joel was an ISFJ, with all that passive agrressivenes, repressed feelings, and living in the past.

Clamentine was an ESFP.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Clem was an ExFP, for sure. And Joel was just a p*ssy. But I loved that film. The cinematography was beautiful.