• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Strong, interesting fictional characters... help!

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Please help me out on this!

I am searching for strong, interesting fictional characters of every type. I want to use them as examples of the types, so they have to be quite clear.

So far, I've got (mostly of Harry Potter - can you correct if I'm wrong about their type?):

ESTJ: Vernon Dursley (Harry Potter)
ISTJ: ???
ESFJ: Molly Weasley, Gilderoy Lockhart (Harry Potter)
ISFJ: Don José (opera Carmen)

ENTJ: Stach (Koning van Katoren)
INTJ: Voldemort (Harry Potter)
ENTP: prof. Gobelijn (Jommeke)
INTP: ???

ESTP: Horace Slughorn (Harry Potter)
ISTP: Arthur Weasley (Harry Potter)
ESFP: Ludo Bagman (Harry Potter), Lambik (Suske & Wiske)
ISFP: Harry Potter (Harry Potter)

ENFJ: Dolores Umbridge (Harry Potter)
INFJ: ???
ENFP: Carmen (opera Carmen)
INFP: Bastian Bux (Neverending Story)

Thank you!

I think you are using way too much harry potter :D

ENFJ: Morgan Freeman as God in "Bruce All Mighty"/"Evan All Mighty" (like any of his characters except maybe his one in Fast Black)
ESTP: James T. Kirk (Star Trek 2009)

These are the most perfect I could think of...

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
So you want movies and TV shows as well? I'll think about that.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
So you want movies and TV shows as well? I'll think about that.
Problem is, me being from Belgium, I probably don't know most TV shows. I'm also not really a movie fan, too...
Actually, I'm making some web pages (in Dutch...) about MBTI to add to my website about writing. The purpose is to make it understandable, informative and fun to Dutch-speaking people... That's why I include Jan Terlouw, which is a classic in our regio.

What about Roald Dahl characters? Matilda (ENTJ?), Mrs. Trunchbull (ENTJ too? Both Matilda and Trunchbull devise very original punishments...) Willy Wonka (ENTP?)...

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What about Roald Dahl characters? Matilda (ENTJ?), Mrs. Trunchbull (ENTJ too? Both Matilda and Trunchbull devise very original punishments...) Willy Wonka (ENTP?)...
I agree on Mrs. Trunchbull, but I would be more prone to call Matilda an introvert. If she were an ENTJ, I would expect her to enlist some of her classmates and not to be so private and independent.

My guesses for some other Roald Dahl characters:

Mr. Wormwood - ESTP
Mrs. Wormwood - ESTJ
Ms. Honey - INFJ

The BFG - ENFP
Sophie - INFJ

Willy Wonka - ENTP (I agree with you)

George (from George's Marvelous Medicine) - INTP

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
Problem is, me being from Belgium, I probably don't know most TV shows. I'm also not really a movie fan, too...
Actually, I'm making some web pages (in Dutch...) about MBTI to add to my website about writing. The purpose is to make it understandable, informative and fun to Dutch-speaking people... That's why I include Jan Terlouw, which is a classic in our regio.

Ok. If I come up with some super well-known characters, I'll let you know :)

Tamske said:

I haven't read Matilda and it's been a while since I saw the movie, but in the movie she was definitely an INFP in my opinion, and Ms. Honey as well. The little girl who played Matilda had such beautiful tender eyes that she might have added to my typing, but I do believe that in fiction, the bookworm dreamer who deeply cares of those s/he loves (and often is an outsider) is usually an INFP. Mrs. Trunchbull was certainly some sort of an ExTJ and Matilda's family were definitely very strong (and obnoxious) Ss, to provide a contrast.

I haven't read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory yet, so I can't be of any help with Willy Wonka at the moment.

incubustribute

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Haha:

ISTJ - Hank Hill (King of the Hill)
ISFJ - Alfred (The Dark Knight) - (ironically a butler (damnit!!))
INTJ - Professor Snape (Harry Potter)
INFJ - Thom Yorke (Radiohead)
ISTP - James Bond
ISFP - Jimi Hendrix
INTP - Einstein
INFP - Jon Stewart
ESTJ - Dwight (The Office)
ESFJ - Mrs. Weasley (Harry Potter)
ENTJ - Les Grossman (Tropic Thunder)
ENFJ - Aslan (Narnia)
ESTP - Jack Nicholson
ESFP - Ron Weasley (Harry Potter)
ENTP - House (House M.D.)
ENFP - Peter Griffin (Family Guy) or Michael Scott (The Office)

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Matilda INFP - no way. She's interested in theories rather than mystic connections. When she realised she had this telekinetic abilities, the first thing she wanted to do is experiment to see what the limits of her abilities were. And she isn't that spontaneous - on the contrary, whenever she has an idea she will make a coherent plan first. INTJ seems okay... though she has some extravert tendencies (but who hasn't?).

Anne of Green Gables is quite the chatterbox. I've skimmed the pages again... I see some ENFP characteristics too. But if you look at the functions... it's Ne at the service of Fi, not vice versa. I'm happy to find an INFP example who's not this seclused.

George (of George's Marvelous Medicine) INTP - yes. And his father, Mr. Kranky, is an ENTP! (Why oh why didn't they think of keeping some of that medicine to let it be tested chemically?!). What type would that awful grandma be? I'll reread the book!

Before I add Mrs. Wormwood and Miss Honey, I'll reread that book too... On first sight, ESTJ and INFJ seem right, though. (Yay, an INFJ! I lack examples of that one!)

So far, I've got now:
("De zes snaren" is my novel... Of course I include that one on my website, for a bit of publicity. I've added them here too, because I want you to know of which types I have examples and of which ones I lack)

ESTJ:
Vernon Dursley (Harry Potter, J.K. Rowling)
Eustace Clarence Scrubb (Narnia, C.S. Lewis)
Marilla (Anne of Green Gables, )
Tann (De zes snaren)
Arduin (De zes snaren)
Miran (De vierde god, work in progress...)

ISTJ:

ESFJ:
Molly Weasley (Harry Potter, J.K. Rowling)

ISFJ:

ESTP:
Horace Slughorn (Harry Potter, J.K. Rowling)
Mr. Wormwood (Matilda, R. Dahl)

ISTP:
Arthur Weasley (Harry Potter, J.K. Rowling)

ESFP:
Lambik (Suske en Wiske, W. Vandersteen)
Dickon (The secret garden, F.H. Burnett)
Aayu (De zes snaren)

ISFP:
Mary Lennox (The secret garden, F.H. Burnett)

ENTJ:
Stach (Koning van Katoren, J. Terlouw)
Mrs. Trunchbull (Matilda, R. Dahl)

INTJ:
Voldemort (Harry Potter, J.K. Rowling)<br>
Severus Sneep (Harry Potter, J.K. Rowling)<br>
Colin Craven (De geheime tuin, ...)<br>
Matilda (Matilda, R. Dahl)

ENTP:
Prof. Gobelijn (Jommeke, J. Nys)
Fred and George Weasley (Harry Potter, J.K. Rowling)
Mr. Kranky (George's Marvelous Medicine, R. Dahl)
Willy Wonka (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, R. Dahl)

INTP:
Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, A.C. Doyle)
De Instrumentenbouwer (De zes snaren)
George (George's Marvelous Medicine, R. Dahl)

ENFJ:
Raacheld (De zes snaren)

INFJ:

ENFP:
narrator (The Jang phenomenon, T. Lee)
Carmen (Carmen, Bizet)
The BFG (The BFG, R. Dahl)

INFP:
Anne (Anne of Green Gables, L.M. Montgomery)
Bastiaan Balthazar Boeckx (The neverending story, M. Ende)
Isa (Isa's dream, M. Kunst)

Still searching for:
a nice ENFJ (Raacheld is an annoying manipulating one) (more nice ENFJs are always welcome, of course)
some INFJs, ISFJs and ISTJs... (I'm going to check Mrs. Honey)
a nasty ESFJ, ISTP, ESFP, ISFP, ENTP, INTP and INFP (I've created a very dark INFP on the verge of destroying the world, but that one isn't fit for publication yet.)

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
Matilda INFP - no way. She's interested in theories rather than mystic connections. When she realised she had this telekinetic abilities, the first thing she wanted to do is experiment to see what the limits of her abilities were. And she isn't that spontaneous - on the contrary, whenever she has an idea she will make a coherent plan first. INTJ seems okay... though she has some extravert tendencies (but who hasn't?).

Well, only based on the movie, I'd have to disagree. Again, I haven't read the book, but in the movie she seemed like an INFP. You're fully entitled to disagree, but I think so because everything she was doing was extremely based on Fi. She "punishes" all the people around her who somehow violate her values and morals and she fiercely protects her loved ones. Besides that, at the beginning she hermits herself in her fantasy world which she deeply loves (no analyzis whatsoever), which is also typical for NFs, as well as her desire to found someone who will understand her and love her. She would also definitely never put Te before Fi. I'm not trying to imply that real-life NTs can't do the same, but Matilda is a skillfully written character constituing a type of character, and that type would be INFP, imo. Perhaps in the book she was really more of a thinker, but bear in mind that mystical connections =/= INFP and theories and experiments =/= INTJ. Besides, INFPs are typically not too spontaneous (not every INFP is Anne Shirley ;)), and every plan requires planning, doesn't it? :) I wonder what the book Matilda is like, perhaps she came across different in the movie.

If you're looking for a fictional INFJ, I would offer Sara Crew in The Little Princess (also by Frances Hodgson Burnett).

Kaveri

MBTI Type
intp
ISFJ:
Melanie (Gone With The Wind)
David Copperfield (David Copperfield, Charles Dickens)

IxFJ:
Elinor Dashwood (Sense And Sensibility, Jane Austen)
Please someone tell wether she's an ISFJ or an INFJ!

NF:
Sara Crewe (A Little Princess, F. H. Burnett)
Perhaps she's an ENFJ?

ESTP:
Scarlett O'Hara (Gone With The Wind)
Heathcliffe (Wuthering Heights, Emily Brontë)

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
IxFJ:
Elinor Dashwood (Sense And Sensibility, Jane Austen)
Please someone tell wether she's an ISFJ or an INFJ!

In fact, I think0 she is an ISTJ or an INTJ. Definitely a thinker. It would match the idea of "sense", and provide a contrast for Marianne, who is ENFP. Anne Elliot in Persuasion is either an INFJ or an INFP, though.

Kaveri said:
ESTP:
Scarlett O'Hara (Gone With The Wind)
Heathcliffe (Wuthering Heights, Emily Brontë)

I'm not sure if I agree with Scarlett O'Hara, but it suits Heathcliff just right. What type do you think Catherine is?

Kaveri said:
Why not ENFJ?

Well, she didn't strike me as an extrovert at all. She seemed a little more extroverted in the movie version with Shirley Temple, but in the book she seemed very distant and private to me, living in her head most of the time, even though she interacted with other people through Fe. I think Alfonso Cuaron was very truthful to this in his version from 1997, although even he pictured her a little less distant than she striked me in the book. Burnett was very good with introverted characters, I think.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm not sure if I agree with Scarlett O'Hara, but it suits Heathcliff just right. What type do you think Catherine is?

Scarlett = ENTJ - She is pretty controlling, albeit in a manipulative way

Heatcliffe = INTJ = went off, made money, came home to rub peoples noses in in.

Cathy = ESFP - possibly ENFP at a push....

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
Heatcliffe = INTJ = went off, made money, came home to rub peoples noses in in.

Cathy = ESFP - possibly ENFP at a push....

I know where you're coming from with Heathcliff, but I seriously don't think he's intuitive. He didn't show it a single time; he's all about being wild and passionate, he prefers action, and he doesn't show any morals. I don't think that all dark male characters who strive for vengeance are INTJs. If I compare Heathcliffe for example to Mr Darcy, I really fail to see any similarity apart from being charismatic. Cathy might be an ENFJ, actually. She is more of an extroverted feeler, and ill-behaved ENFJ might be pretty wild and passionate. She is also the typical 'fatal woman'... That's more of an ENFJ archetype, I think.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
I know where you're coming from with Heathcliff, but I seriously don't think he's intuitive. He didn't show it a single time; he's all about being wild and passionate, he prefers action, and he doesn't show any morals. I don't think that all dark male characters who strive for vengeance are INTJs. If I compare Heathcliffe for example to Mr Darcy, I really fail to see any similarity apart from being charismatic. Cathy might be an ENFJ, actually. She is more of an extroverted feeler, and ill-behaved ENFJ might be pretty wild and passionate. She is also the typical 'fatal woman'... That's more of an ENFJ archetype, I think.

I can buy both of those

Cathy and an ENFJ....
Heatthcliff as an ISTJ - I woulnd't have seen INTJs as striving fo revenge, more higher levels of performance.

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
Heatthcliff as an ISTJ - I woulnd't have seen INTJs as striving fo revenge, more higher levels of performance.

I'd say that any type can strive for revenge :) It depends on their experiences. Heathcliff was referred by others as behaving like a wild animal (or something around these lines), which really doesn't sound ISTJ-ish at all.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Well, only based on the movie, I'd have to disagree. Again, I haven't read the book, but in the movie she seemed like an INFP. You're fully entitled to disagree, but I think so because everything she was doing was extremely based on Fi. She "punishes" all the people around her who somehow violate her values and morals and she fiercely protects her loved ones. Besides that, at the beginning she hermits herself in her fantasy world which she deeply loves (no analyzis whatsoever), which is also typical for NFs, as well as her desire to found someone who will understand her and love her. She would also definitely never put Te before Fi. I'm not trying to imply that real-life NTs can't do the same, but Matilda is a skillfully written character constituing a type of character, and that type would be INFP, imo. Perhaps in the book she was really more of a thinker, but bear in mind that mystical connections =/= INFP and theories and experiments =/= INTJ. Besides, INFPs are typically not too spontaneous (not every INFP is Anne Shirley ;)), and every plan requires planning, doesn't it? :) I wonder what the book Matilda is like, perhaps she came across different in the movie.
True, all true, but the book is VERY different from the movie. In the movie, she gets her ideas by looking at things - by Ne, I would say. But in the book... not. Firstly she decides something needs to be done and then she starts thinking how, while 'looking' at the television like her parents want her to do. There are also scenes in the movie that were not there in the book - eg. when she gets into the house of Trunchbull, or when she destroys the television,... Nothing. Perhaps all this has been added to (1) make everything more visual (you can't watch a Ni working - but you can describe it), (2) get some action in it and (3) romanticize.
The book Matilda is definitely a Judger. I would say a T too - she's practical and individualistic before she's caring.

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
True, all true, but the book is VERY different from the movie. In the movie, she gets her ideas by looking at things - by Ne, I would say. But in the book... not. Firstly she decides something needs to be done and then she starts thinking how, while 'looking' at the television like her parents want her to do. There are also scenes in the movie that were not there in the book - eg. when she gets into the house of Trunchbull, or when she destroys the television,... Nothing. Perhaps all this has been added to (1) make everything more visual (you can't watch a Ni working - but you can describe it), (2) get some action in it and (3) romanticize.
The book Matilda is definitely a Judger. I would say a T too - she's practical and individualistic before she's caring.

Ok, you convinced me :) They might have altered the character in the movie, and the actress probably changed her vibe as well. It happens quite often, and it always pisses me off :D

But the book regardless, the movie was sweet.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Ok, you convinced me :) They might have altered the character in the movie, and the actress probably changed her vibe as well. It happens quite often, and it always pisses me off :D
Me too. It especially annoys me when they make everything 'easier' and 'more clear'.
I guess that's also the reason for that Perceiver!Matilda. You just can't show her looking at the television for a while and expect the audience to know that she's actually plotting a revenge. (That's how it's described in the book) So you've got to 'show' somehow her train of thoughts in the environment. Also, spontaneity sells, doesn't it? Argh!
I've watched the end of 'Charlotte's Web' - and it frustrated the heck out of me! Why all that talk at the end? The story was over when the pig was saved. I don't need you to explain the morale. (I don't know whether the book has the same endless explanations, as I haven't read it yet.)