• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

possible istp musicians

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
in the past, we have heard

pj harvey
jimmy page
john patitucci
possibly frank zappa (intj or istp? i think istp)
i'm guessing ted nugent

i'm also thinking, possibly,
isaac brock 5w4?
doug martsch
rivers cuomo 3w4
nick thorburn

they have that extremely difficult i will fuck with you you are wrong i will not back down kind of istp vibe to me. Ti with tertiary Ni, but mostly Se telling them they are right, right, right. very very confrontational and in love with conflict.

the next closest, i find, in outright rejection is infp in Fi Si mode.

and what the fuck is ben gibbard, is he in this category (bc i think i think he is). what are the enneagram types for these people. are there more guitar people in this type, or is it suprisingly songwritery?

j mascis was briefly considered as istp instead of infp as well. which i could possibly see.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think PJ Harvey is ISFP.

I think Iggy Pop may be ISTP, definitely an SP.

I have a feeling that STPs tend to be drummers and guitarists more than songwriters, not that they can't be songwriters though.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
what are your positions on the people i mentioned?

also, did iggy actually write search and destroy?

compulsiverambler

Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
good call. any more? do you think istps gravitate towards guitar? does this only enhance my doug martsch guess, or is he isfp like his hero neil young?
Sorry, I'm familiar with very few musicians' personalities. Really just SoaD and Morrissey. :D I wouldn't be surprised if Shavo and possibly John (who might be INFJ) from System of a Down were ISTPs too, but they don't get as much interview time so it's harder to say.

I suppose guitar could appeal to Ti-Se, now you mention it.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
also, what about eminem? are we over the eminem is an intj discussion?

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
what are your positions on the people i mentioned?

I don't know about them enough... I'd guess Gibbard is FP though... ISFP.

also, did iggy actually write search and destroy?

I don't know what he actually wrote....are those lyrics credited to him? I don't see why he couldn't have wrote it. His lyrics generally have a Ti Se Ni feel.

also, what about eminem? are we over the eminem is an intj discussion?

haha....INTJ? I could see him as ISTP, yeah. His humor seems very STP.

BlueinGreen

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
David Bowie? Maybe?

A lot of shredder-type guitarists are probably istp. Petrucci, Satriani, etc.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have a feeling that STPs tend to be drummers and guitarists more than songwriters, not that they can't be songwriters though.

I'm an ISTP and I have never developed any particular interest with guitar or drum. I like to play with Guitar Hero sometimes, but that's all. From my own perspective, a guitarist is just a guy who scrapers ropes* and a drummer, a guy who strikes on drums and it seems boring (I still opened to every expreriences though;)). At the contrary, I've always been fascinating by singers and dancers and I love to sing and dance, and I've frequently perform in theses arts for the past and for the now and if I believe what peoples say about, I'm very good with at this. Regarding to songwriting, I've never done that, even if I'm very good at writing according to my own experience on that field. I frequently improvize rap, though. I'm really versed in improvisation and above all interpretation, and sometimes writing, yes, but not songwriting.

On the other hand, my parents have sent me to some lessons of solfege when I was child and I hated that, I would probably hate that now too. But I like to compose, I like to play composition with the Pro Tools, it's fun. By the way, the stereotypes about roles in a band I usually find are: behind-the-scene= drummer, chart-the-course= guitarist, getting-things-going= singer, dancer, in-charge= singer, manager, and I'm really more attracted by the "extroverts" roles. Elsewhere, I think music is largely more interesting when it's a way to get money, drug and groupies than when it'z just music for the sake of music.

Ah, by the way, I'm agree to type Frank Zappa, Iggy Popp and Eminem as ISTPs. Eminem is also a 6w5. David bowie is more likely an F.
*OMG, I've just wrote that and I've felt a compulsive need to play guitar, shit!:cry:

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was thinking Stevie Wonder again (as I always suspected). Most believe he is INFJ, but he seemed a bit more ST earlier on. Otherwise, INFJ and ISTP are very close, cognitively. ("Supplement" type; the next closest after the I/E "Pal")

Many probably don't realize that he had had a severe accident with a log smacking him on the right side of the head in the 70's. (Almost died!) He then seemed to change a bit, seeming more right brain (P) before that, and it was after that when all of this N and especially F seemed to develop (along with J). It seems to figure that trauma to the right side of the head might possibly trigger a switch to the closest type on the left side of the brain.
I had been planning to post a whole analysis looking at the themes of all of his songs (since he was grown and writing for himself), but just haven't had time.
Also, being physically limited because of his blindness, might turn him more to the N side (TiNi, greatly resembling an INFJ's NiTi), but it seemed like from his youngest times, he displayed as much Se as he could. (Being rambunctious, a rebellious streak, etc). And of course, the Se comes out in being so good with misic, both performing and having a good ear for sounds. The ingenuity with it also seems like a dom. Ti.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
my take on bowie is entj with all of the entj/estp similarities. i see Ni.

stevie wonder seems like an sp to me, but admittedly i haven't done my research and don't really listen to his music much.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Stevie Wonder= xSFP, I think.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I've think of Stevie as an enfp because of the whole god/vision/embrace the world sort of message his music seems to deliver.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

stevie wonder seems like an sp to me, but admittedly i haven't done my research and don't really listen to his music much.

I'll agree with you on Bowie, now that I have some real-life comparisons to think about. entj he is.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
in the past, we have heard

pj harvey
jimmy page
john patitucci
possibly frank zappa (intj or istp? i think istp)
i'm guessing ted nugent

i'm also thinking, possibly,
isaac brock 5w4?
doug martsch
rivers cuomo 3w4
nick thorburn

they have that extremely difficult i will fuck with you you are wrong i will not back down kind of istp vibe to me. Ti with tertiary Ni, but mostly Se telling them they are right, right, right. very very confrontational and in love with conflict.

the next closest, i find, in outright rejection is infp in Fi Si mode.

and what the fuck is ben gibbard, is he in this category (bc i think i think he is). what are the enneagram types for these people. are there more guitar people in this type, or is it suprisingly songwritery?

j mascis was briefly considered as istp instead of infp as well. which i could possibly see.

Might Nugent be enfp? He seems a bit out there with the fancy philosophical approach to killing animals.

PJ, Jimmy and Zappa are istps.

I still think Iggy's an intj simply because the guy projects what he wants to accomplish (in the Raw Power notes, he mentions that he set out make his stamp in history).

Rivers is a touchy infp.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
At the contrary, I've always been fascinating by singers and dancers and I love to sing and dance

Regarding to songwriting, I've never done that, even if I'm very good at writing according to my own experience on that field. I frequently improvize rap, though. I'm really versed in improvisation and above all interpretation, and sometimes writing, yes, but not songwriting.

By the way, the stereotypes about roles in a band I usually find are: behind-the-scene= drummer, chart-the-course= guitarist, getting-things-going= singer, dancer, in-charge= singer, manager, and I'm really more attracted by the "extroverts" roles.

I didn't mean to exclude singing for ISTPs....my emphasis was actually on a preference to perform songs over writing songs. The way you express improvising over writing seems to confirm that. SPs seem to enjoy something for what it is, which is cool. I need a bigger reason.

For instance, my ISFP step-dad used to get together with his friends and just hang out and play guitar, but he never got into songwriting. Whereas, the only reason I'd ever want to play guitar is just to make something new with it...the physical process itself is not exciting to me. That's why, although I have a behind the scenes style, drumming would not be for me.

Bowie most definitely has strong Ni. I notice strong Ni users like to create personas for their public image that are very SP-like. I was thinking of Bat For Lashes who was types INFJ in another thread and an alternate persona she spoke of creating, ands it reminded me of Bowie and all his incarnations.

I would guess SP for Wonder also.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Miles Davis has always given off a very ISTP-ish vibe. He could well have been. Definitely one of the coolest guys ever.

JTG1984

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Bowie ENTJ? I'm not buying it give me some more reasons why you think so.