• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mary Sue type?

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
A Mary Sue is a 'perfect' character. The term originates from fanfiction. The fan author inserts a female (*) character who gets all the cool boys, is the most beautiful, the smartest, the... you name it. If anybody is her enemy, it's because they are jealous. In short, the character lives all the wishes and dreams of the author.
Eg. a Mary Sue in a Harry Potter fanfiction can convert Voldemort to the good side because she's just so beautiful and innocent etc...

Here's the Wikipedia page: Mary Sue - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(*) The male version is called a Gary Stu.

What type would a Mary Sue be? Or can they be of any type?
Or does it depend on the story - eg. an E/I-NFP in a fantasy world and a E/I-NTP in a science fiction world?

I'm betting on N because - just because of that "ideal" image of N. A Mary Sue has a deeper understanding of her environment than anybody else. Unlike her, real human Intuitors aren't always right with their 'understanding'.

I'm also leaning towards P... Of course, again, this is not the real Perceiver who is too late for classes and gets berated. This is the one who's too late for classes and gets berated, but turns out to be RIGHT because there WAS something more important to do.

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
It can be any type I'm sure.

But if it makes you feel better, I know an INFJ Mary Sue.
It's bothersome :azdaja:.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
It can be any type I'm sure.

Probably true, as the (fiction) world adapts to them. I've fantasized some time about being a defence against the dark arts teacher at Hogwarts - and suddenly the magic followed physical laws and we were discovering spells to get rid of friction etc. Of course, Voldemort was defeated by a combination of a frictionless floor, a mini black hole absorbing the avada kedavra curse,... In short... in an ENTP way. You just construct the fiction world such that your character (type) is the best.

This is interesting :D Probably you can construct a world for every type to make them the best...

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
Great thread! I thought about this a while ago but went eh. I started to write about it here but it didn't really take off. http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...mplete-me-mbti-romance.html?highlight=romance

I'm going to say xxFP female and generally IxFx female. Here's my copy and paste reasoning:
I notice that (n)FP/(n)TJ dynamic seems very Mary Sue in terms of the FP thinking they'll chill or thaw the arctic TJ heart. It's very romance book. I stopped reading them at 18. The FP/TJ dynamic can also turn quite sadomasochistic a la Secretary. Or the free-spirited FP will loosen up the buttoned-down business suited TJ. Also, the TJ controls the FP so firmly that her (yes her), only release is to paint, or write. Or the FP expects the TJ to bring some type of order to her(!) life due to her inability to consistently order her life in any functional way. Eventually the FP will come to resent this relentless control that she herself wanted at first and her desire to escape and involve herself in romantic escapades will result in some torrid and ill-fated affair. Or she'll just journal and daydream about it. Or, various assortment of FPs are battling against some TJ machine to stop the destruction of a local wildlife habitat to make way for an upscale strip mall and somehow fall in love. But that's just a variant of the FP thawing the TJ heart.

I feel like female FPs as portrayed in movies and TV are very good at conveying a very wide-eyed "help me" personas, innocence as you've already mentioned, optimism, and making people want to protect and care for them.

Princess Diana (a Fi-dom) did this very naturally with the "Shy Di" look she's famous for.

diana-spencer.jpg

dianaDM0806_468x466.jpg

princess-diana_011.jpg

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
To proteanmix:

That was a wonderful post. Very well put.
I've seen this sort of dynamic praised in our society a lot.

INFPtheQuietOne

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
I'd say INFP is the Mary Sue type in fiction because the Mary Sues I knew mostly typed as INFPs, but maybe any other types could also fit like INFJ.