• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Ultimate INFP ManWhore

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's also why she and Clint Eastwood has such amazing chemistry in the movie, The Bridges of Madison County. infj/istp is a great combo. I bet it surprised even them.

Fecal McAngry

I just watched the video- She SCREAMS introverted intuition. Ni-Fe. INFJ for sure.

Personally, I think it's risky to try and type a person based on what you perceive their secondary function to be, because the secondary function is likely to be highly influenced by the dominant function. Always start with THE dominant function- in this case, introverted intuition.
In fact, what you believe to be Ni is Ne.

With all types, where there is any doubt, the least fallible and most trouble-free process is to begin by describing what is actually there. In interview situations, one of the easiest things to do is to begin by noticing what function is hitting you right over the head, linguistically speaking. If you get bopped over the head, consistently, with open-ended perceptions about concrete physical realities, you may know nothing else, but you know you are dealing with an SP. If you are bludgeoned by definitive, universal organizational logic, you know you are dealing with a TJ. Obviously, some caveats apply--a sufficiently large sample, no desire on the part of the subject to deceive, etc.--and of course, noting the extroverted function doesn't tell you anything other than what it tells you. If you know someone extroverts thinking, for example, that knowledge in and of itself will not tell you if you are dealing with an ESTJ who is strongly dominant in Te, or an INTJ for whom Te is comparatively vestigial...

visaisahero

MBTI Type
ENTP
I am as Ne-dominant as you can possibly get, and I know it when I see it, believe me! :)

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
In fact, what you believe to be Ni is Ne.

With all types, where there is any doubt, the least fallible and most trouble-free process is to begin by describing what is actually there. In interview situations, one of the easiest things to do is to begin by noticing what function is hitting you right over the head, linguistically speaking. If you get bopped over the head, consistently, with open-ended perceptions about concrete physical realities, you may know nothing else, but you know you are dealing with an SP. If you are bludgeoned by definitive, universal organizational logic, you know you are dealing with a TJ. Obviously, some caveats apply--a sufficiently large sample, no desire on the part of the subject to deceive, etc.--and of course, noting the extroverted function doesn't tell you anything other than what it tells you. If you know someone extroverts thinking, for example, that knowledge in and of itself will not tell you if you are dealing with an ESTJ who is strongly dominant in Te, or an INTJ for whom Te is comparatively vestigial...

If you are an intuitive who uses an introverted judging function, how accurate can you be relying on a sensory judging methodology, like watching people in vids and judging what function they use?

As for me, I see this kind of thing better with my peripheral vision, i.e. intuition, not looking it directly in the face.

Fecal McAngry

It's also why she and Clint Eastwood has such amazing chemistry in the movie, The Bridges of Madison County. infj/istp is a great combo. I bet it surprised even them.
Clint is an ISTP, yes.

Sean Penn is another INFP, and he had equally great chemistry with Clint while making Mystic River.

I have had great working experiences with ISTPs.

None of us are INFJs.

Fecal McAngry

If you are an intuitive who uses an introverted judging function, how accurate can you be relying on a sensory judging methodology, like watching people in vids and judging what function they use?

As for me, I see this kind of thing better with my peripheral vision, i.e. intuition, not looking it directly in the face.
I honestly have not constructed a hierarchy for which types are best at typing others, however I don't believe a strong preference for sensing is advantageous. INFPs of course use sensing, but as a funnel into iNtuition for most purposes.
When it comes to you typing people--
Remember, as the saying goes, introverted intuition is reliable, but it isn't infallible. Which is to say that you may be right using Ni much of the time and not going to the trouble to examine things more closely. But in some situations it might be better to use a another, or other functions...

This is a situation IMHO where you have jumped to x conclusion, but x is not supported by the evidence.

It can be touchy for me to deal with IN_J's in this situation, because once they have already made up their mind, once they've jumped on the Ni "thought train" they may be impervious to outside influences.

In any case, here's an MS interview: Meryl Streep Interview - Adaptation Movie

As is the case with INFP interviews, you see predominantly intuition supported by an internal compass of personal valuation/truth, but you also see a smattering of sensation and objective organizational logic...

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It can be touchy for me to deal with IN_J's in this situation, because once they have already made up their mind, once they've jumped on the Ni "thought train" they may be impervious to outside influences.

:jesus: Yes, it is wise to fear the judgment of the One Ni. Tread carefully,and consider yourself warned.
:harhar:

As is the case with INFP interviews, you see predominantly intuition supported by an internal compass of personal valuation/truth, but you also see a smattering of sensation and objective organizational logic...

Haha. Fecal, are you rambling? :smooch:

Fecal McAngry

Fecal McAngry

:jesus: Yes, it is wise to fear the judgment of the One Ni. Tread carefully,and consider yourself warned.
:harhar:
It isn't the judgment per se that causes problems for the Ni dom so much as it is the inability to effectively process new data once a decision has been made. My experience with INFJs is minimal by comparison to my experience with INTJs, but I can give you examples of INTJs I know who reached their conclusions on the "correct" theory of nutrition, linguistics, exercise, politics, whatever 30+ years ago and steadfastly refuse to allow themselves to be influenced by new, contradictory information...

One of the huge advantages INFP actors have over INFJ actors is the fact they are, from a functional perspective, far more present-bound than future-bound. They don't jump on an Ni-train and act on automatic pilot, they remain open to the experience via Ne and Fi, both of which are present-oriented, and as Meryl alluded to on ITAS, pray for acts of God or "accidents" to happen onstage/on set so that the acting takes place truly "in the moment." In other words, NFPs are far more comfortable improvising than NFJs. As those who work alongside INFP actors note, they are constantly changing line readings and characterizations to engender authenticity, both from an external perspective (so it looks real) and an internal one (so it feels real).

YouTube - Julius Caesar (1953) - Mark Antony speech
YouTube - Meryl Streep as Lindy Chamberlain

visaisahero

MBTI Type
ENTP
I honestly have not constructed a hierarchy for which types are best at typing others,

There isn't one. Typing people is a skill like any other, and the best way to get good at it is to practice effectively. Practice typing people both in and out of your comfort zone, and wherever possible get them to learn about the MBTI and figure out their own type themselves without any prompting from you. Over time, your accuracy will improve, and you'll naturally be better attuned to figuring people out.

If you want to argue that a certain type might be predisposed to superior analysis and observation, sure... but the ones who put in the most effort and have the most experience will still ultimately give you the best readings.

visaisahero

MBTI Type
ENTP
It isn't the judgment per se that causes problems for the Ni dom so much as it is the inability to effectively process new data once a decision has been made. My experience with INFJs is minimal by comparison to my experience with INTJs, but I can give you examples of INTJs I know who reached their conclusions on the "correct" theory of nutrition, linguistics, exercise, politics, whatever 30+ years ago and steadfastly refuse to allow themselves to be influenced by new, contradictory information...

INTJs and INFJs are very different people; the most significant difference that tends to be overlooked are the tertiary functions- Ti for INFJs and Fi for INTJs. I have plenty of experience with both INTJs and INFJs, and I notice that relative to one another, INTJs seem to be more open-minded, and INFJs tend to seem more steadfast, but it is in fact in reality the other way around, most of the time.

Fecal McAngry

INTJs and INFJs are very different people; the most significant difference that tends to be overlooked are the tertiary functions- Ti for INFJs and Fi for INTJs. I have plenty of experience with both INTJs and INFJs, and I notice that relative to one another, INTJs seem to be more open-minded, and INFJs tend to seem more steadfast, but it is in fact in reality the other way around, most of the time.

You're missing the point. With any IN_J, the chassis is the same; Ni with tertiary Se. The same problems with processing new information post-decision found in INFJs are found in INTJs and vice versa.

Fecal McAngry

There isn't one. Typing people is a skill like any other, and the best way to get good at it is to practice effectively. Practice typing people both in and out of your comfort zone, and wherever possible get them to learn about the MBTI and figure out their own type themselves without any prompting from you. Over time, your accuracy will improve, and you'll naturally be better attuned to figuring people out.

If you want to argue that a certain type might be predisposed to superior analysis and observation, sure... but the ones who put in the most effort and have the most experience will still ultimately give you the best readings.
As with all g-loaded skills, however, and typing is one, there will be stratification along typological lines. Your first statement simply isn't true, as you essentially acknowledge...For a constant level of g, all else equal, INTPs > INFPs at chess, and INFPs > INTPs at acting.

The real questions are how much stratification will we see, and along what lines. I have some ideas, but insufficient data to confirm...

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Moved from NF Idyllic

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

One of the huge advantages INFP actors have over INFJ actors is the fact they are, from a functional perspective, far more present-bound than future-bound. They don't jump on an Ni-train and act on automatic pilot, they remain open to the experience via Ne and Fi, both of which are present-oriented, and as Meryl alluded to on ITAS, pray for acts of God or "accidents" to happen onstage/on set so that the acting takes place truly "in the moment." In other words, NFPs are far more comfortable improvising than NFJs. As those who work alongside INFP actors note, they are constantly changing line readings and characterizations to engender authenticity, both from an external perspective (so it looks real) and an internal one (so it feels real).

YouTube - Julius Caesar (1953) - Mark Antony speech
YouTube - Meryl Streep as Lindy Chamberlain

Gawd. I can't believe I'm still talking about this. It isn't my style, and I don't much care, yet here I am. :) Did you consider that she 'needs an act of God' because she is not as comfortable improvising as some of her Ne cohorts? And that it's harder for her to be truly 'in the moment' without some external force happening?

Furthermore, you didn't really address, to my satisfaction, the issue of you, an introverted judger, using extraverted judging skills to assess actors/others' types.

Fecal McAngry

Did you consider that she 'needs an act of God' because she is not as comfortable improvising as some of her Ne cohorts? And that it's harder for her to be truly 'in the moment' without some external force happening?

Furthermore, you didn't really address, to my satisfaction, the issue of you, an introverted judger, using extraverted judging skills to assess actors/others' types.

First, as an INFP I don't primarily use extroverted judging skills to type people. Where that assumption came from, I do not know.

Second, WRT Meryl and acting, MS has stated in the past that "acting is reacting," (possible paraphrase) and that, therefore, the most authentic acting involves reacting to something unexpected. This is exactly how INFP actors function, indeed how we thrive. We are far less comfortable initiating action, as is the case with NFJ actors, and we are far more comfortable operating as counterpunchers. What INFP actors tend to feed on (improvisation within a scripted scene) tends to be disconcerting for IN_Js even if they realize that it has benefits wrt authenticity.

While ideally external forces will provoke true spontaneity, in the absence thereof, INFP actors and musicians will fuck things up a bit to create authentic reactions in themselves...Mike Nichols commented that the first time he saw Meryl she was in a play in which it appeared that everyone else was reciting scripted lines but Meryl was improvising...

A nice contrast. INFP and INFJ in the same scene. Note how the INFP makes the INFJ seem kinda invisible: YouTube - Back to Africa - episode from "The Interpreter"

While I think the contrast between the organic and the more formulaic is visible here on film it's more visible onstage...by a fair margin...

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^Yeah, she feels pretty flat here. Meryl's never flat. I'll think about it. :)