• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How I Met Your Mother/Friends Show

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
I am not a tv junkie, I swear. I actually can't just watch tv, it melts my brain. But, I do very obsessively watch a handful of shows. These two are shows that soothes me to sleep. I have really vivid nightmares. :cry:

How I Met Your Mother

Ted - total ISFJ - conservative, romantic, relationship-oriented
Barney - total ENTJ - always coming up with 'rules' and 'strategies'
Robin - ENTP - strikes me as being rational, could she be ENTJ too?
Marshall - ENFP - mushy, but 'voice of reason' ?? could he be ENTP?
Lily - ISFP - semi-duals with Marshall, teaches kindergarten, was part of 'goth' subculture, artist

Friends

Chandler - ENTP - sarcasm, later career - advertising!
Joey - ESTP - bold, commitment phobia, tough guy persona when not around friends
Monica - ESFJ - very emotional and take-charge, competitive and obsessive
Rachel - ESFP - fun oriented, love for fashion, boy-crazy
Phoebe - INFP - yup
Ross - ISFJ - emotional and sensitive, responsible, practical, put off by Phoebe's crazy theories

elizamay

MBTI Type
ENTP
Robin is definitely an ENTP--decides to go to Tokyo and then decides to come back right away.
Marshall--I think he's totally an F...among other things, he's forgotten more about microwaving fat-free popcorn and watching Sandra Bullock movies than I'll ever know ;).

Grace

MBTI Type
INTJ
There is already a Friends thread but I don't think that there is a How I Met Your Mother thread yet.

Ted - ISTJ

Barney - ENTJ

Robin - ENTX (when I think about P vs. J seperately I would say P but she seems more ENTJish as a whole to me)

Marshall - ENFP (definitely not an ENTP, imo).

Lily - ISFJ

Grace

MBTI Type
INTJ
The only Friends character I would disagree with is Joey, ESFP.

Grace

MBTI Type
INTJ
I'd say that Ted is an INFJ. My husband is an INFJ and they are shockingly similar. Hilariously so.

yeah, I was actually going to say IXXJ. All four possibilities make sense to me in different ways.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
How I Met Your Mother

Ted - total ISFJ - conservative, romantic, relationship-oriented
Barney - total ENTJ - always coming up with 'rules' and 'strategies'
Robin - ENTP - strikes me as being rational, could she be ENTJ too?
Marshall - ENFP - mushy, but 'voice of reason' ?? could he be ENTP?
Lily - ISFP - semi-duals with Marshall, teaches kindergarten, was part of 'goth' subculture, artist

Ted - ENFP
Barney - ESTJ
Robin - IXTJ
Marshall - ENFJ
Lily - ENFP

I have absolutely no idea how the hell you typed them.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
There is already a Friends thread but I don't think that there is a How I Met Your Mother thread yet.
There is.

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
Ha. I don't know how you typed them. I am a pretty fast typer whereas I have noticed that INTJs spend their time gathering up information. I sort of look a person up and down and go with my gut. If I think about it too long, I get confused but my first gut instinct is often right.

Ted - ENFP - can't be, he is over-the-top romantic, but very responsible, practical, dutiful, and not a social butterfly, he is def. an introvert to me, he is not afraid of settling down and living a 'normal' life while enfps are more adventurous than that, and more fickle, not to say that enfps are fickle but just more fickle than isfjs, he was adamant about not wanting to raise kids in Argentina whereas most enfps I believe would be thrilled at such a stimulating chance

Barney - ESTJ - hmm, he seems too goofy and unconventional

Robin - IXTJ - she is a total extrovert, too crazy to be an introverted-logical type

Marshall - ENFJ - I can't imagine him being a J, he is not rigid at all, he is a free-flow-er, very laid-back

Lily - ENFP - perhaps, this might explain her trip to San Francisco, but she seem to have uptight morals

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Ha. I don't know how you typed them. I am a pretty fast typer whereas I have noticed that INTJs spend their time gathering up information. I sort of look a person up and down and go with my gut. If I think about it too long, I get confused but my first gut instinct is usually right.

Ted - ENFP - can't be, he is over-the-top romantic, but very responsible, practical, dutiful, and not a social butterfly, he is def. an introvert to me, he is not afraid of settling down and living a 'normal' life while enfps are more adventurous than that, and more fickle, not to say that enfps are fickle but just more fickle than isfjs, he was adamant about not wanting to raise kids in Argentina whereas most enfps I believe would be thrilled at such a stimulating chance

Barney - ESTJ - hmm, he seems too goofy and unconventional

Robin - IXTJ - she is a total extrovert, too crazy to be an introverted-logical type

Marshall - ENFJ - I can't imagine him being a J, he is not rigid at all, he is a free-flow-er, very laid-back

Lily - ENFP - perhaps, this might explain her trip to San Francisco, but she seem to have uptight morals
I have observed the character's types thoroughly throughout watching the whole show and came to my conclusion.

I'll try to make this as brief as possible.

For one Ted is an NF. He looks towards the distant future quite a bit and 'has visions' of his ideal life. He is most definitely a romantic idealist. He didn't want to become a professor because of his dreams to make great buildings. Everyone else had to push him to make his decision.
He is an E because he never needs to be alone. When he meets new people he is very good at communication and is very open to them. He does not need time to be alone. He welcomes new people and friends very easily.
He is a P because he likes to wait for the best options. Most of the time he wouldn't make decisions until things are clear to him.
He was ready to follow Robin to wherever she would go, even argentina. ENFP.
Also any introvert would never steal a smurf penis for the sake of romantic ideals. Ted is most definitely an E.
Also Ted mostly uses Ne and Fi.

Barney is almost definitely an ESTJ.
E because he needs to be around people
S because he is practical. He doesn't look towards a future. He lives in the now.
T for obvious reasons
J ... He screams J. His apartment, suit, choices, etc. Everything is J.

Easily observable, Robin values her time when she is alone. She is an Introvert. You are thinking Introverts cannot act extroverted around their friends? False thinking. She is usually reserved when meeting new people.
X because she has qualities of both intuitives and sensors
T because she can be brutally honest. She's definately not an F
J because she makes her choices quickly. She never waits to see the available options. Her dressing style is very J as well.

Marshall is very easily a J. Organised in his studies, work, graphs and suit. Gets very good grades. Studies hard and tries to fix any mistakes. When he has time he can relax but that wouldn't have much to do with type. He makes his decisions quickly and is very responsible with what he has to do. He doesn't use Ne but uses Ni which cause him to believe in the supernatural to a far extent. His Fe function allows him to understand people around him.

ENFP can have very uptight morals. If something goes against their values or beliefs they can throw it away. This is Fi working here.

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
I confess I've only watched series 1 and 2 of HIMYM so far, so I don't have the whole picture yet, but these are my opinions:

Ted - INFP (so far he represents a typical INFP male to me; very idealistic and romantic, dreamer, over-thinking everything and not actually acting, at least at the beginning)
Barney - ENTJ (yes, he now lives in the 'here and now', but he used to be rather idealistic and wanted to change the world at the beginning, just like all of my ENTJ acquaintances actually, before becoming thoroughly cynical. I'd say he consciously tries to resemble a successful ESTJ, but he's an NT planner deep down)
Robin - ISTJ (*almost* Ted's polar opposite, very 'down to earth'; she does have some N qualities, but it's perfectly possible for a Sensor to have high intuition)
Marshall - ENFJ
Lily - also ENFJ

(I'd say that ENF is clear for them, but it really seems to me they're overall very similar people, and Fe with occasional Ni screams from both of them)

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I confess I've only watched series 1 and 2 of HIMYM so far, so I don't have the whole picture yet, but these are my opinions:

Ted - INFP (so far he represents a typical INFP male to me; very idealistic and romantic, dreamer, over-thinking everything and not actually acting, at least at the beginning)
Barney - ENTJ (yes, he now lives in the 'here and now', but he used to be rather idealistic and wanted to change the world at the beginning, just like all of my ENTJ acquaintances actually, before becoming thoroughly cynical. I'd say he consciously tries to resemble a successful ESTJ, but he's an NT planner deep down)
Robin - ISTJ (*almost* Ted's polar opposite, very 'down to earth'; she does have some N qualities, but it's perfectly possible for a Sensor to have high intuition)
Marshall - ENFJ
Lily - also ENFJ

(I'd say that ENF is clear for them, but it really seems to me they're overall very similar people, and Fe with occasional Ni screams from both of them)
Ted's not an Introvert. He is not the type to be alone. And I doubt any INFP would be quick to say I love you. He is the sociable type.
Judge barney by how he is, not how he was. He is not an N.
I can agree with Robin
I agree with Marshall
Lily is more of a P. She always wants to keep all options open whereas Martial wants things to be done as soon as possible

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
That's why I love INTJs, so stimulating.
Ah-hem.

Barney:

"ENTJs have a natural tendency to marshall and direct. This may be expressed with the charm and finesse of a world leader or with the insensitivity of a cult leader. The ENTJ requires little encouragement to make a plan." - "Suit up!"

"ESTJs are content to enforce "the rules," often dictated by tradition or handed down from a higher authority." - Barney is very, very innovative, unique and creative. His outrageous powerpoints! His thorough over-the-top arrogance resembles ESTP, not ESTJ at all. ESTJs are not so afraid of commitment as Barney.

"ESTJs have an acute sense for orthodoxy. Much of their evaluation of persons and activities reflects their strong sense of what is "normal" and what isn't. ESTJ humor is frequently centered around something or someone being off center or behaving abnormally."

Barney's humor is SO off-center and abnormal. He is himself Abnormal. And yes, I agree, he was idealistic and a sucker for love like NTJ types. And after that incident, he is now forever jaded and lives in the moment.

"The family likewise is a central focus for ESTJs, and attendance at such events as weddings, funerals and family reunions is obligatory." Barney is always, always complaining about supporting his friends, such as Robin and Lily, and their incompetent talents. And I can't see him going to such mundane congregations out of a sense of duty. If he does, he is up to something very naughty.

"ESTJs promote the work ethic. Power, position and prestige should be worked for and earned. Laziness is rarely viewed with ambivalence nor benevolence by this type." I am pretty sure Barney sits around and shreds things (like his expensive cell phones) and sleeps with women and plays pranks rather than work. Remember that episode when he and Marshall, when he convinced Marshall, to do outrageous things to this guy from the office across his window...ooof, he is no ESTJ.

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
Ted:

"ENFPs have a great deal of zany charm, which can ingratiate them to the more stodgy types in spite of their unconventionality. They are outgoing, fun, and genuinely like people. As SOs/mates they are warm, affectionate (l ots of PDA), and disconcertingly spontaneous. However, attention span in relationships can be short; ENFPs are easily intrigued and distracted by new friends and acquaintances, forgetting about the older ones for long stretches at a time. Less mature ENFPs may need to feel they are the center of attention all the time, to reassure them that everyone thinks they're a wonderful and fascinating person."

- Ted comes off as very nerdy/dorky. Pretty sure he is teased by his friends for being un-savvy.
- Ted is very conventional. He wants a family first and career second.
- He is not spontaneous. He plans and plans and plans. He is not one to just buy a ticket and fly off to Thailand, unless he is following someone who is spontaneous and he is completely in love with her.
- Not distract-able at all from his current friends.
- Not an attention whore (not that that's a bad thing). He is more of a mediator and acts as a stabilizer between the others who have very strong and extreme personalities.

"As for ISTJs, the dominant Si is oriented toward the world of forms, essences, generics. Again, "for both of the IS_J types, the sense of propriety comes from the clear definition of these internal forms. ... A 'proper' chair has four legs," etc. (Jung saw IS as something of an oxymoron: sensing, which is a perceiving function, focused inward and thus away from that which is perceived (the "object"). In this light, he described this sensing as something removed from reality, full of archetypes/mythical figures/hobgoblins; sensing of one's own set of forms.)" - a perfect architect.

Not many enfps are architects, I'd think, buildings can be quite impersonal, they're just objects after all.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
ESTJs are content to enforce "the rules," often dictated by tradition or handed down from a higher authority.
Barney hates to break the 'Bro code' rules and enforces them on others.

Tradition is important to the ESTJ. Holidays, birthdays and other annual celebrations are remembered and observed often religiously by this type.
Barney never forgets traditions.

ESTJs have an acute sense for orthodoxy. Much of their evaluation of persons and activities reflects their strong sense of what is "normal" and what isn't. ESTJ humor is frequently centered around something or someone being off center or behaving abnormally.
Barney's humour is all about insulting people.
Don't get confused between what we find humorous and what Barney finds humorous.

ESTJs promote the work ethic. Power, position and prestige should be worked for and earned. Laziness is rarely viewed with ambivalence nor benevolence by this type.
Barney hate's it when he wants to do something and the group can't be bothered because of laziness.

The ESTJ is not afraid to stand up for what she believes is right even in the face of overwhelming odds. ESTJs are able to make the tough calls.
Barney

Barney does not fit into the NT temperament.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
SJs are observant, stable and motivated by a need to maintain security. They are realistic, routinized administrators requiring tasks be completed correctly and that people behave appropriately. SJs make thorough examinations to ensure everything is done according to plan. They make sure no more and no less credit is given than due. When a need arises, they are quick to provide a solution, provided that the need is justified. SJs are not driven by impulse, but rather by concrete fact. By virtue of their reliable, diligent, industrious, persevering nature, they make excellent leaders.

NOT TED

NFs are introspective, intuitive and highly idealistic. They are subjective, compassionate "feeler" people that desire to contribute goodness and meaning to the lives of others. They are effective at doing this through their nurturing, insightful and encouraging nature. NFs despise conflict. They will do everything they can to make sure their loved ones get along with each other and are happy. NFs are imaginitive, creatively inclined and passionate about their choice causes.

TED

Ted is generally accused of thinking to much. Intuitive.
He doesn't use his senses as much as he uses his intuition.

Ted is not unsociable. He likes meeting new people. Extravert
He is not someone who avoids people.

Ted is spontaneous.
Good examples are:
- The smurf penis
- "I love you"

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
Ted's not an Introvert. He is not the type to be alone. And I doubt any INFP would be quick to say I love you. He is the sociable type.

I'd have to disagree. Ted doesn't seem like he actually likes making new acquaintances and he seems pretty shy and awkward with new people; he likes spending a lot of time with his close friends, but that is natural for a mild introvert. I love spending time with friends too and I'm quite sociable as well, but that doesn't make me an E. Plus, be sure being quick to say 'I love you' is sometimes exactly the thing an INFP would do. If an INFP who is extremely romantic and idealistic will see someone and think they're destined together, they might often end up scaring that person off with their intensity. They're highly prone to very intense crushes, and have big problems letting go off the past (which can be true for ENFPs as well, that's true). But overall, it seems to me that Ted thinks far too much before acting and spends far too much in his head to be an E.

Ragingkatsuki said:
Judge barney by how he is, not how he was. He is not an N.

I'm sorry but that is not an argument. Firstly, if Barney was an ESTJ, he would have to use Si, which he totally doesn't. He always looks for new ways, new possibilities, the world is like a giant chess board for him => Ni. He's a strategist, nothing about him is traditional. If he seems sensory, than it's in the 'sensual, fun-driven' Se way, which is also an ENTJ function. Secondly, Barney's past is an essential part of his personality, so I don't see any reason why I shouldn't consider it when typing him. But even if his past wasn't revealed I would still think he's ENTJ. Ns who live like Ss aren't uncommon.

Ragingkatsuki said:
Lily is more of a P. She always wants to keep all options open whereas Martial wants things to be done as soon as possible

I'll still have to watch more episodes to be able to type Lily more accurately, but so far I've just seen more Fe than Fi in her. And ENFJs are also prone to be doubtful and indecisive from time to time; J isn't everything.:tongue:

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
ESTJs are content to enforce "the rules," often dictated by tradition or handed down from a higher authority.
Barney hates to break the 'Bro code' rules and enforces them on others.

Barney created the Bro Code!

Tradition is important to the ESTJ. Holidays, birthdays and other annual celebrations are remembered and observed often religiously by this type.
Barney never forgets traditions.

Proof? He was excited for Thanksgiving because of the Slap Bet, not because of any 'sentimental' connection to the holiday.

ESTJs have an acute sense for orthodoxy. Much of their evaluation of persons and activities reflects their strong sense of what is "normal" and what isn't. ESTJ humor is frequently centered around something or someone being off center or behaving abnormally.
Barney's humour is all about insulting people.

Relationships are normal. Barney makes fun of relationships/marriage a whole lot.

ESTJs promote the work ethic. Power, position and prestige should be worked for and earned. Laziness is rarely viewed with ambivalence nor benevolence by this type.
Barney hate's it when he wants to do something and the group can't be bothered because of laziness.

Not untrue of ENTJs. That doesn't explain how he doesn't actually 'work' while at his job. Also, his fire-breathing dragon or something building idea was not ESTJ at all.

The ESTJ is not afraid to stand up for what she believes is right even in the face of overwhelming odds. ESTJs are able to make the tough calls.
Barney

Totally true of ENTJs as well, maybe even more so due to their individualism and relentless pursue of success.

Barney does not fit into the NT temperament.

He does not have the Guardian temperament at all. He is more Artisan than Guardian, but coupled with his fascination with theories and ideas, he is a Rational.

Barney pretty much comes up with crazy ideas/theories and goes about proving them. He doesn't care about his career. He cares about being wealthy and being with tons of women, just to prove a point. He is very child-like actually and hides behind a tough, cynical front. He is very spontaneous, not STJ at all.

Grace

MBTI Type
INTJ
Ted is definitely IxxJ to me.
Barney definitely ENTJ.

I think you may be right about Marshall being an ENFJ. That makes sense to me.
Not sure about Lily. She was hard for me in the first place.

Robin I still think is most likely an ENTJ.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[YOUTUBE="rP2TBqJirMI"]Ted[/YOUTUBE]
Classic ENFP.

[YOUTUBE="Yg9jjs-o35g"]Barney[/YOUTUBE]