• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How I Met Your Mother/Friends Show

Grace

MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm sorry but Ted is not an ENFP. No way. That clip does not seem ENFPish to me at all.

Barney as an ESTJ? Possibly. Not sold but I can see how he could be an ESTJ.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm sorry but Ted is not an ENFP. No way. That clip does not seem ENFPish to me at all.
:) Delusions are bliss aren't they. Go believe whatever you think Ted is.

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ted - ENFP
Barney - ENTJ
Robin - ISTJ
Marshall - ?
Lily - ESFP

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
Hey, as an INTJ, what do you get from the show? I thought INTJs don't like romantic comedies. The one I knew liked documentaries and the science channel.

Also, your blind spots with typing comes from the general INTJ blind spot of being unable to predict people's emotional motives, also you're not naturally adapt at picking up the subtle connections between people. When I type, I take into consideration all the connective relations, not just the individual and their functions. Not to say that INTJs are not competent in typing, just not as good as I am. :) Just kidding. Really, Barney is ENTJ! And Ted is so ISFJ.

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
Hey, as an INTJ, what do you get from the show? I thought INTJs don't like romantic comedies. The one I knew liked documentaries and the science channel.

Also, your blind spots with typing comes from the general INTJ blind spot of being unable to predict people's emotional motives, also you're not naturally adapt at picking up the subtle connections between people. When I type, I take into consideration all the connective relations, not just the individual and their functions. Not to say that INTJs are not competent in typing, just not as good as I am. :) Just kidding. Really, Barney is ENTJ! And Ted is so ISFJ.

Ted is most definitely not an ISFJ, he's clearly NF, and if you want to learn how to type people accurately, the functions are extremely useful. Going just by 'first hunch' can be very deceiving. My first hunch of my father was ISFP, second hunch INTP, and only looking at the functions I understood he was clearly an INFP, which should have been clear from the beginning because he's basically very much like me. Personally I have to make a 'big picture' of the person, and then just use common sense. The principle of typing is easy if you know what it's really all about. And resorting to insults is dumb, type regardless.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Your comment is extremely stereotypical. I'm an INTJ therefore I'm not capable of watching romantic comedies? I'm an INTJ therefore I take no consideration of connective relations? I'm an INTJ therefore I'm worse at typing people than an INFJ? Please do not judge people when barely knowing them. And please do not judge a person by the stereotype of their type. It's stupid, immature and annoying. I know you meant no offense but this is something that I would just like to point out. Apologies if I seemed too harsh.

I can accept that Barney is an EXTJ but not a full blown ENTJ. I cannot accept that Ted is an ISFJ simply because he isn't. He is typically an ENFP.

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
Oh, I apologize profusely. I wasn't resorting to insults at all. INTJs know their blind spot and I was basing it on the one INTJ I knew very well. I didn't mean to be offensive at all.

I was just wondering, out of curiosity, what you get from romantic comedies? I am trying to fill out the empty spaces in my head, lol. And I pointed out the blind spot just to wonder how that is taken into consideration when you type people.

I go by the functions too, but I just meant that I also use my strong point, which is not something the INTJ naturally have. I wasn't being cocky or anything, just blunt and to the point. I am doing all of this out of curiosity, really.

Again, I am sorry and I hate to be stereotypical/etc.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Oh, I apologize profusely. I wasn't resorting to insults at all. INTJs know their blind spot and I was basing it on the one INTJ I knew very well. I didn't mean to be offensive at all.

I was just wondering, out of curiosity, what you get from romantic comedies? I am trying to fill out the empty spaces in my head, lol. And I pointed out the blind spot just to wonder how that is taken into consideration when you type people.

I go by the functions too, but I just meant that I also use my strong point, which is not something the INTJ naturally have. I wasn't being cocky or anything, just blunt and to the point. I am doing all of this out of curiosity, really.

Again, I am sorry and I hate to be stereotypical/etc.
No need for apology. I knew you meant no offense.

I don't usually watch romantic comedies. I don't really watch T.V. at all actually. The exceptions are House, How I met your mother and The Office. I usually just watch them for entertainment purposes but I also observe the characters trying to find out how their mind works and their personalities. Usually because I'm vastly interested in psychology so that I can understand people.

Do not underestimate our minds. What I mean by this is that the blind spot can be overcome. Know that we have the ability to willingly change our personalities and therefore we are allowed to see the views and perspectives of the other personality types. I'm not so sure if we can permanently change it though.

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
I can accept that Barney is an EXTJ but not a full blown ENTJ. I cannot accept that Ted is an ISFJ simply because he isn't. He is typically an ENFP.

I'm glad we reached some consensus.;) Actually, I can see where you're coming from with Barney being an ESTJ; my boyfriend is an ISTJ and he's exactly the 'Suit up!' kind of guy. But I still think that Barney accepted this image primarily to look cool and to be able to carry out his evil plans more effectively.;) I'd say that the video you linked here screams Te, not Si. But he certainly shows some S qualities, so ExTJ would fit (if it existed, which is arguable).

About Ted, I'm starting to see your point and it's possible you're quite right. He certainly does show a lot of Ne, and often kind of 'forgets' about his Fi. But I still think it'd make him just a mild extrovert, and very phlegmatic at that.

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was just wondering, out of curiosity, what you get from romantic comedies?

I'd love to experience real life situations as every other type does, this is kind of a substitute for that. Plus, it's funny. That's all.

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
Do not underestimate our minds. What I mean by this is that the blind spot can be overcome. Know that we have the ability to willingly change our personalities and therefore we are allowed to see the views and perspectives of the other personality types. I'm not so sure if we can permanently change it though.

When I was seeing an INTJ, he told me that he had to change his usual way of perceiving, he became quite sensitive to every little thing. He said, though, that it'd be exhausting to do that all the time.

Of course, I believe we can learn new skills and even, traits. I have noticed that whenever I get to know another type well, I can often mimic their characteristics, if I like them, that is. I even talk like they do, which is very strange to me. I don't know why that happens, except I find it great fun to pick someone apart and learn who they are at the core. That's why I can't watch movie after movie because I absorb so much and try to analyze everything. Even the less cerebral movies like Yes, Man, I gained moral inspirations from, hahaha.

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
I have noticed that whenever I get to know another type well, I can often mimic their characteristics, if I like them, that is. I even talk like they do, which is very strange to me.

Isn't it more like, specific people rather than type of people?:huh: I'm certain I've always started to pick up ways of speech etc. of people who I was very close to and spent a lot of time with, but it's only specific people, not whole "type", and it was happening to me that long before I learned about typology. (I guess it happens to everyone, actually.:huh:) But it's true that (for example) the way I interact with my NF friends is fundamentally different from the way I interact with my NT friends, if you meant this.

Clonester

MBTI Type
ENFP
Ted- INFP (resembles ISFP, but he's a future planner)
Marshall- ENFP (he kinda reminds me of me)
Lilly- ESFJ (she's definitely dominant Fe, could be ENFJ but I'm leaning towards S)
Barney- ESTP (ESTJ is close, but ESTP's take good care of the appearance of their bodies and home too. Barney isn't as uptight and rigid as an ESTJ IMO)
Robin- ENTP (not 100% sure, but it makes sense to me. Could she be INTJ? She seems a little more drained by social outings than the others)

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm glad we reached some consensus.;) Actually, I can see where you're coming from with Barney being an ESTJ; my boyfriend is an ISTJ and he's exactly the 'Suit up!' kind of guy. But I still think that Barney accepted this image primarily to look cool and to be able to carry out his evil plans more effectively.;) I'd say that the video you linked here screams Te, not Si. But he certainly shows some S qualities, so ExTJ would fit (if it existed, which is arguable).

About Ted, I'm starting to see your point and it's possible you're quite right. He certainly does show a lot of Ne, and often kind of 'forgets' about his Fi. But I still think it'd make him just a mild extrovert, and very phlegmatic at that.
We have reached a conclusion. Barney is an EXTJ. :D

I do see why people say Ted is an introvert. He's not really the 'AAAH' type. But I've also seen this in a lot of extroverts. Especially more of the Fi extroverts. But yes, he could be a mild extrovert.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
When I was seeing an INTJ, he told me that he had to change his usual way of perceiving, he became quite sensitive to every little thing. He said, though, that it'd be exhausting to do that all the time.

Of course, I believe we can learn new skills and even, traits. I have noticed that whenever I get to know another type well, I can often mimic their characteristics, if I like them, that is. I even talk like they do, which is very strange to me. I don't know why that happens, except I find it great fun to pick someone apart and learn who they are at the core. That's why I can't watch movie after movie because I absorb so much and try to analyze everything. Even the less cerebral movies like Yes, Man, I gained moral inspirations from, hahaha.
Yes, I know a few people like you who likes to dig deep. I usually try to avoid them because they can be quite dangerous. For example, the other day I found an ENTJ acting all snugly because of the INFJs.
INTJs usually change their ways of perceiving in order to understand the person communicating to us. It can, however, make us look stupid and we do try and avoid it.

visaisahero

MBTI Type
ENTP
Ted is an INFP. Ted is an introvert, not an extrovert. He doesn't really like to go out and meet new people and never likes it when Barney suggests anything new and unusual outside his comfort-zone. He's idealistic and romantic and future-oriented. He can be a little bit stubborn sometimes, when he refuses to take his friends' advice about dating (like when he messages the girl, or goes out with his ex). Definitely internally driven, by his own ideals. He loves philosophy.

Marshall is an ENFJ. He's an honorable man, much more so than Ted who is a little bit more flexible. He has strong ideals (NF) and sticks by them with as little compromise as possible (J). This was what made it so difficult for him to take up the corporate job- which he eventually only did because he wanted to make Lily happy. One of the most telling episodes was the one where he tried to fit in with Barney's colleagues, and decided that Lily's happiness was more important to him. That's ENFJ decision-making right there. He's very moral and responsible.

Robin is an ISTJ. I cannot understand some of you see Robin as an ENTx. She is THE most introverted person in the main 5-person group. She keeps secrets to herself. She hates to go out, especially to the mall. (Hehe.) Her "crazy antics" do not make her an extrovert; she's actually very reserved and enjoys time on her own- doing things like shooting guns and smoking in the bathtub. Consider how difficult she found it to share an apartment with Ted. She has 5 dogs, which is quite an SJ trait. She's extremely uncomfortable with sharing emotions (or food) and takes very long to open up to people. She gets very uncomfortable at other people's "weird-isms". She can be brutally honest, or just plain brutal think of how she made Lily bring out the drum at the Hawaiian restaurant. Her J is a dramatic foil to Ted's P- she is decisive and isn't very comfortable with ambiguity. Her S type is emphasized by her love of sensory experiences, like travelling or getting into a relationship with Enrique Iglesias' character. She also tends to want to have her way, without compromise.

Lily is an ESFx. She's definitely S type- look at her ridiculous obsession with shopping and other sensory delights. She's also definitely F type- her T is very weak and undeveloped, which I find very annoying because she can be really illogical and unreasonable. She can't keep secrets. She's really childish. She can be possessive and selfish in a J way, but also indecisive and random in a P way. I can't stand her most of the time. >_>

Barney is just Awesome! (ExTx) You can't type a guy like that. Very complex. Early Barney (before the Suit era) was probably an INFJ. Idealistic about being a hippie and in love and helping out in Nicaragua. Suit-era Barney comes across to me as an ESTx. You could argue that he's actually an INFJ who pretends very hard to be an extrovert, but that's a little bit too complex for my liking. He needs company, and validation- which is why he slept with 200 women. That suggests S-type to me. He's a little bit too repetitive to be an N-type. I want to say that he's an ESTP. He reminds me a little bit of WWE's The Rock with all his catchphrases! Then and again, his conformity to suits, etc makes him seem like a J.

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
^

I agree with all these typings except Lily. The more I watch this show the more I'm convinced she's an ENFJ. That isn't mutually exclusive with "obsession with sensory delights" or inability to keep secrets at all, and many episodes suggest she's an NF (she's very oriented towards future and her dreams and idealistic visions of how the world "should be"). Some people seem to think she's an ENFP, but I definitely see her as a Fe-dom rather than Ne-dom. Look at her job in the kindergarten; she really loves to nurture and discipline people, while she practices the latter even with grown ups. She also has kind of an aura of independence and passion about her, which I associate more with NFJ women than NFP women. I think her and Marshall are basically the same kind of people, but Marshall is more on the sweet side and Lily is more on the mean side.

And Barney is an ENTJ mimicking as an ESTP, imo. His "Nicaragua Era" reminds me a lot of some ENTJ females I know - one doesn't always need to be an NF to be idealistic.

Usehername

On a mission
Marshall: ENFP
Ted: ISFJ
Barney: ENFJ (his plans are all people-focused--he orchestrates people, not anything else--plus, remember the flashback when he was about to join the Peace Corps?)
Robyn: ESTP
Lily: xsFx

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Marshall ENFJ
initiating and directing = in charge; affiliative and motive = NF.

Lilly ISTJ
responding and directing = chart the course; affiliative and structure = SJ.

Ted ISTJ
responding and directing = chart the course; affiliative and structure = SJ.

Robin ISTP
responding and directing = chart the course; pragmatic and motive = SP.

Barney ESTP
initiating and directing = In charge; pragmatic and motive = SP.

Its a TV show, so of course the ISTJs wont be the card board cutouts that you guys mistakenly believe ISTJs to be...
And yes, everyone on this show is directing. Its partly what makes the dynamic so funny...

visaisahero

MBTI Type
ENTP
^

I agree with all these typings except Lily. The more I watch this show the more I'm convinced she's an ENFJ. That isn't mutually exclusive with "obsession with sensory delights" or inability to keep secrets at all, and many episodes suggest she's an NF (she's very oriented towards future and her dreams and idealistic visions of how the world "should be"). Some people seem to think she's an ENFP, but I definitely see her as a Fe-dom rather than Ne-dom. Look at her job in the kindergarten; she really loves to nurture and discipline people, while she practices the latter even with grown ups. She also has kind of an aura of independence and passion about her, which I associate more with NFJ women than NFP women. I think her and Marshall are basically the same kind of people, but Marshall is more on the sweet side and Lily is more on the mean side.

And Barney is an ENTJ mimicking as an ESTP, imo. His "Nicaragua Era" reminds me a lot of some ENTJ females I know - one doesn't always need to be an NF to be idealistic.

I can agree with that! Lily's NF does show through in her fantasies of her children and painting and such. I know an ENFJ who used to be like her when he (yes, he >_>) was younger and more immature. I can agree with Barney, too. He's been given such complexity and range of character that it's hard to type him. On one hand he seems superficially shallow but we learn time and time again that he actually is a man of depth, hiding behind a persona he created to perhaps come to terms with (or avoid) his personal issues. Neil Patrick Harris described him as a guy who hates to be lonely.