• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MBTI of stock characters, archetypes, etc.

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
None of these types will be exact (Since even the most cliche stock characters will have differences.), but in general characters of this type would likely by just one letter off.

Cop Buddies: Using the stereotypical combination of an older, more experienced, more by the book character with a younger, more aggressive, more rule breaking one, the older one is ISTJ and younger one is ESTP.

The police chief who chews them out, plus other assorted other bureaucrats: ESTJ

The wise mentor: This will vary depending on the type of story the mentor is in, but some sort of I--J seems most likely. For sports movies, ISTJ, for fantasy movies, INFJ or INTJ, etc.

Serial Killers and other evil supervillains (muhahaha! And now, before I kill you...): INTJ

The worried wife (or girlfriend, sweetheart back home, etc.): ISFJ (I because they often end up as the stoic ones who silently and stoicly wait)

Evil high school popular girls: ESFJ probably, possibly ESFP (I haven't seen enough movies to really narrow it down.)

Evil high school popular boys: ESTP (the jocks)

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I am bad in this and you know it by seeing my list. I just filled in my first ideas.

The trickster ENTP
Everyday Hero ESTP
The Child ESFP
Hooker with a heart of gold ISFP
Archenemy INTJ
Henchman ISTJ
angsty teen INFP
The Absent-minded professor INTP
The Mad Scientist ENTP
Girl Next door ESFP
Geek INTP
The redshirt ISTJ
Office lady ESTJ
Fallen hero INFP
Gunslinger ESTP
Competent man ENTJ
Wise old man INFJ
Epic Hero ENFJ
The rebel INFP
Town drunk ESFP
Technician ISTP
Accountant ISTJ
Reluctant hero ISTP
The comedic sidekick ESFP
Supersoldier ISTP
Antihero ISFP
Confidant INFP
Outlaw ISFJ
Femme Fatale ENFJ

Last edited:

Rhu

Morlock
MBTI Type
Pfft
You can probably match any literary archetype with any MBTI archetype. Less likely matches will require a little bit of exposition for the character but will almost certainly add at least an illusion of depth.

Super hacker: ESFJ

All the information was there. It was right there. Undeniably cracked and delivered from an inexplicably operative mainframe with an open and available data terminal, "Whoa, whoa, whoa... where the hell did you learn to do that, Mandy?"

Mandy gracefully swiveled her chair and stood up. She smoothed her skirt, and beamed a ten gigawatt smile, "Well, there I was, a sophomore in college and working on finishing off the last of my required courses before wrapping myself entirely in the bliss of the communications program. Luckily, the Fates intervened," she trailed her fingers above her heart and paused for a tight-lipped smirk. The next words tumbled out more slowly and increased in tempo to an all-out-gush, "There... was... this boy, a freshman, but older. I don't know what it was, but I wanted everything to do with him. He was a sloppy dresser, a lousy kisser, and all my girlfriends hated him. In my heart, I had switched majors right then, but it wasn't until the next semester, after I dumped him, that..."

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
You can probably match any literary archetype with any MBTI archetype. Less likely matches will require a little bit of exposition for the character but will almost certainly add at least an illusion of depth.

The idea of the thread is that certain stock characters, just based on the stock character traits, will fit very closely into certain MBTI types, which are the ones that are written out in the posts above.

If someone did come up with the "ESFJ" hacker, it would, as you said, probably produce a new and different appearing character, though given how hacker characters are usually written, this is quite unlikely.

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
If someone did come up with the "ESFJ" hacker, it would, as you said, probably produce a new and different appearing character, though given how hacker characters are usually written, this is quite unlikely.

What about that brief spate in the mid to late 90s where hackers were portrayed as a secret underground movement of super-rad iconoclasts with great bodies and a propensity for wearing revealing clothing?

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
What about that brief spate in the mid to late 90s where hackers were portrayed as a secret underground movement of super-rad iconoclasts with great bodies and a propensity for wearing revealing clothing?

I haven't seen those, though in that case, if that character type was in a lot of movies or other stories, I would probably think of them as a different stock character and go with some other typing.

LunarMoon

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
List of Archtypes

I’ll post some more of these later on but for now, here’s what I have:

The Absent Minded Professor: INTP, (Doc Brown of the Back to the Future movie trilogy)
-Typically an intellectually superior old man with humorous mediocrity in both social communication and common sense as a whole. As implied, the absent minded professor tends towards a complete disregard for occupations of reality and is rarely depicted as having a traditional job, never even mind something outside of their field of science. The absent minded professor is both creative and ingenious in his devices though rarely takes up roles as a leader.

The Evil Genius/Mastermind: INTJ, (Gendo Ikari of Evangelion)
-Usually depicted as the villain, or an intelligent person who has used their gift in the service of evil. The Evil Mastermind is pragmatic, introverted, and disturbingly insensitive to the emotions of others, up to and including the world at large. Typical statements such as, “You have all fallen into my master plan”, or other such remarks involving their strategy are common. After the moment in which their success seems inevitable, the Evil Mastermind is typically outdone by their arrogance and underestimation of the main character’s abilities

The Western Gunman: ISFJ, (Any of John Wayne's Roles)
-Usually features a strong, silent older man who either wanders from place to place or is seen as an outcast within their present town. Said outcast is in truth a highly skilled gunman with strong, conservative morals and honorary practices, often stated at the end, either concretely or subtlety to be the final reference to a past era of honorable men. This type tends to be paralleled in samurai flicks though the F may be swapped with a T

The Workaholic: ESTJ, (Richard from the movie Little Miss Sunshine)
-A stock character in several movie and TV dramas, the workaholic is a business man so completely enamored with his work to the exclusion of everyone he loves. He will often quote statements about on-the-job ethics and subscribe to a manufactured code of success of which he has a hand in enduring. The Workaholic persists through a socially dysfunctional life plagued with divorce, lack of romance or a host of other negative occurrences, of whose issues will only be addressed at the end of the work, when he realizes the value of family and personal commitment

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Questor (INFP)
Inspirational teacher (ENFJ)
Panicky preacher (INFP)
Psychiatrist (INTP)
Fool/Joker (ESFP)

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
Don't complain.... We are just too unique to be archetype or stock anything! HAHA :D

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
There are no ENFP on any of the above lists...

ENFP archetype: Minstrel/Jester/Actor
INFP: Questor
INFJ: Wise (old?) man/mentor
ENFJ: Femme Fatale/ Inspirational teacher
ESTJ: Workaholic/Police chief
ISTJ: By-the-book cop/Accountant/Sports mentor/Henchman
ISTP: Technician/Supersoldier
INTP: Geek/Super hacker/Absent-minded professor
INTJ: Evil genius/Mastermind
ENTP: Con man/ Mad scientist
ENTJ: Competent man
ESTP: Rule-breaking cop/Jock
ESFP: Girl next door/Town drunk/Funny sidekick
ESFJ: Evil high school popular girl
ISFP: Hooker with a heart of gold
ISFJ: Worried sweetheart/wife

Thought I'd make a compilation of some of these excellent lists

Valuable_Money

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w6
I always thought INTx was fairly common in detective movies, then again all I can think of is the black guy from 7even and L from death note soo...

laughingebony

MBTI Type
INTP
The only one that comes to mind and hasn't yet been covered...

The complete badass protagonist and/or spy in an action movie - ISTP

TickTock

Mud and rain and chaos...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
ENFP - the charmer with a hidden spiritual and sensitive side.