• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Doors of Perception

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Each person is at each moment capable of remembering all that has ever happened to him and of perceiving everything that is happening everywhere in the universe. The function of the brain and nervous system is to protect us from being overwhelmed and confused by this mass of largely useless and irrelevant knowledge, by shutting out most of what we should otherwise perceive or remember at any moment, and leaving only that very small and special selection which is likely to be practically useful. According to such a theory, each one of us is potentially Mind at Large.

„If the doors of perception were cleansed
everything would appear to man as it is, infinite.“

~Aldous Huxley

Anyone ever read the book, I never did and I am just lurking on amazon thinking about, if I should buy it.

I just know the song:

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1ffupfTW9A"].[/YOUTUBE]

Oom

Your time is gonna come.
MBTI Type
IsfP
Enneagram
5w4
I've heard of the book. It looks cool.

I remember posting on the dumb band names thread, I thought The Doors was a stupid name. I had no idea they were named after this though.

I thought they were just... The Doors.

I find the doors of perception to be convincing. I don't know why, maybe I just like the idea.:rolleyes:

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Remember it was I who had the Jim Morrison avatar for so long.

The Doors actually based their name off of Huxley's The Doors of Perception, and I think Morrison, in some ways more than others, exemplifies this concept as a human.

I went through a phase some months ago where I was absolutely obsessed with the concept of the Doors of Perception. I read a shit ton of stuff on it online, and studied into it via Jim Morrison's philosophy.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
ouh the doors, damn it, never thought about that :D. I only know the german title which says Pforte, what would be gate, but Jim damnit Jim, one straight guy who still can surprise me everytime anew :)

Ok I bought the book :)

StoryToTell

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
5w4
I once checked this book out but never got around to reading it. Maybe I should though; human perception is fascinating.
How does the book propose one open "the doors of perception" ? I remember reading it had something to do with mescalin? Or does it go beyond usage of substances?

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
ouh the doors, damn it, never thought about that :D. I only know the german title which says Pforte, what would be gate, but Jim damnit Jim, one straight guy who still can surprise me everytime anew :)

Ok I bought the book :)

actually, there is some speculation that Jim may have been bisexual, or even homosexual. :D

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I think LSD tho this could be Hoffmann tho