• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Natasha Khan / Bat for Lashes

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
I admit I know next to nothing about her personal life/beliefs, but her lyrics seem very INFJ to me. (I actually really wonder if it's possible to type someone only based on their works...)

Any thoughts?

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yep. I was thinking the same thing from her lyrics: INFJ. I have a magazine lying around with her on the cover. If I ever dig it out and read it, then I will come back with a more informed opinion :D.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[YOUTUBE="6oT8l_9sxkk"]Bat for Lashes on IMF[/YOUTUBE]

I agree with INFJ (for about the first time ever). I get an Ni dom vibe from her and her music. I like how she mentions her "mystical, magical creations." And she looks a lot like sanveane, fwiw. ;)

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I created a thread for her with the same results: a wonderful INFJ

Soar337

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I know I'm probably wrong but why is she an INFJ and not an INFP? What is it about her/her songs that you get the J vibe? I can relate to them big time, there very souly-type songs I just wondered where the J came into it?

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I know I'm probably wrong but why is she an INFJ and not an INFP? What is it about her/her songs that you get the J vibe? I can relate to them big time, there very souly-type songs I just wondered where the J came into it?

I suppose INFP could be a possibility, but she would have to be one very proficient in Ni (and there seems to be some that are). I think pretty much all INFs and/or Enneagram 4s could relate to her though. But I say INFJ because she seems Ni dominant, rather than Fi dominant; she's drawn to the esoteric and mysterious. Her music is essentially all about her imagination and visions.

Soar337

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I suppose INFP could be a possibility, but she would have to be one very proficient in Ni (and there seems to be some that are). I think pretty much all INFs and/or Enneagram 4s could relate to her though. But I say INFJ because she seems Ni dominant, rather than Fi dominant; she's drawn to the esoteric and mysterious. Her music is essentially all about her imagination and visions.

But this is what I'm drawn to and how I express myself through creating :/

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
But this is what I'm drawn to and how I express myself through creating :/

Do you? I would think an INFP would focus on their feelings more and trying to invoke those. But I'm not sure I know any INFP musicians. Ah well. Hopefully others will chime in with their thoughts.

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
Actually, just like Soar337, when I first heard her songs I also thought she was INFP, because a lot of her images and visions perfectly resonated with my own imagination; therefore I wouldn't say that this is what distinguishes Ne from Ni (even though I'm far from being an expert on this). However, later I found that even though the form seemed very familiar, the content somewhat did not. I hope this won't reveal any deep prejudice on my side, but it seem to me that NFJs I know seem to have a different view on love and relationships than NFPs I know (including myself).

It seems to me that young NFJs seek very deep and mysterious passion, and when they don't see this 'perfection' in their love interest, it's either quite hard for them to truly fall in love with that person, because they don't find them 'worthy' of their deep love, or, when the relationship is already established, but 'the magic has gone', they move on and seek for the magic somewhere else; and that is what I see reflected in Natasha Khan's lyrics.

I realize this is very arguable but from what I've observed, INFPs have a tendency to become deeply loyal to their parner over time even if they find out their not 'ideal', because they will overlook their mistakes and deeply focus on their qualities, which is what prevents them from 'moving on' to seek another 'ideal'. That is perhaps why Khan seems a little 'flighty' to me, even though she's certainly not.:)

Soar337

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Yes, that makes sense Space Oddity. I think I'm very loyal too. I also find it weird how Natasha has different identities (Pearl and Prescilla) I like how it's part of a story but this could also be a J trait... :)

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Actually, just like Soar337, when I first heard her songs I also thought she was INFP, because a lot of her images and visions perfectly resonated with my own imagination [...]

The thing is, just because you feel you can relate to an artist/person, doesn't mean they are your type. You have to take yourself out of the equation and look at it objectively. Or else every artist you can relate to will be your type, or close to it. There are plenty of songs that I think "I could've wrote that," but that doesn't make the artist or songwriter INFJ. People have similarities that have nothing to do with type.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The thing is, just because you feel you can relate to an artist/person, doesn't mean they are your type. You have to take yourself out of the equation and look at it objectively. Or else every artist you can relate to will be your type, or close to it. There are plenty of songs that I think "I could've wrote that," but that doesn't make the artist or songwriter INFJ. People have similarities that have nothing to do with type.

no, it just makes them the same or a very similar enneagram type. i relate to 4w5 and 5w4 in almost all contexts. they want to go to very similar places. yet they process information in a different way, their attentions are differently distributed, etc.

at this point i won't think of one without the other. there is too much missing in the articulation of personality with just myers briggs type. if you are trying to predict social and communicative compatibility, direction, etc.

and of course you can also absorb and emulate others you have known. which gives you a little angel-devil voice inside your head vying for attention, the final sway on the juries verdict, your own interpretation, your team of wall street brokers trying to make their deals, etc. i identify with aspects of personalities and persons who have greatly affected my way of seeing the world, understanding myself, judging (relating) both logically and holistically, etc.

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so

I can see your point, Lauren Ashley, but I agree only partially. I know it's pretty stupid how some people try to type others only according to how they subjectively view the type or depending on similarities they see in the typed person's characteristics (which often have absolutely nothing to do with type) and their own, but I actually do try to take myself out of the equation and look at it objectively. However, in my opinion, if one wants to give it a try and type someone one doesn't know personally, there are only two things that could help them: 1) general similarity of that person to people one knows and has typed accurately (and I'd say there's really nothing much but a 'feeling' to rely on in this case, so I wouldn't condemn feelings that much:) , as well as comparison of general traits), 2) the way how cognitive functions are reflected in that person's works/words, eventually pointing to 1) anyway.

In my opinion, typing artists is a pretty difficult and deceitful business (and in the end there's no one to confirm the result anyway), but I'm trying to get the hang of it with the help of 1) and 2). I'll be glad to hear about any new method (I'm still learning after all:) ), but I'd like to stress that I'm already far from typing people only by 'feeling', but for me, comparison has proven as a good way of typing, if done correctly.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^Oh, that was just a general comment, and not so much directed towards you.

V

violaine

I agree with INFJ (for about the first time ever). I get an Ni dom vibe from her and her music. I like how she mentions her "mystical, magical creations." And she looks a lot like sanveane, fwiw. ;)

Haha, thank you! She actually looks very much like my sister too in this I/V.

Hmm, I definitely get the INFJ vibe from her. She sounds like her process was very systematic and it is a familiar one to me. (I remember doing almost exactly the same in terms of scrapbooking and having many, varied, definite references when I was designing some business cards for a friend as a bit of a lark. I do the same when I'm writing and I want to be in mind of something and when I rennovated an apartment, though in that case it's not so unusual.)

But what makes me think J rather than P is the way that she qualified that she welcomed happy accidents as a secondary consideration during the recording process. It puts me in mind of a J who doesn't typically count on happy accidents, lol. Would be very interesting to hear the opinions of INFPs though, especially OrangeAppled.

Actually, just like Soar337, when I first heard her songs I also thought she was INFP, because a lot of her images and visions perfectly resonated with my own imagination; therefore I wouldn't say that this is what distinguishes Ne from Ni (even though I'm far from being an expert on this). However, later I found that even though the form seemed very familiar, the content somewhat did not. I hope this won't reveal any deep prejudice on my side, but it seem to me that NFJs I know seem to have a different view on love and relationships than NFPs I know (including myself).

It seems to me that young NFJs seek very deep and mysterious passion, and when they don't see this 'perfection' in their love interest, it's either quite hard for them to truly fall in love with that person, because they don't find them 'worthy' of their deep love, or, when the relationship is already established, but 'the magic has gone', they move on and seek for the magic somewhere else; and that is what I see reflected in Natasha Khan's lyrics.

I realize this is very arguable but from what I've observed, INFPs have a tendency to become deeply loyal to their parner over time even if they find out their not 'ideal', because they will overlook their mistakes and deeply focus on their qualities, which is what prevents them from 'moving on' to seek another 'ideal'. That is perhaps why Khan seems a little 'flighty' to me, even though she's certainly not.:)

Dear lord, this is an awful state to be in, very painful and troubling. It is very difficult to give up on the idea of that mystical bonding that feeds all of one's wellsprings. Truly it does come with time and experience but the INFJ imagination and appetite for love and connection in a relationship is so powerful that we can almost taste what that state feels like to the exclusion of the sweet realities of our actual relationships.

And you describe it just so, it is about weighing someone for worthiness whether we realize it at the time or not. An INFJ would never be happy with someone they have deemed unworthy, even if they stay there will be great unease.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
She is an INFJ. I feel my internal compass needle orienting.

V

violaine

^Oooh, nice euphemism :p. In that case, we need to hire you out like one of those truffle hogs, there's money in that there talent.

V

violaine

Scouring the land for INFJs and then making appropriate matches of course.