• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you think role-playing games are a N or S activity?

MBTI Type
INFJ
Ehm, I know this is a silly questions, but I don't know how to put it in a better way. Of course I do not mean to nail it down to saying "Ss like it, Ns don't".....I would just like to know if you think there might be a preference in either S or N types...

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
I thought this thread was going to be about role-playing in the bedroom.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The above comment isn't bad.

Usually N's really get into them because of all the abstracted aspects, but I've seen SPs into them because they're fun, they're not as much interested in the big-picture coherence in the gaming session and actions they choose -- totally different approach to adventuring between the two groups.

(SPs = most likely to smoke pot while playing, ha)

NFs seem to really enjoy the "acting" part of RPG and creating character storylines/relationships; NTs seem to be more into the world-building and mechanics.

I haven't known a lot of SJs to get into them, although you'll find an occasional ISTJ who will play a very specific character "by the book" or an ESTJ who likes to GM.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
My S family introduced me to it. I think it can go either way. My ESFP mom used to host games at her house all the time and we had the coolest dress up themed parties too. My ISTP step dad used to DM.

They also introduced me to fantasy and sci-fi oh my!

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I started playing table-top RPGs in 2004 and still do to this day with a varied group of people:

I GM/DM 99% of the time and my players include:
ENFP
ISTP (ENFP's girlfriend, otherwise she wouldn't play on her own)
ISTJ (ENFPs little brother)
ENTP
INFJ
INFP (at least one, the other is speculative xNFP, but seems very I)

we've had some others which included another ISTP and an ISFP who is too far away at college.

It's quite a lot of fun but I've noticed some patterns as to why they play and what each of their focuses are on (despite whatever character they're playing). It goes like this:

INFP (me): I GM because it's a great creative outlet, and I'm quite a perfectionist at my design so I put quite a bit of effort into making the games feel immersive and deep (and whatever events take place in-game make sense). I love to build the world.
ENFP: Very enthusiastic about the role-playing aspect of playing a character. He likes to create reasoning behind his character's goals and factors out his own interests as a player. This becomes a bit lost when he gets around the table and loses focus.
ISTP: very shy, she's still a bit new. Changes the subject whenever it is required to role-play in character. Either she isn't comfortable in doing it or is unsure of her own character, she's gone over her character with ENFP but refuses to explain to the rest of the group. Likes the combat aspect of the game. Observer.
ISTJ: Plays for the combat, plain and simple. He's been with us for about 3 years so he's getting better at playing a character. When he isn't stating what he is doing in game he is often playing around with his phone, figgity, or surfing the internet. Wants to run a zombie campaign.
ENTP: Comes off as if he doesn't take the game seriously but when it comes down to it he is very inclined to interact with other NPCs to find out information, very inquisitive. Thoughtful. Funny.
INFJ: I've known him before I could even walk so I get him pretty well. Seems to act as though he's uninterested, but deep down he is. Although he doesn't take it as seriously as ENFP and I. He's either in or out. When group size increases he tends to lose focus and not speak as much. Usually the one to get boned randomly by scary things in the dark.
INFP: was very into playing really good characters. Cared a lot about money and power regardless of his role (although I think that's because he played WoW first). He typically had stereotypical background stories and such. Valued his opinion over the rest of the group. Metagamed quite a bit. He pissed me off a lot.
The Other iNFP: very creative. Plays interesting characters. Quiet but smart. Wants to run his own games. I'm trying to encourage him to.
ISFP: Very 'with the flow'. Enjoyed doing whatever, just wanted to play. But when it comes down to it he is about as inquisitive as ENTP. Always plays the black guy for some reason, lol.

From my experience, the Intuitives tend to think out the character aspect and role-playing of the game, seeking to discover or uncover mysteries. They are often playing out of curiosity. The Sensors tend to really like combat, and the statistical aspect of the game. The one ISTP who doesn't play with us anymore (only because ENFP is with his ex-fiance :| ) was really focused on realism and kicking ass. He zeroed in on combat details and never cared about what goals or personality his character had. Besides the ISFP, the other Sensors tended to play very 2 dimensional characters, whereas the Intuitives gave them at least a little thought.

Role-playing itself is very N. Unlike a video game, you don't have any computerized images or audio to go along with it. People who don't have a very developed N will not like this, even if they like RPGs.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
MMORPGs are God's gift to NTs. A gift and a curse.

B

brainheart

I have zero interest in RPGs. I don't need something concrete or physical like that to pretend. It's all in my mind.

Snow Turtle

It's definitely a geek level activity. :D

I've tried creating new characters but found that I'm not really good at roleplaying others as I have a tendancy to act how I would in real life. So half the time my characters are played as chaotic/neutral/lawful good.

The fighting aspect was my favourite, but even more so was coming up with the combinations and neat tricks within the game. The only problem with my teachers campaign was that it was extremely history focused and I just got lost with having to memorize all the politics and royalty within the game.

Cleric/Mage FTW!

tsumatachi_san

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I love RPGs, and actually there is some truth to the S=FPS and N=RPG statement earlier.

INFJ (me) = really into RPGs, not so good at FPS's but still enjoys them in co-op mode.
INTJ = seems to enjoy both equally - gets more competative with FPS's though.
INFP = only seems to enjoy RPGs/SRPGs, really not fond of FPS's.
ENFJ = neither, not a gamer (seemed to like Animal Crossing though).
ESFJ = FPS's - likes showing off how far he's gotten.
ENF/TP = FPS videogames but likes RPG board games.

The INFP and me actually have a very similar taste in RPGs (mostly JRPGs), but I tend to get more involved with the characters while she seems to prefer the storyline.

There also seems to be a consistent pattern in which kind of RPG characters everyone uses (when they do play) :
INFJ (me) = mage/healer
INTJ = warrior
INFP = archer
ENFJ = ?
ESFJ = the most protagonist-like, usually warrior.
ENF/TP = archer/speedy warrior (like a ranger or something)

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Pen and paper RPG's appeal more to N's but you will find a fair amount of S's playing them too.

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
tsumatachi_san said:
INFJ (me) = mage/healer
INTJ = warrior
INFP = archer
ENFJ = ?
ESFJ = the most protagonist-like, usually warrior.
ENF/TP = archer/speedy warrior (like a ranger or something)

our INFJ always plays wizard or cleric. And our ENFP likes rangers and light-fighters/archers.

MBTI Type
INxJ
I haven't known a lot of SJs to get into them, although you'll find an occasional ISTJ who will play a very specific character "by the book" or an ESTJ who likes to GM.

Definitely. The SJs usually enjoy DM, but not much else.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
You never know...
ESTJ husband loves to roleplay, improvises like mad; as GM his preparations fit on half a page.
I(something)FJ mother loves to roleplay, and her character is super extravert! (She says that during play she can do really weird things she never dares to do in real life.)

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My characters are usually some sort of extrovert. The ones I've made for myself are ESFP, ENFJ and ENTJ.