• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Where the Wild Things Are

michL87

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
I know it's not out yet ... but what do you all think?

From the book and the previews, I would say that Max is an INFP.
I have a tendency to want people to be INFPs, but he really seems like one :)

Argus

MBTI Type
ENTP
I haven't read the book yet, so I'll post when I see the movie.

Hopefully the movie will be loyal to the book.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I haven't read the book yet, so I'll post when I see the movie.

Hopefully the movie will be loyal to the book.

Isn't the book essentially a picture book?

We aren’t talking War and Peace here.:D

Grace

MBTI Type
INTJ
I did not like this movie. Max is so annoying and the whole thing is just depressing.
I could see Max as an INFP. I did love love Judith and Ira though. They were so cute/funny. Don't know how to type them though.

Grace

MBTI Type
INTJ
I took a three year old (who generally loves movies) to see it and she was ready to go after about an hour. I read the review posted and maybe the reason I didn't like this movie is because I personally couldn't identify with Max. I never would have talked to my mom the way he did and certainly would never have bit her. I hope that I never end up having a son like him.

wolfy

awsm
From the review and what else I have read it seems like an excellent movie about childhood rather than a movie for children. I can't wait to see it.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Yeah, I saw it last night with my friend. I think it might appeal to a few older kids (9-12) but not the majority of them. I thought it was an interesting interpretation of the book - obviously the original is spartan that it was always going to be mostly interpretation!

I didn't love it, but I liked it. I thought Max should've been more of a terror though. It was toned down way too much in the second half of the movie. (Maybe I was a terror as a kid?) Overall, I wish it had been less morose and talk-y. Especially his leaving. It was always jubilant I thought, and the movie made it so wet and sappy instead. But I liked the parts with his mom and family life.

Argus

MBTI Type
ENTP
Isn't the book essentially a picture book?

We aren’t talking War and Peace here.:D

I have also never SEEN the book. I found that out shortly after making a fool of myself.

michL87

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Just saw the movie -- my best friend and I agree that Max is an INFP.
He escapes into his own world and doesn't really identify with the "real world" as much as others around him.

Also, the way he got angry was very INFP-like. He would be angry inside and not say anything, he let it slowly boil, and then he would explode.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I made a thread on this. It went no where. Just like everyone of my other threads. FML.

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Max is without a doubt INFP. He could be nothing else.
We're quite a breed :rolleyes:.
The movie was so painful to watch at certain parts. The way he interacted with his mother was almost identical to the way my mother and I got along. Sometimes I'd make her laugh with my weird quirks and other times she couldn't understand what was wrong with me and remind me to calm down. Rocky relationship thhat but still pretty strong at the same time. Weird. You'd think she'd understand me more since she's Fi-dom, too (ISFP). But whatever.
Another thing that just killed me was Max's vulnerability.
I felt all of his pain. I understood it all so well.
I felt like I was re-visiting my childhood or something.
Great memories and some pretty tragic ones :)()

Anyway, although I (unfortunately) related to the movie well I loved it.
And like the idiot that I am, I actually cried at the end.
Yep.
I cried.
And my ESTP friend took a picture for laughs. (juuuuust great!)
Uh did anyone else catch the symbolism?
My ESFJ didn't like the movie. She thought the ending was bad because Carol didn't get a chance to apologize to Max, but I don't think any other ending could have worked.
I have the feeling that I'm not going to be understood.
So, I'll go grab a shield or just crawl back into my cave and brood some more.
[Question: Can someone simply "brood" or must they be "brooding"?]

EDIT: "I have a feeling I'm not going to be understood" See Below.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INFP? hmm...I won't disagree in the context that the value of any type of art is in the eye of the beholder. That's the beauty of it.

However, I distinctly saw strong ISTP elements as well.

1. The snowball fight and having built his fortress.
2. Crossing a raging sea and exploring an island on his own.
3. Considering the practical needs of the "Wild Things" and building things.
4. Who else but an ISTP would run head first into the side of something to see if it "gave?"
5. Showing the "Wild Thing" how the kid felt vs. saying by making a heart shape and an initial out of the model remnants.
6. Going home and moving on from the "island" experience, by being fully present in the existing moment vs. emoting and/or retrospecting.

I'd say there's something in the movie that almost every type can identify with.

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'd say there's something in the movie that almost every type can identify with.

Well of course anyone could relate to it!
That's kinda beside the point I was making.
The things you mention you can relate to are things that I, too, can relate to.
Does that make me an ISTP?
Nope.
But it could be linked to the functions we have in common: the introversion and perceiving function. Or not.
Who knows?
I still think he's INFP.
:D