• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Tori Amos

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Tori Amos - wtf?

Some of her lyrics, especially on the album 'Under the Pink' - and especially Yes Anastasia say xNTP to me. But my spider sense tingles and says it's not quite right. I'm always thrown by female T's...

What do y'all think?

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
My guts is telling me INFP, but I barely know anything about her ...

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I'd go INFP.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
It is almost impossible to guess imo. I have loved her since 1992 but she is still an enigma to me.

I went to see her in 1997 and we were notified after waiting for more than an hour she would not be appearing. If memory serves there were some personal issues involved (we're all human right?). People were leaving and we were about to as well, when the goddess herself emerged! She was worth the wait, her performance was amazing! :wubbie:

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Despite owning all of her albums and having read her biography/auto-biography 'Piece by Piece', I am still not positive. She's certainly complex. She seems very in touch with who she is, and into self-growth, and is really curious about people (although, definitely eccentric :). I question her being INFP, simply because she seems to have a pretty take-charge, more opinionated attitude about things - and seems pretty solid in where she stands. And, at times she almost comes across as NT, but given her entire life and how she lives it, I definitely think she's an NF.

I almost think she could be ENFx - because in her book she seems to really thrive off of being around people, and getting to know people, and she doesn't seem quiet/reserved AT ALL -- even outside of her performances, in everyday life, she seems to really put herself out there. In addition, it didn't seem like she was terribly shy or wallflower-ish as a child. She questioned authority (for example, The Church - her father was a pastor), and was inquisitive, and started performing in clubs in her teens. If nothing else, I think she's a fairly balanced E/I. I also think INFJ isn't out of the question. [And, oddly enough, I can see why substitute thinks she's a T - but again, given her life as a whole, I go NF]. I guess I see INFP as my last choice of the NF's.

The book is SO interesting.:) Obviously it can leave more question marks on her type, though....

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
Despite owning all of her albums and having read her biography/auto-biography 'Piece by Piece', I am still not positive. She's certainly complex. She seems very in touch with who she is, and into self-growth, and is really curious about people (although, definitely eccentric :). I question her being INFP, simply because she seems to have a pretty take-charge, more opinionated attitude about things - and seems pretty solid in where she stands. And, at times she almost comes across as NT, but given her entire life and how she lives it, I definitely think she's an NF.
I really like how lately she has been taking the piss out of stupid celebrities during her performances. YouTube - Tori Amos - I'm not stupid + Winter
I also think INFJ isn't out of the question.
I can sort of see that :)
The book is SO interesting.:)
I didn't even know she wrote a book! I will certainly check it out. :yes:

She has recently been on late night TV and I just can't get over how gorgeous she still is! I would love to see her live again, but she isn't going to be in my neck of the woods this year so I'll just have to wait. I also didn't know she was born in NC!

Tori Amos: A Who2 Profile

anii

homo-loving sonovagun
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
I've seen her perform... my guess is...

ENXP.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I didn't even know she wrote a book! I will certainly check it out. :yes:

Yep!! She co-wrote it with another woman, but I can't recall the other woman's name.

As for performances, I don't think one can determine a musicians mbti based on performance alone...it can be kind of like acting, while up on stage.

But as for Tori, she writes in her book that she brings many different 'archetypes' with her on stage, and that's their time, and when she leaves the stage, they go back within her. Given that, I think she shows many different sides of herself while up there...none of them are truly her, but they are pieces of her. hahaha..at least, that's one of the overall things I took away from the book.

She's *awesome* in performance, though. I love her. I saw her 4 yrs ago, and will be seeing her again on Nov. 7...row 10. YAY!

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I just think a lot of the things she says and writes in her lyrics are the sorta things that NF's wouldn't 'dare' to put out on show, especially INF's.

Like I say I find that with many female T's I've typed them wrongly to begin with because it seems women often have a natural aptitude with people compared to men, which makes the T's come across more F-ish than male T's, just in my experience. This is why I'm uncertain as to whether she's T, with a more well developed F perhaps due to femininity or other things (not that I'm suggesting that all women are automatically better at F stuff or worse at T stuff ffs before you go there!), or whether she's an F with a T-ish streak at times.

It's also hard to say whether her outgoingness and ease with people is down to extraversion or feeling, or both.

So everyone else is as stumped by her as me then?

I reject INFP. I've never known an INFP as willing to say 'mean' and nasty stuff as she is.

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
T seems unlikely, from bits and pieces I've heard, there doesn't seem to be a lot of the hard logic, skeptical, interest in some system or how things work, and/or hard data viewpoints that almost all Tish people seem to have.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm not sure what type she is, but these song lyrics strike as something from an INFJ:

"The Waitress"

So I want to kill this waitress
She's worked here a year longer than 1
If I did it fast you know that's an act of kindness

But I believe in peace
I believe in peace Bitch
I believe in peace
I believe in peace
But I believe in peace
I believe in peace Bitch
I believe in peace

I want to kill this waitress
I can't believe this violence in mind
And is her power all in her club sandwich

But I believe in peace
I believe in peace Bitch
I believe in peace
I believe in peace
But I believe in peace
I believe in peace Bitch
I believe in peace

I want to kill this killing wish
They're too many stars and not enough sky
Boys all think she's living kindness
Ask a fellow waitress
Ask a fellow waitress

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I strongly reject T. NFs aren't all mealy-mouthed wussies, yanno. :) Ever been to any kind of protest or peace rally? You've seen Fs say plenty of "mean" things.

I'm starting to agree with those who say INFJ, although she still seems INFP to me in a lot of ways.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Based on the song "Sweet Dreams" I'd say INFP I can see myself writing something like that. Of course I'm not 100% sure of my type, so I could be wrong. I don't know how she is in person as I've never seen her and only really listen to her music.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
But see, I don't think you can really go by song. As I mentioned earlier, she has a thing with archetypes. Her songs/albums also reflect her emotional state, and period of life she was in when she wrote it. In her book, she commented that she'll sometimes write a song with a specific person in mind, that the song is about. So I guess I don't see the lyrics as necessarily pointing to any type that SHE might be -- I mean, if I were to write a song each year of my life, or each month, many different sides of myself would emerge.

And with all of her songs....you could probably find a case for nearly all of the 16 types!! :) Well, ok...maybe all of the N's.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
hmm yea,I also don't listen to all her songs, some of them I don't like others I love. but every musician I listen to I like some of their stuff but then will skip over other songs.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Well alright, say I don't go for T, but I can't totally go for F either.

So what've we got? ENxx? Any advance on that?

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
I can't see a T trace at all, even the various "mean comments" (I haven't heard very much of these, so cannot say anything about a pattern here.), sound like social competition type of stuff, or just venting.

As described before, there seems to be very little qualities that could be associated with a Tish person. (Interest in how things work, rule following, fun/odd just for the sake of being fun/odd, neutral outside observer type viewpoints, hard logic, etc.)

In music terms, I'm comparing the music inside my head to stuff like movie/computer game soundtracks, Rammstein, U2/REM/Depeche mode types of music, etc. It's hard to explain, but the music and comments I've heard sound more emotional type of stuff, and less hard logic/hard rules/non-person/pure fun based than what most of these other types produce.