• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Larry David?

Triglav

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
Larry David fucking rules, Curb Your Enthusiasm is one of the best shows on television. His demeneor and attitude towards life is interesting because I, an INTP with ENTP qualities, tend to see a lot of myself in him, how he always goes on long tirades to explain that what he did was right, how he questions social norms, how he doesn't really realize the implications of what he's doing, or he does, and he does those things anyway just to see what would happen. Any input on this?

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Heh, there have been threads on this before, and although no one agrees with me I see Larry David as an INFJ that is living out his revenge fantasies. He says in interviews that this is the person he wishes he could be, but he never acts on his fantasies.

I have to say that as an ENTP I don't relate too much to him. While I say what I want and don't care what people think, Larry David obsesses over what people think. He also obsesses over little things that seem trivial to me. On the other hand his thought process is eerily similar to my INFJ wife.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I went for ENTP first, but lately I think he's just a really arrogant and unusually self-confident INTP.

He's soooo Ti almost all the time; most of the show's humor is based on that.

Grace

MBTI Type
INTJ
I love Larry David! It makes me pleased that he may be the same type as me. He thinks about things the same way as I do but I wouldn't say a lot of what he says (I'm too worried about hurting other people's feelings). My boyfriend (ENTP) reminds me a lot of him too. Sometimes when we are talking to each other we go on tangents where we both sound like Larry David and I think if anyone else listened in, they would be horrified.
I would definitely say ENTP over INTP though. INFJ maybe. Just a very insensitive one.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't know where you guys get INFJ at all. He's constantly trying to explain to people logically why they shouldn't feel how they do, and much of the humor comes from his hilariously undeveloped Fe.

When his Fe does come out it's typically immature and very unaware of context, typical for a tertiary/inferior function (INTP's inferior Fe.) I don't know how you guys can get INFJ at all.

ENTP is much more possible than INFJ, but still doesn't quite work because he doesn't use all that much outward Ne. I don't see anything other than INTP working here.

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
I don't know where you guys get INFJ at all. He's constantly trying to explain to people logically why they shouldn't feel how they do, and much of the humor comes from his hilariously undeveloped Fe.

When his Fe does come out it's typically immature and very unaware of context, typical for a tertiary/inferior function (INTP's inferior Fe.) I don't know how you guys can get INFJ at all.

ENTP is much more possible than INFJ, but still doesn't quite work because he doesn't use all that much outward Ne. I don't see anything other than INTP working here.

I think INFJ because his show is so focused on social mores. I don't think about these things as much as he does, and I'm an ENTP with a fairly developed Fe. I think he could be an INFJ who resents being one.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think INFJ because his show is so focused on social mores. I don't think about these things as much as he does, and I'm an ENTP with a fairly developed Fe. I think he could be an INFJ who resents being one.

I don't know about David's real life personality, but his character on the show is horrifically out of touch with social mores.

Not INFJ. The main theme seems to be Ti showing how ridiculous it thinks most social mores are.

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
I don't know about David's real life personality, but his character on the show is horrifically out of touch with social mores.

Not INFJ. The main theme seems to be Ti showing how ridiculous it thinks most social mores are.

Just to be clear: I think Larry David, the real person, is an INFJ. Not the character. I think the character is an NT.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Just to be clear: I think Larry David, the real person, is an INFJ. Not the character. I think the character is an NT.

I'm not sure the character on the show is really typable. All the scenarios come from INFJ revenge fantasies. Larry gets to live out on TV all of the things he doesn't have the guts to do in RL. So he's either a really neurotic NT, or a really insensitive NF.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I've always thought both George and Larry David, the television personalities, were INFJs who primarily operated within the whole tertiary temptation Ni-Ti loop. Personally, I don't think xNTPs would care enough to get in to the situations he gets himself into, and I agree with LL in that his episodes are basically revenge fantasies.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Seems INTP to me. Ti seems clear, and as a writer, his observations and humor centers around it. With Ni vs. Ne, Ne is more apparent, especially in his back-and-forth banter, speculating over different interpretations, mulling over possibilities. And his Fe is weak (kinda what Curb is based on, but exaggerated).

So there is just more reason to suggest INTP instead of INFJ.

I went for ENTP first, but lately I think he's just a really arrogant and unusually self-confident INTP.

Creating the best sitcom of all time will do that.

soleil

MBTI Type
ENFP
Seems INTP to me. Ti seems clear, and as a writer, his observations and humor centers around it. With Ni vs. Ne, Ne is more apparent, especially in his back-and-forth banter, speculating over different interpretations, mulling over possibilities. And his Fe is weak (kinda what Curb is based on, but exaggerated).

So there is just more reason to suggest INTP instead of INFJ.

Creating the best sitcom of all time will do that.

I agree. His Ti/Ne is pretty obvious. Plus his Fe is almost non-existent. George Costanza was an INTP from what I can tell and was loosely based on LD himself. It would make sense for him to be INTP irl. It just seems to fit.