• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

G

Ginkgo

I have yet to read the book, but I saw the movie two days ago. It was depressing, but I love the over-all message.

Here is my impression (if there are any discrepancies between the film and the novel, please inform me). I acknowledge that most of these characters are probably unhealthy, but whatever.

Randle Patrick McMurphy- ENTP

Nurse Mildred Ratched - INTJ

Dale Harding - IXFJ

Billy Bibbit - INFP

Sydney Lassick - ENFP

Martini - ISFP

Chief Bromden - IXXX

Max Taber - XSTP

VagrantFarce

I'd say Randle is ESTP, but that's probably only because Jack Nicholson plays him. :D

Benny

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
8w7
He's an ESTP all right.

Cunning, history of assault, sex with a minor

Ratchet is ISTJ, but Im not sure about the rest. They're crazy!

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I'd say Ratched is INTJ. She was very intuitive, imo, when it came to how she planned and executed the things she wanted to accomplish. That and I just can't see many evil ISTJs out there...

I'd agree with ESTP for McMurphy entirely, and for INFP on the Chief.

Tradewind

MBTI Type
INFJ
Nurse Ratched isn't evil. She is just as much a victim of the system as all of the other characters. She is just extremely unhealthy. Her role is all about maintaining control over the ward as well as the other patients. She does this by emasculating the male patients. Overall, she is cunning, intuitive, smart, and methodical.

She sounds like an unhealthy INTJ

Chief is the quintessential INFP. He's insane but has an inner fantasy world that is intuitive and reveals truth. He has inner strength.

Also, McMurphy is a definite ESTP. He's heroic and a good leader in a crisis but does not care for social convention or rules. Is based in the present and is very physical. Wants to make an impact and take advantage of opportunities.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm with the Nurse Ratchet is an ISTJ camp.

One of my favorite movies ever.

Tradewind

MBTI Type
INFJ
My reason for her being INTJ is her unhealthy use of Se. She uses it to threaten the patients. "If you refuse to take your pills I'll just have to give them to you rectally"

She makes it perfectly clear that pain follows not obeying her and that punishment will be immediate and physically brutal.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That's probably a better reason than mine. My reason is the 10 years I've worked with an ISTJ female boss who jokes that the way to make men behave is to make emasculating remarks when they get out of line. It's possible she's mistyped but I doubt it; she told me her type herself and she does not make mistakes.

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Sadly, this movie is actually not far from the truth when compared to psych. hospitals in the 70s! So many anecdotes. One of a few reasons I didn't complete my training as a psych. nurse.:shock:

Tradewind

MBTI Type
INFJ
But, I'm not completely sure I can't really remember her ever using Ni. She's pretty controlling and into the whole order thing. She was an army nurse so xSTJ makes sense. Also, I was kind of just talking out of my ass. You guys are probably right.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sadly, this movie is actually not far from the truth when compared to psych. hospitals in the 70s! So many anecdotes. One of a few reasons I didn't complete my training as a psych. nurse.:shock:
:yes: The exact reason I'm not a music therapist. One semester of observation at Saint Elizabeth's mental hospital did me in.

Tradewind

MBTI Type
INFJ

Its interesting you say that because Kesey wrote this book based off his observations while in a mental hospital. He was testing LSD for the government at the time. He was an orderly.

FlamingMask

MBTI Type
INTp
I have yet to read the book, but I saw the movie two days ago. It was depressing, but I love the over-all message.

Here is my impression (if there are any discrepancies between the film and the novel, please inform me). I acknowledge that most of these characters are probably unhealthy, but whatever.

Randle Patrick McMurphy- ENTP

Nurse Mildred Ratched - INTJ

Dale Harding - IXFJ

Billy Bibbit - INFP

Sydney Lassick - ENFP

Martini - ISFP

Chief Bromden - IXXX

Max Taber - XSTP

I think most of these are spot-on.

My opinions:

McMurphy - E_TP - I am not sure whether he is S or N. He definitely has a hedonistic streak in the movie, which is what landed him in trouble in the first place. At the same time, as the movie proceeds, he seems to have more than disregard for the rules (and something more like NT-contempt for the arbitrary rules). I think part of his reluctance to leave is rooted in his belief that the patients are harmed by Ratched’s control, and his leadership style is a lot like Keirsey’s NT Individuator in that he wants and provides for them some freedom to grow. This is the one of the two reasons he takes the patients on the fishing trip: 1) For the SP Se experience of it, 2) For the catalyst of growth and confidence that the trip provides. See how he puts Cheswick, for example, at the wheel of the boat.

Nurse Ratched - ISTJ - I can't recall a more distorted SJ character in a movie. Sure, we're all used to the cliche INTJ scheming villian, but I think Nurse Ratched is a classic dysfunctional SJ. Ratched as an SJ would make her the perfect nemesis of an NT McMurphy, assuming that’s what he is. She is obsessed with rules and procedure, and often uses them as favored tools in her sadistic treatment of the patients. Recall what she says after the “incident” with Billy Bibbit:

“The best thing we can do is go on with our daily routine.”

Harding - ISFJ

Billy Bibbit - ENFP - He seems more shy than introverted.

Cheswick - ENFJ - Definitely an NF. He reacts strongly to having his perceived rights trampled on (with the cigarettes), and notably, during one prominent scene he is disturbed enough by the lack of Fe being used by Nurse Ratched that he has to speak up:

“If Billy doesn’t feel like talking, why are you pressing him?”

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5NyyC-UjBM&feature=related"][/YOUTUBE]

YouTube - i want my cigarettes

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jESI8JZUbDQ&feature=related"][/YOUTUBE]

YouTube - World Series Scene - One Flew Over the Cuckoo's nest

Martini - ISFP

Chief Bromden - INFP

Taber - _S_P

Pogo

Ok. First of all I am an INTJ. To who all are stereotyping INTJ, you all are just viewing on a narrow perspective, on a cliche mode. I have lived with an ISTJ for 24years now and I can exactly tell you the differences. Firstly Mildred Ratched is ISTJ. Why?

1. She is introverted, ofcourse.
  2. This is where everyone has confusion. Let me tell you this. People with sensing tend to see lot of details and flaws, they see smaller picture and are willing to go to great lengths for themselves and their loved ones. They love rules and perfection. They love to be right always and are masterminds when needed. An unhealthy ISTJ goes a great lengths to achieve something they want. They wouldn't care about any person other than themselves. While people with N(Intuition) tend to think on all levels and perspectives. They don't see the details, they see a bigger picture on how everything helps them. They don't waste they precious mind to think and plot so much for one person, being very very caluculative they don't see the need to plot and corrupt their already corrupted mind. Most importantly INTJ's do not take time to go indirect ways about a thing, if they set their mind to achieve something, their method will be direct and brutal, yet they'll win, in their own ways, they don't take all the energy to put up a show.
  3. Thinker over a feeler. It's self explanatory.
  4. Judgment over perceiving is also self explanatory on why Mildred is careful plotter and doesn't entertain change or spontaneity.
I hope this suffices all your doubts on stereotyping an INTJ into a villian/mastermind category always. Someone INTJ would more be like Dr. Strange, straightforward and no nonsense. He doesn't need to put up a show to prove his behaviour or to save someone. He sees the bigger picture of saving millions of people over saving Tony(which doesn't mean that he never cared for Tony, but he knew what had to be done, putting his priorities aside)