• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Charles Darwin?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Darwn was clearly an introvert if the documentray about him that I saw is correct.

He was a huge fan of walking alone through nature/environment just so he can think in peace.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Darwn was clearly an introvert if the documentray about him that I saw is correct.

He was a huge fan of walking alone through nature/environment just so he can think in peace.

Yeh, extroverts are too busy being at all those parties I don't go to every weekend ;).

I have to say that origin of species is a very easy read for me as an ENFP. It is very visual/metaphoric and is almost poetic. Maybe articulate would be a good word to describe him. What INTPs write in science journals and at work is quite stop/go by comparison, so I'd rule them out. INTJ I'm not sure about.

If you want him to be an introvert I might be happy with ISTP, INFJ or INFP. I don't quite see the INTJ thing yet. Maybe he was an ISFP or ISFJ even. They like animals. I haven't seen a conclusive argument for any type here so far.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Charles Darwin was an INTP 5w6 so/sp, I think. Now here's why:

INTP - He was obviously very fond of observation, detaching to analyze and then, based upon the gathered information, forming a theory in order to explain the phenomenon which, ironically, was a rather traditional process of discovery that ended up turning the religious paradigm on its head, so he was definately a very radical thinker, making me think he was INTP.

5w6 - He was a rationalist. His theory relied on no superstition or help from God on high, but rather can be explained through purely naturalistic themes where in contrast Einstein, a 5w4, was largely metaphysical in his thinking, his relativity theory being just as much if not more of a philosophy as a workable scientific theory so, based on the differences, I also think he was INTP 5w6.

so/sp - This one I am not as sure about, though I just know that a lot of scientists who challenge the conventional ways of thinking are often social first, and self preservation second, since they also do not share the erotic feelings sometimes evoked by the sexual instinct so, based on that as well, Darwin appears to be INTP 5w6 so/sp.

Feel free to provide counter-arguments if you wish.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
ExTJ...... though the 5w6 may still be accurate.....

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Charles Darwin was an INTP 5w6 so/sp, I think.

i don't know about so/sp, but i would think this is a very good guess.

i would put marx as intp 5w6 so/sp, but so/sp is clearer based on his social philosophy, his obsession with class, and his critiques of hegel. bc for marx (and what i imagine to be so/sp), in an absence of true sharing, the felt absence of privatized desire, authentic will, sx presence, creates a kind of disfigurement. for my necessary sense of community to be controlled by the private desires of other individuals in ways that undermine the communitarian values that i hold is simply unacceptable. because i will always feel used, rather than a sense of authentic belonging, authentic brotherhood, etc. in the end, i fear that you will always try to take more than your share, claim possession, and grow your own private wealth at the cost of my own. darwin i don't really have that kind of evidence to make a judgment.

furthermore, 5w6 have an appreciable rigor and consistency of inquiry, whereas 5w4, while rigorous in their quest for truth, follow a process that is often far more about themselves. more of a quest for self-mastery as a form of self-expression. 5w6 are the ultimate science-for-the-sake-of-science scientists. i often rely on their work, because it is the most grounded.

and personally, i think 5w6 makes you intp, intj, or istp. the positing as deductive, but actually equally constituting functional explanation to me feels very similar to marx and very similar to the explanations given by the intps i know. they get off on really casting the lure quite far when they are testing a problem. what if this class of stories, and this class of stories, and this class of stories are not the answer? what are the differences between them? what other possibilities could exist? so really, i guess, it's the stories about stories process that seems to create layers of possibility and start to weave together seemingly functional, circular explanation in the form of deductive inference. a necessity to create grand meta-narratives like "evolution" or "historical materialism"

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think INTJ, probably 5w6 (So/Sp maybe?)

Robopop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Jung mentions him as an example of a extraverted thinking type, I'd say he was INTJ.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Jung mentions him as an example of a extraverted thinking type, I'd say he was INTJ.

I agree, he seemed much more evidence based than an INTP

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've never met the guy, but making observations about the world around you (Se) and seeing patterns in those observations (Ni), and then synthesizing them into something that makes sense (Ti) is classic ISTP. I could see INTP or INxJ maybe, but the patterns he figured out seem more Ni-oriented than Ne-oriented, and everything I've read about his personality (admittedly not much) fits better with a Ti than a Te mindset.

I think there are a lot of ISTPs in biology, actually. It fits in well with our preferred functions and is more directly connected to real life than many other areas of science (speaking as a grad student in biology)

edit: he could be a Si-heavy INTP though, I suppose. That can sometimes resemble ISTP.

Nicki

Retired
All I know is that he uses Ni. Ni goes deeper and deeper into an idea, adding more details as it discovers more. Seems to fit him well.

W

WALMART

INTJ or ISTP 5w6 sx/sp.

As you mentioned [MENTION=15371]RaptorWizard[/MENTION], he chose a science where the scene was already evident - he just had to connect the dots. I view INTP's more forcing the dots into place, though people aren't always caricatures of type.