• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Blackwater's List of Controversial Philosopher Typings

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've read Creative Evolution, and while there isn't much Fe in that book, it does have a lot of Ni-Ti-Se. So yes, I agree that Bergson was probably an INFJ.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
incorporating all social theorists?

Gregory Bateson infj
Kenneth Burke infj
Mikhail Bakhtin infj
Jean Baudrillard
Marshall Mcluahan
Herbert Mead (intj?)
Georg Simmel
Erving Goffman
Vygotsky
Georges Bataille
Pierre Bourdieu (for someone who's ready to pull out hysteresis and habitus, i really should know this shit)
Michel de Certau
Henri Lefebvre
Gaston Bachelard
Roland Barthes
Michel Serres
Bruno Latour
Paul Ricouer
Hans Gadamer
Emmanuelle Levinas
Maurice Merleau-Ponty
Edmund Husserl
Francois Lyotard
Guy de Bord
Walter Benjamin
Max Horkheimer
Frederic Jameson
Louis Althusser
Antonio Gramsci
Max Clifford
Clifford Geertz
IA Richards
Ernesto Grassi
Stephin Toulmin infj?
Emile Durkheim
Marcel Mauss
Stuart Hall
Raymond Williams
Eric Piaget
Rolo May
Abraham Maslow
Giorgio Agamben
Guattari
Hardt
Negri
Laclau
Mouffe
Jean Luc Nancy
Ranciere
Virno
Nicolis
Donna Harraway
Victor Turner
Rudolph Otto
Van Der Leeuw
Peter Berger
Prigogine

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Hitchens as has been succinctly put, is practically the ENTP prototype.
George Bernard Shaw: Why ENTP? I've seen him usually typed as ENTJ, so I'd be interested to know your reasonings
Milton: INFP? Really? Could be, but are you really sure?

JHBowden

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Kierkegaard has to be an INFJ. Kierkegaard expressed a vision, not a judgment-- his feelings serve his intuition, not vice versa. His Knight of Faith is clearly the champion ESTP shadow.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Kenneth Burke infj

My advisor was friends with Kenneth Burke when he was still alive (he's practically in love with the man), and he always tells us these stories about Burke getting drunk and going on near-nonsensical, intuitive rambles. That always made me think he was probably some sort of Ni dom. Well, that and what appears to me to be excessive Ni in his writing.

Plus I mean he's like the savior of rhetoric (at least according to some worshipful people in my department), and what is rhetoric if not Fe? I would be inclined to agree with you that he was probably INFJ.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My advisor was friends with Kenneth Burke when he was still alive (he's practically in love with the man), and he always tells us these stories about Burke getting drunk and going on near-nonsensical, intuitive rambles. That always made me think he was probably some sort of Ni dom. Well, that and what appears to me to be excessive Ni in his writing.

Plus I mean he's like the savior of rhetoric (at least according to some worshipful people in my department), and what is rhetoric if not Fe? I would be inclined to agree with you that he was probably INFJ.

i feel myself lean maybe 60/40 on burke being entp vs infj. dramatism = Fe. rhetoric = Fe.

i would be very interested to hear more of your perceptions. mine are very young with regards to burke, i just instantaneously knew he was my favorite rhetorician of all time. i'm using his book on shakespeare for my shakespeare course. what is your program (i seem to have forgotten)?

if i go onto phd, it's gonna be rhet comp, eng-comp lit, or comm-rhet-cultural studies. i still have to figure out how to explain to myself and my advisors why my secretly-auditing 19th century philosophy course is my favorite course out of all of my coursework in my english ma program. something seems askew with that.

anyway, entp or infj- burke feels like home to me like only a few thinkers do (jung, wittgenstein, bateson, and burke). others excite me, but the problems they address aren't as giant for me.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
i feel myself lean maybe 60/40 on burke being entp vs infj. dramatism = Fe. rhetoric = Fe.

I never considered ENTP. I guess it's possible. I'm still more inclined to say INFJ.

i would be very interested to hear more of your perceptions. mine are very young with regards to burke, i just instantaneously knew he was my favorite rhetorician of all time. i'm using his book on shakespeare for my shakespeare course. what is your program (i seem to have forgotten)?

if i go onto phd, it's gonna be rhet comp, eng-comp lit, or comm-rhet-cultural studies. i still have to figure out how to explain to myself and my advisors why my secretly-auditing 19th century philosophy course is my favorite course out of all of my coursework in my english ma program. something seems askew with that.

Rhet-comm.

Burke was apparently a really independent, eccentric type of person. Those who seem to love him most are impressed with his devotion to what was essentially legitimate academic work without any official affiliation with an academic institution. He was truly an independent scholar.

Are you in for a terminal ma?

anyway, entp or infj- burke feels like home to me like only a few thinkers do (jung, wittgenstein, bateson, and burke). others excite me, but the problems they address aren't as giant for me.

I have only read A Grammar of Motives and part of whatever that one is (I forget the fucking title) that talks about "terministic screens" and man as a "symbol using animal," so I'm definitely no Burke guru. From what I've read so far, though, I find him a bit, eh, so so. His ideas are not ground-breaking for me. Especially the goddamn pentad.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Merleau-Ponty's Phenomenology of Perception has some Ne in it, but it positively drips with Ni. If he wasn't an NJ, he was extremely good at pretending to be.

JHBowden

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
We need to add some ENTJ's to the mix. Aristotle is probably a member of the club. Perhaps Marx belongs too. His entire thought is extroverted, subordinating everything to external conditions.

G.E. Moore was described as very impartial and very fair, but also as impatient, strenuous, emotionally involved, a person with a low tolerance for "stupes." Someone would read a muddled paper to him, and Moore would interrupt, pounding on the table for emphasis, "What ON EARTH are you talking about?" Likely ENTJ.

Also sign up Gilbert Ryle, who had an extroverted philosophy with an executive way about it. Everything in Ryle's philosophy is exposed, transparent, and manageable. A lot of people call him a behaviorist, though he ought to be considered the Aristotelian variant of ordinary language philosophy. Ryle didn't believe we were robots; he was all about performance, success, abilities, skill, exercise. Most likely ENTJ, with a small chance of ENTP.

David Stove was very likely an ENTJ, with a jocular, abusive philosophical style. Like Freud, he had a good nose for the human rationalization hamster.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
What about John Rawls? Some sort of TJ methinks.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
marx feels intp to me. 19th century "first principles" = intp. all the hegelian and related german thought battling it out over Ni (intjs) and Ti (intps).

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
marx feels intp to me. 19th century "first principles" = intp. all the hegelian and related german thought battling it out over Ni (intjs) and Ti (intps).

agreed. Its for similar reasons that I just cannot see Kant as an INTP. He HAS TO BE intj.

Lotr246

Anyone familiar with Colin McGinn? I appreciate his philosophical approach to Shakespeare.

JHBowden

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
I've been reading through George Santayana-- friendly, inspiring, graceful, sympathetic like a feeling type, yet adapted to the way of things are like an extrovert. We may have discovered our first ENFJ philosopher!

I'm leaning more in the direction for ENTP for Ryle these days; Plato's Progress is definitely interpretative and conjectural, like Ryle is just sniffing together a narrative.

JHBowden

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Ryle is an ENTJ, fo sho

[YOUTUBE="LVnN0pmquTg"]Ryle[/YOUTUBE]

S

Sniffles

Eric Voegelin - INTP?
[youtube="54UyHB2qncY"]Voegelin[/youtube]

velocity

MBTI Type