• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Regina Spektor

Lightyear

I would say ENFP or INFP. Her music is very quirky and different and there is a deep quality to it that makes me think she is an Intuitive (or perhaps I am just biased).

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would say ENFP or INFP. Her music is very quirky and different and there is a deep quality to it that makes me think she is an Intuitive (or perhaps I am just biased).

you are
look at the lyrics
tertiary Ni is how she expresses her creativity, making her seem intuitive
and Se is very hunchy

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
My guess would be INFP, but she must be one of the sweeter variants. Always smiling shyly, giggling, etc. I think some of the more "cynical INFPs" might find her too bubbly and be unable to relate.

Usehername

On a mission
I don't know anything about her, only her music, but from her lyrics and playfulness she strikes me as ESFP all the way, in the same style as my ESFP sister. Hmmm. Maybe I'll have to read up about her.

Edit: I'm still going to stick with my ESFP performer typing. My ESFP sister is in vocal/piano performance in university, knows some typology herself, and says that this is the prototype of her and her classmates. Note how the interview references she "doesn't always know the meaning" herself, i.e. that is xSxP playing with language rather than xNFx focus on meaning.

Lexan

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Interesting. I thought she was a clear INFP. ISFP maybe, but there are a few reasons I would argue with that.

To me, she seems pretty introverted, but a rather liberated introvert at that. You can see her softness and timidity.

Remember, intuition means a focus on possibilities, whereas sensing means taking what is and perhaps molding it into something else. In her songs I can the clear use of intuition, and she does have a lot of intuition going on.

Clearly feeling over thinking, and perceiving over judging.

Check out this interview:

YouTube - Regina Spektor - Interview

Yes, she does say 'lots of random stuff, no meaning', but I think she is very shy and probably didn't know how to answer the question, and really the only meaning that could be taken from the songs would be in hearing the songs themselves.

I honestly think she is too 'dreamy' to be ISFP, INFPs are otherwordly, whereas ISFP are more realists.

Usehername

On a mission
Interesting. I thought she was a clear INFP. ISFP maybe, but there are a few reasons I would argue with that.

To me, she seems pretty introverted, but a rather liberated introvert at that. You can see her softness and timidity.

Remember, intuition means a focus on possibilities, whereas sensing means taking what is and perhaps molding it into something else. In her songs I can the clear use of intuition, and she does have a lot of intuition going on.

Clearly feeling over thinking, and perceiving over judging.

Check out this interview:

YouTube - Regina Spektor - Interview

Yes, she does say 'lots of random stuff, no meaning', but I think she is very shy and probably didn't know how to answer the question, and really the only meaning that could be taken from the songs would be in hearing the songs themselves.

I honestly think she is too 'dreamy' to be ISFP, INFPs are otherwordly, whereas ISFP are more realists.

Yeah Regina is a wacky INFP.

Her lyrics are near-always are about playing with words, or playing with sounds (she is arguably one of the most versatile and risk-taking vocalist when she makes dolphin sounds/gutteral/whatever). This is what an SP does, and does well. I'm not as certain about the E v. I, but I am about SFP. She also says that anything she "hears or sees" has "a very high chance of ending up in the song. She talks about "taking in art all day" and then going home to write about it, in its randomness. This is dominant Se.

My ESFP sister is far more "dreamy" than her, and she still identifies as ESFP. I have her confirmation as a vocal/piano major that Spektor is a prototypical SFP personality in the music world (the type that dominates music performance studies).

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Well she's definitely no E. I also have an ESFP sister, and Regina would be out-manic-ed by her any day. Regina is very shy and nervous in interviews. Either ISFP or INFP (though I don't really have any basis upon which to call her an N, so you're probably right about the SP part).

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
[YOUTUBE="FBsIGqxzGeY"]Interview[/YOUTUBE]

Hmmm...it seems like she thinks a lot about global issues (however misguidedly). Perhaps this points a little bit in the direction of N?

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Her lyrics are near-always are about playing with words, or playing with sounds (she is arguably one of the most versatile and risk-taking vocalist when she makes dolphin sounds/gutteral/whatever). This is what an SP does, and does well. I'm not as certain about the E v. I, but I am about SFP. She also says that anything she "hears or sees" has "a very high chance of ending up in the song. She talks about "taking in art all day" and then going home to write about it, in its randomness. This is dominant Se.

My ESFP sister is far more "dreamy" than her, and she still identifies as ESFP. I have her confirmation as a vocal/piano major that Spektor is a prototypical SFP personality in the music world (the type that dominates music performance studies).

ok, I could see ISFP. I don't know a whole lot about her and was only going off a few songs that I happen to have heard, so ISFP seems fair enough.

But on a side note, SFPs don't really dominate music performance.

I find that SP musicians tend to develop a partial understanding very quickly and achieve medium-level skill much more quickly than their peers, but often tend to be too unfocused and just stagnate before reaching the higher echelons.

Most advanced musicians I know are actually not SPs at all, but rather they're either NPs (as far as rock bands and other such "popular music" go) or SJs if it's a classical setting.

If the task is "play this precisely how it is written on the page to technical perfection", SJs always win. If it's "Write out full song arrangements of your own material and create something fresh and unique", most of the best players I've met are NPs (though there is the occasional NJ who just turns it into a methodically planned out strategy game and then forms a plan to crush everyone...see Rivers Cuomo.)

Most of the SP musicians I know are in it almost entirely for the enjoyment, so they rarely have the discipline to study/practice hard enough to actually get REALLY good...as long as they have fun playing and entertain their friends, they don't really care much beyond that.

Yes I know the side note became the whole post, but I felt it was an important point. ^_^

Lexan

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
reginaaa...

I think the SP 'Artisan' stereotype can be misleading, as can all stereotypes of course. I understand why you think SFP, but I see her as a visionary - she creates characters, stories, feelings, moods, worlds. I wouldn't rule out ISFP, but I lean towards INFP at this time. Regardless of whatever type she may be, she is good. Very good.

YouTube - Regina Spektor Human of the Year QMU Glasgow

'...And though they do not know it, all mankind are now your brothers'

:worthy:

Usehername

On a mission
But on a side note, SFPs don't really dominate music performance.

I was saying music performance wrt my sister's performance degree in university, where there are less SJs, and less Ns of every kind. I wasn't insinuating that "musicians" who "perform" are mostly SPs. :)

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I was saying music performance wrt my sister's performance degree in university, where there are less SJs, and less Ns of every kind. I wasn't insinuating that "musicians" who "perform" are mostly SPs. :)

That's really not true either. In my experience at music school, the vast majority of performance majors were SJs...the whole rigid scheduling and "play exactly what I tell you" things appeal to them, and tend to turn off SPs because they need more freedom than that.

Argus

MBTI Type
ENTP
ISFP.

She weirds me out and I don't have the slightest clue what this broad is thinking.
I feel this way towards nearly all ISFP's.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My vote's INFP.