• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Reese Witherspoon's type, take 2

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Ok, because I'm a masochist I'm going to try to reply again and hope it doesn't get eaten. :)

But you did. :) I stated that I was sure she was an EFJ and that I would like to closely examine the S/N dimension. I then brought to the table the most NF quote in the interview I linked to order to show that I was aware of it but still would like to seriously discuss the possibility of her being an ESFJ.

Yes, sorry, I should have done that to begin with. I guess I was just disappointed that proteanmix's attention had apparently been derailed from my interest in the S/N dimension to yours in the P/J. :D

I dismissed your argument ("That is something a dominant perceiver would say, rather than a dominant judger") because I don't believe that one can type people from a single quote, so even if the quote was more quintessentially ENFP (or INFJ) than ENFJ, it wouldn't matter to me in the face of so much evidence (as I see it) for EFJ.

I agree that you can't type someone from a single quote. Curretly I have decided she is ENFP, but I am most open to the J/P axis. (You seem to be indicating that you won't consider her to be a P regardless of evidence presented.) If someone can give several clear reasons why she is a J then I will switch. So far the only thing I see that indicates that she might be a J is this quote:
It really bothers me when people don't use coasters. Particularly on my table.
One pet peeve does not make a J though. All P's have pet peeves. I certainly do, and I'm a strong P. Lots of pet peeves would indicate a J though. Could someone spell out a list of traits that clearly show she is a J? So far what I have seen is traits that are neither P or J, and sometimes things that even indicate a P preference.

Here are some reasons why I see her as an ENFP rather than EFJ. (Note that no one of these things says, "She must be a P", but these are traits that are associated more with P's than with J's.)

-She is extremely perceptive. This is evidenced because she won an Oscar for her portrayal of June Carter Cash.
-She is not hesitant to assert herself to authority figures.
-She gives her children quite a bit of independence, and has a "hands off" approach to child rearing.
-She started her own production company. P's are more prone to risk taking behavior such as starting a new business compared to J's.
-She describes herself as not at all like Tracy Flick from "Election" who is a clear J.
-She swears during interviews.
-She has good reactions and chemistry in response to other actors which is easier for a P than for a J.

Also when it comes to interviews I do not see her as strongly favoring P or J. She is poised without being anal retentive. Although when I think of the people I know who would come off as charming and poised during an interview without being overtly particular about things, they are all ENFP's. Her interview behavior is by no means outside of ENFP behavior range.

If you want footage of her looking like P, then here is some.
YouTube - reese witherspoon at MTVMovie

I haven't seen enough of her movies to get a good idea of her range outside the SJ spectrum. As Blackwater asks, has she ever played any N characters? In Cruel Intentions I believe her character is supposed to be an INFJ* but IMO she comes off as an ISFJ.

* The movie is based on the novel Dangerous Liaisons in which her character is an INFJ.

Pleasantville - ENTP, she doesn't like the perfect 50's town so she does some things to shake the town up and get them to change.

Legally Blonde - an ENFP caricature. She's a flighty genious. She likes to party with the sorority girls, but also has 4.0 GPA, passes the bar exam without much trouble, and comes up with a unique way to win her court case in the end.

Sweet Home Alabama - ENFP, A successful fashion designer has trouble deciding which man she wants to be with.

By contrast

Election - ESTJ, Overachiever Tracy Flick works hard by the "tried and true" methods in order to get elected class president.

She can portray both N and S characters, which means she is an N. S's do not portray a wide range of personality types. They focus on more concrete and specific elements, rather than more general and abstract elements like personality type.

Thanks for the tip. :) I don't recall having seen any of her movies though, so I'm holding out for someone more (currently) famous.

"Norma Rae" and "Forest Gump" are both good ones. If you are a movie buff like me then both are considered "must see". :)

I've researched a lot of actors by now and it's a common claim that they're not at all like their characters. :rolleyes: I don't take their word for it, instead I go by my own impression and I do in fact think RW has the 'annoyingly perfect' thing going on. Just watch the longer interview I link to in the OP.

Well you can't type a character on one quote, but you can't disregard it either. Really what a person says about themself is going to be the best information you can get about them though. No one knows a person as well as they know themself.

Regarding ENFJ/ESFJ, I'd really like people's comments on the following:
When watching interviews with her, I don't actually see her 'see through' people the way I normally find that ENFJs do; she doesn't seem to be as naturally in touch with and playing to the responses of the interviewer as definite ENFJ Kate Winslet.

Both ENFJ and ESFJ are going to get in touch with and respond to their interviewers, because both are Fe dominant. A situation where you might see a difference is when the interviewer has a significantly different background than the ESFJ/ENFJ. The ESFJ would still try to connect, but would have difficulty and become frustrated. The ENFJ, being more open, would have an easier time connecting with someone quite different from themselves. Both would make the attempt though since both are Fe dominant.

The reason Reese Witherspoon does not try to connect as much with interviewers is that she is Ne dominant. She can "see through" other people just fine, but she is often content to simply observe and not act. Ne is more passive so it can connect with people if the person wants, or it can remain passive, but an Ne dominant will not feel so compelled to connect with the other person. Fe, being a judging function, will make the EFJ want to connect with the other person to a greater extent than say an ENFP.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
-She is extremely perceptive. This is evidenced because she won an Oscar for her portrayal of June Carter Cash.
-She gives her children quite a bit of independence, and has a "hands off" approach to child rearing.
-She started her own production company. P's are more prone to risk taking behavior such as starting a new business compared to J's.
-She describes herself as not at all like Tracy Flick from "Election" who is a clear J.
-She has good reactions and chemistry in response to other actors which is easier for a P than for a J.

I'll give a more detailed analysis later on today, but how is any of this something an ENFP is more likely to do/better at than an ENFJ? And not cursing??!! Fuck! ;)

Even a couple of ENFPs have said that they don't get the ENFP vibe from RW, and while I'm not sure of her S/N, I very definitely get EFJ. Compare her to other ENFPs like Gwen Stefani or Nelly Furtado. Totally different vibe! Look at how RW dresses, very tastefully, a little safe, always classic. Also compare her demeanor to Nicole Kidman, an INFJ. NFJs have all functions in common only switched around. I see more similarity between NK and RW than Gwen Stefani and RW. XNFJ Jiminy made a very astute observation about ENFJs having a steadier emotional output. RW isn't as steam of consciousness as I would expect and ENFP to be among other things I'll pinpoint later.

Here are my guesses for other ENF actors and compare:
Sandra Bullock
Katherine Hiegl
Kate Hudson (ENFP)
Kelly Ripa (ENFP)
Will Smith (ENFP)
Samuel L. Jackson
Sarah Jessica Parker

I have no other evidence than my feeling, and I see more similarities between the three I've listed as ENFPs than the ones I haven't. They're all very congenial and warm, but the emotional vibe they put out is different.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I'll give a more detailed analysis later on today, but how is any of this something an ENFP is more likely to do/better at than an ENFJ? And not cursing??!! Fuck! ;)
Those are all things you'd see in an ENFP rather than an ENFJ. Maybe we are using different definitions of P and J? :huh: Although maybe I'm wrong about swearing. Swearing on an internet message board is not the same as swearing in a national interview. Are you saying that you'd feel as comfortable swearing on a national interview as you would on an internet message board or around close friends and family? If so I take back the comment about swearing. The other things I listed describe a P moreso than a J.

Even a couple of ENFPs have said that they don't get the ENFP vibe from RW, and while I'm not sure of her S/N, I very definitely get EFJ. Compare her to other ENFPs like Gwen Stefani or Nelly Furtado. Totally different vibe! Look at how RW dresses, very tastefully, a little safe, always classic. Also compare her demeanor to Nicole Kidman, an INFJ. NFJs have all functions in common only switched around. I see more similarity between NK and RW than Gwen Stefani and RW. XNFJ Jiminy made a very astute observation about ENFJs having a steadier emotional output. RW isn't as steam of consciousness as I would expect and ENFP to be among other things I'll pinpoint later.

I don't think you can type people based on "vibes". Also if you are going to compare her to singers, then you are starting to compare apples to oranges. I also don't think you can type people based on dress, and I don't really think I can respond constructively to this paragraph, adding that I doubt Nicole Kidman is INFJ. Anyway let me just move on to the next section.

Here are my guesses for other ENF actors and compare:
Sandra Bullock
Katherine Hiegl
Kate Hudson (ENFP)
Kelly Ripa (ENFP)
Will Smith (ENFP)
Samuel L. Jackson
Sarah Jessica Parker

I have no other evidence than my feeling, and I see more similarities between the three I've listed as ENFPs than the ones I haven't. They're all very congenial and warm, but the emotional vibe they put out is different.

I can't comment on the type of most in that list, because I don't know enough about them, but I'd certainly buy Will Smith and Samuel L. Jackson are ENFP. Also let me add a third to that list: Bill Cosby, also ENFP. So we have three black, male ENFP actors, and personally I get a very different vibe from each one of them. I strongly suspect that other people do as well. This is why you can't type people based on vibes and feelings. ENFP's especially are very good at mimicking another type if they want to. (This is why there are so many ENFP actors.)

I'd like to look at a variety of different elements that I hope everyone can look at and say "This is definitely J, and that is definitely P, etc..." and so we can all agree objectively. Wouldn't you agree that this is the best procedure? :) Otherwise we'll just end up sticking to the type we prefer ENFP, ENFJ, ESFJ, or INTJ and we won't be able to come to any kind of consensus.

Lookin4theBestNU

MBTI Type
ENFj
Enneagram
2w3
Economica is keeping me busy :). I think she is ENFJ through and through.

Walk the Line interview:
If you watch her body language she comes off as restrained. She actually used her hands when talking very little (the only time was about the dress). She had a warm personality, talked about her family, and did all the thank-you's etc. for Fe. She didn't come off as bubbly however. I've typed Rachel Ray as a solid ENFP, compare the two and I can see the differences clearly. This interview (with the exception of her straight back crossed legs Jish body language did not reveal much insight into her lines of thinking.)

Hurricane Katrina interview:
She came off her as most certainly having idealistic vision. She showed much more speaking with her hands, but not dramatically. Communicating her idealism from my opinion and really getting into it. You see her squint and looking for the words just to express how important it was to her. She mentions: amazing counselors taking care of their mental health and other needs. I think this all seemed ENFJ.

The written interview was exceptionally insightful into her lines of thinking.

How the writer described her: Funny, blonde and whip-smart -- what more do you need to make it in Hollywood? Would you believe ordinary? Not everyday ordinary, but wise, kind and down- to-earth ordinary. Loves to cook and takes her kids to Sunday school ordinary. (people who like me anyway ;) have described me the very same way at times!)

W:My mother is very funny and laughs all the time. And she made me feel funny, because everything I ever said was funny to her. So that builds your confidence.
(One of my primary focuses in life is not only building my own confidence but others as well)

W:I was always doing impressions. I remember I used to do this whole routine where I would answer my telephone with different accents, and my mother and father thought it was hysterical.
(mimicking is a trait of ENFX, with ENFJs it comes almost without thought even if you don't want it to)

W:I'm so stupid in some ways. Sometimes I don't get the most obvious jokes. But I think I'm savvy. Like with comedy. I'm not intellectual. My dad is. He uses words that no one can possibly understand nor care to look up. I'm more emotionally intelligent. I can intuit people's behavior and their feelings. That's what I do for a living.
(I could have written this nearly word for word. I however consider myself an intellectual of course. ;))

W:It's so important to me. I mean, you play to your strengths. And to me, that's one of the only things I've got.
(playing your strengths...I remember a debate I got into with an ENTJ on a statement almost exact to this. I very much believe in that.)

W: I'm really serious. I mean, if I'm going to make it in this business, I'm not going to make it on being sexy. It's just not who I am. It's better to focus on what you're good at.
(wow. She is really right on here...being sexy... just seems so not the way to go in life. I've never wanted to really use my sexuality it's uncomfortable. I have personal stories relating to this exact idea and the choices I made in life, though they are unimportant for this purpose!!)

W:Absolutely. I've got a daughter. I try to think, What kind of person would I want to look up to if I was 12 or 13? It's important to have respect for yourself. Don't throw your intellect away because it's popular now to be physical and beautiful. Honestly, there's such a movement in that direction right now, and I don't really understand it. I try not to get on my soapbox about everything, but it's just hard for me. I think about how many people had to work hard to get the vote for women, to get women into college, get women better jobs -- for equality. Some of those people who seem to be throwing away their intellect should think more about how they are re-creating an old image of inferiority.

(This abolutely sealed the deal for ENFJ for me. Role modeling/mentoring, ideals, future oriented etc. I know this may not mean anything but I start many a sentence and thought with "honestly" it helps me confront how I really feel.)

W:She has six degrees, and she taught me about taking care of yourself and that it's important to have a sense of independence. She was a great example of being self-made.
(It sounds as though her mother was her mentor. I have HUGE respect as well for independence and being self made! ENFJ :)!

She is reluctant to accept compliments in all of the interviews. I can't tell you the numbers of times people have said I need to learn to do that better. I'm learning I just don't want it to go to my head. Now I am going to go back and really read what you all wrote!

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I just think it's notable that an ENFP on this thread has chimed in and said they DON'T see Reese as an ENFP (was there more than one ENFP?).

And an ENFJ and ExFJ have chimed in and said they DO see Reese as an ENFJ.

Wouldn't people who actually ARE these types have more of the inside scoop?? ;-)

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
And so it begins...

I started another thread about differences/commonalities between ENFJs and ENFPs. I am of the belief that ENFPs and ENFJs often get confused for each other, more so than ESFJs and ESFPs because both are NFs. I am also of the belief that ENFJ Jness doesn't look like typical Jness because I think Fe is more likely to be used to connect and not to enforce. I think that NeFi looks like Fe. ENFPs that are more Fi than Ne tend to be more centered than ENFPs that are more Ne. Likewise ENFJs that are more Ni than Fe tend to look more stereotypically ENFP than ENFJs who are more Fe than Ni.

What I think is happening with RW is if she is in fact an ENFP, she's a more Fi heavy ENFP, which to take the phrase from XNFJiminy gives her a more constant and steady presence that is more characteristic of an ENFJ.

Note to Economica: I'm focusing on J/P because it helps to decipher if she is Fe dominant or Ne dominant.

L4TBNU: I agree with your commentary.

I agree that you can't type someone from a single quote. Curretly I have decided she is ENFP, but I am most open to the J/P axis. (You seem to be indicating that you won't consider her to be a P regardless of evidence presented.) If someone can give several clear reasons why she is a J then I will switch.

TLL, I don't consider J/P a "function" meaning someone "acts like" a P or J because they're neat or messy or late or timely or things like that. J/P is strictly an indicator of the dominant function.

Here are some reasons why I see her as an ENFP rather than EFJ. (Note that no one of these things says, "She must be a P", but these are traits that are associated more with P's than with J's.)

I don't know any ENFPs or ENFJs personally to ascribe certain behaviors to a type. All I can do is answer for myself and if another ENF wants to chime in then even better. I will say that I don't want this to turn into a competition between ENFs to day which is more what. I can see both of these types equally able to do these things. I don't know if it would be easier for one type to do it than another, but I don't think that it's strictly within the domain of an ENFP or ENFJ.

Are ENFJs not perceptive? If you want to compare Oscar nominations, Kate Winslet (an ENFJ who is roughly the same age is RW) has been nominated four times. Her performances are very organic and she approaches acting similar to the way RW does:

KW:
"I just always try and be as accepting of that person as I possibly can, and remain non-judgmental about their process, because every actor works in a different way."

"I was a wayward child, very passionate and very determined, If I made up my mind to do something, there was no stopping me."

"Just because they lived 200 years ago doesn't mean they didn't go to the toilet and pick their noses and feel what we feel. Emotions have not changed. They're not aliens just because they're wearing corsets."

RW:

"Who is so arrogant and vain that they don't want people to know they're real or human? That they're fallible? We are all just people. That's part of what's amazing about being an actor. It's about compassion and deep feeling for other people's pain or struggle or drive. I never feel above them. I never feel beneath them. That's probably what led me to this profession."

"I've argued with lots of directors, because they pay you to come in and give your two cents about your character. It's going to be you up there on the screen and you should know better than anybody what you're doing."

"...I think you just have to accept that we're all just big goobers. I think that's what brings peace in life; realizing sooner rather than later that we're all just big goobs!"

An ENFJ afraid to assert themselves? Have you seen my signature?? Have you ever experienced ENFJ Righteous Anger and Indignation accompanied by Se that'll probably pick up and throw something at you, tear the walls down, and then apologize profusely afterwards all the while saying it really wasn't their fault because they were trying to help you?! And then don't let me think someone is being mistreated! You should really get around some ENFJs in defense or revolutionary mode.

Well, I most definitely wouldn't be a hands off parent, so if ENFPs are more prone to being less involved with their children then I concede this one.

I don't know if that is true or not. Even if Ps are more likely to start their own business that doesn't mean that Js don't start their own business at all. And I'd think that an J business venture is more likely to suceed than a P business venture because a J is more driven and committed after the initial novelty wears off. That was hideously stereotypical so you are completley within your rights to ignore it. Also, why did she start her own company? Did she feel there was a dearth or a void that needed to be filled in Hollywood? Fe!! She saw a need and wanted to fulfill it. Not that Ne wouldn't do this, I'm not trying to an ENFP wouldn't I'm just trying to get at her motivations (which none of us really know but so help us, we're trying).

Hey I'm a J and I'm not at all like Tracy Flick. Once again, I'm not using J/P as an individual function. Even if I was, there are gradients between J/P just like any other trait.

Isn't Bono supposedly an ENFJ? Doesn't he like to swear in front of the UN and presidents, and prime minister. I'm all for cussing if it will emphasize a point and impress upon people the seriousness and passion with which I'm speaking. Plus it's fun! Fuckety fuck! Now would I swear on national TV? Hmmm, not likely. But just because RW feels comfortable cussing doesn't mean that ENFPs feel more comfortable doing it while ENFJs don't.

I really don't think you can say that most Ps have better chemistry with other people. That's not at all true. If anything I think Fe would be better suited for responding in this regard.

I will say that I think that ENFPs adapt more quickly to their environment than ENFJs and quickly is completely relative. It could mean 5 vs 10 mins or 5 mins vs. two weeks. I think ENFJs need to figure out the what the rules of engagement are to feel comfortable moving foward. Which is one of the reasons I think EFJs are not immediately as outgoing as EFPs. EFPs feel more comfortable stepping out without a guidebook, whereas EFJs need to take a little time to catch their barings. If any ENFPs or ENFJs would like to chime in about this I'm very interested in hearing what they have to say.

Also when it comes to interviews I do not see her as strongly favoring P or J. She is poised without being anal retentive. Although when I think of the people I know who would come off as charming and poised during an interview without being overtly particular about things, they are all ENFP's. Her interview behavior is by no means outside of ENFP behavior range.

How many ENFJs do you know? Can you really make a statement like that? You make ENFJs sound so brittle and rigid that they'll snap in half.

She can portray both N and S characters, which means she is an N. S's do not portray a wide range of personality types. They focus on more concrete and specific elements, rather than more general and abstract elements like personality type.

I really don't think ability to portray S and N characters makes someone an N, or can be used as evidence that the particular actor is an ENFP.

Well you can't type a character on one quote, but you can't disregard it either. Really what a person says about themself is going to be the best information you can get about them though. No one knows a person as well as they know themself.

Agreed, which is why I tried to link to as many quotes as possible and Economica used youtube interviews.

The reason Reese Witherspoon does not try to connect as much with interviewers is that she is Ne dominant. She can "see through" other people just fine, but she is often content to simply observe and not act. Ne is more passive so it can connect with people if the person wants, or it can remain passive, but an Ne dominant will not feel so compelled to connect with the other person. Fe, being a judging function, will make the EFJ want to connect with the other person to a greater extent than say an ENFP.

Fe is about connecting and disconnecting if necessary. I don't know if RW is trying to connect with the interviewer, maybe she tries to connect with the character she's portraying but I wouldn't waste my time trying to connect with the interviewer.

I don't think you can type people based on "vibes". Also if you are going to compare her to singers, then you are starting to compare apples to oranges. I also don't think you can type people based on dress, and I don't really think I can respond constructively to this paragraph...

I type on vibes and I trust those vibes to be accurate. Nothing we're doing here is scientifically validated so I'm not going to stop. Also I do think dress is indicative of personality type. I hight doubt an ENFP would be as safe a dresser as an ENFJ. Don't you think an ISFJ would dress differently than an ISFP or ESFP or ESTJ?

I can't comment on the type of most in that list, because I don't know enough about them, but I'd certainly buy Will Smith and Samuel L. Jackson are ENFP. Also let me add a third to that list: Bill Cosby, also ENFP. So we have three black, male ENFP actors, and personally I get a very different vibe from each one of them. I strongly suspect that other people do as well. This is why you can't type people based on vibes and feelings. ENFP's especially are very good at mimicking another type if they want to. (This is why there are so many ENFP actors.)

The only ones I feel confident in saying were ENFPs were the ones I listed. I think Samuel L. Jackson is ENFJ. In his more serious films he's always saving and redeeming someone, Black Snake Moan, 187, Resurrecting the Champ, and I've seen his Pulp Fiction character typed ENFJ which I think is completely plausible. I lean towards Sandra Bullock and Katherine Hiegl being ENFJs also.

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
Note to Economica: I'm focusing on J/P because it helps to decipher if she is Fe dominant or Ne dominant.

But proteanmix, I've thought all along (in this thread, anyhow :D) that she's dominant Fe. I want to make sure she isn't an ESFJ. *stomps* :cry:

The recognition from you ENFJs is persuasive, to be sure, but I have to admit I am still not totally convinced of the N. :unsure: Again, this is what is throwing me:

When watching interviews with her, I don't actually see her 'see through' people the way I normally find that ENFJs do; she doesn't seem to be as naturally in touch with and playing to the responses of the interviewer as definite ENFJ Kate Winslet.

Edit: All right, behind the scenes Blackwater has been saying S until now (when he's finally watched the clips). I relent! :)

2nd edit: Or maybe not. :doh:

Blackwater

MBTI Type
ERTP
wow, strong Fe!

she's ENFJ.

the hurricane-interview is close to a dead-giveaway. "i feel really blessed to be on this side of it" --> N

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
But proteanmix, I've thought all along (in this thread, anyhow :D) that she's dominant Fe. I want to make sure she isn't an ESFJ. *stomps* :cry:

The recognition from you ENFJs is persuasive, to be sure, but I have to admit I am still not totally convinced of the N. :unsure: Again, this is what is throwing me:

I know, I know, but I wanted to make sure she wasn't an ENFP before trying to figure out if she's an ESFJ or ENFJ.

Like I said, sometimes people are quick to type an intelligent person that they identify with as an N. I can't tell if she's an S or N, I identify with many of her quotes, but if she's an ESFJ that could be because of the shared Fe function.

One actress that I think is ESFJ is Katherine Zeta-Jones. RW and KZJ both appear similar to me but there's something about KZJ that strikes me as S rather than N.

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
One actress that I think is ESFJ is Katherine Zeta-Jones. RW and KZJ both appear similar to me but there's something about KZJ that strikes me as S rather than N.

Thanks for the tip, I'll check her out. :)

girlnamedbless

MBTI Type
ESFJ
She screams ENFJ to me. She isn't bubbly enough to be an ESFJ. She values things mostly only NFs would value: intellect, indentity, self-worth, etc. She takes her job seriously and said herself that she doesn't "fuck around." Her demeanor is that of grace and wit.
She doesn't use as much body language as much as I would expect an S to use. She doesn't and nod her head and use her hands to show how enthusiastic she is about something.
I also feel that she always knows the right words to say, like the hurricane interview. I believe that this is a gift given to ENFJs. The ability to detect and use their N side to come up with the perfect response.
Also, as Lookin4theBestNU stated, she is reluctant to accept compliments. ESFJs STRIVE off what other people think of them. They need constant reassurance and reminders that they are liked, are helpful, and needed. Reese just has too much drive in herself to be considered like that. Let's face it-- ESFJs are not as independent. Reese is.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
And so it begins...

I started another thread about differences/commonalities between ENFJs and ENFPs. I am of the belief that ENFPs and ENFJs often get confused for each other, more so than ESFJs and ESFPs because both are NFs. I am also of the belief that ENFJ Jness doesn't look like typical Jness because I think Fe is more likely to be used to connect and not to enforce. I think that NeFi looks like Fe. ENFPs that are more Fi than Ne tend to be more centered than ENFPs that are more Ne. Likewise ENFJs that are more Ni than Fe tend to look more stereotypically ENFP than ENFJs who are more Fe than Ni.

What I think is happening with RW is if she is in fact an ENFP, she's a more Fi heavy ENFP, which to take the phrase from XNFJiminy gives her a more constant and steady presence that is more characteristic of an ENFJ.

I can agree with this. I know a lot of ENFP's, but the ones with the "constant and steady presence" tend to be older and more mature. I.e. they have developed their Fi to the point that their Ne is under control when they interact with people if they so choose. I also agree that ENFP and ENFJ can be a lot alike, and in RW's case it is not as easy to discern as it would be in other people. There are some ENF's where the J/P preference is easier to tell. Robin Williams is an ENFP with extreme P. Oprah is an ENFJ with extreme J. Other ENF's, like Reese, are not as easy to discern.

L4TBNU: I agree with your commentary.

Yes I appreciate the commentary as well. Although just like many other things about Reese, the comments could apply to either ENF type.

TLL, I don't consider J/P a "function" meaning someone "acts like" a P or J because they're neat or messy or late or timely or things like that. J/P is strictly an indicator of the dominant function.

I was simply mimicking terminology that you used earlier in this thread. ;) I'd actually prefer comparing Ne to Fe, since I believe that is specifically going to be what determines an ENFP from an ENFJ.

I don't know any ENFPs or ENFJs personally to ascribe certain behaviors to a type. All I can do is answer for myself and if another ENF wants to chime in then even better. I will say that I don't want this to turn into a competition between ENFs to day which is more what. I can see both of these types equally able to do these things. I don't know if it would be easier for one type to do it than another, but I don't think that it's strictly within the domain of an ENFP or ENFJ.

I have to disagree here. Every type has strengths and weaknesses. You can't really say all types can do all things equally well, because it's not true. I'd prefer an INTP to an ESFJ if I wanted to know about an abstract and theoretical idea like an obscure philosophy. If I wanted to organize a social event, then I'd go to the ESFJ instead. Each type has strengths and weaknesses, and that is one of the more clear indicators of how to determine a person's type.

For the record I do not know many ENFJ's personally, but I do know many ENFP's. (The only type I have a wider sample of from personal experience is INTP.)

Are ENFJs not perceptive? If you want to compare Oscar nominations, Kate Winslet (an ENFJ who is roughly the same age is RW) has been nominated four times. Her performances are very organic and she approaches acting similar to the way RW does:

Well I'm not saying the ENFJ's are virtually blind, they are in fact quite perceptive especially when it comes to people. But perception is not their primary function. Comparing ENFP to ENFJ, the ENFP is the more perceptive of the two. Ne is perceiving, and Fe is judging. It shouldn't be surprising that ENFP is more perceptive.

More importantly though, I am not saying that winning an Oscar makes a person a dominant perceiver. But the reason that Reese won this particular Oscar is important. She won an Oscar for a biographical role. If you compare her performance to that of Joaquin Pheonix (an INFP) doing Johnny Cash, you see that she does a better job. Actually I originally thought Joaquin Pheonix did the better job as I was watching the movie, but then I did research into what Johnny Cash was like, and I found out that he didn't really portray Cash's personality too closely. Reese was much closer in her portrayal of June Carter Cash.

I think Joaquin Pheonix is a great actor, but when it comes to biographical roles having a keen perception of the person you are trying to portray is what is most important. Joaquin's primary function is Fi, and that is why he had a harder time with his biographical role. Reese not only did a good job in her performance, she won an Oscar for imitating another person. That doesn't just require good perception. It requires the most exceptional perception. This is one of the bigger reasons I think she is a ENFP.

An ENFJ afraid to assert themselves? Have you seen my signature?? Have you ever experienced ENFJ Righteous Anger and Indignation accompanied by Se that'll probably pick up and throw something at you, tear the walls down, and then apologize profusely afterwards all the while saying it really wasn't their fault because they were trying to help you?! And then don't let me think someone is being mistreated! You should really get around some ENFJs in defense or revolutionary mode.

Well this point and the similar points below are what I consider to be small details (much like I consider the pet peeve with the coasters to be a small detail). I'm not saying this makes someone a clear P or J, rather it's a minor preference one way or the other.

In this case I'm not saying that J's have any trouble asserting themselves in general (they certainly don't). But when it comes to specifically asserting themselves against authority figures J's are more likely to do as told, and P's are more likely to resist. The distinction is probably more prevalent in say ESTP/ESTJ rather than ENFP/ENFJ, so I'm fine with not discussing this point further.

Well, I most definitely wouldn't be a hands off parent, so if ENFPs are more prone to being less involved with their children then I concede this one.

I don't know if that is true or not. Even if Ps are more likely to start their own business that doesn't mean that Js don't start their own business at all. And I'd think that an J business venture is more likely to suceed than a P business venture because a J is more driven and committed after the initial novelty wears off. That was hideously stereotypical so you are completley within your rights to ignore it. Also, why did she start her own company? Did she feel there was a dearth or a void that needed to be filled in Hollywood? Fe!! She saw a need and wanted to fulfill it. Not that Ne wouldn't do this, I'm not trying to an ENFP wouldn't I'm just trying to get at her motivations (which none of us really know but so help us, we're trying).

I don't know if I should respond to these in detail or not. As I've said these are preferences and do not indicate large divides. All things being equal you will find more P's starting businesses, but there are still quite a few J's represented.

Hey I'm a J and I'm not at all like Tracy Flick. Once again, I'm not using J/P as an individual function. Even if I was, there are gradients between J/P just like any other trait.

Again it's a small piece of evidence. But no one has big pieces, so I go with what I have.

Isn't Bono supposedly an ENFJ? Doesn't he like to swear in front of the UN and presidents, and prime minister. I'm all for cussing if it will emphasize a point and impress upon people the seriousness and passion with which I'm speaking. Plus it's fun! Fuckety fuck! Now would I swear on national TV? Hmmm, not likely. But just because RW feels comfortable cussing doesn't mean that ENFPs feel more comfortable doing it while ENFJs don't.

I think you just proved my point for me. You wouldn't swear in a national interview. I don't know if you were raised in DC or somewhere else, but Reese is raised in the South, so if she were EFJ, I'd see something like this as even less likely.

(Btw, I'd probably type Bono as ENFP lol. Although if he is ENFJ I'd add that Ireland is quite a different culture from Tennessee/Louisiana.)

I really don't think you can say that most Ps have better chemistry with other people. That's not at all true. If anything I think Fe would be better suited for responding in this regard.
This is not what I am saying. Chemistry with people in general is not the same with chemistry with other actors. Actors do a scene many times in many different ways. It's a huge advantage to be able to adapt quickly to all of these changes. You don't know what the other actor is going to do until they do it. That is why it is an advantage in acting to be a P.

Again this is a preference. J's can certainly do well in acting, but P's have the advantage. This is similar to how J's have an advantage in a highly structured environment like a corporation. P's can certainly learn to thrive in a corporate environment, but J's have an advantage.

How many ENFJs do you know? Can you really make a statement like that? You make ENFJs sound so brittle and rigid that they'll snap in half.

This is certainly not my intention. You are misinterpreting many of my statements and I am trying to clarify, but I am not sure how you arrived at this conclusion. :huh:

I really don't think ability to portray S and N characters makes someone an N, or can be used as evidence that the particular actor is an ENFP.

I heartily disagree. I'm out of time, and I'd like to go on into a huge explanation why this is true. Maybe I'll get into it later. The short version is "Acting style is a refection of how a person perceives the world. Since S's and N's have radically different ways of perceiving the world, the difference will be revealed in how an actor portrays their characters."

Fe is about connecting and disconnecting if necessary. I don't know if RW is trying to connect with the interviewer, maybe she tries to connect with the character she's portraying but I wouldn't waste my time trying to connect with the interviewer.

Fair enough. All things being equal though dominant judgers are more active than dominant perceivers. The dominant judging function compels a person toward more activity. A dominant perceiver is comparatively passive.

I type on vibes and I trust those vibes to be accurate. Nothing we're doing here is scientifically validated so I'm not going to stop. Also I do think dress is indicative of personality type. I hight doubt an ENFP would be as safe a dresser as an ENFJ. Don't you think an ISFJ would dress differently than an ISFP or ESFP or ESTJ?

Nothing wrong with following a vibe for yourself, but how can you be expected to convince someone else with a vibe. I cannot feel your vibes, so you'll need to come up with another method to convince me of your viewpoint. Conversely, how will you allow me to convince you of my viewpoint since you cannot feel my vibes?

Btw, if you can type a person based on dress then you have some details wrong. My wife, an INFJ, is one of the most outlandish dressers that you'll ever meet. She certainly does not fit your earlier hypothesis about INFJ's.

In summary I still think she is an ENFP, and I didn't get any details describing her as specifically ENFJ. All I am hearing is people's impression of interviews, which can be somewhat revealing but is only one small part of typing a person. Interviews do not necessarily show a person in their most natural transparent form, especially ENF's who are known for wearing masks and letting few people know them with any depth. I've said this before and I'll repeat it. I don't participate in many of these typing threads because I don't believe that you can type a person from simply a few minutes of interview.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
Well I don't think we're going to convince each other so I'll let it rest.

I do have something to say about types having different abilities. I agree with you about that. Certain types do excel at things. What I will say in this instance is we're comparing ExFx types specifically ENFs. These two types have an incredible amount of overlap, so I can see where finer distinctions are harder to catch. I also think it's weird that most ENFJ actors/musicians that I've suggested, you think they're ENFPs. What can I say? Maybe it is difficult to tell these two types apart? ENFJs obviously don't lack a perceiving function. Your perceiving function is how you take in information. I don't think you can take in info through a judging function, so from my understanding of MBTI having a dominant perceiving function doesn't mean a person is more able to receive information. Just because ENFJs don't wear their skin inside out doesn't mean they don't have nerves.

As far as typing celebs, I also agree it's not that I think we do from 5 minute clips or a few quotes. Just something fun to do and I get to exercise my knowledge of MBTI. :)

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
It's Monday morning coffee posting time! :party2: Disjunct Paragraph Warning.

---

FYI, TLL, my rationalization wheels are now spinning in your favor since I also need the ENFP slot filled. ;)

I can agree with this. I know a lot of ENFP's, but the ones with the "constant and steady presence" tend to be older and more mature. I.e. they have developed their Fi to the point that their Ne is under control when they interact with people if they so choose.

What do the people who have called ENFJ on RW say to this? Could we be mistaking a Southern upbringing focusing on poise and appropriateness along with a well-developed Fi disciplining the Ne - for Fe?

---

I agree (in this thread, anyway ;)) that the coasters thing does not exclude ENFP. My SO's major pet peeve is smoking. Smoke in his presence and he becomes a study in cognitive dissonance: As a smoker you are part of a group of people that he hates with a passion - but he still likes you, of course. :rolleyes:

---

Your perceiving function is how you take in information. I don't think you can take in info through a judging function, so from my understanding of MBTI having a dominant perceiving function doesn't mean a person is more able to receive information.

But someone whose dominant function is perceiving will do more of it, everything else being equal, than a person whose dominant function is judging, right? :unsure:

Dominant perceiving function: Takes in as much information as possible, stopping only when judgment becomes necessary.
Dominant judging function: Takes in as much information as necessary in order to start judging.

Of course, necessity is in the eye of the beholder. ;) My own Te is pretty quick on the draw despite being formally subordinate to my perception. ... Hmm, maybe my Ni needs to reassert itself. In threads like these it's obvious even to me how my Te is putting on airs. :doh:

---

I don't believe that you can type a person from simply a few minutes of interview.

Obviously I do. :D ... Well, based on everything YouTube's got plus written interviews plus movie roles and only when the actor in question is a rather clear-cut version of their type... Let's just say I'm still missing most of the 32 slots. :dry:

The Grey Badger

MBTI Type
INTP
The only data I have on Reese Witherspoon is the roles she consistently plays, and those are top-heavy with ESFPs.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Well, I don't like reading long posts with lots of quotes in it, so I skipped most of the replies and based my answer only on the OP. I think that she is definately not an ENFP. She's not "excited" enough and doesn't have those, "please talk to me," eyes. I don't know any ENFJs in person so I can't accurately say that she is one, but it does seem to fit rather well. She seems perfectly confident talking about her own abilities and faults, too, which I wouldn't expect from an ENFP.

Lookin4theBestNU

MBTI Type
ENFj
Enneagram
2w3
I don't know if you can type people with great accuracy based on small amounts of information. However, I do think you can make an educated guess.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
witherspoon said:
.. I can intuit people's behavior and their feelings. That's what I do for a living.
Okay, so it's a quintessential ENFJ quote, but does it disqualify her as an ESFJ?

I think I just need to point out that we need to be careful when people use MBTI-related terminology when not in an MBTI-related discussion.

IOW, I would be a remiss INTP if I did not point out that her understanding of "intuit" might not mean "intuit" in the sense we would all like to take it.

(The ESFJ I knew well here at work would call herself both "analytical" and "intuitive"... but she was clearly an ESFJ, not a T *or* an N. She was probably as textbook ESFJ as you could imagine... but I could understand the context for her self-descriptors.)

I don't know much about Reese. I simply know that S/N gives off vibes for me. I sense something ethereal about N's that S's do not put off because they are focused on the tangible world. And I never got any N vibes off Reese (or Natalie Portman, as another example, or Scarlett Johansen), in the moments I have happened to see her on TV or in a movie.

(As counter examples, I get distinct vibes from Kate Winslet and Cate Blanchett and Naomi Watts and Nicole Kidman for an N sense.)