• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Good Will Hunting

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Matt Damon's character Will: INTP or INTJ?
Robin William's character (the therapist): INFP
The professor: ENTJ

What do you think?

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
I actually kind of think ISTP for Will, INFP or INFJ for the therapist, anndd...I don't remember anyone else. I haven't seen it in a while.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Woo, Robin Williams. I think the only reason I remember his name is because Harry Nilsson did part of the Popeye soundtrack.

Hot potato, though.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I always had Damon and Robin Williams as ENFPs.

Don't think the professor is ENTJ, they seem to have better assessment of situations and people than that.

ISTP might be a good fit for Will though. I just always saw NF in there. Right from the position he takes in social groups, to what he sees as important, which never seems to be doing technical things, or his intelligence. The fact he refuses to work for companies because he has ethical issues with what they do. ENTP is another option, though the unimposing relaxed to blitz style is very ENFP. I think Puppy called it "blaze and amaze". And the accessorising and trying everything on in the store. And the running away at the end for love (an ENTP has already told me how illogical this sort of move is). Even his way of first getting attention by solving the impossible for amusement, and walking off to leave them puzzled rather than trying to get recognition, has a lot of ENFP to it.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
Hm, he could be a really unhealthy ENFP. I mean it's clear that his psychology isn't totally normal, so it's pretty hard to type him. He just seems so sullen and withdrawn, although I see what you mean about the strong adherence to his values and perceptions, as well as the passive attention seeking.

How about Skyler or whatever her name was? She seemed like an extrovert, but I had a hard time beyond that.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Hm, he could be a really unhealthy ENFP. I mean it's clear that his psychology isn't totally normal, so it's pretty hard to type him. He just seems so sullen and withdrawn, although I see what you mean about the strong adherence to his values and perceptions, as well as the passive attention seeking.

How about Skyler or whatever her name was? She seemed like an extrovert, but I had a hard time beyond that.

Not sure about Skyler. Maybe ENFJ? She does good relationship managing, and seems to keep pretty work focused when Will is joking around.

On Will, I think he was majorly mixed up for most of the film. Just at the end he was okay. He had no clues where he was going, what he was doing, he had emotional walls up all over the place. At the end he still had no clues where he was going, but he found himself more.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
Yeah, I was kind of thinking a very mature, laid-back ENFJ for Skyler :yes: although she could be a very balanced T.

SuperFob

MBTI Type
INFJ
I was thinking some kind of F for Will, too. Sure, he's rebellious, insensitive, aggressive at times, and a smartass, as well (all things that people seem to associate with T). But that whole rant about why he didn't want to work in that company for ethical reasons seemed completely F to me. I just don't see a T having that kind of moral focus with logic taking a backseat to it.

So, yes, NF for Will. Not to mention the fact that his approach to math seemed more NF-like to me.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I always had Damon and Robin Williams as ENFPs.

Don't think the professor is ENTJ, they seem to have better assessment of situations and people than that.

ISTP might be a good fit for Will though. I just always saw NF in there. Right from the position he takes in social groups, to what he sees as important, which never seems to be doing technical things, or his intelligence. The fact he refuses to work for companies because he has ethical issues with what they do. ENTP is another option, though the unimposing relaxed to blitz style is very ENFP. I think Puppy called it "blaze and amaze". And the accessorising and trying everything on in the store. And the running away at the end for love (an ENTP has already told me how illogical this sort of move is). Even his way of first getting attention by solving the impossible for amusement, and walking off to leave them puzzled rather than trying to get recognition, has a lot of ENFP to it.

Hm, I saw them both as introverts. Damon's character essentially gave himself a college education, which would require a lot of solitude in reading. Outside of his loyal buddies he didn't seem to seek out interaction. I read his passive attention seeking as an introvert move.

He doesn't come off as particularly feeling to me either. He didn't see the value in a romantic relationship until his therapist made some points with him. I saw it as like an NT getting schooled by an NF in human relationships :tongue:

Williams' character seems Fi-dom over Ne-dom to me. He is just soooo value based and run by his feelings.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I agree with Noigmn on both of them being ENFPs.

Chloe

shrink is ENFP, Will is INTP. the ending is confusing with Will going away because of girl, but hey, ... INTPs fall in love also, right ?!

and this is third thread about this movie.
first, second.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
shrink is ENFP, Will is INTP. the ending is confusing with Will going away because of girl, but hey, ... INTPs fall in love also, right ?!

and this is third thread about this movie.
first, second.

I did a search, it didn't come up :rolli:

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Will definitely seems INTP to me. Ti and Ne working in action.

ygolo

My termites win
I think Will is a prototype INTP...except for the final part where he "goes to see about a girl."

• Rather quiet in general.
  • Spends his free time alone with his books.
  • Just sees "how things work" (very Ti).
  • Unscheduled and go with the flow--rather aimless (common amongst Ps)
  • Almost constant facial expression, very I

I could see him as an ISTP as well, but a preference for mathematics over more practical pursuits would tend to indicate N. Algebraic graph theory is especially abstract, not that ability need follow interest. But nobody just knows this stuff, it needs some interest to be learned. FWIW, I think Matt Damon is an ISTP.

I think Sean (the therapist) is an ENFP or INFP.
  • Effusive (F)
  • Emotional (F)
  • Empathetic (F)
  • And also seems more go with the flow (P)
  • Abstract/metaphorical in communication (N or SP)
  • Idealistic (NF)

While Lambeau (the prof.), I see as an INTJ or ENTJ.
  • Very Driven (J ish)
  • More Directive than Informative (ST,NJ)
  • An abstract/head-in-the-clouds outlook (didn't even know who the unibomber was) (N)
  • Rather cold and calculating (T)

EDIT: I am trying to glean what the problem was that took Lambeu two years to do...I'll post the problem in the Math thread once I can read it.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Eh, this movie is so corny. But here's my take.

Will talks too much, has a major axe to grind, likes to read and memorize (verbatim) esoteric information on various subjects, is rebellious, likes to goof off, revels in opportunities to show people up, and is a mathematical genius. He seems ENTP to me.

redacted

I agree with ygolo. Will - INTP (possibly ISTP), RW's character - INFP, and professor dude - ENTJ

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Eh, this movie is so corny. But here's my take.

Will talks too much, has a major axe to grind, likes to read and memorize (verbatim) esoteric information on various subjects, is rebellious, likes to goof off, revels in opportunities to show people up, and is a mathematical genius. He seems ENTP to me.

It's corny, but what I like (as I mentioned) is I am sure it's an NT being schooled by an NF :devil:

I think his type is pretty distinct INTP. Quite troubled, but that is what I see, breaking down each dichotomy.

I: you don't lock yourself in your apartment for hours at a time, on a daily basis, if you're an extravert.
N: people (in this thread, or another that is linked to) like to attribute his interview spiel to F, but I don't think that at all. That type of misanthropic cynicism is something I can relate to quite easily, and I am certainly not an F. An S in this position would say "where do I sign up?" instead of shitting on their feet like he did.
T: when did he ever show empathy for others, or a propensity for emotion superseding reasoning?
P: because an INTJ wouldn't read book after book after book, unless they were insane enough to believe they would regularly encounter a situation like the one with the blonde douchebag at the Harvard bar where he first met Skylar, instead of having no outlet for it 99.9% of the time. Obviously he has a propensity for simply learning things/theories, and doesn't have much desire at all to utilize them.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I've seen this flick more than 10 times.. and I'd go with the following

Will: INTP
Skylar: ENFJ
Sean: INFP.. I just don't see Ne dom with him, could even be INFJ "My wife is dead" finality when ever asked about re-marrying...
Chuck (Ben Afflek): ESTP
Morgan: ESFP
Billy: IJ
Lambeau: ENTJ
Tom (Lambeau's asst.) INFJ