• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Johnny Depp

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
I also vote for an ISFP.

I've never really got an INFP vibe from his interviews, and it also seems to me that visual representation of a character is vital for him... It's as if he needed to know the characters from the outside before he gets to know them from the inside. It seems to me that xNFP actors identify with their characters more thoroughly. As my boyfriend pointed out, although Johnny is a great actor he can never quite forget he's watching Johnny Depp when he watches his movies... I admit I feel the same, although I'd say the better the costume, the better the character.

Afkan

Hmmm.... so many types have been suggested, maybe he's not any type, just a good actor. Do any types fit that description? Nah, its prolly too general, huh?

KDude

I think he's a 4 and introvert F if anything. That might limit it down to INFJ, INFP, or ISFP. INFJ doesn't seem as likely (correct me if I'm wrong), so personally, I'm confused whether he's ISFP or INFP. I think they're a lot alike (hence the X in my own type), and I'm probably not the right person to say anything there atm.

Expanding

MBTI Type
Infj
Enneagram
He is definetely an infp. He comes across as an introvert (i), sensitive and tuned in (n), warm hearted (f) , and flexible and is able to improvise (p)

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
An INFP if ever there was one.

Ratsimoan

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
4w5
I think he's a 4 and introvert F if anything. That might limit it down to INFJ, INFP, or ISFP. INFJ doesn't seem as likely (correct me if I'm wrong), so personally, I'm confused whether he's ISFP or INFP. I think they're a lot alike (hence the X in my own type), and I'm probably not the right person to say anything there atm.

Yeah Johnny is a 4w5 sx/sp according to sites. And I can totally agree.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
He is definetely an infp. He comes across as an introvert (i), sensitive and tuned in (n), warm hearted (f) , and flexible and is able to improvise (p)

Um, what does being "sensitive and tuned in" have to do with any N function? It doesn't.

ISFP.

SecondBest

Permabanned
MBTI Type
eNxp
Enneagram
5/7
Johnny Depp's definitely an INFP. Primary Fi and Aux Ne. I feel like if you're going to read someone's personality type, you have to look at their functions, and not the letters.

Evidence of Primary Fi:

"I'm shy, paranoid, whatever word you want to use. I hate fame. I've done everything I can to avoid it." - IMDb - certainly suggests introversion and a self-protective mechanism that shields his sensitivity from the world.

" If someone were to harm my family or a friend or somebody I love - I would eat them. I might end up in jail for 500 years - but I would eat them" - IMDb - see above

Evidence of Aux Ne:
- Incredible actor - chameleon, shape shifting. Deep and thorough understanding of his characters that certainly suggests Ne.
- He definitely idealizes others in certain respects. I could refer back to his family, but he talks about certain actors he admires with a kind of passionate purity that's indicative of this Aux Ne.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Evidence of Aux Ne:
- Incredible actor - chameleon, shape shifting. Deep and thorough understanding of his characters that certainly suggests Ne.
- He definitely idealizes others in certain respects. I could refer back to his family, but he talks about certain actors he admires with a kind of passionate purity that's indicative of this Aux Ne.

Neither of these things indicates aux Ne. Nope.

Are you saying that nobody but an Ne user would make an incredible actor? And that Ne users are the only ones with role models?

SecondBest

Permabanned
MBTI Type
eNxp
Enneagram
5/7
Neither of these things indicates aux Ne. Nope.

Are you saying that nobody but an Ne user would make an incredible actor? And that Ne users are the only ones with role models?

Fair enough.

No, not saying that only Ne's make incredible actors. It's just the way in which the character is approached in his films suggests to me a person who thinks of the world outside himself in terms of ideas and abstract concepts. That's an Ne.

Also Nes aren't the only one with role models. I think you're oversimplifying what I'm trying to say. There's a purity and unconditional quality to the way in which he looks up to his role models and he discusses the attributes that make them great to him in a way that's specific. Granted, I'm not giving much hard concrete evidence, but that's a tall order when we're talking about reading personality types.

Last edited:

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Fair enough.

No, not saying that only Ne's make incredible actors. It's just the way in which the character is approached in his films suggests to me a person who thinks of the world outside himself in terms of ideas and abstract concepts. That's an Ne.

Also Nes aren't the only one with role models. I think you're oversimplifying what I'm trying to say. There's a purity and unconditional quality to the way in which he looks up to his role models and he discusses the attributes that make them great to him in a way that's specific. Granted, I'm not giving much hard concrete evidence, but that's a tall order when we're talking about reading personality types.

Neither of the things you're talking about has any clear relationship to Ne.

SecondBest

Permabanned
MBTI Type
eNxp
Enneagram
5/7
Neither of the things you're talking about has any clear relationship to Ne.

Well, the way I understand the Ne function is that the individual relates him/herself to the outside world in an intuitive way. I understand intuitive to mean anything other than sensory - ideas, concepts, patterns. I still believe that this is the way Johnny Depp relates to the world, though his primary mode of function is being in tune with his own feelings and sensitivities.

I'd really love to hear your point of view if you could explain in more detail why you think I'm wrong. Can you bring up evidence that suggests the contrary? or is there something about my understanding of the Ne function that you think is fallacious?

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Johnny Depp's definitely an INFP. Primary Fi and Aux Ne. I feel like if you're going to read someone's personality type, you have to look at their functions, and not the letters.

Evidence of Primary Fi:

"I'm shy, paranoid, whatever word you want to use. I hate fame. I've done everything I can to avoid it." - IMDb - certainly suggests introversion and a self-protective mechanism that shields his sensitivity from the world.

" If someone were to harm my family or a friend or somebody I love - I would eat them. I might end up in jail for 500 years - but I would eat them" - IMDb - see above

Evidence of Aux Ne:

I definitely agree with the primary Fi.
I'm not sure about whether he's an INFP or an ISFP.
I'm leaning towards ISFP- not that ISFP's can't be introspective but the typical ISFP doesn't rely on introspection as much as the typical INFP- on the other hand, if there's one word you can't use to describe Johnny Depp- it's typical.

Ghostwheel

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Five
I just watched the Depp interview on Inside the Actor's Studio. Have to side with those assigning INFP.

The traits are all quite clear. The shyness, sensitivity, soft-spokeness, imagination....

I don't see how anyone watching that interview can have any doubt.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INFP 4w5 Sp/Sx

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i think sx too his energy buzzes.

KDude

I'm beginning to think NFJ. But that's only because my views on MBTI are possibly warped, where all stuffy saintly types are the actual NFPs, not NFJs.. and all SP wannabes who make bands with Gibby Haynes.. or simply go to butthole surfer concerts are NFJs.

It's all very scientific.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm beginning to think NFJ. But that's only because my views on MBTI are possibly warped, where all stuffy saintly types are the actual NFPs, not NFJs.. and all SP wannabes who make bands with Gibby Haynes.. or simply go to butthole surfer concerts are NFJs.

It's all very scientific.

:laugh: yeah, and he has that infj male hair. srsly.