• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

2 Days in Paris

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's clear to me that Julie Delpy's character, Marion, is very ENFP, as she played in Before Sunrise/Sunset also.

However, I can't quite pin Jack, Adam Goldberg's character. I want to say INTJ for most of the movie, with his sarcastic humor, general ability to shrug things off, viewing all the emotional & random French people as preposterous, and tendency to seek solitude. However, his sudden emotional burst at the end and occupation as an interior designer says NF male. He doesn't seem that sensitive overall though, and I don't really see Fe or Ne.

Shaving her initial into his chest hair seems like some kind of weird Ni symbolism, and maybe his emotion at the end is the tertiary Fi bubbling up.The entire dynamic of their relationship seems ENFP-INTJ.

What do you think?

hokie912

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I keep meaning to see this. As an aside, I wasn't sure whether Delpy's character in Before Sunrise/Sunset was I or ENFP. I was leaning towards INFP because her Fi basically punches you in the face, and thinking that she seemed extraverted because we only see her interact with Jesse. I can see ENFP, though.

Hope this post doesn't derail the thread. I really have been wanting to see 2 Days in Paris for ages.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^ This movie is something like: what if the characters in Before Sunrise had ended up dating and then 2 years into the relationship, things aren't all rosy and ideal anymore (comedy ensues!), and if the Ethan Hawke character was a lovably sarcastic INTJ instead of a smooth-talking ENFJ. That's not the real premise, but it just feels that way.

The general consensus that I've read on Delpy's character in Before Sunrise/Sunset is that she's ENFP, but I could see her INFP and I questioned it myself. I agree that her Fi is very strong & apparent, and an INFP can be quite talkative and outgoing with the right person (particularly an ENFJ - I know that I just can't be shy around those guys :p). She seems very guarded at first also, on the train.

In 2 Days in Paris, she is like the standard ENFP though, to the point of being comical. Her Ne is all over the place. :D

hokie912

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I agree that her Fi is very strong & apparent, and an INFP can be quite talkative and outgoing with the right person (particularly an ENFJ - I know that I just can't be shy around those guys :p). She seems very guarded at first also, on the train.
Yes, definitely agree with these points. At least there's no question that Ethan Hawke's character is ENFJ. :)

I'll let you know what I think when I finally get to see the movie. It seems like something I'll like.

hokie912

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I finally had the chance to see this. I found Marion rather insufferable. I don't mind neurotic heroines, but I do mind unstable, inconsiderate liars. I think there's only so far you can take "free spirit," and this character was profoundly self-involved and even more profoundly insecure. And not even in a sympathetic way. I liked Celine in Before Sunrise and, to a slightly lesser extent, Before Sunset, but I didn't find Marion to be a particularly attractive character. ENFP, but not a healthy specimen.

Jack, on the other hand, I found completely attractive and relatable. For me, the movie was more about how this guy dealt with dating such a crazy chick. I can see why he's attracted to Marion's free spirit vibe, and that he's probably a little bit repressed, but I found myself thinking, "This character might be significantly better off with someone else." INTJ seems about right, but that could be the power of suggestion since I watched the movie with that typing in mind.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^ Yes, I read she played the character to make it hard for the audience to sympathize. She's supposed to be largely unlikeable, although I got the feeling that her character was that way because of stress after a disappointing vacation and from merging her old life in Paris to her new one in NYC by introducing Jack to her family/friends. Jack has this "what happened to my gf?" attitude the whole time, implying she is probably more stable at home in NYC.