• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

500 Days of Summer

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Has anyone seen this yet? Here are my preliminary typings.

Tom: INTP
Summer: INTJ?

Okay, none of the other characters have enough face time to be able to type. What are your thoughts?

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Tom: INFJ who looks INTP when his F outlook begins to fail him

Summer: ENTP... due to her resemblance to irl female ENTPs i have known (and the contrast with the irl INTJ females i have known).

at times the movie makes it look like tom is the Ne and she is the Ni.... but beyond those "moments" their general characters seem the reverse from that.

i would love to hear anyone elses input though...

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I've no idea what you're talking about. I live in the UK, where Summer is about 10 days, spread over a 4 month period. The rest is rain.

Enlighten me? Is this a movie?

A Schnitzel

WTF is this dude saying?
MBTI Type
INTP
I haven't seen the movie, but someone said Zooey Deschanel (actor who plays Summer) was INTP and I'm inclined to agree.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
yes... a REALLY good movie you all should go see

matilda

Haven't watched the movie, but trailer-wise:
Tom: IXFJ
Summer: INTP

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
any particular reason why I should part with $10 of my hard-earned to see this?

ring the bell

I just saw this movie.. I absolutely loved it. She's like the poster child of ME.. it's uncanny. But his suffering over her is very similar to what I've experienced in the past, though, for someone who I felt was "the one". I really did feel for him deeply. I wish I'd seen this movie back then. it kind of put it all into perspective in two hours, which in real life took me about 6 monthes. Anyway, as to type:

I definitely agree that Summer is INTP. I don't see any way at all that she could be INTJ.

As to Tom, I can definitely see the NF in him. Past that, i can't tell. I almost felt like he was an ENFP, but purely out of comparison to some I've known. He was utterly fascinated by her and wanted to delve into her soul. I'm just not sure though.

Anyway, great movie.. loved it.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I definitely agree that Summer is INTP. I don't see any way at all that she could be INTJ.

It was mostly the "anal girl" comment. The only thing I was sure of was that she was a T.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
It was mostly the "anal girl" comment. The only thing I was sure of was that she was a T.

:rofl1:
"Anal girl"=INTJ
Can't escape the double meaning of that phrase.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I would love to have anal with an INTJ girl.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Tom= INFJ
Summer=INTP

I thought it was pretty good. Kinda thrown for a loop though when she sold out and pulls that 180.

ring the bell

Tom= INFJ
Summer=INTP

I thought it was pretty good. Kinda thrown for a loop though when she sold out and pulls that 180.

It was pretty surprising when she turned around and got married. I get it though. I'm kind of a believer that things happen the way they are gonna happen. You don't really have control over who you are going to fall for or not fall for. If it's there, it's there. If it's not, it's not. you get the picture...

I guess I relate to her a lot because until I knew what love was, I didn't really buy into the whole concept. Then I found someone that I fell head over heals for. Of course, it didn't turn out well because he wasn't really "the one", but good god at least now I'm open to finding out what I'm missing out on.

I just think they really did a good job with Summer of portraying some of my tendencies. That could probably take up a whole other thread on it's own... in fact, I know there are such threads out there...

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I just think they really did a good job with Summer of portraying some of my tendencies. That could probably take up a whole other thread on it's own... in fact, I know there are such threads out there...

Yeah, I could relate to her a lot. Particularly as far as the disbelief in the concept of love, the emotional distance, and the private nature. She's portrayed as more social than I am, though.

ring the bell

Yeah, I could relate to her a lot. Particularly as far as the disbelief in the concept of love, the emotional distance, and the private nature. She's portrayed as more social than I am, though.

Honestly, they just don't have enough INTP ladies in the movies. She's probably the only one I've really related to on such a level, so I'm pretty excited about it at the moment. She seems to be pretty confident in herself and comfortable in her skin. I did the same thing as her too, moving across country "because I was bored".

Erudur

MBTI Type
INTJ
Are female INTPs as socially graceful and do they possess the stylistic acuity of the Summer character? I think I am leaning INFP with second born personality (Birth Order Plus - Intro to Birth Order).

And, like others here, I peg Tom as INFJ.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Are female INTPs as socially graceful and do they possess the stylistic acuity of the Summer character? I think I am leaning INFP with second born personality (Birth Order Plus - Intro to Birth Order).

And, like others here, I peg Tom as INFJ.

Like I mentioned, I could not relate to her social grace, but that's just me. There are plenty of INTPs who have had to adapt more fully to the social world...she could be one of them. If you notice, however, her private life was very private, and she apparently did not divulge much personal information to anybody else but Tom (per the exact words of the narration), and that's only because he gained her trust. And if by "stylistic acuity" you mean her choice of clothing and decoration, I can't imagine why an INTP would not have good taste if that was something that was important to them.

Of course, you could say that the fact that it is important to her is a sign that she is not INTP, but I don't think that is supportable by type theory. And if you would be able to generalize that sort of thing to type stereotypes, it would probably point to her being an SFP if anything, since INFPs are also known as "head in the clouds," "little attention to concrete details like clothes" sorts of people, same as INTPs.

In any case, it's too minor and too specific a detail. It comes close to saying something like, "hmmm, perhaps she is not INTP because she enjoys kool-aid." It's better to type her based on overall behavioral patterns, and not on extraneous details. And in general she seemed to be detached, unemotional (he called her a robot in the film), and unromantic. All things that INFPs, at their core, are not (and by "at their core" I mean NOT IN PUBLIC. We all know that INFPs can "come off as" cold in their public demeanor, but with her we saw that she was pretty emotionally detached even in personal situations.)

I won't even address the birth order thing because I think it's BS. And even if it weren't, we don't know her birth order anyway so we couldn't even begin to apply it in a way that would be useful to this conversation.

My 2 cents.