• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

500 Days of Summer

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I saw this movie a long time ago. Kinda liked the style of it even though I really disliked both characters (well mostly Summer...she was really obnoxious). Not the greatest movie, though it was...refreshing I guess, to see a more realistic relationship than usual.

eNTP might fit the best for Summer though I could see intp/infp/istp. The guy seems infj, could be infp/isfp/isfj.

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
tom=isfj (screams isfj, and that character would never ever be in love with the smiths. he's not e4, e5, e9-- he's e2)

:rolli: Exactly. I mean, what in their music could possibly resonate with a character like that?

summer=intp? (istp wouldn't be out of the question characterwise but zooey seems very Ne to me)

Seems right to me.

what's zooey's enneagram? i think e5 makes more sense for her (over e3 or e7), which is why i'm more likely to say intp than entp. but she does seem so flighty for a Ti dom. yet she doesn't seem like she has nearly the same outgoing energy as any entp i've ever met, which is much more energizing. i could maybe see 5w4 so/sx? kind of appearing lighter on the surface than she actually is (often an so/sx quality)? if she's entp what enneagram would make sense for her?

Looks like you don't need me. I agree. INTP 5w4 so/sx

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
tom=isfj (screams isfj, and that character would never ever be in love with the smiths. he's not e4, e5, e9-- he's e2)
summer=intp? (istp wouldn't be out of the question characterwise but zooey seems very Ne to me)

i'm still amazed how people don't easily see Fe in action. all that outward enthusiasm and that awful stomach punch sinking feeling face. uggh, it hurts just thinking about it.

Aye, he clearly was ISFJ. I wonder why people thinks he was N...

As for Summer, I think she was INFP.

Oh, and I was liking how the movie turned out to be. I'd call it a realistic romantic movie. I'd recommend this one to everyone who has had their filled with fluffy thoughts of eternal love and Prince Handsome. :D

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
I dont even know what an ISFJ looks like, but I guess he was one in this movie. I always typed him as an ENFP. Weird.

SecondBest

Permabanned
MBTI Type
eNxp
Enneagram
5/7
I really enjoyed the movie. Great writing, characters, and presentation. I'm a huge fan of using revelation or "reverse dramatic irony" as the basis for driving the conflict. Movies like Memento and the Hangover adopt this plot structure to great effect. Very well done.

"You were right... it just wasn't me you were right about." <-- my favorite line from the movie
Dance sequence with Tom was great, too. Mostly because I looooove Hall and Oates.

I could relate to Tom's character definitely, the idealizing and the heartbreak and the getting strung around bit. I could also relate to Summer, in having to deal with an idealist you're not interested in, but one part I couldn't relate to was her ability to even engage in a casual relationship. Just not who I am.

Put me down for INFP for Tom and xNTP for Summer.

Sesshoumaru

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I think Summer is a literal version of an INTJ (uses Ni to see a potential "someone to dispose of", she's the most manipulative and coldest (these 2 together) movie character I've ever seen! Once she got control over Tom, she was extremely cold and impersonal, and went more and more as time went by, until she "realized" he wasn't the one, she just kind of used him to play with his emotions, which makes perfect sense for him to be an ISFP, because his primary is Fi, believing there's a right someone, when every thinking person knows there isn't, in fact, he learns it the hard way, his prize for being an Fi user...

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

i'm still amazed how people don't easily see Fe in action. all that outward enthusiasm and that awful stomach punch sinking feeling face. uggh, it hurts just thinking about it.

The thing is, I think he is supposed to be IxFP. That's why he has the music taste & other interests he has. It's all stereotypical INFP stuff. ISFP is ruled out because Se seems totally absent.

The problem is the characters are actually pretty one-dimensional. The shy, sensitive, idealistic, feeling man is mistakenly written too ISFJ, with a shabby INFP veneer thrown on, so that it doesn't add up. I see the confusion in typing extend IRL - INFP profiles confused with ISFJ behavior. He's certainly too accommodating and not aloof enough to be an INFP. On the other hand, his idealism and imagination run rampant, and he does seem to display that need for authenticity and individuality that colors the INFP's demeanor.

Not to say that the writers had anything about MBTI in mind, but you see types pretty clearly in movies/TV/books for a reason - we all recognize them on some level as truths about people's personalities. I feel sure they were aiming for an IxFP and just missed the mark (or the actor did). The character ends up feeling underdeveloped.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I hated this movie. Didn't like the ending.

Sesshoumaru

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Well, Tom=ISFP, Se isn't that developed, but the Ne is completely absent here, he never considered the possibility of being manipulated by Summer (INTJ), an Ne could have had seen that, and taken measures against it, even when lost in an Fi that is dominant...

SecondBest

Permabanned
MBTI Type
eNxp
Enneagram
5/7
Yeah I could see why some people didn't like the ending. It's a bit tacky I guess, but I wish they used ANYONE ELSE for the role of Autumn. ANYONE ELSE. God, a house plant with a decorative wreath could act better than her. ECK!

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
She was cute. Who cares. :devil:

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah I could see why some people didn't like the ending. It's a bit tacky I guess, but I wish they used ANYONE ELSE for the role of Autumn. ANYONE ELSE. God, a house plant with a decorative wreath could act better than her. ECK!

I think I mentioned earlier in the thread why I didn't like the ending.......had nothing to do with the actress. But yeah, no one seems to like the ending...

SecondBest

Permabanned
MBTI Type
eNxp
Enneagram
5/7
I think I mentioned earlier in the thread why I didn't like the ending.......had nothing to do with the actress. But yeah, no one seems to like the ending...

Sorry, I must've missed it the first time I read through the thread.

I agree with you - that would've made the movie better for him to just get the job. Having the love cycle repeat felt a little too contrived and unrealistic. I'm just exaggerating my disgust for the actress for comic effect, but I still think she was bad enough to be distracting.

Sesshoumaru

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Well, don't infer more than what the ending shows you! It doesn't necessarily mean the cycle repeats itself, it could also mean he found a new love, or the possible woman for him to be always with... What I find as a true meaning is a new beginning, nobody is really sure if the cycle repeats itself... I'm just saying that you should consider the other possibilities due to lack of information...

SecondBest

Permabanned
MBTI Type
eNxp
Enneagram
5/7
Well, don't infer more than what the ending shows you! It doesn't necessarily mean the cycle repeats itself, it could also mean he found a new love, or the possible woman for him to be always with... What I find as a true meaning is a new beginning, nobody is really sure if the cycle repeats itself... I'm just saying that you should consider the other possibilities due to lack of information...

Oops. Sorry. Bad choice of words on my part. I didn't mean the cycle repeats itself but rather I think it's a bit disruptive to introduce another potential plotline at the end of a movie - but that doesn't stop Hollywood from doing it all the time. It just makes the entire movie less cohesive and unified than if they had just stayed faithful with the Tom and Summer relationship. It would have been nice at the end to see that Tom has moved on with his life with a new found understanding of himself and his relationships, and has decided to focus his energies on a different aspect of his life - namely, career. But instead, there's this new girl that's introduced in the end and it's like, "Oh, how cute. She used to date summer, now she's dating autumn."

Eh, would you like some wine to go with that cheese?

It's kind of like building a Rolls Royce to perfection. I mean the paint has a great finish, all the engine parts are clean and new, the interior is spotless and dustfree - every detail comes together to form one beautifully cohesive automobile.

But then someone decides to put a bumper sticker on the back that says "I <3 pussy."

Kind of ruins the car, right?

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

To me, it was the idea that finding another romantic interest was going to make it all better, as opposed to him becoming whole as a single person. I'd prefer to see him heal on his own, which he sort of did, but getting the job and ending it there would have emphasized that & provided a better ending, IMO. He would find his own happiness in reaching a personal goal, instead of being dependent on some idealized relationship.

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
Oops. Sorry. Bad choice of words on my part. I didn't mean the cycle repeats itself but rather I think it's a bit disruptive to introduce another potential plotline at the end of a movie - but that doesn't stop Hollywood from doing it all the time. It just makes the entire movie less cohesive and unified than if they had just stayed faithful with the Tom and Summer relationship. It would have been nice at the end to see that Tom has moved on with his life with a new found understanding of himself and his relationships, and has decided to focus his energies on a different aspect of his life - namely, career. But instead, there's this new girl that's introduced in the end and it's like, "Oh, how cute. She used to date summer, now she's dating autumn."

Eh, would you like some wine to go with that cheese?

It's kind of like building a Rolls Royce to perfection. I mean the paint has a great finish, all the engine parts are clean and new, the interior is spotless and dustfree - every detail comes together to form one beautifully cohesive automobile.

But then someone decides to put a bumper sticker on the back that says "I <3 pussy."

Kind of ruins the car, right?

First, I don't believe Hollywood was behind this production. It was an independent film, but either way, I believe the artistic point can be extrapolated for humor. If he would've went on to get the job, and it ended, I believe that wouldn't have really translated wide enough forthe message. In the end, he returns to his old ways, didn't learn a damn thing, while the audience should have after watching the character go through all sorts of hell trying to find romance. This was the reality of romance story, that was what they were trying to sell, nothing else and nothing less. To have that suppoed contrived ending doesn't seem very contrive to me at all.

In my experience, my friends and brother being prime example, romantic folks go about doing this all their life and never realize the troubles they keep heading for. Not to say they are wrong, just not all that sound, so it can be very humorous take on standard subject, meanwhile refreshing.

I think the expectation here, looking at the film as a whole and objective of the production, is a bit unwarranted. Look at similiar films on the subject, that took a refreshing, more realistic view on Love and Relationships, such as High Fidelity and Swingers. John Cuasck in Fidelity ends up back with the girl to prove the point that relationships in the pass teach us what is important...or should. Swingers had the guy walking in the sunset alone with his buddies like Casablanca's Humphrey Bogart. These films were powered by a very relatable main character for the man of that time, the average guy, or the markets guy, so they end for those relating to the character.

Sesshoumaru

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Umm... Well, they probably were behind! No real way to prove it, besides, they would have been able to change the ending if they wanted to...