• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mad Men

Colombe Gris

MBTI Type
INTJ
I agree that most are not SJ. I think Joan may be an ENTJ who tries to pull some ESFJ moves (especially with the men in her life) in order to get what she wants. (Don't hold me to that 100% though)

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Joan is ESFP. She has Te and Ni, but they're both weak.

Colombe Gris

MBTI Type
INTJ
In honor of Season 4, a revisit of Mad Men MBTI:

Don Draper- ISTP
Joan Holloway- ESFJ
Betty Draper-ISFJ
Peggy Olsen- INTP
Pete Campbell- ENTP
Roger Sterling- ESTP
Cooper- NFCM (No Freaking Clue Man)
Rachel- INTJ
Midge- ISTP
Anna (California Lady)- ENFP

Too tired for evidence, more to come.

Last edited:

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Isnt Betty Draper more of an extrovert? Shes always gossiping or out and about with friends being chatty.

Colombe Gris

MBTI Type
INTJ
So ESFJ then? I personally can't see her as an Fe dominant, she strikes me more as an ISFJ stuck in an Si-Ti loop (later in the series at least). Also, I can see Betty forcing herself to appear more social/outgoing in order to look like "the perfect housewife."

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I love Mad Men.

I find it really hard to type anybody, though, because of what Columbe Gris said. They are caricatures of their era.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So ESFJ then? I personally can't see her as an Fe dominant, she strikes me more as an ISFJ stuck in an Si-Ti loop (later in the series at least). Also, I can see Betty forcing herself to appear more social/outgoing in order to look like "the perfect housewife."
That was my impression as well. her outgoingness, to the extent she displays it, looks forced.

Benny

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
8w7
ISFJ's are pretty outgoing too. What with their need to fit in and what not. I'd say ISFJ for Betty.

Don I used to think ISTJ, but after watching more there's really nothing J about him at all.
As for the other's...
Roger is ESTP
Joan is ENFJ
Pete is ESTP
Peggy is INFJ or INTJ
Cooper is INTJ

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Joan is actually ESFP, albeit one with a well-developed tertiary Te.

Benny

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
8w7
I don't think so. She's too commanding and organized. She's a very in charge person. She's a hard worker, and not spontaneous at all. The only reason I even say F is because of how she acts with the men in her life. As in her behavior with her fiancee and to a lesser extent Roger.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't think so. She's too commanding and organized. She's a very in charge person. She's a hard worker, and not spontaneous at all.

This would be strong tertiary Te. Notice her management style -- brash, directive, borderline cold. Not indicative of dominant Fe at all. Her behavior around the men in her life is further more Fi than Fe, and more Se than Si. Fe-Si is more reminiscent of how Betty Draper acts.

Colombe Gris

MBTI Type
INTJ
Funny, because Joan does strike me as an Fe dominant. Her biggest assets, besides the obvious, are her people managing skills and inherent knowlege of social etiquette. She's the "den mother" of the original Sterling Cooper (doses of tough love alternating with a protective streak). She's very much socially conscious and status-seeking. I think she is a vivacious ESFJ (see Jennifer Lopez?) but that on the J-P scale she only moderately prefers J.

What are some examples of her Fi? I'm curious.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I thought this may have already existed, if so, merge blah blah blah.

Don Draper - ISTP

Betty Draper - ISFJ

Peggy Olsen - INFJ

Joan Holloway Harris - ESFP

Pete Campbell - ENTP

Roger Sterling - ESTJ

Paul Kinsey - ENFJ

Ken Cosgrove - ISFP ?

Bert Cooper - INFP

Sal Romano - ESFJ

Trudy Campbell - ESFJ

Francine Hanson - ISFP

Nicodemus

Lacking in, though not missing, acquaintances with ENTJs in real life, I thought Draper was one of them. I only saw the first season; in that, my favorite character was Cooper.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Really? Don Draper an extrovert? I see him as very much being an introvert.

If there's anyone I thought maybe could be ENTJ it's Roger Sterling. I couldn't decide to go ESTJ or ENTJ for him, honestly.

Cooper is a hoot. He's so obviously INxx, but I went with INFP because he's so pointedly eccentric, and in some episodes seems to absolutely not even know what the fuck is going on lol, and yet he's so wise...

Betty Draper is my favorite character, though I honestly probably identify more with a weird hybrid between Peggy and Joan.

Nicodemus

Really? Don Draper an extrovert? I see him as very much being an introvert.
I assumed that extraversion does not preclude moments of not wanting to be the center of attention. But it was more a guess than an assessment.

Cooper is a hoot. He's so obviously INxx, but I went with INFP because he's so pointedly eccentric, and in some episodes seems to absolutely not even know what the fuck is going on lol, and yet he's so wise...
He appreciates Ayn Rand. Some sort of INT?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Oh well I didn't mean it in any sort of bad way, it just surprised me. He seems pretty secretive, and really appears to think before he speaks. Don is quite reflective in his way, and yet he lives in the moment. In the second season he even says things like, "That never happened. I don't think about it." which seems STP to me. He seems to be fighting some internal war of following his impulses and being loyal to his family. Overall he just gives me a more P vibe than his wife or his boss, too.

It's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I assumed that extraversion does not preclude moments of not wanting to be the center of attention. But it was more a guess than an assessment.

We once made the distinction between social extroversion and mbti extroversion. While in mbti an extrovert is someone who primarily seeks for the opinion of others when deciding on a topic, a social extrovert would more fall into the category of being the life of the party and center of attention. We once had this in combination with a topic about entp's, who all felt introverted and who judged by themselves according to their lifestyles that they are introverted. But well, socially introverted; to separate the two made a lot of sense, because as you often can see just being an I doesnt make you socially introverted aswell. On the contrary, many Is even sit in political positions where they are often in the media.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
While in mbti an extrovert is someone who primarily seeks for the opinion of others when deciding on a topic

This should be framed and posted on a wall. Thank you, entropie. :smooch:

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
We once made the distinction between social extroversion and mbti extroversion. While in mbti an extrovert is someone who primarily seeks for the opinion of others when deciding on a topic, a social extrovert would more fall into the category of being the life of the party and center of attention. We once had this in combination with a topic about entp's, who all felt introverted and who judged by themselves according to their lifestyles that they are introverted. But well, socially introverted; to separate the two made a lot of sense, because as you often can see just being an I doesnt make you socially introverted aswell. On the contrary, many Is even sit in political positions where they are often in the media.

Agree, I noticed that Ne/Se is more about others ideas/actions(Se?) when it comes opinions. And Fe/Te is more about how others judge them or their opinion of them. Something like that.