• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Jaco Pastorius ENTP?

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If anyone knows or cares enough about the man who's widely considered the most influential electric bassist of all time, discuss his psychological type.

I've read a pretty extensive biography on him, and I can't come to any conclusion other than ENxP. No human being has ever been more Pe dominant, as he had a habit of ludicrous drug abuse with no limits which eventually ruined his life and was at least partially responsible for his death at age 38 in a bar fight that he started. (I know, you think this sounds more Se than Ne, but Ne can be just as reckless, especially when on drugs.) Such a fucking tragedy.

As for his actual contributions, he completely reinvented the electric bass in a way no one had ever heard. He was playing chords and melodies and using harmonics to create full arrangements with just the bass guitar in the mid 70s. He also invented fretless bass by just stripping the frets off one of his two Fender Jazz basses (which he would usually carry around with no cases, and both of which eventually got stolen from backstage at a gig because he was too Ne dom to notice) and filling in the holes with putty. Seemed like the thing to do to find a new sound at the time, I guess. (Ne/Ti has absolutely no concern for defacing an expensive instrument--it's in the name of innovation!)

For a great example of the revolutionary things he did way before anyone else even thought of doing them, look up "Portrait of Tracy", from the man who invented fretless bass guitar. It's absolutely beautiful and I've spent more hours than I can even begin to remember working it to perfection myself.

For one, he had a habit of making extraordinarily offensive jokes in totally inappropriate contexts; for instance, to the bandleader and studio engineer of a band he'd just met upon being hired to record for:

"Hey man, do you know if your roommate is gay?"
"Umm..."
"Cause his dick tastes like shit!"

Not to mention this absurdly ENTP classic encounter with another bandleader:

"Who the fuck are you?"
"I'm John Francis Pastorius III, and I'm the greatest bass player in the world."
"Get the fuck out!"

(Of course, it's only to fair to point out that at the time in the mid 70s, he was probably right. And what ENTP doesn't eat that shit up?)

The total disregard for social convention and borderline quixotic blunt confidence screams ENTP to me. ENFP is possible but I've known many an ENTP who intentionally crafted more of a zany people-oriented image in many situations and gotten off on the hero worship it tends to produce. *ahem*...

Apparently in the last years of his life when he was going pretty much completely insane, he talked about the extraordinary pressure of always having to outdo himself. It eventually destroyed him.

Anyway, does any know/care enough about him to respond?

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
If anyone knows or cares enough about the man who's widely considered the most influential electric bassist of all time, discuss his psychological type.

I've read a pretty extensive biography on him, and I can't come to any conclusion other than ENxP. No human being has ever been more Pe dominant, as he had a habit of ludicrous drug use with no limits which eventually ruined his life and resulted partially in his being killed in a bar fight that he started. (I know, you think this sounds more Se than Ne, but Ne can be just as reckless, especially when on drugs.) Such a fucking tragedy.

For one, he had a habit of making extraordinarily offensive jokes in totally inappropriate contexts; for instance, to the bandleader and studio engineer of a band he'd just met upon being hired to record for:

"Hey man, do you know if your roommate is gay?"
"Umm..."
"Cause his dick tastes like shit!"

Not to mention this absurdly ENTP classic encounter with another bandleader:

"Who the fuck are you?"
"I'm John Francis Pastorius III, and I'm the greatest bass player in the world."
"Get the fuck out!"

(Of course, it's only to fair to point out that at the time in the mid 70s, he was probably right. And what ENTP doesn't eat that shit up?)

The total disregard for social convention and borderline quixotic blunt confidence screams ENTP to me. ENFP is possible but I've known many an ENTP who intentionally crafted more of a zany people-oriented image in many situations and gotten off on the hero worship it tends to produce. *ahem*...

Anyway, does any know/care enough about him to respond?

Could certainly be ENTP since he stole the fuck out of that joke. I remember reading it in Tasteless Jokes Volume whatever-the-fuck back in elementary school.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Heh yeah...the important thing is that he'd tell the joke in that context upon meeting a brand new professional contact that could seriously affect his career. He didn't even think before saying it, most likely, which screams Pe dominance.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
Heh yeah...the important thing is that he'd tell the joke in that context upon meeting a brand new professional contact that could seriously affect his career. He didn't even think before saying it, most likely, which screams Pe dominance.

I think people trust this sort of natural, loose, screw-it mentality.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think people trust this sort of natural, loose, screw-it mentality.

btw, I edited the post and added more interesting stuff about him, if any of it helps your type read.

I really do suggest listening to this though, if you have any interest at all in jazz...keep in mind it's all just one track of electric bass, no overdubbing:[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBBG_2tPiOU"]Jaco Pastorius - "Portrait of Tracy"[/YOUTUBE]

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Fine, screw you all for not caring about jazz.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
Jaco was the baddest of the bad. NO ONE has ever played like him. He was a true genius... love his sound and style. Damn, he was great.

But I just don't follow some of your logic in typing him. P's are loose tongued and brash? Not in my experience.

A LOT of his crazy behavior in his later years was driven by alcoholism, and he was most definitely in it's grasp. I don't think you can type someone so completely in the grips of that disease.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ummmmmmmmmm.....

You haven't been studying typology very long, have you?

Ps aren't loose-tongued and brash when their type also contains "I", "N", and "F", but that's kind of an exception.

ENTP and ESTP are both notorious for precisely that--loose-tongued brashness. And many an ENFP (and occasionally ESFP or ISFP when upset) has indulged an impulse to rant angrily at an obnoxious boss when Fi is pushed too far.

What are you talking about?

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
Ummmmmmmmmm.....

You haven't been studying typology very long, have you?

Ps aren't loose-tongued and brash when their type also contains "I", "N", and "F", but that's kind of an exception.

ENTP and ESTP are both notorious for precisely that--loose-tongued brashness. And many an ENFP (and occasionally ESFP or ISFP when upset) has indulged an impulse to rant angrily at an obnoxious boss when Fi is pushed too far.

What are you talking about?

Can you read?
I haven't been studying this crap at all, actually. I also don't see the point of typing people simply to give yourself an ego boost.
Have you noticed that people (like you) usually type their heroes similar to themselves? It doesn't take a superior intellect to figure that one out. You play bass, he played bass...so you immediately fall into this kind of 'typing', as if it will yield some great insight. It does not. It's nothing more than more masterbatory bullshit by psychological midgets/children such as yourself.
You haven't answered my question.
Why do you think that you can type someone who was a raging alcoholic? I don't expect a rational answer, since your thesis is as full of shit as you are.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Can you read?
I haven't been studying this crap at all, actually. I also don't see the point of typing people simply to give yourself an ego boost.
Have you noticed that people (like you) usually type their heroes similar to themselves? It doesn't take a superior intellect to figure that one out. You play bass, he played bass...so you immediately fall into this kind of 'typing', as if it will yield some great insight. It does not. It's nothing more than more masterbatory bullshit by psychological midgets/children such as yourself.
You haven't answered my question.
Why do you think that you can type someone who was a raging alcoholic? I don't expect a rational answer, since your thesis is as full of shit as you are.

Submitted for your approval, the biggest case of explosive Fi since Dukakis jumped the Snake River Canyon!

How do I think I have any specific information from which to build a profile on Jaco? Hmm....could it maybe have something to do with the 250+ page biography written by close friends and family and chock full of firsthand accounts of his words and actions?

Naaaaah, I don't see how THAT would help.

I don't find your criticisms particularly necessary to rebut, given that anyone with any remote familiarity with my posting history is well aware that I've typed dozens of famous people from all across the board in virtually every type. I just finished a Michael Jackson thread (actually one of my favorite people to study to vocal technique) where I adamantly typed him as ISFP, not to mention my continual insistence on Thom Yorke as INFJ (another favorite), Billy Corgan as ENFJ, Paul McCartney (my favorite Beatle despite John being a clear NTP, by the way) as ESFP, etc. etc.

So in conclusion, if you had any idea of the vast amount of context readily available around this message board that completely destroys any and all point you may have had here, you probably wouldn't have made it in the first place.

Perhaps if you'd lay off huffing the Fi bottle for a moment and allow your Ne to, I dunno, read a few of my other posts before you declare me a raging ENTP-overtyper just to feed my own ego, you'd recognize a few problems with your approach before letting Fi douse my thread with thirty-six gallons of tears.

Here, just for you, to do something about those tears while simultaneously paying homage to Maddox:

product_47.jpg

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Sounds more Se dom to me, but I didn't read the book. ESxP just from your descriptions.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Fair enough, a lot of his letters and personal writings and such are just soooo Ne scrambled though, it's absurd. The way he just absolutely refused to do anything he hadn't completely invented himself, his Ti-riddled in-depth descriptions of bass technique (check out his instructional DVD if you're at all interested, it's very cool.)

It all screams absolute weirdo ENTP to me, right down to the tragic death. One old jazz dude described him, "A freak of nature that wasn't supposed to happen and ain't never gonna happen again!"

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Fair enough, a lot of his letters and personal writings and such are just soooo Ne scrambled though, it's absurd. The way he just absolutely refused to do anything he hadn't completely invented himself, his Ti-riddled in-depth descriptions of bass technique (check out his instructional DVD if you're at all interested, it's very cool.)

It all screams absolute weirdo ENTP to me, right down to the tragic death. One old jazz dude described him, "A freak of nature that wasn't supposed to happen and ain't never gonna happen again!"

Just read his Wiki and it mentioned Bipolar Disorder and that he also suffered bouts of Hypomania, which makes him nearly impossible to type. The effects were likely exacerbated by his substance abuse and such. Descriptions of his childhood made me think Se dom, not to mention the wiki said there has been controversy over Bill Milkowski's biography from Pat Metheny and Jaco's second wife.

Regardless, I'm listening to his stuff on youtube and I'm blown away. I'm going to slap my brother [bass player himself] for not mentioning him earlier.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
Submitted for your approval, the biggest case of explosive Fi since Dukakis jumped the Snake River Canyon!

How do I think I have any specific information from which to build a profile on Jaco? Hmm....could it maybe have something to do with the 250+ page biography written by close friends and family and chock full of firsthand accounts of his words and actions?

Naaaaah, I don't see how THAT would help.

I don't find your criticisms particularly necessary to rebut, given that anyone with any remote familiarity with my posting history is well aware that I've typed dozens of famous people from all across the board in virtually every type. I just finished a Michael Jackson thread (actually one of my favorite people to study to vocal technique) where I adamantly typed him as ISFP, not to mention my continual insistence on Thom Yorke as INFJ (another favorite), Billy Corgan as ENFJ, Paul McCartney (my favorite Beatle despite John being a clear NTP, by the way) as ESFP, etc. etc.

So in conclusion, if you had any idea of the vast amount of context readily available around this message board that completely destroys any and all point you may have had here, you probably wouldn't have made it in the first place.

Perhaps if you'd lay off huffing the Fi bottle for a moment and allow your Ne to, I dunno, read a few of my other posts before you declare me a raging ENTP-overtyper just to feed my own ego, you'd recognize a few problems with your approach before letting Fi douse my thread with thirty-six gallons of tears.

Here, just for you, to do something about those tears while simultaneously paying homage to Maddox:

product_47.jpg

So you use your addiction to typing others are somehow proof-positive of what? your ability to do so?
I wasn't crying, just expressing my disdain for your childish approach. You aren't interested in proving anything, since there is no way to know if you're correct anyway. You're only interested in supporting your silly little boy's ego with a bunch of unprovable nonsense. This is also clearly shown by your use of the J&J bottle. Could I have expected otherwise from someone like you?
As for MBTI, I find it so crude and vague, you might as well se your extensive knowledge of Jaco to come to some equally useless 'conclusion' about his astrological sign. Afterall, your read a whole 250 pages about him. wow.

Have fun in the sandbox, rational boy. I'm going back to the grownup's table.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
lol

"A bunch of unprovable nonsense"

I do believe we have a mistyped N on our hands, my friends.

Regardless, I'm listening to his stuff on youtube and I'm blown away. I'm going to slap my brother [bass player himself] for not mentioning him earlier.

Nice choice of words.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
story checks out to me, if you figure out more, post it.

anyone who thinks finding common ground with your musical/artistic/____ influences and recognizing type similarities/differences is a negative thing is ridiculous.

i love figuring out infjs and getting a sense of what other infjs create/contribute. it gives you an opportunity to compare notes and do something informed by others but different, aim for a new synthesis, alter current discourse in a way that you can put your own stamp on it.

also, simulatedworld, you're pushy but i like your typings, ideas, input, etc. you're knowledgeable, others can be too, but it's a message-board and everyone can take everyone else's opinion with a grain of salt. i'd like to hear more of your typings.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Jaco was awesome, but I am more of a James Jamerson kinda guy. Interesting that both were drunk crazies who died young. Jaco also loved James and The Funk Brothers.