• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Arthur Miller's --- The Crucible (1996)

heart

heart on fire
Anyone who liked 1984 ought to see this movie.

My guesses:

Abigail Williams---ESTP
John Proctor- ISFP
Elizabeth Proctor--ISTJ
Rev. John Hale--INFJ

Mary Warren --IxFP
Reverend Parris --ESFJ

Edit to add: Judge Thomas Danforth-- ESTJ

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Anyone who liked 1984 ought to see this movie.

My guesses:

Abigail Williams---ESTP
John Proctor- ISFP
Elizabeth Proctor--ISTJ

Rev. John Hale--INFJ

Mary Warren --IxFP
Reverend Parris --ESFJ

Edit to add: Judge Thomas Danforth-- ESTJ

The ones in Bold I can remember and I agree with. I also think that the movie is very faithful to Arthur Miller's text.

Can I just say that Daniel Day Lewis rocks! :D

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
what makes arthur miller an infp on the other list?

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
what makes arthur miller an infp on the other list?

Someone (or a few, I forget) suggested it. INFP was the only suggestion.

It's all there in the archives, if you look back far enough, which I've done once, and I'd rather not have to do again.

souffle

MBTI Type
INFP
By God thankyou! I just so happen to be playing John Hale in our upcoming school production of The Crucible in 2 1/2 weeks time!

So you really think John Hale is INFJ? Explain... *listens intently*

heart

heart on fire
He's either ENFJ or INFJ, hard really to tell from the movie which one, I mean his position in the court forces him to be dymanic but we don't know if he really spends most of his time in study in his normal life.

Seems very Ni/Fe. Cares deeply about people, truly wants to help them and wants to improve and work through exiting social systems to do so, Emotionally persuasive when he needs and wants to be---highly charismatic, passionate about his religion but enough of his own person, a free enough thinker that he is able to put aside the group pressure and stand up for the truth when he sees that the witchhunts have gone wrong. He has great moral courage and motivated by his deep emotional values. jmo.

souffle

MBTI Type
INFP
He's either ENFJ or INFJ, hard really to tell from the movie which one, I mean his position in the court forces him to be dymanic but we don't know if he really spends most of his time in study in his normal life.

Seems very Ni/Fe. Cares deeply about people, truly wants to help them and wants to improve and work through exiting social systems to do so, Emotionally persuasive when he needs and wants to be---highly charismatic, passionate about his religion but enough of his own person, a free enough thinker that he is able to put aside the group pressure and stand up for the truth when he sees that the witchhunts have gone wrong. He has great moral courage and motivated by his deep emotional values. jmo.

According to Arthur Miller's description of him in the play text, he spends alot of time 'contemplating the invisible wolrd' and studying, so I am guessing that would make him an introvert. And LOVES knowledge. Sometimes I wondered whether that would make him a T, although yeah, I guess the fact that he cares deeply about people might make him F. Hmm. Can INFJ's be charismatic? I don't know much about them. Well I guess if they have the Ni and Fe of ENFJ, just the other way around, they might have some of that charisma..

Well, there were some things about him and his behaviour that I identify with alot, so him being a fellow INF would make sense.

Ooh ooh! And the fact that it takes him a while to abandon his firm opinions about the proceedings, like half of the play, could spell J, could it not?

To conclude, I just wanted to add, I am a girl! (Just had to add that so no one reading my posts assumes I'm a guy cos I'm playing Hale. :cheese:)
Sorry, carry on..

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Rev. John Hale--INFJ

I always thought he was an xNTJ, actually. I mean... he's practically an NTJ archetype. He's a paragon of intellectual arrogance, though it's applied to religion.

souffle

MBTI Type
INFP
I always thought he was an xNTJ, actually. I mean... he's practically an NTJ archetype. He's a paragon of intellectual arrogance, though it's applied to religion.

Hmm yeah, INTJ is what I would have thought of first as well actually. But when I think of the intense guilt and despair he feels at the end, where he's desperate to make John Proctor confess for his own emotional need to not be responsible for his death, I think F. Hm. Did he start off as a T and then his F took over? Or maybe because he's a tool put in the play to serve a certain dramatic purpose, and therefore we can't type him fully. I think INxJ definitely- maybe he's a mixed F and T, if that's possible. *shrugs*

heart

heart on fire

The John Hale in the movie is protrayed as being deeply caring, deeply devout, and when he suddenly finds he has been wrong, he admits it and does all he can to try and correct the damage. To me that doesn't speak of arrogance. He has confidence in his religious learning but not to the point of arrogance, jmo. Think on his mercy to the girls, even when Abigail admits she drank blood. He is interested more in mercy than justice, an F question on MBTI tests.

An F can be an intellectual but they will tend to focus on humanities or religion. Why does the fact that he studies so hard make people want to pin him as a T? He has passion for his religion that to me seems very F and his passion leads him to study it (a values based decision). Think on how emotional he gets in the interogations compared to the stony demeanor of Danforth.

Whereas Danforth becomes solidly entrenched in defending his and the court's opinions, right or wrong "You are either with this court or against it."

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
The John Hale in the movie is protrayed as being deeply caring, deeply devout, and when he suddenly finds he has been wrong, he admits it and does all he can to try and correct the damage. To me that doesn't speak of arrogance. He has confidence in his religious learning but not to the point of arrogance, jmo. Think on his mercy to the girls, even when Abigail admits she drank blood. He is interested more in mercy than justice, an F question on MBTI tests.

An F can be an intellectual but they will tend to focus on humanities or religion. Why does the fact that he studies so hard make people want to pin him as a T? He has passion for his religion that to me seems very F and his passion leads him to study it (a values based decision). Think on how emotional he gets in the interogations compared to the stony demeanor of Danforth.

Oh, wait... this was about the MOVIE? I read the book. Never mind. :blush:

I'll let you know what I think when I actually watch the movie. I just saw "The Crucible" and assumed I knew what it was about. :doh:

I remember hearing someone say this about the book, and remember it rather clearly, thinking it was accurate:

"When he first arrives in Salem, Hale can be described as young and inexperienced, yet eager to apply his knowledge on witchcraft. He also brings a condescending attitude and thinks of himself to as, 'allied with the best minds of Europe-kings, philosophers, and its preservation'"

laintpe

Summer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
My Grandma has been showing me our family tree and John Proctor is there... all of the schizophrenics are on that side of the family.

heart

heart on fire
Hmm yeah, INTJ is what I would have thought of first as well actually. But when I think of the intense guilt and despair he feels at the end, where he's desperate to make John Proctor confess for his own emotional need to not be responsible for his death, I think F. Hm. Did he start off as a T and then his F took over? Or maybe because he's a tool put in the play to serve a certain dramatic purpose, and therefore we can't type him fully. I think INxJ definitely- maybe he's a mixed F and T, if that's possible. *shrugs*

I'd definately recommend (if you haven't already) renting the movie from Netflix and watching the movie with the director's commentary on, you can find it in the "special features" section on the DVD. Arthur Miller himself talks during the whole movie about what he intended to say and things like that. It's extremely interesting.

Oh, wait... this was about the MOVIE? I read the book. Never mind. :blush:

Well, I could have been clearer about it. :hug:

souffle

MBTI Type
INFP
I'd definately recommend (if you haven't already) renting the movie from Netflix and watching the movie with the director's commentary on, you can find it in the "special features" section on the DVD. Arthur Miller himself talks during the whole movie about what he intended to say and things like that. It's extremely interesting.

Well, I could have been clearer about it. :hug:

I have the DVD! (and the book too!) - just haven't watched the special features yet. But I shall definitely look into it! Thankyou.