• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Christian Bale's type

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ

Because he's a talented actor (and we all know all talented actors must be ENFJ, right? :rolleyes:) or because you've watched/read interviews and genuinely believe him to be ENFJ?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ENFJ??

*bewildered*

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't mind adding him to our team!

That's not fair!

All *we* get is Stephen Hawking and Einstein... not exactly prime physical specimens, you know! :)

--

To be more serious, Bale seems to take a strong T stance to things, from the interview I read. Even if he's talking about "acting" and "characters." He's not really approaching things on a personal level, he's standing back and describing the characters of Batman and Bruce Wayne very much like "objects." This is a typical T approach to acting.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Ah, another victim of the Forer Effect!!!

(Actually, ISTP is not a bad possibility -- further exploration?)

I'm completely serious. Flighty, traveller, never settles down, many careers, objective, cold, absorbs moments, irreverant... And when he acts, he just has this... obsessive quality about him. It's earthly, primal... it's pure STP.

I'm not sure how I could see him being a J of any type after reading his history. Least structured person I have read about so far!

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm completely serious. Flighty, traveller, never settles down, many careers, objective, cold, absorbs moments, irreverant... And when he acts, he just has this... obsessive quality about him. It's earthly, primal... it's pure STP.

I'm not sure how I could see him being a J of any type after reading his history. Least structured person I have read about so far!

Hmm. I've confused NTJ and STP before... I'll have to do more research.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Hmm. I've confused NTJ and STP before... I'll have to do more research.

Behaviourally, INTP, INTJ and ISTP are pretty easy to get mixed up. The only real way of telling them apart, if you forgive the non-PC approach, is that INTPs are the lazy ones, ISTPs the less smart ones and INTJs as the arrogant ones.

The STP vibe comes from similar interests to me and similar desires - in fact, if I was reading a biography, it'd be nearly identical, right down to profession choices.

Only difference is that I settled down instead of travel... and plan on travelling in the future instead.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INTPs are the lazy ones, ISTPs the less smart ones and INTJs as the arrogant ones.

This really needs to go in the public FAQ. *cough*

The STP vibe comes from similar interests to me and similar desires - in fact, if I was reading a biography, it'd be nearly identical, right down to profession choices.

And don't forget those identical massive pairs of rippling pecs!

G

GirlAmerica

Put him in his Batman suit.....and he can be anything he desires.....:devil:

MBTI Type
ENTP
"My hope is that people will be repulsed by the character's complete lack of ethics and obsession with consumerism - that's what I was saying about the difference between the character's message and the film's message." <--this doesn't really sound like something an ISTP would say. Not that all ISTPs are unethical and materialistic, but they don't offer insights like that. It seems like an INTJ thing, with inferior Se.

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
Behaviourally, INTP, INTJ and ISTP are pretty easy to get mixed up. The only real way of telling them apart, if you forgive the non-PC approach, is that INTPs are the lazy ones, ISTPs the less smart ones and INTJs as the arrogant ones.

LOL

I get the feeling he is T, and to me his choice of roles seem to indicate N, since most seem to be in (cold) fictional environment. In one interview I saw I really got the sense he appreciated strangeness as well, also quite N. I can’t see him as a STJ, and it seems that option has been ruled out. I must say he seems to have some of that INTJ sarcasm. About the I/E issue, I don’t really know. I think maybe too many here speculate celebrities and actors are introverted, mystifying them to some degree. It would be interesting to know just how many introverts there are in acting …

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
Notes from E Online

" ... I don't really live anywhere. I break up my time between [L.A.] and London. When I'm in London, I don't want to spend any time in L.A., and when I'm in here [in L.A.], I actually enjoy it." --Bale quoted in Flaunt, Fall/Winter 1998.

"I enjoy obsession. It makes you feel alive when you've got something that you're generally obsessed with and something to really fixate on. But I believe I've been able to maintain a kind of sense of humor with it, you know? An enjoyable playing with it, so that it hasn't really - I hope - affected any of my family in a negative way whatsoever."---Bale on some of the extreme measures he takes to prepare for his acting roles, to the Los Angeles Times, November 12, 2006.

"I felt so dried up for a couple of years and wasn't interested in what I was doing. I was desperately struggling to be interested, but it wasn't happening ... I know some of the emotion went out of my work, but I think I've managed to get it back ... That's because I could risk making a complete fool of myself in front of the people I was working with, which is always when you give your best performances. You might say to yourself, What are you doing? But you just can't stop yourself doing it, and walking that line is the best feeling you can get as an actor." --Bale to Graham Fuller in Interview, December 1998.

"I have a fear of being boring. The more high-profile I get, the less I can surprise people anymore. I've managed it very well. Nobody has a clue who I am, so it's worked." --Christian Bale to Entertainment Weekly, October 11, 1996.

"I like scary movies. As a kid I liked to take walks in the woods at night after a scary movie to see if I could get the hairs standing up on the back of my neck."---Bale quote in EW June 25/July 2, 2004

"I was living in Bournemouth and suddenly everybody knew who I was. I remember sitting in this cafe with some friends and this girl came up, who obviously didn't recognise me, and started going on about how she was going out with Christian Bale. I'd go down to the public toilets and see things written about me on the wall. Guys would start fights with me. The local paper took pictures of me getting back from school, then wrote features about I wouldn't open a girls' school fete. I just felt like a dick, you know? I was 14; I didn't want to stand there next to the mayor with a big pair of scissors, but they started saying I was big-headed, that I'd forgotten where I came from. I didn't come from there, anyway." --Christian Bale quoted in The Independent, August 6, 1998.

"I'm not at all surprised about his huge following. He's very personable, and he's very serious about his work." --Christopher Hampton, writer-director of "The Secret Agent", quoted in Entertainment Weekly, October 11, 1996.

"I've gone through periods of depression during lengthy hiatuses. Everybody wants a sense of purpose, and when your mind's set on doing one thing and it's not happening, you just feel useless."---Bale to GQ magazine, March 2007.

"It's important for an actor to have a certain amount of mystery. Personally, I love going to see a film where you can really watch a character. If you've just read some article about who the actor is sleeping with, that's gonna be in the back of your mind all the time you're watching the film. And obviously the more press you do, the less you're able to maintain that mystery." --Bale to Brendan Lemon in Interview, February 1998.

About being hired by Steven Spielberg: "At that age you are completely fearless. I wasn't really a film fan at all. Probably the only director I could have named was Spielberg. But I mean, I was like, 'Yeah, so what?' I was only slightly intimidated by the fact that it was his film and that I had the burden of carrying it." --From The Dallas Morning News, December 25, 1998.

About his role in "Newsies", Bale told Michael Atkinson in Movieline, March 1997: "I never had any interest in doing a musical. I still don't. In fact, when I first read the script, I thought it wasn't a musical. Later, after I realized it was, I asked Kenny [director Kenny Ortega] if maybe I could duck over here into the pub while the numbers were going on, and then come out when it was over. I hoped I could be the lead in a musical without doing any singing and dancing! Eventually I said, 'Fuck it, let's just do it.' But I had a lot of doubts about it--I never liked musicals, and even then I knew I'd never do anything like that again."
His official website is located at www.christianbale.org.

On his Internet fans: "It gives me a sort of smug smile that there are people who very thoroughly appreciate my work and talk about it. Some people would think it's creepy, but it doesn't enter into my daily life." --From Time Out New York, April 8-15, 1999.

On negotiating the transition from child actor to adult performer: "I've been very lucky because there wasn't a sudden leap where people were saying, 'Oh, what a cute kid,' and then it's 'Bloody hell, what happened there, he's got zits and hair in his armpits--he must be spending a lot of time alone in his room.' Of course, I WAS spending a lot of time alone in my room." --From Movieline, March 1997.

On taking the part in "American Psycho": " ... frankly, I've always admired actors who appear not to pay a great deal of attention to the reaction but rather to their own choices and keeping themselves interested in their own careers and in the roles. It's something I'm happy to take flack for."

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I haven't followed him extremely closely, but for what it's worth I typed him as ISTP.