• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The fictional Larry David

Andy K Octopus

MBTI Type
INFJ
There is the real man Larry David, and there is his fictional persona on "Curb".

what would you say is his "fictional persona" type?

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I think it's INFJ. (Also I think the persona on "Curb" is not too different from the real Larry David.)

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
I don't disagree with the NFJ assessment (I was kinda thinking ENFJ).

Andy K Octopus

MBTI Type
INFJ
I can agree with that. His compulsive eccentricities definetly point to an NFJ personality.
I would say he is more of an I than an E, though. Although I's can be social (particularly us elusive INFJs), they aren't nearly as open as E types. Larry strikes me as very secretive, and closed off to all but a few people . He is not prone to just make friends with strangers, in fact, he usually distrusts people until he knows them better---an I trait

He was also the person that george Costanza was based on, and I would type George as an NF

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
My Husband and I watch this every Sunday night and each week we both say he's an ENTJ.

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
My Husband and I watch this every Sunday night and each week we both say he's an ENTJ.

I could definitely see him as a very frustrated ENTJ.

kuranes

MBTI Type
XNXP
For a moment I thought this thread was going to claim that he was not a real human being. That Jerry wrote his own stuff, or something like that.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
As inconsiderate as he usually is, he is hardly a feeler.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
ENTP. I think David himself is likely INTP, but he probably doesn't have as many interesting conversations IRL.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
ENTP. I think David himself is likely INTP, but he probably doesn't have as many interesting conversations IRL.

Agreed. Really people, NFJ? Doesn't that require Fe?

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP

Yeah the whole show is about Fe, but it's Fe that has been warped by dominant Ni. To put it another way the whole show is about manners and social norms and consideration, but it's from Larry David's perspective so the etiquette standards are subjective ones that he created himself. For example he might make a big deal about someone who takes too many free samples.

Every show is about relationships. That's why it's clear that he's a feeler. But it's also about how he comically screws up his relationships with others because he's an INxJ. There is no way he's an NTP because he gets irritated so easily and NTP's really don't. He's not an NTJ because he is fine sitting around the house doing nothing all day (or wasting time in other ways), which doesn't describe a Te user very well. He's a misanthropic INFJ and that is why the show is funny.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
I think he's an iNFJ too, maybe a really misanthropic ENFJ. Larry has created all these social rules that people must adhere to and gets very upset when people don't follow them. His system is extremely convoluted. He's also got inferior Se all over the place and is always emoting all over the place.

He's paranoid about people watching him go to the bathroom and every few episodes needs to go to the doctor about something but is embarrassed about telling them why he's there. He's not comfortable with his body which indicates inferior sensing to me.

Also in this past season he clicked up very nicely with Leon Black, who's an ESTP.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
Yeah the whole show is about Fe, but it's Fe that has been warped by dominant Ni. To put it another way the whole show is about manners and social norms and consideration, but it's from Larry David's perspective so the etiquette standards are subjective ones that he created himself. For example he might make a big deal about someone who takes too many free samples..

Ok, let's deal with the Fe.
The whole shtick of the show is that he offends people left right and center because he's oblivious to how they feel. The strength of Fe is that the user is sensitive to other's feelings and can accurately gauge or predict what these are.
Fe is adapting one's interactions with the external world to the moods and feelings of others. Fe is sensitive to events like changes in people's expressions or other such "soft," hard-to-quantify conditions in the environment.
Larry is a failure at Fe.

When he's clued into how other's see, some more conflict comes from his machinations because: 1) He often doesn't think they should be offended; it doesn't make sense to him so he keeps offending (there's little adaptation to people's sensitivities) or 2) He applies his Ti to try to solve the problem, with disastrous results because he lacks that touch of the pol.

As for the irritation - I can see how this could be an INFJ, but I cannot agree with your reasoning by negation of this as a trait in NTPs. He is cranky, misanthropic and caustic, particularly where people try to call something one thing when he sees it as another. He is particular about precision in language and will argue something for aaaages if he feels the definition wrong, no matter how the other party feels about it ("suicide"bomber episode for example).

As for this:
Every show is about relationships. That's why it's clear that he's a feeler.
:wtf:

As for the rest: watch the "what do you hate thread" for various INTx peeved off about the failure of people to follow certain basic rules of behaviour. every nf i've known has been more forgiving and less critical about such things.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Ok, let's deal with the Fe. Larry is a failure at Fe.
I would say that Feeling is neither David's Primary nor Support function, and he's Introverted, but I get where you're coming from. ;)

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
I would say that Feeling is neither David's Primary nor Support function, and he's Introverted, but I get where you're coming from. ;)

Well shit, yeah. That's more efficient.

But do elaborate on how you typed him. I'm heading home.

Sarcasticus

Circus Maximus
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
I'm not sure how we got on the idea of Larry David's character being an 'N' at all. He seems like my easily irritable ISTJ (ex)father-in-law. Yes the show is about relationships but more specifically it's about his inability to understand people and the nuances of social interaction. That and his prickliness seems to suggest an ISTJ to me.

And the whole incomfortable-in-his-own-body and excessive modesty sounds like an enneagram type 6.

Oh, and no offense intended to the healthy ISTJs out there ;)

MBTI Type
ENTP

lol yeah. There would be no plot points if he had any concept of social propriety.

I'm going to guess ENTP. He's very hard on other people who break his perceived rules of society (not that he cares about society but happens to find those things annoying and needs a rationalization to bitch at the perpetrators), but not so hard on himself when he breaks their rules. That seems like a common ENTP thing in my experience.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
lol yeah. There would be no plot points if he had any concept of social propriety.

Yeah, 50% of the show is him arguing with people. I like it though, quick back-and-forth spats make for the most amusing improvs.

He said in an interview his character on the show is basically a more sociopathic version of himself.