• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

beat poets

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
kerouac, burroughs, ginsberg, cassady, snyder, and whomever else excites you. gregory corso, lawrence ferlinghetti sp.

kerouac is infp, cassady is probably enfp. snyder feels infj to me. i don't know ginsberg that well but i think he could easily be a j. maybe a dominant intuitive. his eyes feel j to me. i could see enfj. burroughs feels like an intj to me, but i waffle between intj and intp. he seems Ni dom more than Ti dom in the end.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ginsberg enfp or entp? the latest verdict for me is probably enfp, especially if whitman is an enfp (ginsberg = whitman, the sequel, but less good).

if i knew who lawrence ferlinghetti is, i might try typing him too.

gregory corso seems silly when he talks (in the soooo outdated, out-of-touch sense). i never liked him in kerouac books anyway. esp? isp?

Sarcasticus

Circus Maximus
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
I always thought Neal Cassady was an S... probably ESTP. Good with the ladies, lot of energy, never really did much writing himself but was more of a catalyst for Kerouac.

Edit: and I agree with INFJ for Gary Snyder

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
neal is the biggest inspiration for kerouac's prose. he's definitely a fast-talker. in visions of cody you get a sense of how out-there he was. i'm gonna re-read The Letter later and respond. he could be entp too.

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
ooooophs just reread the title.... sorry he is not really an example of a beat poet... just a depressive one! :D

matilda

neal is the biggest inspiration for kerouac's prose. he's definitely a fast-talker. in visions of cody you get a sense of how out-there he was. i'm gonna re-read The Letter later and respond. he could be entp too.

yep. exactly why i think he's an S.

kerouac: infp > isfp > infj
burroughs: intp
cassady: esfp > estp
ginsberg: intp

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
keorac sounds enfpish to me...kinda

“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you. I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”

My fault, my failure, is not in the passions I have, but in my lack of control of them.”

but i have no idea really...

matilda

keorac sounds enfpish to me...kinda

“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you. I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”

My fault, my failure, is not in the passions I have, but in my lack of control of them.”

but i have no idea really...

Fi + Ne :yes:

DrExcelsior

MBTI Type
ENTP
Kerouac. INFx. Hes emotional enough to be INFP but his taciturnity and charismatic ''cool' together with seriously moralistic Buddhist Catholicism argue INFJ to me.
Ginsberg xNFP at times seems ENFP especially late in his career.
Burroughs. Seems very clearly INTJ to me, almost a poster boy. My INTJ friend has many similar traits. Not ISTP: he had a "blind spot for anything mechanical" and his handiwork was always a crazy bodge job.
Corso. ENxP? I'd hazard ENFP given his love of Shelley. Would consider ESTP but "fried shoes" screams Ne to me.
Snyder. ISTP at a guess. Maybe ISFP because he was generally so genial and not spiky. (But I never left his chainsaw out in the rain so..)
Whalen. INTP.
Brautigan. INFP. (Poster boy)
Spicer. INTP.
Neal Cassady. ESTP. No one could drive like that or talk like that and not be. Holy con man with the shining mind.
Carolyn Cassady ISFJ?
John Clellon Holmes INTP.