• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do Fictional Characters Have to Have a Type?

MBTI Type
ISTJ
While I was reading your responses to my questions about Seinfeld, Becker, and House's types, I got to thinking... Is it possible to make a fictional character that either doesn't have a type or can easily change type as the author pleases? Do you know of any fictional characters that defy being typed like this?

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
Spock seems to defy typing, not quite INTP, INTJ or ISTJ.

Varelse

Wait, what?
MBTI Type
INTJ
I'd think that an idealized character would defy typing, through showing the strong points of various types, without the weak points. A stereotype might also be difficult.

A flawed character might be easier to type, and I'd think that most of such could be assigned a rough type.

:doh: I just realized my Oblivion char is probably ISTJ. Carry on.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It depends on the type of story. Comedies in particular often use characters to fulfill roles rather than having personalities. The same goes with some allegories and mythical stories.

On the other extreme, sometimes a character can be so fully realized or mature that it's well-rounded and capable of different function usage, making it difficult to see what type it started out.

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
Even real people often aren't easy to squeeze into a type, but people do it any, so the same can be made to work with fictional characters. fictional characters are often based off archetypes and such, but those can be fitted into types if someone really wants to.

Usehername

On a mission
not to mention that tv shows have multiple writers that rotate, and thus would all add their own personal spins on how the characters would behave = blending/overlap of types depending ont he writers.

ygolo

My termites win
In a strange way, I think good fictional characters are more "typed" than real people are.

My theory (all-out, blind guess) is that when writers try to create a realistic person, what they end up with, is a symbolic version of a person (perhaps a Jungian archetype?). Also, I believe, it are these very "symbolic people" (the "persona's" of famous individuals and the "symbolized" versions of people known to those who created type theory) who form the basis for type theory.

:doh: I hope you can parse that. If not I can rephrase.:D