• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Anaïs Nin?

demimondaine

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I'd prefer to sit back and see if any of you have ideas before I jump in..
Any thoughts?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Don't remember a ton, I haven't read her for years.

I think I'd thought INFJ at the time (it reminded me of Virginia Woolf or someone similar), at this point I'd say INFx... basically, values and introversion and observer of people... basically able to step back and record one's life and feelings and values as it unfolds as a narrative.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I've heard others call her an INFJ. It seems very plausable. She might have been an INFP, though. Her behavior in terms of her love affairs seems somewhat Fi, because she seemed to fly away with whatever she felt. She also had a lifelong relationship with Henry Miller, but not in any sort of "conventional" sense. INFPs are also stereotyped as writers, and she was quite romantic. I guess I do see some Fe in her, though, because she stayed married to her husband until he died, even though she cheated on him repeatedly. She also made sure that none of her journals were published until all parties named were deceased. It really could go either way, IMHO.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i read henry and june. i sort of agreed with isfp for a while, but am less inclined to take that position now. i could see infj, i am starting to see a dominant intuitive and not a dominant feeler.

i know it was very fashionable, but her psychoanalysis seems telling too. she was in love with the idea of understanding herself, obviously a 4. i could totally see infj 4w5. or perhaps even intj.

their connection also makes a lot of sense to me either way. perhaps even more so as intj. i was so 100% convinced that henry miller was an enfp, and, for the most part i still am. watchin some of the youtube clips makes me feel more entp tho initially. with that said i'm still probably 80/20 he's an enfp.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
INFJ.

Looks INFJ, too.

Anais-nin.jpg

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
i read henry and june. i sort of agreed with isfp for a while, but am less inclined to take that position now. i could see infj, i am starting to see a dominant intuitive and not a dominant feeler.

i know it was very fashionable, but her psychoanalysis seems telling too. she was in love with the idea of understanding herself, obviously a 4. i could totally see infj 4w5. or perhaps even intj.

Yes, maybe INTJ.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
their connection also makes a lot of sense to me either way. perhaps even more so as intj. i was so 100% convinced that henry miller was an enfp, and, for the most part i still am. watchin some of the youtube clips makes me feel more entp tho initially. with that said i'm still probably 80/20 he's an enfp.

I'm 80/20 that he's ENTP/ENFP.

"Example moves the world more than doctrine. The great exemplars are the poets of action, and it makes little difference whether they be forces for good or forces for evil."

"Life is 440 horsepower in a 2-cylinder engine."

"The new always carries with it the sense of violation, of sacrilege. What is dead is sacred; what is new, that is different, is evil, dangerous, or subversive. "

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
maybe it's fred ward who is getting in the way. in which case philip kaufman did shitty casting. anais is in love with his energy, in the book it is probably a different animal than the way the movie was done, and the book is less recent to me. in the book she is much more inj analytical. willing to consider any potential premise with no restrictions, no pre-ordained morality.

henry could be less of the gushy always merry and bright all ya need is a great meal/full stomach and more of an entp prankster. he did read fucking bergson after all, and his career path is sooooo entp. he's in love with bombast and the world of ideas. pummeling you with them, letting one idea drift into and be taken over by another, and superimposing them all together. plus he's the biggest schemer ever.

plus he has more of an entp style for being in love with himself than an enfp style. charming not even despite his self-absorption but bc of it kinda thing. strangely endearing.

i'm allowing myself to become convinced that he's an entp. this is the second major influence for me this week who i thought was enfp but realized was an entp.

heart

heart on fire
Maybe she is really INTJ because reading her just rubs me like a dry brillo pad.

Am I the only INFP who really can't stand her? :huh: She just comes accross as really selfish and boring.

She bragged that she was Gore Vidal's lover too but he supposidily denied it.

Last edited:

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
trey anastasio of phish.

i'm currently revising my senior thesis for a graduate application (english masters) at a local school. the thesis was out of the religious studies department about the band.

i'm trying to work myers briggs into my analysis, since it clarifies some of what i was initially going for. (trey is entp and mike is infj, the drummer fishman might be an entp too or intp and the keyboardist page is an isfp). communication styles is part of it, but also the band just seems really N- adapts to new circumstances really well, creates and explores new possibilities. builds a great environment to be creative, to foster connections between the members of the band. the chemistry inspires self-actualization and makes the most of individual creativity.

they kind of remind me of sonic youth as a band that has figured out how to do things their own way and really made it work long-term (who, coincidentally also has an entp-thurston and an infj-lee ranaldo. i'm thinking kim is probably an intj as well, tho intp is not out of the question by any means.) i think animal collective is another really good example w an enfp-avey tare, an entp-geologist, and an infj-panda bear. dominant intuitives are in love with exploration, possibilities, and new information.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Maybe she is really INFJ because reading her just rubs me like a dry brillo pad.

Am I the only INFP who really can't stand her? :huh: She just comes accross as really selfish and boring.

She bragged that she was Gore Vidal's lover too but he supposidily denied it.

she is open to new possibilities and the possibilities excite her, enthuse her, inspire her. what comes of them is life, her life, nothing more. the connections between the things she writes about don't necessarily transcend her own limited sphere and become relevant for many or like become universalized. there is no morality imposed in her books except her own changing judgment. it's like an experiment or a hypothesis that may argue against itself in time.

self-assuredness becomes a boring read for some of us too. maybe i don't want a book to start with an ending and then make up a beginning that suits it. the characters are compelling, and their little self-absorbed circles bouncing off each other (both 4s!) leads to some personal insights and ideas that i find very useful to me in my own life. i'm a 4aholic tho, i can't get enough of self, self, self and the myriad of ways the merry-go-round spins.

heart

heart on fire
Just sounds to be like self-serving justification to wreck havoc without feeling responsible.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Maybe she is really INFJ because reading her just rubs me like a dry brillo pad.

Yay! Psyche-chaffing!

Well, I have to say ISFP threw me for a loop. I gotta differ with that, her writing style is far different than how ISFPs think.... much more N and making cross-connections / deeper evocations, and there's also a big-picture consistency in the narrative. The only similarity I saw with ISFP is that there is focus on the details of the events.... but with ISFP all those details tend to describe the objects more literally (rather than as just representative of the Ideal) and jumble together and not have a large over-arcing connection.

I don't remember much detail right now, but I'd probably meet you half-way at "self-absorbed."
EDIT: lol, TSIAI, I just saw your post and your references to self-absorption. :)

INFJ.
Looks INFJ, too.

She does! There's a cleanness/precision to the face (basically a "constructed mask") to express typical IJ style control, and it's got an aesthetic (rather than practical) quality to it, which tends to be NF.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
4s often do wreak havoc. but it is often to feel responsible, to test their own limits, get in touch with their feelins and the feelins of others in the aftermath, to better know themselves. it's a disaster, but sometimes a beautiful one.

and i'm not saying all 4s are like this, i'm just saying this is part of the process for self-discovery. an exaggerated example. for understanding where limitations really lie. i understand why you would not be sympathetic to her, but i do think she finds something of value in her experiences, regardless of who she had to stab in the back to get them (which i don't at all justify).

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've always thought of her as ISFP given her very... descriptive accounts of sensual and physical experiences; a preoccupation with colors, sounds, and tastes. She seemed to be consumed by the world of sensing --perhaps she possessed strong Ni?

However, it's entirely possible that she is an INFJ with well-developed Se.

heart

heart on fire
Could be inferior Se, obsessive. The Se was what made me want to say she was ISFP.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've always thought of her as ISFP given her very... descriptive accounts of sensual and physical experiences; a preoccupation with colors, sounds, and tastes. She seemed to be consumed by the world of sensing --perhaps she possessed strong Ni? However, it's entirely possible that she is an INFJ with well-developed Se.

I've noted elsewhere how it's very common for INFJ women to end up with SP guys; it surprised me by how often I saw it occur, I had always expected them to go for N's as the majority.

I think INFP will use Ne instead of SE and not get nearly as immersed in physical detail as INFJ will (so ; it's the Ni/Se pairing at work here, that's my intuition.

For a similar example, compare typical INTP abstraction in writing (deals with concepts as the basic building block) versus INTJ narrative which often will be similar to INFJ in that it is interested in the external details. When I discuss health with INTJ vs INTP, for example, I tend to get the "concepts" of good health from INTP and then the specifics if I ask for it, while meanwhile I'll get very precise grounded descriptions of the drugs/herbs, dosages, and the like from INTJ and general rules if I ask for them.

heart

heart on fire
I think INFP will use Ne instead of SE and not get nearly as immersed in physical detail as INFJ will (so ; it's the Ni/Se pairing at work here, that's my intuition...

INFP S is going to be Si and childlike I am thinking, sort of like Edward Scissorhands surrealistic/nostalgic flavor. (Look sorry my brain is tired so I can spell for ...)