• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is Jane Eyre INFP?

heart

heart on fire
But her aunt was an abusive piece of shit who deserved to be jumped at.

An Fe might have been able to find a way to deal without being so obstinate. It's not about whether it was right or wrong for her to have railed against the aunt, but rather how the different types might have reacted to the same situation.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
An Fe might have been able to find a way to deal without being so obstinate. It's not about whether it was right or wrong for her to have railed against the aunt, but rather how the different types might have reacted to the same situation.

That was the classic INFJ door slam. The reason it is so debilitating to the receiver is precisely that it is so unexpected, and it's delivered with the perfect confidence that the receiver deserves every syllable and zero sympathy, straight between the eyes.

ETA: And then comes the immediate guilt. :-D

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

I don't know about that. People who are abused to that degree either start fighting back or become extremely passive and victim-y. I don't know if Fe necessarily makes a person more likely to take on the victim personality. Maybe.

LadyJaye

Scream down the boulevard
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Cathy strikes me more as ENFP ...

Oh no way. Cathy is a morbid, high strung thing. Definitely an ENFJ. Trust me, I live with one. :D

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I saw the Orson Welles movie a couple of weeks ago. Jane is definitely an INFx. My guess would be INFJ from the movie, but I have no idea about the book version of Jane.

LadyJaye

Scream down the boulevard
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I saw the Orson Welles movie a couple of weeks ago. Jane is definitely an INFx. My guess would be INFJ from the movie, but I have no idea about the book version of Jane.

Movies almost always destroy the original integrity of the books they're based off of. Could be a fabulous movie, but nothing like the book. I haven't seen a single version of Jane Eyre that I thought was even remotely close to the book. Not bad movies, but not right either.

wren

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
How can you say what type Helen Burns might have been. She wasn't around long enough to tell imo.

I may have mistaken enneagram type. A couple weeks ago I had a dream that I discussed Charlotte Bronte's enneagram type with someone and I wasn't right, according to him. So maybe the author was infx type one. Or maybe she was infp self preservation type.

I mean, she experienced so much death throughout her life, beginning with her mother, most of her siblings died before she was out of her teen years.

Still I think she was infp. But I would NEVER allow someone to treat me like Mrs. Reed did without saying something. I would have been sent to the dark room a million times (and broke John's arm as well) if I lived with that wicked woman!

If infj means one puts up with nonsense like that than I am definitely something else.

heart

heart on fire
^ It's how she stands up and how she feels afterwards, not the fact that she stood up. Total definant obstinance. She only feels a child's fear of the consequenses.

I never said an Fe would not stand up, I merely said they would probably find a less obstinate way of doing so.

Ere I had finished this reply my soul began to expand, to exult, with the strangest sense of freedom, of triumph, I ever felt. It seemed as if an invisible bond had burst, and-that I had struggled out into unhoped-for liberty. Not without cause was this sentiment; Mrs. Reed looked frightened; her work had slipped from her knee; she was lifting up her hands, rocking herself to and fro, and even twisting her face as if she would cry.

I was left there alone—winner of the field. It was the hardest battle I had fought, and the first victory I had gained. I stood awhile on the rug, where Mr. Brocklehurst had stood, and I enjoyed my conqueror's solitude. First, I smiled to myself and felt elate; but this fierce pleasure subsided in me as fast as did the accelerated throb of my pulses. A child cannot quarrel with its elders, as I had done; cannot give its furious feelings uncontrolled play, as I had given mine; without experiencing afterwards the pang of remorse and the chill 6f reaction.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Heart, so that total defiant obstinance is INFP, you think?

heart

heart on fire
Heart, so that total defiant obstinance is INFP, you think?

Without thought for the consequenses? Yes, that's my opinon. What socially aware person doorslams the one who feeds them before developing a plan B? :huh:

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The one who's made up her mind she's just not havin' it anymore, consequences be damned?

heart

heart on fire
There wasn't anything wise about Jane telling her aunt off like that. Believe me it's not an insult to Fe's to say they might perhaps handle the situation with more social finesse.

heart

heart on fire
You'll get nowhere with Heart when she's in this total defiant obstinance mode.

Take that:

Kittens.jpg

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
^ It's how she stands up and how she feels afterwards, not the fact that she stood up. Total definant obstinance. She only feels a child's fear of the consequenses.

I never said an Fe would not stand up, I merely said they would probably find a less obstinate way of doing so.

As an INFP, I relate to defiant obstinance, so maybe you're right. One of my sisters is more Fe dominant, and even if she feels a similar way about a circumstance or situation, she'll generally find either a more A) manipulative or B) avoidant way of handling the situation. When she does act out, it's more in the tone of annoying, persistant lecturing than an explosion of crying or yelling or telling someone off abruptly.

prplmnky

As an INFP, I relate to defiant obstinance, so maybe you're right. One of my sisters is more Fe dominant, and even if she feels a similar way about a circumstance or situation, she'll generally find either a more A) manipulative or B) avoidant way of handling the situation. When she does act out, it's more in the tone of annoying, persistant lecturing than an explosion of crying or yelling or telling someone off abruptly.

But remember, Jane has been ostracized by Mrs. Reid and her children repeatedly since her birth and had just been locked up in the 'Red Room' so Jane must have been in a distressed state of mind then. Nevertheless, I do see Jane as a kind of INFJ.

As for Mr. Rochester, the mood swings, arrogance, imperious tone of voice, hidden past. Sounds like an xNTJ to me. :)

KLessard

Aspiring Troens Ridder
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
In the movies, she's usually played as INFJ.

I just watched Franco Zeffirelli's Jane Eyre again last night, and as an adult, Jane definitely appears as INFJ. Her very words scream it out...
"We will work hard and be content."
"I always wanted to achieve more."
"I think none of us are without some fault to hide."

The display of austerity and self-control is so INFJ.

I do feel that Jane as a child is INFP, though. And I totally relate to that. I was INFP as a child. Social influences and omnipresent SJ demands turned me into an INFJ during my teenage years. I entered adulthood a clean-cut INFJ. But I tend to go into the P mode when I'm depressed and I start to go deep into introspection like there's no tomorrow.

B

brainheart

Haven't read it in a long time, but yeah that sounds right.

Refusing to marry the rich guy because his crazy wife was still alive screams Fi.

Ha ha. I think that screams you have a brain in your head.

Marrying the rich guy because you love him and it doesn't matter that his crazy wife is howling up in the attic... you could argue that that screams Fi. :D

All I know is- and I read this book like twenty years ago- is that I didn't feel like I had much in common with Janie, whatever that means. But I dug the book. Although I for sure like Wuthering Heights more.

Emily kicks Charlotte's ass!