• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is Jane Eyre INFP?

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Emily kicks Charlotte's ass!

I prefer Charlotte, greatly. :D

I went back and forth on INFP or INFJ for Jane also....she seems to have these premonitions in her dreams, which says Ni to me, but her general behavior says Fi to me. I agree that her tendency to defy and not mince words seems Fi over Fe.

I think Mr. Rochester is an ENTJ, and INFP for Jane would probably make more sense for their match then INFJ would. Their dynamic reminds me of myself when I banter with a guy I like. I always make sure I cut them down to size and keep their ego in check, but in a teasing way :devil:

KLessard

Aspiring Troens Ridder
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
I agree that her tendency to defy and not mince words seems Fi over Fe.

Oh, I can totally do that being INFJ when I'm offended. You should have seen me in philosophy class a few years ago. -> :mad:

Note that Jane usually does that when she is offended. The premonitions also seem to suggest J over P here. Although I personally thought those a bit silly. I don't like the kitsch romantic ending of this book. I suppose that is the reason I Like Zeffirelli's version (cuts through most of this to make a shorter film). I also remember Rochester's descriptions of Jane: "the air of a little nun" talking about her austerity and all. I don't get this impression of self-control from INFPs. I think she inherited this J self-control at Lowood and Fe being a teacher there and caring for the other pupils. But she was INFP in the first chapters as a little girl.

B

brainheart

I prefer Charlotte, greatly. :D

Oh yeah? You wanna fight? :steam: Oh wait... this has to do with personal preference... nevermind... :hug:

I agree that her tendency to defy and not mince words seems Fi over Fe.

Based on my limited experience with INFJs on here, it seems INFJs can be just as direct and brusque as the INFPs, if not more so. (I'm probably gonna go with more so... that whole directing vs informing way of speaking...

Oh, I can totally do that being INFJ when I'm offended. You should have seen me in philosophy class a few years ago. ->

KLessard, INFJ, agrees!

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Based on my limited experience with INFJs on here, it seems INFJs can be just as direct and brusque as the INFPs, if not more so. (I'm probably gonna go with more so... that whole directing vs informing way of speaking...

Yes, I'm more direct than I probably should be. People here tend to think Fe type = polite and gracious, as they read in textbooks, but INFJs will stand up for themselves too. Just depends on what they are standing up for.

chihuahuasrluv

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w3
She's more like infp as a kid. Adult Jane is more a infx. She goes back in forth between infj & infp IMO.

Has anyone guessed what enneagram she is?

Srho

MBTI Type
INFX
I think Jane is an ISFJ. Helen is an INFJ. Jane is way too superstitious and paranoid about what people think of her to signal INFJ for me. Helen is more concerned with existential, religious truths.

KDude

/bump I see her as an INFP easily. Despite the character being from another culture/gender/etc..

On a sidenote, I think the new film adaptation is played by a real INFP (Mia Wasikowska), making it seem even more the case.

Chiharu

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So INFJ it's not even funny!

KDude

How is it not even funny? Is it really that simple to you? Where do you see a Ni dominant? Ni characters are pretty obvious to me, but she stands out for other reasons. As for Fe, she's more celebrated for being a discordant..even spunky sort of individualist. I'm curious why she's typed INFJ often. Is it simply because she's religious (just curious.. because I've seen people equate Fe with religion, which is ridiculous)?

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Has anyone seen the latest incarnation of Jane Eyre in film?

Type 4 seems pretty clear. Individualist before her time. INFx. J/P is tough between what's lost in translation during book-to-film adaptations.

I agree with LadyJaye and think based on the book, INFP for Jane (Mr. Rochester INTJ) is sound.

Starry

I just watched this a few nights ago. Why do I think of this character as an ISFP?

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It looks like it's going to be really good! I can't wait to see it.
I was just looking at INFP characteristics here and there on the internet, and saw this:

Most INFPs will exhibit the following weaknesses with regards to relationship issues:

May tend to be shy and reserved
Don't like to have their "space" invaded
Extreme dislike of conflict
Extreme dislike of criticism
Strong need to receive praise and positive affirmation
May react very emotionally to stressful situations
Have difficulty leaving a bad relationship
Have difficulty scolding or punishing others
Tend to be reserved about expressing their feelings
Perfectionistic tendancies may cause them to not give themselves enough credit
Tendency to blame themselves for problems, and hold everything on their own shoulders

Those are reasons I don't think she's an INFP.

Those are pretty misleading. There's a decent counter-argument for most if not all of the items on that list, especially when an INFP is under extreme provocation, which, one can argue, is the state we find Jane in almost throughout the novel.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Those are pretty misleading. There's a decent counter-argument for most if not all of the items on that list, especially when an INFP is under extreme provocation, which, one can argue, is the state we find Jane in almost throughout the novel.

Indeed. That girl's Fi-fueled Te came out swinging on more than one occasion during the course of the film.

Also, I recommend it. I just finished it today and really enjoyed it. :heart:

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't see INFP being as hard as Jane Eyre.

Heh. My copy is held together with a rubber band. The pages are falling out, I've read it so many times.

iwakar, what parts show the Fi-fueled Te?

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It looks like it's going to be really good! I can't wait to see it.
I was just looking at INFP characteristics here and there on the internet, and saw this:

Most INFPs will exhibit the following weaknesses with regards to relationship issues:

May tend to be shy and reserved
Don't like to have their "space" invaded
Extreme dislike of conflict
Extreme dislike of criticism
Strong need to receive praise and positive affirmation
May react very emotionally to stressful situations
Have difficulty leaving a bad relationship
Have difficulty scolding or punishing others
Tend to be reserved about expressing their feelings
Perfectionistic tendancies may cause them to not give themselves enough credit
Tendency to blame themselves for problems, and hold everything on their own shoulders

Those are reasons I don't think she's an INFP.

That sounds like an INFP description that leans towards enneagram 9 INFPs, for one.

Although the Jane Eyre does display some of those traits at times, depending on how you interpret them. Most people seem to interpret INFP traits on profiles poorly. They see "dislike of conflict" & they think the INFP is a people-pleasing doormat who never speaks their mind, when it really just means they seek to use diplomatic communication and are willing to compromise when a serious moral value is not a stake.

I would say I'm as hard as Jane Eyre, if not harder. I don't grasp why people think INFPs are softies....especially not if you've read Jung's description of Fi.

A good example of an INFJ heroine by Charlotte Bronte is Lucy Snowe in Villette. The contrast with that character & Jane Eyre further cements Jane as INFP in my mind.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Beautiful film! Totally in love with Michael Fassbender as Mr Rochester. ;)

I'm pretty sure he's INTJ. As for Jane, I think INFP is the most likely...or maybe ENFP? I know she doesn't really come across as an extrovert, but I thought she might possibly be an introverted ENFP simply due to her life circumstances. She constantly lives in vulnerable positions where she needs to protect herself. It's a long time since I've read the book, but in the film there is a scene where she stands at the window and talks about how frustrated she is that she will never cross the horizon that she sees in the distance and experience life in all its fullness and pursue all kinds of opportunities. THat moment seemed very ENFP to me, personally.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't think INFPs are softies from reading about them -- I formed my opinion from personal experience with them. I don't know any INFP who would actually lay somebody out. Maybe all the ones I've known have been extra principled or something, but they won't get down and dirty, because it causes them too much pain to be "mean," even if it's just saying the truth. I don't know any INFP and I don't associate INFP at all with Jane's outburst to Mrs. Reid. The way I see INFP is that she would have taken the high road and kept her opinions to herself. I think of INFP as thinking "Oh, she's dying, poor thing, how could I cause her distress? That would be wrong! I must be kind!"

Someone said upthread that Jane couldn't be Fe because what Fe would go along with Rochester when he was married. I don't see Fe as being conventional. It's just that Fe feels itself part of the group and defends the group more than it defends the individual. It did zero harm to the group she was in for her to marry Rochester, because nobody knew he had a wife. That's why she was comfortable.

She doesn't have any of the traditional INFP flaws. She scolds at will. She doesn't care what anybody thinks or consult anybody first. She has no problem giving herself credit (or blame). Etc., pretty much down the line.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't think INFPs are softies from reading about them -- I formed my opinion from personal experience with them. I don't know any INFP who would actually lay somebody out. Maybe all the ones I've known have been extra principled or something, but they won't get down and dirty, because it causes them too much pain to be "mean," even if it's just saying the truth. I don't know any INFP and I don't associate INFP at all with Jane's outburst to Mrs. Reid. The way I see INFP is that she would have taken the high road and kept her opinions to herself. I think of INFP as thinking "Oh, she's dying, poor thing, how could I cause her distress? That would be wrong! I must be kind!"

Someone said upthread that Jane couldn't be Fe because what Fe would go along with Rochester when he was married. I don't see Fe as being conventional. It's just that Fe feels itself part of the group and defends the group more than it defends the individual. It did zero harm to the group she was in for her to marry Rochester, because nobody knew he had a wife. That's why she was comfortable.

She doesn't have any of the traditional INFP flaws. She scolds at will. She doesn't care what anybody thinks or consult anybody first. She has no problem giving herself credit (or blame). Etc., pretty much down the line.

I don't relate to your estimation of INFPs at all. :huh:
I don't see those as traditional INFP flaws, not in the way you interpret them (and that list in particular is not exactly exhaustive or without exceptions). INFPs are highly critical of things which don't meet their ideals, prone to be loners in protection of their autonomy, filled with inner turmoil over their desires & ideals & reality, often calm & aloof on the surface, occasionally passionate in defense of their feelings, stubborn about their values & maintaining integrity, etc.
That sounds like Jane Eyre to me.

I've had outbursts with people similar to Jane's with Mrs. Reid. I don't generally consult people when making decisions (what in the world does that have to do wih INFPs?). I'll give myself blame, but credit too. It doesn't cause me pain to be mean to someone if they deserve it, etc.

Again, everything you say screams enneagram 9 INFP, and it seems Jane is a 4....