• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is Jane Eyre INFP?

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, I'm a 4 and an INFJ, so maybe that's why I think she is INFJ, too.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't see INFP being as hard as Jane Eyre.

Heh. My copy is held together with a rubber band. The pages are falling out, I've read it so many times.

iwakar, what parts show the Fi-fueled Te?

Welp, I tried to find clips on Youtube of certain scenes, but no dice. In fact, didn't find clips of any scenes, just the darn trailers. Move was just recently released to DVD, so maybe something will pop up? Might just be too soon.

Oh internet/movie hackers, I am very disappoint.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I downloaded Villette and read a couple of chapters last night.

And Amazon has this Jane Eyre available as instant video, so I'm off to watch it! Thanks for the recommendation! I never would have heard about this movie otherwise.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just finished watching the movie. It was so beautiful to look at! Although I warn you to keep the Kleenex box handy. It really made me cry.

Rochester does keep referring to her as otherworldly, and I don't think INFJ gets that description as often as INFP. I'm off to finish Villette, but I've got to Chapter VI already and so far it's all minute descriptions of other people.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think Mr. Rochester is an ENTJ, and INFP for Jane would probably make more sense for their match then INFJ would. Their dynamic reminds me of myself when I banter with a guy I like. I always make sure I cut them down to size and keep their ego in check, but in a teasing way :devil:

Never read the book, but she comes off INFP in the new film. I agree with Rochester as ENTJ. Like I've always said, for every poor ENTJ, somewhere out there is an INFP stringing them along. :(

Alassea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Well, I'm a 4 and an INFJ, so maybe that's why I think she is INFJ, too.

It's very simple Tiltyred.

Your experiences with INFPs clearly don't match up with us INFPs on here and we clearly cannot relate to it, but you seem to generalize INFPs as if your perceptions of us are facts.
But then you go on to say that you are an INFJ and related to Jane therefore she is suddenly an INFJ to you as one person?

You see the loopholes and hypocrisy of your logic?
You say that you have yet to meet a mean and hard INFP in real life who is not afraid of calling someone out (like how Jane did with Mrs. Reed.)
Well you are about to.

Although, now I see you have changed your type into INFP so I am rather curious about that.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Your experiences with INFPs clearly don't match up with us INFPs on here and we clearly cannot relate to it, but you seem to generalize INFPs as if your perceptions of us are facts.
But then you go on to say that you are an INFJ and related to Jane therefore she is suddenly an INFJ to you as one person?

You say that you have yet to meet a mean and hard INFP in real life who is not afraid of calling someone out (like how Jane did with Mrs. Reed.)
Well you are about to.

Tiltyred now self-types as an INFP based on the information under her avatar so ...

Alassea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Tiltyred now self-types as an INFP based on the information under her avatar so ...

So I've noticed and made an edit to my last response.

Did you wander by here coincidentally or how did you find my new reply so fast? :shock:

books

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx

Well you are about to.

Although, now I see you have changed your type into INFP so I am rather curious about that.

Agreed. Hopefully she understands the difference between Fi & Fe since 2011.

We INFPs have Te and I know it flares up for me when dealing with people like Mrs. Reed. Fi/Te can be a wicked combo when you get on the bad side of an INFP.

Alassea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Agreed. Hopefully she understands the difference between Fi & Fe since 2011.

We INFPs have Te and I know it flares up for me when dealing with people like Mrs. Reed. Fi/Te can be a wicked combo when you get on the bad side of an INFP.

Right?

As an INFP, I may be an introvert, but I am also sassy and sarcastic as hell and when pushed, I have no qualms against telling people I think are worthless off.
With Te, I've been told by ESTJs and INTPs that my temper is a thing to behold.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have always understood Jane Eyre to be an INFJ. Her strong sense of morality could be motivated by internal values or external social values. The otherworldiness is used to describe INFJs because of being Ni-doms. Her psychic moment of hearing Rochester's voice is a shallow connection to the idea of INFJ, but I'll still mention it. It's difficult to say for sure because the culture of that time had everyone rather rigid to social norms, so I don't know what an INFP would look like in that context. Jane Eyre does have elements of being socially normative and proper. She has a pragmaticism that is not quite the inspired dreamer and idealist. Her sense of reality is not as idealized as an INFP as far as I can tell.

"Sense and Sensibility" has the clearer INFP character: Marianne Dashwood
Anne of Green Gables is probably ENFP, but another example of the more idealized, romanticized, dreamer type of character that is different from Jane Eyre.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
On further thought, Jane Eyre's decision to not marry Rochester because he is already married to a homicidal maniac is a culturally derived value. She didn't come up with the idea herself. If she had gone ahead and married him because her internal sense of morality differed from social norms, then that would be a clear example of Fi. As it is, we can wonder if deep down it was actually Fi, but it stands as a clear example of Fe.

Sexuality and romance are some of the most culturally subjective kinds of morality. There are tribes where everyone has sex with everyone, so that every child is a child of the tribe and of equal status. If someone in that context wanted to have a monogamous relationship, and go against that social norm, then that would also be an expression of Fi over Fe.

cosmic royal

Phoenix Flame
MBTI Type
xNTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's been awhile since I've read the book, but she seems to vibe as INFP.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I did in fact change my type, based on suggestion from Vicky Jo Varner, who interacted with me on Facebook and was quite sure I had previously been mistyped. So now I'm fine with Jane Eyre being an INFP. :D

Gone

INFP for Jane seems correct to me.

Although, am I the only one who sees Rochester as an ENFJ? Comes across as NTJ first, but I think that's a facade.

Suaimhneas

I love Jane Eyre, it's my favorite book! I would say that Jane is an INFP. A question for those that think she is an INFJ: why do you think she prefers Fe > Fi?

elizabethmarie

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
In my opinion, Jane is a definite INFP. She processes her feelings deeply and internally. Her "calm and austere" facade screams Fi. As an INFP, I relate to Jane Eyre immensely. In fact, there is no other fictional character than I connect to as much as Jane/ You could, perhaps, argue ISFP for Jane when she uses Ni with her premonitions, but she is far too "otherwordly" and daydream-y to be an Se user. This article argues INFP for Jane pretty well: Jane Eyre (INFP) – MBTI