• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MBTI appeal of Death Note anime?

Do you enjoy Death Note?

• Total voters

Bubbleboy

MBTI Type
ENFP
Well, sorry to disappoint you but you will always see this in threads like this. You have to make some sense of it yourself.

I most definitely don't. Did you get the idea only because I think Light is an NTJ and you don't? That is pretty immature, you know..
I'm asking to be proved wrong with facts, and I'm not the one calling anyone names.

I probably wouldn't think that Rorshach is an INFJ if I imagined INFJs as cute and fluffy creatures, would I? The problem is, Light is a cold mastermind in heart and doesn't really Fe even those close to him. Rorshach is mad. Before something inside him broke because of the murder of the little girl, which is something he couldn't bear due to his empathy, he didn't even want to kill the criminals. Also, I haven't noticed any real mastermind tendencies in him. He only does what his morals tell him, plus he's paranoid and his plans don't ring Te, as Kiras do. He's also morally absolutely uncorruptible, which can be hardly said about Light.

By his own dark ideals, Rorshach is indeed incorruptible. So is Kira. Has Kira ever not been true to his vision?

And FYI, in fiction, NTJs are genius masterminds like, 10000x more often then NFJs.
That does nothing but make it more convenient to mistype him. But if you simply see my arguments as immature and take this personally, then let's end the discussion.

Well, but we're not talking about real life ~20 year old INTJs, are we?:coffee: Light is a fictional character, for God's sake. If I wrote a young genius mastermind like him, I would subscribe him good social skills as well, because he would be more dangerous and harder to figure out for others if he was like that. And extraverted feeling doesn't have to be faked by transforming introverted feeling into it. Social skills don't equal Fe. My ESTJ boyfriend, who really wants to be successful in life, knows that it is essential to make a good impression on people, and you bet he can be very charming when he wants to, even though his 'real' Fe is supposed to be his 'devilish function'.

Also, I think that Light is an ENTJ, and lots of ENTJ villains/antiheros are pictured with good social skills. I already named Veidt; Schneizel in Code Geass is the same type of villain, and readers/viewers are actually made to believe that they are both good guys.
Again, if you know know noone you'd type as INFJ I guess it would make it hard to convince you.

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
That does nothing but make it more convenient to mistype him. But if you simply see my arguments as immature and take this personally, then let's end the discussion.

I don't take it personally, but I did think some of your arguments were pretty out of place. Considering you don't see into my head and you don't know how deep my knowledge of MBTI is, it's not exactly fair of you to raise accusations like "you probably think that all NFs are social butterflies and all NTs are masteminds" (while the base of your own argument seems to be that Kira is too much of a social butterfly to be an NTJ...). You have to keep in mind that typing real people and typing fictional characters is a pretty different business. Fictional characters are more archetypal than real people and you have to follow the author's vision and see the connections with other fictional characters of this "type" if you type them. For example, Rorshach and Kira do have some similarities, but these similarities cannot compare for example to those Kira and Lelouch have.

Bubbleboy said:
Again, if you know know noone you'd type as INFJ I guess it would make it hard to convince you.

Well, I made quite a lot of posts in the threads I linked to, and I thought my examples there will be sufficient for you. But if you insist, then I'll write them again:

Amelie Poulain (Amelie)
Sara Crewe (A Little Princess)
Sethe (Beloved)
Anne Elliot (Persuasion)
Jane Eyre (Jane Eyre)
Sally (Nightmare Before Christmas)
many Nicole Kidman's characters
... Virginia Woolf (The Hours), the lady from 'Australia'...
many Cate Blanchett's characters
... Galadriel (LOTR), Daisy (Curious Case of Benjamin Button)...
Kathleen (You've Got Mail)
Miranda (Picnic at Hanging Rock)
Jesse Bentley (Winesburg, Ohio)
Ema Bovary (Madame Bovary)
etc.

If you've read The Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman, I think that Lord Asriel vs. Mrs. Coulter is a good example of an ENTJ vs. an ENFJ clash. But it's certainly not because of the level of their social skills.

Usually there's more of a disagreement as to if the characters are INFPs or INFJs, because the INF tends to be very prominent. INTJ x INFJ disagreement is pretty rare.

And if you still think it's just 'people throwing their ideas', read their arguments and make some sense of it yourself.

What exactly is your argument againts Kira being an NTJ? I wrote why I think your idea of "Fe" isn't really Fe, but you didn't react.

Bubbleboy

MBTI Type
ENFP
I don't know INFJs very well, but somehow Light acts how I imaged the darkest and most disillusioned of idealists. And I'm not as certain as you are, but I do need more convincing than most other posters will. I guess it may seem obstinate.

And btw thanks for making sense to me. My quarrel is mainly that Light doesn't ever seem like a villain. And I can't think of any INTJ villains who lack the clarity to understand that are in fact not heroes. If you put any other INTJ in his place, would the story be remotely similar?

I still don't get the part about Fe not correlating to his being devioushly well-mannered - he treats people a hell of a lot different than any other INTJ I've come across. Maybe it'll sink it at another time.

You typed Mikami INTJ as well, I take it?

But maybe the fact that he's so gifted that he appears to be "breaking" his type is why he's such a different INTJ. I don't know the INFJs you mention, so I'll have to read up. But picking through the threads here for scraps of insight probably won't serve, present company excluded.

:edit:
I think I have to follow that Hitler typology discussion to properly understand the difference between the two types, but you have made a good point. Thank you.

Last edited:

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
Ok. I'll take it as my homework to watch all the anime / read the whole manga, and then I'll come back and we can resume the discussion.;)

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
And assuming that all Fes are nice people is not stereotypical? Fe doesn't dictate hugging and kissing,

"Fe seeks social connections and creates harmonious interactions through polite, considerate, and appropriate behavior" Does that not describe L right down to the very last episode where he is cornered and perhaps for the first and last time exposes his shadow functions? He is acting well-mannered even towards people that he murder or plan to murder. Manners which is the reason time and again for L doubting Light being Kira. Because he doesn't suspect an Fe of being a cold-blooded murderer.
How old are you?

G

Ginkgo

I watched Death Note and I loved it. I confess that I'm not an avid anime watcher or manga reader, but Death Note was mature enough for my tastes compared to the Shonen programs that are shipped to the states.

The main hook for me was the questions of morality. How does a person obtain the authority or power to kill another? What precede before this happens? Inevitably, Light faced retribution for his actions; but he inflicted retribution beforehand. I found it interesting that he claimed the mantle of a god before committing his crimes.

The psychological strategies that were monologued throughout the whole thing were entertaining; and I often found that I thought quite like L. It's almost as if the makers designed the characters with MBTI in mind. L's thoughts are always similar to "If x, then y", Ti+Ne. Light focused on "This will happen, that will happen, I have a vision." Ni+Te.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
None of your business? ;)
Ah, so you are in quite young. Figures. I'd prefer it if you didn't argue with almost no evidence to what you're arguing about. It makes me greatly question your intelligence and I find it rather annoying. Light doesn't fit INFJ at all and if I were you I'd study more about MBTI before coming to such deranged conclusions.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Mikami is the archetipical ISTJ, and one of my favorite characters.
KAMIII! :D
Yes. His character certainly is quite intriguing.
EPIC-MIKAMI.gif

:D

G

Ginkgo

Listening to Misa made me cringe as if I was listening to a chalk board being scraped.

Bubbleboy

MBTI Type
ENFP
Ah, so you are in quite young. Figures. I'd prefer it if you didn't argue with almost no evidence to what you're arguing about. It makes me greatly question your intelligence and I find it rather annoying. Light doesn't fit INFJ at all and if I were you I'd study more about MBTI before coming to such deranged conclusions.

I agreed that Light might not be INFJ, but thanks to Oddity.

You calling me mentally deranged and immature and asking my age in attempt to find mud to fling is all evidence of how you must be older than me?

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I agreed that Light might not be INFJ, but thanks to Oddity.

You calling me mentally deranged and immature and asking my age in attempt to find mud to fling is all evidence of how you must be older than me?
No, it's the fact that it has to be proven to you Light is not an INFJ that makes me question your intelligence.

You would either be young or mentally deranged. You pick.

Bubbleboy

MBTI Type
ENFP
It wasn't proven, it was suggested just as I also merely suggested. I don't know typing that well, but Oddity sounded like she did. On the other hand, she didn't seem to know Death Note as well. But we had a discussion and I just didn't agree to begin with. She didn't call me any names, and neither did I. We had a discussion. But I see how you must be the mature one taking the high road.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It wasn't proven, it was suggested just as I also merely suggested. I don't know typing that well, but Oddity sounded like she did. On the other hand, she didn't seem to know Death Note as well. But we had a discussion and I just didn't agree to begin with. She didn't call me any names, and neither did I. We had a discussion. But I see how you must be the mature one taking the high road.
Yea, I suggest Light is an ESFP. Just any random mbti type for the hell of it. Now you have to prove me wrong. Over 80% of the suggestions for Light were INTJ. Were they just suggested? You don't suggest types randomly. You analyse a person's type and come to a conclusion for it. Do you think most of these people suggested INTJ for the purpose of merely suggesting? They analysed it first and any analysis of Light would definately not fall into the F preference. It's common sense. I'd sooner suggest Light to be an ESTJ than INFJ.

Bubbleboy

MBTI Type
ENFP
I asked for someone to clarify because I didn't understand what the INFJ's Fe was. I see my inexperience with MBTI can be confused for insanity, and I deeply apologize for making a mockery out psychology + anyone who even glimpsed at this thread. You won at The Internet and you are a better person than me. God I wish I was just like you.

Last edited: