• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MBTI appeal of Death Note anime?

Do you enjoy Death Note?

• Total voters

Bubbleboy

MBTI Type
ENFP
So basically Lights could be any number of types.
A corrupt INFJ - which would make sense since INFJs under stress will utilize their weak, shadow Si as a means of attacking others.
Yesssssss. INFJs are extremely rare, which is probably why so few tend to mistake them for INTJs. He certainly reminds me a hell of of Dexter (who could be little else than INFJ) than Dexter's brother (who could be little else than INTJ)

ISTJ - Duty bound, strong Si/memory, pedantic, relentless
No way. Most of the cops are ISTJ, and their pattern of thought are extremely different from his. He is intuitive to the bone, always wondering 'what if' and looking for patterns and patterns in his patterns.

INTJ/ENTJ - The classic "evil" types
The more people on his investigation team, the poorer he performs because the extraversion drains him. He works with people because he has to, not because he enjoys it or sees much purpose to it. An extravert would find it giving to share his workload with others, and even rely on their expertise.

Though as Light sees it as his vision and his brave new world, I'm certain he is an INFJ as you also suggested. He hides his feelings well, but he still takes everything as a personal assault on his great ambition.

In comparison, look at L -whom I think everyone agrees is a thinker- even getting punched in the face and insulted, and the discussion still isn't anything personal. With Light, everything revolves around Light and his ideals.

Last edited:

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Anyone who thinks Light is any other than an XNTJ needs to trip over a banana peel so they can bang their heads hopefully fixing their minds straight.

Bubbleboy

MBTI Type
ENFP
Anyone who thinks Light is any other than an XNTJ needs to trip over a banana peel so they can bang their heads hopefully fixing their minds straight.

If you don't care to explain, why bother with making yourself heard at all?

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If you don't care to explain, why bother with making yourself heard at all?
Me and many other people explained it countless times before in many threads of Death Note types on the forum. I need not explain it again. We had one say he was an ENFP before. Light is not an NF. He fits the archetype of the NTJ always using Ni and Te for his decisions. He has no ounce of Fe in him at all.

Bubbleboy

MBTI Type
ENFP
Where's the post that brings it to a conclusion? I don't see much resembling explanations, just people who are throwing out types without reasoning behind it. If there is an immutable conclusion, why isn't it visible?

Bubbleboy

MBTI Type
ENFP

You doubt that someone as hopelessly self-absorbed as Yagami Light is a feeler, but you doubt that he's an introvert? And you suggest that others should read up on their theory?

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Where's the post that brings it to a conclusion? I don't see much resembling explanations, just people who are throwing out types without reasoning behind it. If there is an immutable conclusion, why isn't it visible?
There are many other Death Note threads here. Read them. Anyone who thinks Yagami Light is a feeler after watching the whole show has mental issues.

You doubt that someone as hopelessly self-absorbed as Yagami Light is a feeler, but you doubt that he's an introvert? And you suggest that others should read up on their theory?
Actually I would say he is an INTJ. But certain arguments about him being extraverted make more sense than any argument calling him a feeler. Light is not a feeler.

Bubbleboy

MBTI Type
ENFP
There are many other Death Note threads here. Read them. Anyone who thinks Yagami Light is a feeler after watching the whole show has mental issues.
I can't find any real discussion that leads to that conclusion. Just people like you, who think anyone who disagrees with them must be idiots. If it's so obvious, why don't you disprove the stuff I laid out there? Or is that beneath you all the while challenging someone's sanity isn't?

Actually I would say he is an INTJ. But certain arguments about him being extraverted make more sense than any argument calling him a feeler. Light is not a feeler.
There are more arguments for him being a feeler than being an extravert if you bother to read the threads yourself.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I can't find any real discussion that leads to that conclusion. Just people like you, who think anyone who disagrees with them must be idiots. If it's so obvious, why don't you disprove the stuff I laid out there? Or is that beneath you all the while challenging someone's sanity isn't?

There are more arguments for him being a feeler than being an extravert if you bother to read the threads yourself.
Wow. Someone does have mental issues. Discussion? You need a discussion to come to a conclusion made by common sense? If you want proof he's not an INFJ here: I already said Light uses no Fe. He uses Ni and Te. Therefore making him an NTJ. You obviously don't seem to know about the functions. If you don't know about the functions I suggest you search it up. Light only cares about Justice. Not mercy. If I remember correctly this was one distinction between F and T.

Bubbleboy

MBTI Type
ENFP
Forgive me if you think I'm trying to attack you personally. I am "attacking" your theory, and I'm asking for rationality because I actually want to be proven wrong.

Wow. Someone does have mental issues. Discussion? You need a discussion to come to a conclusion made by common sense? If you want proof he's not an INFJ here: I already said Light uses no Fe. He uses Ni and Te. Therefore making him an NTJ. You obviously don't seem to know about the functions. If you don't know about the functions I suggest you search it up. Light only cares about Justice. Not mercy. If I remember correctly this was one distinction between F and T.

And what you see as signs of him being an extravert couldn't actually be him simply extraverting feeling? The main difference between Light and L seems to be that L is socially detached and unable to connect with people. But Light does it on several occasions - albeit as a manipulative tool.

I just can't think of any INTJs (especially as very immature as Light) who can just fake extravert feeling like that. Can you?

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
I'm sorry, but anyone who doesn't see that Light is an NTJ probably doesn't understand the archetypes behind MBTI. Sometimes one or even two letters are disputable, but not in this case. Ni. Future. Planning. Te. Cold reasoning. The end.

He's the same literary type as Lelouch in Code Geass, even though I suppose Light is an ENTJ and Lelouch is an INTJ, because Lelouch's Fi is clearly more developed.

Edit:

L is socially detached and unable to connect with people. But Light does it on several occasions - albeit as a manipulative tool.

But that IS Te. Faking Fe for this purpose IS Te. He's doing it because it's efficent, and Te is all about efficiency.

Bubbleboy

MBTI Type
ENFP
I'm sorry, but anyone who doesn't see that Light is an NTJ probably doesn't understand the archetypes behind MBTI. Sometimes one or even two letters are disputable, but not in this case. Ni. Future. Planning. Te. Cold reasoning. The end.

He's the same literary type as Lelouch in Code Geass, even though I suppose Light is an ENTJ and Lelouch is an INTJ, because Lelouch's Fi is clearly more developed.

Edit:

But that IS Te. Faking Fe for this purpose IS Te. He's doing it because it's efficent, and Te is all about efficiency.

What would you type Mikami Teru as then?

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It's as Space Oddity says. Understand MBTI archetypes before jumping to your weird conclusions. Light is an INFJ is certainly a leap. Most agree with either INTJ or ENTJ for Light.

Mikami Teru is most likely an ISTJ

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
What would you type Mikami Teru as then?

I confess I haven't seen the whole show or read the whole manga, so I really don't know, but I know the plot pretty well and I've seen enough of Light to be able to see the NTJ. It's not so hard, really. He's pretty obvious Ni+Te mastermind.

Many ENTJ villains/antiheros are good with people. I've just finished reading Watchmen and Andrian Veidt is pretty obvious ENTJ with awesome people skills. He wouldn't gain world domination is he didn't have good people skills. And he's even all about 'world peace' on the surface, but for him it's just a tool how to dominate the world, even if he doesn't 'rule' openly.

Bubbleboy

MBTI Type
ENFP
Who would you guys type as INFJ then?

I confess I haven't seen the whole show or read the whole manga, so I really don't know, but I know the plot pretty well and I've seen enough of Light to be able to see the NTJ. It's not so hard, really. He's pretty obvious Ni+Te mastermind.

Many ENTJ villains/antiheros are good with people. I've just finished reading Watchmen and Andrian Veidt is pretty obvious ENTJ with awesome people skills. He wouldn't gain world domination is he didn't have good people skills. And he's even all about 'world peace' on the surface, but for him it's just a tool how to dominate the world, even if he doesn't 'rule' openly.

I totally understand why percieving him as NT is the most obvious perception. But is it impossible that he's good with people because he extraverts feeling? Are all extraverts good with people?

Keep in mind that INFJs are probably the most rare of all types, but the few I can think of remind a hell of alot more of Light than the tons of INTJs I can think of.

:edit: On another note, before I say good night and retreat to my coffin, try and entertain the thought that Mikami is INFJ. Surely you must agree that an ISTJ could not possibly "fake intuition" and guess at Light's strategy time and again. Remember that Light failed because Mikami predicted Light's plans and acted on his own.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You are being stereotypical. That is the base of your arguments. I find it quite immature. And even then you fail on giving any sort of evidence that Light could be an INFJ.
Light uses no Fe at all. It's all Te. Do you find Light running around trying to get everyone to get along and hugging them making sure everyone harmonises with each other? I think not.
Have a look at this.
INFJs are gentle, caring, complex and highly intuitive individuals. Artistic and creative, they live in a world of hidden meanings and possibilities.
But the INFJ is as genuinely warm as they are complex. INFJs hold a special place in the heart of people who they are close to, who are able to see their special gifts and depth of caring. INFJs are concerned for people's feelings, and try to be gentle to avoid hurting anyone. They are very sensitive to conflict, and cannot tolerate it very well.
How the hell was light confused for being this?

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
Who would you guys type as INFJ then?

Give this thread a look:

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/popular-culture-type/25643-give-me-fictious-infj.html

Another one is here:

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/nf-idyllic/16507-fictional-infjs.html

To give you one example right away, Rorshach from Watchmen is actually a very good example of an INFJ anti-hero. But there are more female than male INFJs in fiction, I suppose.

Bubbleboy said:
I totally understand why percieving him as NT is the most obvious perception. But is it impossible that he's good with people because he extraverts feeling? Are all extraverts good with people?

Keep in mind that INFJs are probably the most rare of all types, but the few I can think of remind a hell of alot more of Light than the tons of INTJs I can think of.

Seeing him as an NT is so obvious because he is an NT.:newwink: He might fake extraverted feeling because it's efficient, but his actions and way of thinking don't correspond to that of an extraverted feeler at all. Yeah, I suppose that extraverts are very often good with people, and I've met both ENTJs and ESTJs who were very good with people, because it helped them to gain power. ;)

INFJs are supposed to be very rare, but actually, I've met about ten of them IRL to this day, and in literature they actually aren't that rare at all; they are quite a popular archetype. Perhaps Light reminds you of INFJs you know because INFJs often use their tertiary function, Ti, to communicate with others, whereas INTJs use Fi. ENTJs use Se, and that's why they're often confused with ESTPs or ESFPs IRL. But real life is different from fictional world in this respect - first two functions tend to be the most prominent in most fictional characters. That's what defines them after all.

Bubbleboy

MBTI Type
ENFP
You are being stereotypical. That is the base of your arguments. I find it quite immature. And even then you fail on giving any sort of evidence that Light could be an INFJ.
Light uses no Fe at all. It's all Te. Do you find Light running around trying to get everyone to get along and hugging them making sure everyone harmonises with each other? I think not.
Have a look at this.

How the hell was light confused for being this?

And assuming that all Fes are nice people is not stereotypical? Fe doesn't dictate hugging and kissing,

"Fe seeks social connections and creates harmonious interactions through polite, considerate, and appropriate behavior" Does that not describe L right down to the very last episode where he is cornered and perhaps for the first and last time exposes his shadow functions? He is acting well-mannered even towards people that he murder or plan to murder. Manners which is the reason time and again for L doubting Light being Kira. Because he doesn't suspect an Fe of being a cold-blooded murderer.

I already looked there, and I again just saw people throwing out names. The few that people unanimously agreed were INFJs I have no idea who are.

To give you one example right away, Rorshach from Watchmen is actually a very good example of an INFJ anti-hero. But there are more female than male INFJs in fiction, I suppose.
Rorshach rants on about cleaning up the corrupted cesspool that is humanity. He knows his ideals and ambitions are dark, but not as dark as those who are completely evil. Does that not sound light Kira to you? Sounds to me like you both think all NFs are social creatures and all NT are genious masterminds.

Seeing him as an NT is so obvious because he is an NT.:newwink: He might fake extraverted feeling because it's efficient, but his actions and way of thinking don't correspond to that of an extraverted feeler at all. Yeah, I suppose that extraverts are very often good with people, and I've met both ENTJs and ESTJs who were very good with people, because it helped them to gain power. ;)

If you think it's safe to assume that all extraverts are born with people skills, I have no interest in discussing further with you.

INFJs are supposed to be very rare, but actually, I've met about ten of them IRL to this day, and in literature they actually aren't that rare at all; they are quite a popular archetype. Perhaps Light reminds you of INFJs you know because INFJs often use their tertiary function, Ti, to communicate with others, whereas INTJs use Fi. ENTJs use Se, and that's why they're often confused with ESTPs or ESFPs IRL. But real life is different from fictional world in this respect - first two functions tend to be the most prominent in most fictional characters. That's what defines them after all.
As an INTP, L's auxilary is extraverted intuition. Both INFJ and INTJ use introverted intuition. L and Light are good strategists that come up with the same plots, but in different patterns of thought. I still can't think of any ~20 year old INTJs that simply take their tertiary introverted feeling and fake it into extraverted feeling.

Last edited:

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
I already looked there, and I again just saw people throwing out names. The few that people unanimously agreed were INFJs I have no idea who are.

Well, sorry to disappoint you but you will always see this in threads like this. You have to make some sense of it yourself.

Bubbleboy said:
Sounds to me like you both think all NFs are social creatures and all NT are genious masterminds.

I most definitely don't. Did you get the idea only because I think Light is an NTJ and you don't? That is pretty immature, you know. I probably wouldn't think that Rorshach is an INFJ if I imagined INFJs as cute and fluffy creatures, would I? The problem is, Light is a cold mastermind in heart and doesn't really Fe even those close to him. Rorshach is mad. Before something inside him broke because of the murder of the little girl, which is something he couldn't bear due to his empathy, he didn't even want to kill the criminals. Also, I haven't noticed any real mastermind tendencies in him. He only does what his morals tell him, plus he's paranoid and his plans don't ring Te, as Kiras do. He's also morally absolutely uncorruptible, which can be hardly said about Light.

And FYI, in fiction, NTJs are genius masterminds like, 10000x more often then NFJs.

Bubbleboy said:
I still can't think of any ~20 year old INTJs that simply take their tertiary introverted feeling and fake it into extraverted feeling.

Well, but we're not talking about real life ~20 year old INTJs, are we?:coffee: Light is a fictional character, for God's sake. If I wrote a young genius mastermind like him, I would subscribe him good social skills as well, because he would be more dangerous and harder to figure out for others if he was like that. And extraverted feeling doesn't have to be faked by transforming introverted feeling into it. Social skills don't equal Fe. My ESTJ boyfriend, who really wants to be successful in life, knows that it is essential to make a good impression on people, and you bet he can be very charming when he wants to, even though his 'real' Fe is supposed to be his 'devilish function'.

Also, I think that Light is an ENTJ, and lots of ENTJ villains/antiheros are pictured with good social skills. I already named Veidt; Schneizel in Code Geass is the same type of villain, and readers/viewers are actually made to believe that they are both good guys.