• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MBTI appeal of Death Note anime?

Do you enjoy Death Note?

• Total voters

meshou

MBTI Type
INXP
Just to butt in a bit, hope no one minds... But I have so MET a self controlled sociopath. This girl I knew was.... terrifying... and she could work anyone!! Scary...
Sociopaths are characterized by impulsively and lack of empathy. If they have self control, they pretty much are not a sociopath.

Maybe you met a malignant narcissist. Those are driven by guilt and powerlessness, and will systematically try to destroy the autonomy or will of anyone remotely close to them.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Could L understand Light so well if he wasn't the same type though? They strike me as being two of a kind, which is probably my strongest argument for L being INTJ and not INTP (I assume there's no doubt whatsoever about Light being INTJ :devil:).

Warning, Spoiler content

I think the major difference is that Light reacts far quicker then L does. Light doesn't pre-empt, he plans (he made tons of mistakes before being challenged by L, and even after, he makes tons. Only his plan is planned, and it's always absolute).

L deals with information in a very amorphous way. He links information from anywhere, and L is very playful, indirect (very much so when arresting Misa!). And he doesn't leap from theory to theory when everything still fits - he'll hold multiple open and evaluate constantly. The closest he got was when Light 'proved' himself not to be Kira... but even then, he ran two theories at the same time, even after one had been discredited. I don't find that very INTJ, or at least, not strongly J.

Sometimes I wonder if Light isn't more F than T... but yah, Light, with death note, seems to embody INTJness.

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
SPOILER ALERT!

L deals with information in a very amorphous way. He links information from anywhere, and L is very playful, indirect (very much so when arresting Misa!). And he doesn't leap from theory to theory when everything still fits - he'll hold multiple open and evaluate constantly. The closest he got was when Light 'proved' himself not to be Kira... but even then, he ran two theories at the same time, even after one had been discredited. I don't find that very INTJ, or at least, not strongly J.

Very convincing. :) I do find that well-rounded INTJs can juggle several theories at once and keep an open mind with regard to new data, but it is true that INTPs do it much more naturally. Also, L's purpose in life seems to be armchair deduction for the sheer enjoyment of it - sort of like a hacker. He doesn't want influence (like Light does), he just likes to solve problems.

Okay, I'm on the "L is INTP" bandwagon now. Tell that to your GF. ;)

Last edited:

Kirai

MBTI Type
INTP

L's main motivation is very subjective - he wants to catch Kira because the case interests him and it poses a challenge, not because of actual justice. This makes me think he uses Ti rather than Te.

Also, the way he acts and hold himself, the way he's so methodical and organised with his thoughts when his surroundings are a complete disarray are typical P - hence INTP.

As for Light - I don't think he's INTJ. Rather, he strikes me as ENTJ. He's surrounded by acquaintances each time we see him go social, he's not bothered by being around people the whole day - and most of all, his initial motivation to use the DN was to cleanse humanity, act as a messiah in a way. In the manga the whole 'I want to be God!' thing came much much more later.

Again, it makes sense for his dominant function to be T rather than N, doesn't it? Light is much to focused on changing the world around him - L is merely an obstacle (quite the opposite from L, who sees proving that Light=Kira as his goal and 'saving the world' as a side-effect. INTP and ENTJ are functionally opposite, after all.) From how I understand Ni, it would rather seek fulfillment of his goals for its own sake - or something similar to that.

From the ENTJ Typelogic profile:

Quote that fits them: "I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?"

and

TRADEMARK: - "I'm really sorry you have to die."

Really Light, imho.

BlackMita

Death Note is awesome; I’m still a few episodes in, just after the second opening replaces the first, so I haven’t reached the end. A good friend of mine introduced me about a month ago. The strategic craziness is very much addictive entertainment.

I think I’m siding with the opinion that they understand each other too well to be anything but the same type (in which case I’d both identify them as INTJ), although I can’t be too sure with L… I guess he could be INTP. I might explain more later.

niffer

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Fricking everyone I know is into Death Note, so I purposefully did not get into it, since the last time this happened, it was with Naruto (vomit). The bigger the bandwagon, the less appealing it looks to me. Perhaps a summary then, anyone?

Eva is one of my favourites, for the record. Along with Chobits, and Cowboy Bebop. I also liked Gundam Wing..and Cardcaptors (shh).

ferunandesu

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
4w5
Ah. Now I remember why I want a Pembroke Welsh Corgi.

flowers_ind.jpg

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Fricking everyone I know is into Death Note, so I purposefully did not get into it, since the last time this happened, it was with Naruto (vomit). The bigger the bandwagon, the less appealing it looks to me. Perhaps a summary then, anyone?

Death note is nothing like Naruto... I can barely watch Shippuuden... and I stopped watching after the manga ended. However, nothing you like is like death note either. I'd get the first 4 episodes of death note - you can tell if you are going to like it by then. It doesn't sit well with everyone, but it does have a following.

(Super condensed Summary: Bored Death God gives his Death Note to Light, which gives him the power to kill people.)

Nighthawk

MBTI Type
INTP
I tend to enjoy Anime, so I'll have to check out Death Note. I'm a big Cowboy Bebop fan ... although I'm not sure that qualifies as purist Anime.

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
As for Light - I don't think he's INTJ. Rather, he strikes me as ENTJ. He's surrounded by acquaintances each time we see him go social, he's not bothered by being around people the whole day - and most of all, his initial motivation to use the DN was to cleanse humanity, act as a messiah in a way. In the manga the whole 'I want to be God!' thing came much much more later.

Again, it makes sense for his dominant function to be T rather than N, doesn't it? Light is much to focused on changing the world around him - L is merely an obstacle (quite the opposite from L, who sees proving that Light=Kira as his goal and 'saving the world' as a side-effect. INTP and ENTJ are functionally opposite, after all.) From how I understand Ni, it would rather seek fulfillment of his goals for its own sake - or something similar to that.

I'm really surprised you think of Light as extroverted. He doesn't seem to need or be stimulated by people in any way - he talks to others only when necessary and is very self-contained. Regarding function theory, remember that Ni is powerfully backed by Te. First comes a vision (such as a world without criminals), then comes implementation and finally, recognition as God. :devil:

From the ENTJ Typelogic profile:

Quote that fits them: "I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?"

and

TRADEMARK: - "I'm really sorry you have to die."

Really Light, imho.

I think these two quotes about control and ruthlessness apply equally to INTJ (only the INTJ would not necessarily verbalize them). The difference is that the ENTJ Field Marshal is far more "out there" (visibly directing many people), whereas the INTJ Mastermind prefers to exert control from behind the scenes (directing a few key people in private... or writing names in a Death Note ;)).

Kastor

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
OMG I love Death Note! :D Raito is so dramatic in the anime o_O I'd probably kill someone writing like that (though I guess someone would die anyway, hence 'Death Note' :laugh: ) I prefer the manga, though.

The story is so astoundingly intelligent, I just love it. It's like 'reality meets myth'. What would likely happen if we found ourselves dealing with a major crisis like the Death Note. All humans are capable of using it for dirty deeds, so, who can you trust?

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Death Note

I'm not exactly sure this belongs under the heading "popular culture" but hey. Part of the fun of reading Death Note for we MBTI geeks is that many of the characters are stark examples of MBTI types.

Yagami Light: INTJ
L and N/Near: INTP
Ryuk: ENTP
Rem: ISFJ
Amane Misa: ESFP
Mello: ENTJ
Yagami Soichiro: ESTJ
Mikami Teru: INTJ
Takada Kiyomi: INFJ

(Note: Typing Takada, Rem and Ryuk was tough. Counterarguments welcomed.)

Minor characters who are more of a question mark:

Matsuda: ESFP
Mogi and Aizawa: ESTJ

Last edited:

Hypomanic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Death Noteeeee!!

All of the best characters are NTs.

Ryuk -- ENTP
Light -- ENTJ
L -- INTP
Near -- INTJ

Obviously the the maker of this series knew about the MBTI, as they chose my favorite temperaments.

What would the world do without us? :yes:

sassafrassquatch

I <3 Death Note. Does anyone else think that Light and L figure out what the other is thinking a little too easily? Other than that it's shiny.

Mempy

Mamma said knock you out
I think we're all pretty much agreed that Ryuk is an EXTP.

Yagami Light: INTJ
L: INTP/INTJ
Mello: ENTJ
Misa Misa: ESFP
Near: INTP/INTJ

Rem is a complete idiot. Probably an ESFP like Misa Misa, or an ISFP. I also always wondered how they knew Rem was a girl. It was like just looking at her they could tell, but I couldn't. I first thought she was definitely male.

Why were all the women in this series SO stupid? I loved this series, but that irritated me.

Other than that, I wish it would have gone on longer. L is by far my favorite character in any series.

I also wish that Light had had a vulnerability, or an emotion I could relate to. L appealed to me so much as a character because he did experience sadness, and he did see flaws in himself. He also felt a certain fondness for Light, and admitted that Light was the only person he'd ever come close to befriending. Light saw no flaws in himself, and I never saw an emotion other than fear and anger in him. I could not relate to him because he was never vulnerable or human. Sure, he was a psychopath, but even psychopaths have vulnerabilities. Maybe he was a megalomaniac. Anyway, he was an incomplete, unsatisfying character by the end of the series. He wasn't really human, because he never had the uncertainty or sadness that I think every human has.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hmm...must be an anime cartoon. I'm sorry I can't be of more assistance...