• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MBTI appeal of Death Note anime?

Do you enjoy Death Note?

• Total voters

Clover

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
I really did not care for it... I watch it occasionally when it comes on CN & I have read up to volume four, but I have not felt compelled to go any further. Of course I am a female, and the series is totally shonen... But that doesn't really say much since I like a lot of shonen, haha. I cannot really say why it doesn't appeal to me, but it could be the lack of relationships or pretty girls.

...Oh goodness, my nerd is leaking out. ):

celesul

MBTI Type
ENTP
I absolutely adore it. :wub: but I don't like the anime that much, only the manga. And the dub is not very good IMO. I saw it on CN after reading the manga, and went bleh, and refused to watch any more. So I watched Gundam 00 on my friend's laptop instead.

Uber, you could read the manga. It is really quite good, and I could definitely see you liking Light. Plus, no annoying style parts. I despise the parts in the anime with how they convey thinking. I realize that it's hard to convey it, especially how it is needed here, but it just seems silly. I don't think it works well animated compared to the manga.

Types:
L - INTP (he's a classic one. Very INT, weaker P, but still INTP)
Light - INTJ (Mostly NJ, weaker I, certainly T, but has some very oddly expressed F traits)
Ryuk - ESTP (he reminds me of Whatever, in some aspects)
Rem - ISFJ (I adore her. she does seem like a well rounded SJ)
Near - INTJ (NiTe. it just works)
Mello - ENxJ (I haven't read after volume 7 that thoughly, so I don't know Mello as well, but he seems XeNi)
Misa - ESFP

zarc

MBTI Type
Zzzz
As far as I can remember, there isn't a lot of flashing lights in Death Note, the series is rather dark. I think the animation of the series is a delight, but sure, if you are allergic to rough... You can see the first ten minutes of the series here (just to get an idea of the animation): YouTube - Death note episode 1 part 1

A live-action movie (Japanese) has been made, but it sucks. The special effects are just awful, and the acting as well, so you would surely dislike it.

The manga far exceeded the anime. Especially the ending-- but the anime was pretty good, they followed it very well. I watched some of the dub (some chars were better dubbed than others, though I only saw up to 15) and all of the sub. Haven't seen the movies but...what can one expect when they shove an entire series into two movies? Ah, such a waste...they should've made a live-action series, at least. :steam:

Last edited:

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I wouldn't call Light INTJ but rather ENTJ.

First of all, Light lost sight of the humanitarian goal very quickly, even in the manga -- this seems more characteristic of inferior Fi rather than tertiary Fi.

Also... I'd say he was likely an ENTJ that went nuts through isolation. Extroverts will wilt if they're separated from people for too long. Light may have locked himself in his room a lot, but it was also implied that he was popular with the ladies, and he talked and gained people's trust with ease. He was extremely pressured to succeed so he ended up isolating himself and studying. Because he was already in this state when the manga began, we're led to assume that he is actually an introvert, when by that time the damage had already been done.

As for the series itself... I enjoyed it up to about the seventh volume of the manga, and after that point I think it lost its luster. The new characters introduced weren't as good as the original ones, and as soon as there was more text than pictures, I lost track of all the convoluted plans. There's only so much suspension of disbelief I'm willing to hold when it comes to these things.

So, it started strong, and then it fizzled. It would have been nicer if it was the other way around.

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
I sorta think Lights is a corrupt INFJ. It's hard to tell because he has the Ni and Se, but its the F and T that are difficult to decipher. He is manipulative like an Fe but his passion is like an Fi, and he can remember details like a Te, but his deduction is quite Ti. I'll type him as an INXJ.

nzAShadow

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
INTP and loved it. GF is INTJ and loved it.

We argue over who is INTP and INTJ in the actual show... just for the fun of it. (L is INTP! I'm telling you, INTP!)

Of course L is an INTP... every plan he ever made was to get information, everything he did was to gain more knowledge about the situation.

Near's plans always assumed Light was the answer, so his plans were to corner him into revealing the evidence.

L was the one who figured it out, Near concluded, former is an introverted judgement function, latter is an extraverted judgement function.

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
Of course L is an INTP... every plan he ever made was to get information, everything he did was to gain more knowledge about the situation.

Near's plans always assumed Light was the answer, so his plans were to corner him into revealing the evidence.

L was the one who figured it out, Near concluded, former is an introverted judgement function, latter is an extraverted judgement function.

L is the epitome of every INTP I have ever known. Seriously. I wish I could find that kind of "archetype" for the other 15 types.

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
L is the epitome of every INTP I have ever known. Seriously. I wish I could find that kind of "archetype" for the other 15 types.

I submit Huey Freeman from Boondocks as the archetype INFJ.

Huey is a pessimistic and precociously intelligent 10-year-old who recognizes and detests the absurdities of the society in which he lives. A self-described revolutionary, his cynicism touches on subjects such as politics, religion, the media, businesses and corporations, and African-American culture.

The cynical idealist.

zarc

MBTI Type
Zzzz
^ Even though I haven't watched much, I wanna second that. For now-

He kinda reminds me of when I was his age, except less cynical (maybe)... !_!

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Miranda Priestly of " The Devil Wears Prada "
INTJ archetype ?

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I concede to Light being an INFJ
Fe is objective, Ti is subjective
Fi has values and such,
Fe is, to me, a lot more ruthless

zarc

MBTI Type
Zzzz
^ I can't see Light as being an INFJ. I used to, but eh, changed my mind.

Too much structure...he was overly rigid.. and he had an insane memory for everything (Siiiiiiiiiiii).. I barely recall what I did yesterday aside from sleep...Never mind all the details and facts from memory or that he had to work with....Hell !_!

Even before the Notebook warped him, if that was it truly, he just tried it out because he was "bored". I can't imagine an INFJ, or probably just myself, trying out a Notebook that claims it can kill anyone unless I already had a person in mind (such as a killer of someone I loved...maybe). He just randomly picked someone, albeit a minor criminal, to test it out on and then another person in front of him who was sexually harassing a woman for fun... As for his Vision, he wanted to build himself as the new God of the world, however invisible a god he'd become. I'd sooner set the system up and leave it after I'd achieved my goal-- if I really went through with it...

Maybe. Eh.

Overall, he had so many threads to control, way too many people and situations to look after, once he really had to worry about L, never mind Near. I can't see Dom Ni working that way. It'd cave in... :ninja:

Now... Miranda Priestly as an INTJ. *blink* I hope to recall it later... Hopeeeee tooooo.

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
That is a good argument. I could even see Light as an ISTJ because he did seem very Si dominant and ISTJs are known to be "thought police". Not to mention he was very much in the detective role.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That is a good argument. I could even see Light as an ISTJ because he did seem very Si dominant and ISTJs are known to be "thought police". Not to mention he was very much in the detective role.

Hi Kiddo
I've considered that,
and kind of agree

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
Hi Kiddo
I've considered that,
and kind of agree

What do you think? Is Light too difficult to type? You know what they say...if you can't figure them out then they are probably an INFJ. Kira seems so much different than Light Yagomi. I think it could even be argued that Light and Kira are two different people with distinct personalities.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What do you think? Is Light too difficult to type? You know what they say...if you can't figure them out then they are probably an INFJ. Kira seems so much different than Light Yagomi. I think it could even be argued that Light and Kira are two different people with distinct personalities.
oops

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

INTJ,or ENTJ
not so much an Fe perspective
too concerned with injustice and if someone was good or bad

scroll down to the inferior and tertiary section of Fi
Introverted Feeling
this is just a basic view
Introverted Feeling

Fe
Extraverted Feeling
Extraverted Feeling

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
^ I can't see Light as being an INFJ. I used to, but eh, changed my mind.

Too much structure...he was overly rigid.. and he had an insane memory for everything (Siiiiiiiiiiii).. I barely recall what I did yesterday aside from sleep...Never mind all the details and facts from memory or that he had to work with....Hell !_!

Even before the Notebook warped him, if that was it truly, he just tried it out because he was "bored". I can't imagine an INFJ, or probably just myself, trying out a Notebook that claims it can kill anyone unless I already had a person in mind (such as a killer of someone I loved...maybe). He just randomly picked someone, albeit a minor criminal, to test it out on and then another person in front of him who was sexually harassing a woman for fun... As for his Vision, he wanted to build himself as the new God of the world, however invisible a god he'd become. I'd sooner set the system up and leave it after I'd achieved my goal-- if I really went through with it...

Maybe. Eh.

Overall, he had so many threads to control, way too many people and situations to look after, once he really had to worry about L, never mind Near. I can't see Dom Ni working that way. It'd cave in... :ninja:

Now... Miranda Priestly as an INTJ. *blink* I hope to recall it later... Hopeeeee tooooo.

I can totally see myself filling out the Death Note and wiping off the scum of this planet. Plus I am more rigid and possess more structure in my life than all three INTJs I know. Light just strikes me as the kind of guy that has a high motivation for achievement, which is not restricted to any one type if you ask me. I personally do see him as a INFJ, but of course not a healthy one. I know that if I have a goal (i.e. to wipe the world clean of all villains), I suddenly gain a ruthless drive to reach it.

zarc

MBTI Type
Zzzz
^

Right. Okie. Good for you.. :blink:

I recall you mentioning how bad it was for you to recall info for school in one of your threads. For a class you weren't familiar with, right? In your Xian college, right? Fascinating and all, but it was hard to shove through all the info, right? And you tried your best to memorize but it was too hard !_!

So, how's your Si, hmm?

Even if yours is decent, or good, Light's memory was insane. From the get go. Insane-- And what of your recalling of massive amounts of details? :D And of people? (people would be easier, but perhaps exact names/faces might be a bit hard unless learned over time to better it). And you may have that ruthless drive, but would you think you should and COULD be In Control of the whole world, even at that point? That you are the ONLY one capable of doing it? He didn't just want to rid the world of evil or scum, he wanted to Rule It. :party2:

Also, what we know of him before he turned, he wasn't so social at all to begin with (right people? err). He just did his duty, did as was asked/required, and called it a night. It's just that it eventually became boring for him. Even if popular with girls, as was implied, he didn't encourage it. He was good looking, but used them as he needed them. And kept them in his pocket just for that, as he did later on.

Kiddo, I see ISTJ as well... my dad's one... his memory... @_@ He just recalls things easily. Drive to a new place? He'll recall every stop, every sign....w/o having to say it, he'll just know how to go back after years of not going. And he has no qualms with invading one's space to "inspect". Today, I just found out that he has a spare key to my bedroom lock, to which he opened it with while I slept last night, and I'm taking it back -_- Even though he's not outgoing, much, he is a charmer with others when he is out and chooses to be or chooses to be quiet. Or on the phone with friends, he'll control the conversation. Turns the phone off and right back to silence or reading/watching/eating or w/e. And he keeps up with all sorts of news, through the TV, newspaper, Internet. He just reads and reads @_@ and just doesn't forget.. Pedantic, also, but nevermind that.. He likes to know about grades, will talk to teachers as it's expected, etc. He likes to control everything, if it applies to him or his family zz (but I've helped him get over that over the years...at least, with regards to me..mostly ^_^'')

Freaky @_@

ISTJs will not stop once they have a cause. Will stop at no lengths.. and they can work for a long period of time as well... They also won't become emotional when confronted. INFJs, while cool or calm, I wouldn't think would exert such control in a similar situation. As messed up as he was, I'd see him giving himself away much sooner than he did if he were an INFJ.

He wasn't really idealistic to begin with, though. The whole "world is doomed" view. Only thing that changed that was the Notebook. It became more than a Muse.. to slate his boredom with and then his vision which was NEW. He never thought of doing it before then-- Once given the tool, he thought about it. If he were an INFJ, he'd probably have thought about it a long, long time ago, especially when confronted with his dad's work all the time or helping out. The "What if (I could change the world/I could help/etc)?" never occurred to him until then. If wrong about that last bit, correct me, my memory is fuzzy now qq

AvereX, I can't see him as INTJ. Same issue with INFJs with Dom Ni, except they'd be better with recalling logical details, however they won't recall it the same way an ISTJ would... same issue with crazy memory not being available to INTJs, initally or unless they learn to. And if I recall correctly, they aren't so keep on recalling details/facts as much as an ISTJ would. Dom Ni and all, it's all future oriented, and having Demonic Si...well... it's our weakest function @_@... so unless we learn, it won't develop as well. And I doubt that it'd develop that well as Light's unless we were put into a situation early on to nurture it. Light's life/situation was bland and boring, as well he just naturally had it. He was also a great speaker and had excellent communication skills, even so far as to be casual or come up with something on the spot. INTJs, while great with Te, might not be so when dealing with casual conversation (just for the hell of it, or won't even bother to, let's be serious... Why bother?! What's the point? :coffee: They can further their cause w/o that BS, unless desperate, but they can be stubborn about that...).

I'm sure someone mentioned ENTJ, either here or elsewhere. That's possible too. Maybe even more so than ISTJ? err Did anyone say that Yagami Sr was an ISTJ also?

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
So basically Lights could be any number of types.

A corrupt INFJ - which would make sense since INFJs under stress will utilize their weak, shadow Si as a means of attacking others.

ISTJ - Duty bound, strong Si/memory, pedantic, relentless

INTJ/ENTJ - The classic "evil" types