• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

mitch hedberg

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Whatever he is he's one of my favorite comedians ever. Love him.

Now that I think about it his humor is driven by Se.

[YOUTUBE="IueXtzdC6kA"]Mitch Hedberg[/YOUTUBE]

incubustribute

MBTI Type
ISFJ
That's the thing, NT humor seems to revolve around human nature. It's more likely that someone joking about amusing surface observations would be an SP, you think?

I think you may be disregarding the possibility that he's making fun of those surface observations. The thing is, his quirky little one-liners very typically have to do with the idea that humor lies in simple observations. But his comedic timing and phrasing scream N to me. I'm actually going to go out on a limb and say INFJ. I think the reason he's so brilliant is that he's learned to embrace his awkwardness around people, but if you notice, he always tries to endear himself by exposing his inner shyness. I could see it as an attempt to feel connected to the audience to try to gain comfort. Maybe I'm over-analyzing, but his little bizarre quickie jokes just seem more Ni to me.

incubustribute

MBTI Type
ISFJ
actually, now that I think of it, his observations usually revolve around changing the perspective in an unusual way to gain new insight. That's like the dictionary definition of Ni.

"I got a King sized bed. I don't know any kings, but if one came over, I guess he'd be comfortable."

"I was in a store reading a magazine, and the clerk said, 'This is not a library.' Allright, I will talk louder then!"

"Carmex is supposed to heal cold sores. I don't know if it does, but it will make them shiny and more noticeable."

I think an SP would notice these things, but wouldn't look into it enough to see the humor. It would just be a normal simple everyday observation.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
actually, now that I think of it, his observations usually revolve around changing the perspective in an unusual way to gain new insight. That's like the dictionary definition of Ni.

"I got a King sized bed. I don't know any kings, but if one came over, I guess he'd be comfortable."

"I was in a store reading a magazine, and the clerk said, 'This is not a library.' Allright, I will talk louder then!"

"Carmex is supposed to heal cold sores. I don't know if it does, but it will make them shiny and more noticeable."

I think an SP would notice these things, but wouldn't look into it enough to see the humor. It would just be a normal simple everyday observation.

A lot of it does have to do finding humor on classification, language, and wordplay which does tend to be a Ti/Ne thing. "When I grew up, I had a twin bed, and wondered where my brother was."

But like you said, he may not be taking the language approach, but more the "multiple shifting views/interpretations" Ni approach, and finding it that way.

I will say, that his stage presence completely lacks animation, and he was known to have crippling stage fright. Do SPs get stage fright? :laugh:

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Letterman is an INTJ.

You are probably right about MH. It's obviously SP humor & demonstrates once again that most people here are very, very, very bad at typing people. You can't get a much more obvious display of extroverted sensation in standup...

Completely agree. He was ISFP. The Ni that you all are seeing in the way he reinterprets common situations is tertiary...for instance:

Mitch Hedberg said:
I bought a house, it’s a two-bedroom house. But I think it’s up to me how many bedrooms there are, don’t you? Fuck you, real estate lady, this bedroom has an oven in it. This bedroom has a lot of people sitting around watching TV. This bedroom is over in that guy’s house.

But this doesn't show nearly as much as his Se. There's hardly ever been a more impulsive performer who lived purely for the sake of present-moment pleasure. Toward the end of his life he would ask his audiences for drugs and then take whatever they gave him on stage before performing. Talk about Se need for thrills!

INTP is silly. He doesn't talk about anything important or try to make any serious point about anything, ever. He also doesn't do very much in the way of that Ne wordplay you guys are talking about--he just observes what's going on around him, describes it literally and wonders why things are called names that don't literally describe them. Se+less pronounced Ni, duhhh.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Completely agree. He was ISFP. The Ni that you all are seeing in the way he reinterprets common situations is tertiary...for instance:

But this doesn't show nearly as much as his Se. There's hardly ever been a more impulsive performer who lived purely for the sake of present-moment pleasure. Toward the end of his life he would ask his audiences for drugs and then take whatever they gave him on stage before performing. Talk about Se need for thrills!

INTP is silly. He doesn't talk about anything important or try to make any serious point about anything, ever. He also doesn't do very much in the way of that Ne wordplay you guys are talking about--he just observes what's going on around him, describes it literally and wonders why things are called names that don't literally describe them. Se+less pronounced Ni, duhhh.

How do you tell the difference between Ni dom vs. Ni tertiary? Not disagreeing, just curious in how it manifests in different roles.

Edit: Now that you mention it, I don't think I've ever said anything important or tried to make a serious point about anything in 4500 posts either, HA! Uh oh...

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
How do you tell the difference between Ni dom vs. Ni tertiary? Not disagreeing, just curious in how it manifests in different roles.

It's not that the use of that function on its own reveals that it's tertiary; it's the influence of that function relative to others. There is Ni in his comedy, but it's dwarfed by the Se.

S

sammy

He was one of my favorite comedians. I can watch him anytime and still get a kick out of his observations.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
It's not that the use of that function on its own reveals that it's tertiary; it's the influence of that function relative to others. There is Ni in his comedy, but it's dwarfed by the Se.

I guess this makes sense, his comedy IS entirely observational in nature. Se identifies, Ni twists.

R

Riva

^ Agree.

Se sees. Ni twists. This is quite typical of introverted Se humor as I have observed (Si). ISxPs are masers of delivery. And in their humor Ni is quite apparent. (Mostly in their humor.)

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Ugh, yeah, I'd still say isfp.

Everyone else who says otherwise, see isfp Joey Ramone for comparison.

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
I guess this makes sense, his comedy IS entirely observational in nature. Se identifies, Ni twists.

I think this thread demonstrates just how far off the common MBTI understanding of temperaments is.

The common MBTI classification of S's is really that of SJ's. It may be because SP creativity is read into too much by N's, especially NF's. But we SPs do it for no other reason than that it's amusing to us, not because we're seeing some kind of underlying meaning or connection. Puns are puns, slogans are catchy and logos just look nice. Trying to find underlying abstraction in all of that just makes our heads hurt.

I don't see Hedberg as abstract in any way, shape or form. In fact he seems to very obviously be a creative SP. Especially since his jokes seem to distort meaning, not shed light on it.

We SPs make the best comedians, btw. And yes, the introverted SP types can get nervous onstage, at least and especially ISFPs, even though as a whole we are the boldest temperament.

Oh, and Letterman an ENTJ? Seriously?

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
We SPs make the best comedians, btw.

Awww but Carlin was ENTP!

And Richard Pryor came off as kind of ENFP with all his talk of social progress and stuff when he wasn't doing comedy.

What do you think?

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP

And Richard Pryor came off as kind of ENFP with all his talk of social progress and stuff when he wasn't doing comedy.

What do you think?

I don't know much about either of them, but it's definitely a possibility, especially with how you described Pryor.

S

sammy

What do you think?
Carlin was definitely an ENTP. Richard Pryor comes across as an ENFJ to me. He liked pushing buttons with hidden (and not so hidden) meanings, which can be an ENFJ trait, as well.

YouTube - George Carlin "Farting in Public" Back in Town [1996] (an open-ended joke seems Ne-dom to me. You start off strong, keep getting stronger, but don't always have a :drummerboy: ending).

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
He seems so smart.

Every type is smart, just in different ways. NTs aren't the only smart ones, y'know. :rolli:

Intelligence is more a matter of how hard you work at life, not your predetermined personality. :yes:

Killjoy

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
We SPs make the best comedians

Maybe the most entertaining in some ways, but best? Isn't that a matter concerning indivdual preference and not a universal truth?

I think the majority of Stand-up comedians are SPs (Since they thrive off the immediacy and mood of performing for a live audience) but majority doesn't equate to 'Best".

Koocoomoo

MBTI Type
iNFp
Enneagram
4w3?
Every type is smart, just in different ways. NTs aren't the only smart ones, y'know. :rolli:

Intelligence is more a matter of how hard you work at life, not your predetermined personality. :yes:

it was just. an. observation.