• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

songwriters/musicians

Fecal McAngry

I think it is mistake to try and type musicans by their lyrics. Creativity takes place consciously and unconsciously. They could be unconsciously tapping into their inferior functions when they write. We can't know. Better to look at their biographies, what is known about their lives.

Well, both are useful, obviously. Everything is useful. INFPs and INFJs have very different writing styles, for example; the problem for me is explaining to others exactly how to tell the two apart definitively, without using circular definitions, yada yada yada. I am pretty much infallible at discerning chocolate from carob, but Zeus help me if I have to explain the difference to someone who has tasted neither...Interviews, biographies are easier from that perspective...when someone types Kurt Cobain as an ENTP, for example, one can pull out oodles of quotes about KC and ask whether, for example, someone who was once described as "The quietest person in any room" is likely to be that type...And so on...

Of course what helps enormously is to be dealing with an intelligent conversationalist/debater...

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Yeah, we've gone over this before. The last two on that list are enfp and istj.

Gish

Which side are you on?
MBTI Type
PTSD
Way too many artists listed as intuitives, just because you like them doesn't mean they have to match your preferences.

Eye 'n' Teepee

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Way too many artists listed as intuitives, just because you like them doesn't mean they have to match your preferences.

The "most successful songwriter" (McCartney) of all time is usually listed as an ESFP. He's got to count for at least ten, no?

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
The first is correct, the last two are wrong.

Here's an interview with Ani, for example. What's that extroverted function? Is feeling extroverted or introverted?

YouTube - Ani DiFranco on Being a Mindful Mama

Admittedly, I only typed Ani according to how I've seen her typed here on the forums, not according to my own theories. It wasn't a definitive and well-informed typing.

TAmos, however, I get an INFJ vibe from. I could be wrong, but for the most part that's what I get. I don't really care enough either way.

Last edited:

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Frank Zappa is an ISTP. Hardcore.
I think eminem is an ENFP as well.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
As I said in NF thread, I'm not sure Billy Joel is ESFP. He's a bit different to the other ESFPs on the list, both in style and in focus. I do think he is Fi though. I'd probably VI him as ISFP.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'll concede after some contemplation
ENFP Ani DiFranco
ISTJ Tori Amos

i don't know istj pianists to be very improvisational or to compose much, although music might be a huge part of their life.

IntpB

J Mascis
I've always considered him to be INTP.

The T is definite, he says what he thinks with little concern for how it will affect others.

The I is definite, he is known for being fairly withdrawn and his guitar playing is very much about him and his instrument, definitely not about connecting to the audience.

P is evident in every interview he's ever given.

INTPs don't give a hoot about what others think about them (I am speaking with first hand knowledge) and only really bother to converse on areas of interest. They say what needs to be said but in areas of interest are quite specific and technical (and incessantly chatty).

I get into trouble all the time for coming across as rude and sometimes arrogant. I'm not trying to be rude but it's hard to understand how people can get offended when I am correctly answering the question they asked, or offering accurate observation on where improvements could be made. I completely identify with J on this.

Some of the arguments for ISTP have merit - the way he talks about his guitar - although as mentioned INTPs can be fairly specific and technical.

Most ISTPs I know are engineers, they seem very different in personality to J, perhaps it's down to being in a different environment. ISTPs don't do things half heartedly, they tend to learn all the details about anything of interest and become quite proficient at what they do. This could definitely apply to Mascis's guitar playing (although legendary is more apt than proficient).

He also often seems bored by the present, like he would rather be somewhere else - perhaps more of an N trait. Also he often seems suprised by the level of compliments he receives - Is this
an NTP trait - being out of touch with how others perceive you because you are too busy being absorbed by what you are doing? I guess ISTPs can also be out of touch with how others perceive them too.
Food for thought.

Kurt Cobain definitely seemed to have an INFP personality, no doubt at all.

I'm married to a very typical ESTP, can't see any similarities in personality with Axl Rose.

Emotionalogic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INFJ
thom yorke INFP
morrissey yep
stuart murdoch INFP
stephin merritt INTP
panda bear
captain beefheart INTJ. He was terribly bossy, clearly fi-te
jack white ISFP
mickael ackerfeldt
mike gordon
brian eno INTP
todd rundgren
mark mathersbaugh
sufjan stevens
ryuichi sakamoto
ray davies
joe strummer ENFP
alec ounsworth
george harrison
daniel johnston
brian wilson ISFJ
john cale
damon albarn
paul simon Definitely
feist
spencer krug
dan bejarn
john linnell
michael stipe
john frusciante
david gimour
leo kottke
john mclaughlin
leonard cohen
will shef

INFP
kurt cobain ISFP
jeff mangum Definitely
david berman
conor oberst And such an annoying one too
elliot smith
wayne coen
stephen malkmus INTP
kevin drew
joanna newsom
tori amos
jim morrison Yes
nick drake
van morrison
doug martsch
robert smith
cat power
jerry garcia
charlie parker No. INFJ
ira kaplan
mark linkous
shannon hoon
gram parsons
jonsi
win butler ENFP
kevin shields
ian curtis Possibly. Definitely INXX
syd barrett
sarah mclachlan
j mascis
simon joyner
john lennon INTP
lou barlow
jim and william reid
kate bush
bjork
fiona apple
alex chilton
robyn hitchcock
arthur russell
tom waits ISTJ
nick cave
jeff tweedy
jeff buckley Definitely
jarvis cocker
billy martin
david bazan

ENFP
marc bolan
devendara banhart
jenny lewis
patti smith :shock: ISTX
karen o ESFP
bob marley ISFP
freddie mercury ESFP
anthony kiedis ESFP
janis joplin No. INFJ
trey anastasio
ani difranco
tupac shakur ISFP
brendan boyd
chris martin Yes. :sick:
zach de la rocha Yes
john darnielle
shirley manson
dave grohl ESFP
james mercer
john flansburgh
joan baez
gwen stefani

ENFJ
billy corgan
jonathan richman
calvin johnson
kevin barnes Yes
bono And how.
robert plant
courtney love
alanis morisette
kim deal
cat stevens
jens lekman

INTP
lou reed INTJ
frank black
david byrne Definitely
kim gordon
thursten moore
isaak brock
elvis costello
beth gibbons
beck INFP
pete townsend ENTJ
andrew bird
roger waters INTJ
neko case
john zorn INTJ
richard thompson
ben folds
john patitucci
ben gibbard
paul banks
ray manzarek

INTJ
eminem Yes
marilyn manson INFJ
trent reznor Yes
iggy :shock: ENFP
frank zappa ENTP
rivers cuomo ISTJ
mark e smith Definitely
ian brown
cedric bixler-zavala
nick lowe
robert pollard
tom morello [Head Explodes] Definitely Not. ENFJ
robert fripp INTP

ENTP
les claypool
dan deacon
perry farrell
billy joe armstrong
bruce dickinson
jeff lynne
richard hell
mike watt
girl talk
nick hexum
weird al Obviously

ENTJ
jay-z INTJ
david bowie ISFP
siouxsie sioux
dexter holland
miles davis ISTP
ian mackaye

ISFP
bob dylan Yes
neil young
johnny cash ISTJ
mike ness
will oldham
bill callahan
m ward
jim james
sam beam
tom petty
ryan adams
patterson hood
mark kozelek
regina spektor
jimi hendrix
prince
john coltrane
michael jackson
eric clapton
ozzy osbourne
jon bon jovi
eddie vedder
gavin rossdale
jack johnson
chris cornell
joni mitchell
blondie
ben harper
jewel
lenny kravitz
ed kowalcyzck
adrian belew
dave matthews
layne staley
jimmy page
nels cline
sly stone
jimmy buffet
carlos santana
hank williams

ISTP
pj harvey

ISTJ
colin meloy
bruce springsteen Good One
sting

ISFJ
sheryl crow

ESTP
mick jagger (Yes)
johnny thunders
axl rose (Yes)
lilly allen
meat loaf
madonna Clearly
gibby haynes
paul westerberg Yes
chrissie hynde
bradley nowell
billy idol
henry rollins
mick jones

ESFP
bernard sumner
paul mccartney ISFP
elton john
billy joel
tom jones
pink
james brown
louis armstrong
bb king

feedback?

Additionally:

INTJ
Maynard James Keenan

INTP
Alex Turner

INFP
Adam Duritz

ISTP
Noel Gallagher

ESTP
Bon Scott

ISFP
Kanye West

ESFP
Liam Gallagher

Stevieguide

MBTI Type
Esfp
Hey anybody familiar with the band beach house? Just curious if anybody has any opinions on the lead singer Victoria LeGrand?

jamaikai

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
anyone know these people?

warren zevon

(lcd soundsystem)

I think Warren Zevon is INTP. He jokes a lot about death when he had cancer and has dark humour and stuff. That's not the only reason though hahah :D :D

He's monotone also. And that's your start package for INTP. On letterman he was monotone. He had a drinking problem, must be P!!! (Kind of joking)

I dreamt of Wiz Khalifa today(I sleep at daytime)(he's ISTP maybe) and Wiz was to serious and Warren is not that kind of serious, Wiz had weed in the dream :D :D

Now that I Presented that argument made it close to impossible to question his type, so I'm glad that's settled :D :D

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think Warren Zevon is INTP. He jokes a lot about death when he had cancer and has dark humour and stuff. That's not the only reason though hahah :D :D

He's monotone also. And that's your start package for INTP. On letterman he was monotone. He had a drinking problem, must be P!!! (Kind of joking)

I dreamt of Wiz Khalifa today(I sleep at daytime)(he's ISTP maybe) and Wiz was to serious and Warren is not that kind of serious, Wiz had weed in the dream :D :D

Now that I Presented that argument made it close to impossible to question his type, so I'm glad that's settled :D :D

I think you are right about the monotone voice and INTP!!! Good insight.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Weird that some people type Stephen Malkmus INTP. I thought he was a clear cut INFP.