• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Office [what types enjoy this humor]

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I've come across a few people that watch the show and just don't find it funny too often, yet I think it's pretty hilarious. Would it just be a preference that's not really entwined with MBTI or are there certain types that gravitate towards this humor and certain types that would more commonly not enjoy it?

LotsOfHeart

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I have an ENFJ friend who likes this show quite a bit. A few ESTJs I know like it too.

I always felt extroverts and/or thinkers tended to be more interested in this show...But all types enjoy it I'm sure. What I say is just my experience. I think it's funny, but I won't go out of my way to watch it either. Time is too scarce to be sitting around watching a TV show if you don't really, really like it, I say.

Decon

MBTI Type
INFj
Enneagram
9w1
From what I've seen of it, I think it's funny. But it's not like I watch the latest episode. Usually I'll watch it when my mom rents the season. Then maybe as I'm making dinner or having some, I'll watch an episode.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Some episodes I have found hilarious, a majority of it is just obnoxious tripe

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Everyone likes The Office. It attracts the lowest common denominator audience as well as more refined viewers.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I find it funny, though not hilarious. My kind of comedy is more along the lines of mid-90's Simpsons. An ISFJ I know absolutely loves The Office.

hokie912

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I love it! I do think the show is at its best, though, when slightly more subtly showing us the humor to be found in mundane office life. For example, there was a cold open last season where everyone is in a meeting, and rather than focusing on Michael (who, for once, thinks he has an audience in the palm of his hand and runs away with it), they're all looking past him to the DVD screen to see whether the bouncing DVD icon ever goes directly into the corner of the screen. Sometimes I'm more amused by things like that than the more obvious laugh out loud moments. The British series is tighter and better-constructed on the whole, since the U.S. team are having to stretch things to generate so many new plot ideas.

I also like the comedy/tragedy dichotomy. At this point, I'm invested in poor Michael, whose insane behavior stems from a pathological need for approval. Or Jim and Pam, who after years of bad timing might actually have gotten it right. The British version especially could turn on a dime and take you from being amused or outraged to existentially depressed.

I haven't really noticed any type correlations among people who like it (I like it, my INFJ friend doesn't, I know ESFPs and ESTPs who do, etc.). If I were going to theorize, I might say that very strong Fe users might find the uncomfortable humor a little too uncomfortable.

Wade Wilson

MBTI Type
INTP
I don't watch it but on the few occasions I have caught it, I mostly end up laughing @ Dwight. Like when Jim had him convinced he was a vampire, lol.

I never saw the British version but I'm sure I'd enjoy it more. Spaced is one of my all-time favorite series' and I cringed when I heard rumors they might be doing an American version.

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Well ricky gervais is an ENTP and admits every character he plays is like him a lot so i would say its really an example of an unhealthy ENTP.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I love it! I do think the show is at its best, though, when slightly more subtly showing us the humor to be found in mundane office life. For example, there was a cold open last season where everyone is in a meeting, and rather than focusing on Michael (who, for once, thinks he has an audience in the palm of his hand and runs away with it), they're all looking past him to the DVD screen to see whether the bouncing DVD icon ever goes directly into the corner of the screen. Sometimes I'm more amused by things like that than the more obvious laugh out loud moments .
I just watched that episode the other day. I too really enjoy the subtle humor found in the show. It's what makes it what it is, IMO.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The facial expressions are what strike me the funniest - and the hopeless dynamics.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I enjoy this show, but it isn't my favorite.

I can see how INTJ/INFJ would really enjoy the wry humor especially, though. They seem to be big fans of the kind of subtlety that makes up the fabric of this show.

The British one is even more dry. Anybody watched it?

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
The facial expressions are what strike me the funniest - and the hopeless dynamics.

Haha. Stanley, though not one of the more prominent characters is one of the funniest to me. His facial expressions (or maybe it's his lack of) and his really dry, downer attitude is a riot.

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
i like it, i think it is a very funny show. dwight is the best of the show for me, i do not know if i am laughing at or with him. he is ridiculous and sympathetic.

I love it! I do think the show is at its best, though, when slightly more subtly showing us the humor to be found in mundane office life. For example, there was a cold open last season where everyone is in a meeting, and rather than focusing on Michael (who, for once, thinks he has an audience in the palm of his hand and runs away with it), they're all looking past him to the DVD screen to see whether the bouncing DVD icon ever goes directly into the corner of the screen.

i am an S, and i did not notice that at all. what kind of crappy S am i? jeeze.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
i am an S, and i did not notice that at all. what kind of crappy S am i? jeeze.

I'm sure you did notice it if you saw the episode, or maybe just forgot it. During that bit, the camera flips to interviewing Jim and then Pam, talking about wanting to see/claiming to have seen before, the little DVD screensaver box hitting the corner.

dwight is the best of the show for me, i do not know if i am laughing at or with him. he is ridiculous and sympathetic.

When Dwight is moaning/crying late at night in the Beet farm bed and breakfast and Jim goes to check on him. :laugh:

Last edited:

amelie

MBTI Type
XNFJ
Love it, but sometimes find it hard to watch when it gets too awkward. Especially w/ Michael's more horrible moments.

hokie912

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I like the British version and, again, love how it's hilarious one second and makes me want to huddle in a corner and cry the very next. The British series is definitely darker.