• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

nba players

SuperFob

MBTI Type
INFJ
People often associate "tough, badass athlete" with ST. But, if you look at Michael Jordan, he was an ENFJ (in my opinion):

"Even when I'm old and grey, I won't be able to play it, but I'll still love the game."

"I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can't accept not trying."

"I never thought a role model should be negative."

"I realize that I'm black, but I like to be viewed as a person, and this is everybody's wish."

"My heroes are and were my parents. I can't see having anyone else as my heroes."

"The game is my wife. It demands loyalty and responsibility, and it gives me back fulfillment and peace."

Michael Jordan's approach to the game of basketball was clearly emotional and value-oriented. Not to mention that he described himself as a people-person quite often.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
^^Good points. Sounds very F. He has an extremely great work ethic, just like Kobe. Difference between Jordan and Kobe is that MJ has a lot of fun with his work, Kobe is more serious (not saying he doesn't have fun at all). This is where I think Jordan is a P, he always loved to mix the element of fun into his 'work'. He does seem like a people-person too though, and he had many inspiring quotations stressing values. Don't know, it's a tough one to analyze, seeing as I haven't seen him play in many years.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Kobe leads with Te. Listen to him at the podium after a big game. It's all Te with some humor mixed in. ESTJ. People say he's introverted but I don't think he is. Maybe he's balanced E/I.

SuperFob

MBTI Type
INFJ
^^Good points. Sounds very F. He has an extremely great work ethic, just like Kobe. Difference between Jordan and Kobe is that MJ has a lot of fun with his work, Kobe is more serious (not saying he doesn't have fun at all). This is where I think Jordan is a P, he always loved to mix the element of fun into his 'work'. He does seem like a people-person too though, and he had many inspiring quotations stressing values. Don't know, it's a tough one to analyze, seeing as I haven't seen him play in many years.
I can tell by Jordan's eyes, too. NFJ's have a very dreamy, head in the clouds look in their eyes that Jordan would always get while preparing for games or in interviews. SP's are almost always aware of their surroundings, yet Jordan seemed to live in his head more.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
Very possible. I thought he was definitely ISxP, actually was leaning toward ISTP, but he's either that or ISFP.

[youtube="PPk5l4Lefeo"]Iverson talking about his scholarship program[/youtube]

Struggling to find the words to match his emotional depth - ISFP classic trademark.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
What do people think of Kevin Garnett? ExFP?

Further thoughts:
Rasheed Wallace - ENFJ
Ben Gordon - IsTJ

Kobe leads with Te. Listen to him at the podium after a big game. It's all Te with some humor mixed in. ESTJ. People say he's introverted but I don't think he is. Maybe he's balanced E/I.

Don't know about that - he was unwilling to hang out with his teammates in his early Laker days, practices by himself, was not friendly with his teammates unlike Jordan (who was friendly with teammates). From a young age, he is always by himself, and chooses not to be with others. Kobe has a very classic IxTJ trait of being a very capable leader but yet being a well-documented loner. He's the one NBA player that I've studied extremely closely.

Also, like I said earlier, the Fi is very evident in Kobe. Some of the things he says, one can pinpoint to a high level of Fi. ISTJs tend to display higher Fi than ESTJs. Also, Si, when dominant, can be hard to detect in a person. The times when Kobe seems extroverted are for a greater purpose - he's a smart guy because has a goal in mind and he realizes the only way to reach that goal is to go out of his element a bit and be vocal about things.

[youtube="PPk5l4Lefeo"]Iverson talking about his scholarship program[/youtube]

Struggling to find the words to match his emotional depth - ISFP classic trademark.

Good one, that's the only time I've seen A.I. cry. He's a very passionate guy on the court too though. Not ruling out ISFP though, it's still a possibility.

I can tell by Jordan's eyes, too. NFJ's have a very dreamy, head in the clouds look in their eyes that Jordan would always get while preparing for games or in interviews. SP's are almost always aware of their surroundings, yet Jordan seemed to live in his head more.

Speaking of which, Lebron and Magic show that typical trait of scanning and being aware of their environment - and I've said that both are ESFP.

SuperFob

MBTI Type
INFJ
Speaking of which, Lebron and Magic show that typical trait of scanning and being aware of their environment - and I've said that both are ESFP.
Agreed.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I think that, when in doubt about someone being an istp or not, take a glance at their gambling history. Just saying.

Barkley I'm thinking, though, is estj.

LeBron is estp. Magic is esfp. Rasheed esfj. Garnett enfp.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm also curious -- what do we think Tiger Woods is? I'm leaning istp. I see a lot of Tim Duncan in him, so solve the cat for two puzzle pieces.

Then if Duncan's istp, the Spurs would make more sense since Pop is estj, Manu enfp, Parker istp. A delta-driven team with a few infp leftovers.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I think that, when in doubt about someone being an istp or not, take a glance at their gambling history. Just saying.

Barkley I'm thinking, though, is estj.

LeBron is estp. Magic is esfp. Rasheed esfj. Garnett enfp.

Barkley is ESTP. He also had a gambling problem, but when one watches him on the NBA on TNT games, one can tell he's ESTP.

Magic is ESFP, I agree. I could also see Rasheed as ESFJ and Garnett ENFP like you said.

But LeBron as ESTP? Not sure I'm convinced. I've typed him as ESFP because he seems very in touch with his emotions as well as important values (family, the game, etc.) when you hear his speeches (ex: the MVP speech). But then again I could see his potential Fe. Still think he's ESFP though.

Then if Duncan's istp, the Spurs would make more sense since Pop is estj, Manu enfp, Parker istp. A delta-driven team with a few infp leftovers.

I think personally that Duncan is INTP. As for Manu, he is likely far more ENTP than ENFP. Not too sure about Parker, but he seems more ISFP.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Michael Jordan's Hall of Fame speech (should give a clue as to his type):

Part 1 - YouTube - Michael Jordan Hall Of Fame Speech PT 1
Part 2 - YouTube - Michael Jordan Hall Of Fame Speech PT 2
Part 3 - YouTube - Michael Jordan Hall Of Fame Speech PT 3

On another note, after hearing Jerry Sloan's Hall of Fame speech, I'm convinced he's definitely ISTJ.

As for the other HOF members:

David Robinson - YouTube - David Robinson Hall of Fame Speech
ESFJ perhaps

John Stockton - can't find a link for his speech, but he's been typed as ISTP, and I wouldn't disagree at this point.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Barkley is ESTP. He also had a gambling problem, but when one watches him on the NBA on TNT games, one can tell he's ESTP.

Magic is ESFP, I agree. I could also see Rasheed as ESFJ and Garnett ENFP like you said.

But LeBron as ESTP? Not sure I'm convinced. I've typed him as ESFP because he seems very in touch with his emotions as well as important values (family, the game, etc.) when you hear his speeches (ex: the MVP speech). But then again I could see his potential Fe. Still think he's ESFP though.
Yeah, I completely agree about Barkley, really; I was just entertaining the notion of his possible jness because of his cold, sort of know-it-all demeanor. But yeah, I roll over.

Out of all quadras, it is Beta that is most concerned with family values, loyalty, and togetherness. LeBron is a private, cave-dwelling man who tries to keep it that way--like Bryant.

And if you subscribe to the notion that parents and their children tend to share more in common with each other than their last name, note the typical stp toughness in the 60 Minutes interview with his mother.

Not to forget to mention that as an intuitive creature, I've learned to recognize my dual.

I think personally that Duncan is INTP. As for Manu, he is likely far more ENTP than ENFP. Not too sure about Parker, but he seems more ISFP.
I agree with these assessments.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Assuming Kobe is istj, ha ha ha. I wish I were solidly convinced.

Stupid old me still thinks istp.

And I see Stockton as an intp (like Steve Nash).

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
[YOUTUBE="6EIN7_SQQDM"]LeBron and Magic[/YOUTUBE]

Interesting interview. I think it's pretty well established that Magic's an ESFP, and this demonstrates it well.

However, I'm going to go ahead and say LeBron's an ESFP as well. You might argue that he's acting a little introverted here, but here's the thing - Magic's one of his idols. It doesn't matter how big of a superstar he is, Fi is going to make sure you still act intimidated a bit around him. You notice how he loosens up when he "forgets himself"

Likewise, this applies to his media persona as well - having a camera on you since the time you were 12 years old will eventually get you to a point where you don't trust them all that much, and stay on guard at all times.

Besides, what's most telling for me is the question at the end about the kids - you might argue that it's just the persona, but his eyes say different - looking up and to the side like he's reliving those good times. And what ESFP doesn't want to be playing with the kids 24/7?

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Check out this video, with the NBA's stars behaving in a natural environment (backyard campfire):

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LelfrVbm4fc"]NBA stars chatting[/YOUTUBE]

Kobe Bryant is the one with the dark blue top. LeBron James is to his right, and Deron Williams is the one to Kobe's left. Chris Paul is the one with the red top. Dwight Howard is to his left.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The typings in this thread are some of the most idiotic speculations I have ever seen on this site!

I mean seriously folks, if you can't tell with someone like Michael Jordan if he's ISTP or ENFJ that's just sad.

I think the most interesting case of all though to analyze would be Kobe Bryant.

A lot of people seem to think Kobe is some type of ISTx, but I'm not so sure.

I just recently read a book titled, "The Kobe Code", and within it, I discovered that he's the most misunderstood superstar in the history of basketball.

He has this incredible vision of what it is he wishes to accomplish, this tenacious drive towards complete self-mastery, and an unprecedentedly powerful strength of will.

So what type do I think Kobe Bryant is?

Of course, I'm sure most of you folks probably disagree, and that's okay, just say why you think Kobe is something different.

S

Stansmith

Lebron: ESFP 7w6 - 3w2 - 9w8 so/sx

Dwyane Wade: ISFP 9w8 - 3w4 - 7w6

Michael Jordan: ESTP 3w4 - 8w7 - 7w8 sx/sp

Kobe Bryant: ISTP 3w4 - 5w4 - 1w9. Kobe comes off as more calculated and strategic about everything than MJ, whereas MJ was more of a balls-out, agressive, loudmouth winner.

Larry Bird: ISTP 8w9 - 6w5 - 3w4. I've seen him typed as core-6w5, but other players always described him as uber confident and authorative.

Chris Paul: ENTJ 8w7 - 6w5 - 3w4

Steve Nash: ENTP 9w8

Magic Johnson: ESFP 2w3 - 7w6 - ?w?

Kevin Durant: ISFP 9w8 - 3w2 - 7w6

Russell Westbrook: ESTP 3w2 - 7w6 - ?w?

Derrick Rose: ISFP 6w5

Rajon Rondo: ISTP 3w4 - 6w5 - 8w9

Dwight Howard: ESFP 9w8 - 7w6 - 3w2

Shaq: ESFP 7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7

Pau Gasol: ISFx 6w7

Tim Duncan: IxFJ 9w1 - 2w1 - ?w?

Charles Barkley: ESTP 6w7 - 8w7 - 3w?

S

Stansmith

The NBA barely has any Ne-Si users besides 12th string white guys who get rebounds in the last 2 minutes of the game.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It seems like, at least for superstar NBA players, the most common type on the whole may be ISTP, along with the types closest to it (ESTP, INTP, ISFP, ISTJ).

Lakers:
Kobe Bryant - INTJ>ISTJ>ISTP 3w4 sp/sx
Shaquille Oneal - ESFP>ESTP>ISTP
Magic Johnson - ESFP 7w8 so/sx
Pau Gasol - INTP>INFP 9w8 sx/so
Kareem AbdulJabar - INFJ
Steve Nash - ENTP
Meta WorldPeace - ISTP

Spurs:
Tim Duncan - INTP 5w6 so/sp
Manu Ginobli - ENTP>INTJ>ISTP sp/sx
Tony Parker - ISTP sp/so

Heat:
Lebron James - ESFP 7w6
Dwayne Wade - INFJ>ISFP>INFP
Chris Bosh - ISTP>ESTP
Ray Allen - ISTJ 6w5 sp/so

Celtics:
Kevin Garnett - ENFP>ESFP
Rajon Rondo - ISTP sp/sx
Paul Pierce - ESTP>ISFP
Larry Bird - ISTJ>INTP

Bulls:
Michael Jordan - ISTP>ISTJ 3w4 sp/sx
Derrick Rose - ISFP

Thunder:
Kevin Durant - ISFJ>ISFP
Russell Westbrook - ESTP

Grizzlies:
Marc Gasol - INTJ>ENTJ
Zach Randolf - ESTP

Clippers:
Blake Griffin - ESFP>ESTP
Chris Paul - ISFP>ESFP

Mavericks:
Dirk Nowitzski - INTP>ISTJ

Rockets:
James Harden - INTP 5w6 sp/so
Dwight Howard - ESTP 7w6 so/sx

Warriors:
Stephan Curry - ISTP>ISFP

Knicks:
Carmelo Anthony - ESTP
Jason Kidd - ISTJ>ISTP

This list is highly tentative. If anyone disagrees with any of these calls, I'm very open to alternatives.​

ScottJames

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ISFP - Rodman, KG
ISTP - Jordan, Kobe, Ray Allen
ENFP - Shaq, Barkley
ENFJ - Dwight Howard
ES?P - LeBron - leaning ESTP