• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

eddie vedder and bono

Starry

[MENTION=10082]Starry[/MENTION] i can see what you mean, because the reason (that i was telling you) i never liked pearl jam is that eddie vedder's singing always seemed kinda fake to me....kinda too much emotion/whining but not the authenticity/rawness of kurt. i'm not sure how to explain it, but it's a strong personal feeling that i've had for 20+ years.
however, i like the person and if you asked me to type him, my intuition would go to ExFP. so i'm like :shrug:

I relate to what I perceive as the state i am in's experience in this thread... maybe this sense of 'are you sure?'

I see things in Vedder that could possibly warrant a 'deceptively Fi-ish' label maybe... but like you allude to there's polish and control there. It's pushing boundaries within 'the safe zone'...which can get under the skin of those of us that live out our days under the influence of heavy doses of Fi...because it will be experienced as entirely fake (it ain't boundary-pushin dude until it's actually pushin-boundaries.)

I should say that it's not like I'm a massive Vedder fan for many of the same reasons you put forth. I'm just fascinated by this thing...this typing thing. To make matters even more confusing for me is the fact that my personal experience of the NFJ is already so far removed from anything I've seen on this site to begin with. In my world NFJs say...'You want boundary-pushing? Oh I'll see your boundary-pushing...and raise it to Evil-Overlord-Dictatorship.' <-Still, there are some common threads.

I have a Pearl Jam video on my wall right now and I'm struck by something that occurs in the very beginning of it. I know from all the history here that the video was filmed in the Paramount theatre...which is small and difficult to light...I guess for its MTV purpose haha... And you see Eddie asking to have the lights turned down... you can tell he is sincerely concerned for how bright it is on the people that paid money to come see the show. <-I know I would not think of that...and I don't think Cobain would either. If I was Eddie Vedder in those moments that would not occur to me to do. And that's the common Fe thread I see. Is it why I think Vedder is FJ? No. But it jumps out at me as something I can point to...behaviors that I see in my Evil-Overlords...that crossover into what we see in the classic expression of FJ.

W

WALMART

I was thinking about the song Jeremy the other day, in the grunge thread

and Vedder's type. These two songs are good examples of his willingness to display external emotion, as well as his propensity to convey a clear, acute message. For this, I would say SFJ over NFJ.

I really don't think Fi. Principles =/= Fi.

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I relate to what I perceive as the state i am in's experience in this thread... maybe this sense of 'are you sure?'

I see things in Vedder that could possibly warrant a 'deceptively Fi-ish' label maybe... but like you allude to there's polish and control there. It's pushing boundaries within 'the safe zone'...which can get under the skin of those of us that live out our days under the influence of heavy doses of Fi...because it will be experienced as entirely fake (it ain't boundary-pushin dude until it's actually pushin-boundaries.)

I should say that it's not like I'm a massive Vedder fan for many of the same reasons you put forth. I'm just fascinated by this thing...this typing thing. To make matters even more confusing for me is the fact that my personal experience of the NFJ is already so far removed from anything I've seen on this site to begin with. In my world NFJs say...'You want boundary-pushing? Oh I'll see your boundary-pushing...and raise it to Evil-Overlord-Dictatorship.' <-Still, there are some common threads.

I have a Pearl Jam video on my wall right now and I'm struck by something that occurs in the very beginning of it. I know from all the history here that the video was filmed in the Paramount theatre...which is small and difficult to light...I guess for its MTV purpose haha... And you see Eddie asking to have the lights turned down... you can tell he is sincerely concerned for how bright it is on the people that paid money to come see the show. <-I know I would not think of that...and I don't think Cobain would either. If I was Eddie Vedder in those moments that would not occur to me to do. And that's the common Fe thread I see. Is it why I think Vedder is FJ? No. But it jumps out at me as something I can point to...behaviors that I see in my Evil-Overlords...that crossover into what we see in the classic expression of FJ.

can you please send the video? or even other videos that you think could help us understand his type

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
oh pink here's the video on starrys wall

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
off topic but this is an old friends band...they always reminded me of pearl jam and my guess would be that zack (singer) would be esfj/p if that's at all helpful vibe wise.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i think enfj fits eddy and i think zack is esfj...similar but different. i don't know why i have to work that way....si i suppose? i have to orient myself from some place i guess.

also...i think i'm going with my original thought of esfj for ben harper too...whew...now i can sleep tonight.

Starry

[MENTION=5418]Lady X[/MENTION] - thank you so much for attaching the videos :hug: I don't know why but when I try to attach a video...my keyboard will keep popping up (?) Anyway, it's awful...and I appreciate this so much.

can you please send the video? or even other videos that you think could help us understand his type

pink - what would be extremely helpful to me would be for you to view all the Vedder videos in this thread...and write a 3 page essay on each one (arguments for or against ExFJ.) And attach a Haiku poem as well...just sharing whatever thoughts or emotions came-up for you while watching the particular video. Drawings and/or paintings on this topic are also encouraged.

I was thinking about the song Jeremy the other day, in the grunge thread

and Vedder's type. These two songs are good examples of his willingness to display external emotion, as well as his propensity to convey a clear, acute message. For this, I would say SFJ over NFJ.

I really don't think Fi. Principles =/= Fi.

I feel so happy in this moment... I get the sense that knowing the meaning of the word 'Principles' would make it far easier for me to understand your reasoning :wink:... But considering I have a lot of respect...or faith in your understanding of personality theory...I'm so glad you came back with this answer instead of ISFP. My confusion has lifted is what I'm trying to say. Thank you for doing this for me.

i think enfj fits eddy and i think zack is esfj...similar but different. i don't know why i have to work that way....si i suppose? i have to orient myself from some place i guess.

also...i think i'm going with my original thought of esfj for ben harper too...whew...now i can sleep tonight.

I definitely do the orientation thing...or I'll get no where /Ne
I haven't watched Zack yet...but I will.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
not to be an annoying flip-flopper, but i see ifp 9. definitely e9. see the e3 connection as well, but it's more muted, the way he establishes rapport is not as active and in control, more laid back, more flow, more passive. but also clear body type resistance backing that up. very grounded in bodily experience overall. his singing style is very physical, digging really deep into gut kind of energy, but doesn't seem to be as aimed at something, an image, an emotionally constructed, interaction-conscious message, as an e3 primary. also don't see Fe in that respect, not the symbolic meaning of feeling, but the raw data of experience. i can't tell for sure if it's w1 or w8, but i lean pretty strongly towards isfp 9w8 sx/sp. either way, you can at times see the switch go off, and the passivity disappears.

B

brainheart

@starry i can see what you mean, because the reason (that i was telling you) i never liked pearl jam is that eddie vedder's singing always seemed kinda fake to me....kinda too much emotion/whining but not the authenticity/rawness of kurt. i'm not sure how to explain it, but it's a strong personal feeling that i've had for 20+ years.

Yeah, same here. It's the same feeling I get with Bono. It's that dominant extroverted feeling feeling.

[MENTION=5418]Lady X[/MENTION], I don't know Ben Harper enough to say. Sorry. I can say, though, I think a lot of people are typed as Fi-doms that aren't. [MENTION=15886]superunknown[/MENTION] explains this well. Honestly, I think Fe doms and auxs are way more out there voicing their principles than Fi-doms and auxs, because Fe-types want others to share their principles. Fi operates more from the point of view that everyone's perception and circumstances are different. They have strong principles, and may dislike the way other's do things, but they aren't looking to change everyone's mind. They just want to live congruently with their own personal beliefs. Because it's an introverted function you don't see it as much as the extroverted judging functions. I think for this reason Fi can seem cold, reserved, and too inactive in changing things to Fe users while Fe can seem overly warm, saccharine, and preachy to Fi users. (Or, on the positive side of things, the two types together can create a nice balance.)

I love looking at these two people for examples in the differences between Fi and Fe because they are both fours and they are both sexual doms, and these videos show the differences incredibly well.

An interview with an INFP:

(He plays the song here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMJnxOGMSOk)

An interview with an INFJ:

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

ooooh :wubbie: how can you do that thing of posting a video of that lovely man without warning me beforehand? my heart went :wubbie: :D

ps. incredible, just incredible that they had him on that show. cause i remember that show from the 90s and it was sooooo maintream/pop. (the interviewer seems like a nice guy, not judgmental and trying to encourage him). also, gotta say, not all INFPs are that shy, that is specific to elliot smith. correct?

B

brainheart

ooooh :wubbie: how can you do that thing of posting a video of that lovely man without warning me beforehand? my heart went :wubbie: :D

I know, it's true. If I were to have a complete and total kindred spirit it would be him, down to his Ferdinand tattoo, one of my favorite books. (If you want a pure example of Fi, read Ferdinand :)

Hmm, shyness. I think most IXFPs will be like that in that sort of situation. I think interviews can be really hard for Fi-doms. It's hard to verbalize a lot of the things you are feeling or want to say in those situations, and they always seem to ask weird questions and don't give you enough time to think about it and give the right sort of answer you want to give. (You can tell he was still adjusting to the fact that Carson Daly touched him... and really didn't give him time to explain Ferdinand...) I know I would shut down- it's like what I do at the psychiatrist, ha. IXFPs can be totally goofy and expressive with the right people, though, and when the conversation isn't forced. Also, I know I won't 'share' with just anyone, you really have to be the right person. He actually seems pretty talkative to me XD

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think there is no way for Eddie to be an extrovert. You can hardly find interviews with him and if you are so lucky and find one, he is very reserved with talking about himself. In PJ 20 he said, he actually feels very uncomfortable infront of cameras. When PJ recodred their song "Jeremy" for a video, Ed said he hates to just show off infront of cameras and art for him is about somthing else. Plus if I can build on stereotypes, he in general seems as very shy and humble guy. For me he's ever been clear "I". It's hard to say weather he is a sensor, or an intuitive type. If I look at hees poetry and the way he expresses his thoughts and feelings via his music and art, I think it all seems very "NF" , but when I look at young Eddie crazy jumping around the stage, climbing everything around him and I can see all that energy and rage out of him, it kind of moves me into that idea he might be a sensor. Plus he doesn't seem as very "head in clouds" type... He is very down to earth actually, which is another one for S in his case. He's a clear feeler, helps people, participate in humanitarian porgams and concerts and fights for human rights... It's harder to say weather he does it because of his inner feeling of what he's doing is "right", or weather he does it just for the simple feelings of kindness from helping others. For me Eddie can be both...an INFJ and an ISFP... He could be an ISFP with greatly developed Ni, or an INFJ with greatly developed Se...

B

brainheart

I think there is no way for Eddie to be an extrovert. You can hardly find interviews with him and if you are so lucky and find one, he is very reserved with talking about himself. In PJ 20 he said, he actually feels very uncomfortable infront of cameras. When PJ recodred their song "Jeremy" for a video, Ed said he hates to just show off infront of cameras and art for him is about somthing else. Plus if I can build on stereotypes, he in general seems as very shy and humble guy. For me he's ever been clear "I". It's hard to say weather he is a sensor, or an intuitive type. If I look at hees poetry and the way he expresses his thoughts and feelings via his music and art, I think it all seems very "NF" , but when I look at young Eddie crazy jumping around the stage, climbing everything around him and I can see all that energy and rage out of him, it kind of moves me into that idea he might be a sensor. Plus he doesn't seem as very "head in clouds" type... He is very down to earth actually, which is another one for S in his case. He's a clear feeler, helps people, participate in humanitarian porgams and concerts and fights for human rights... It's harder to say weather he does it because of his inner feeling of what he's doing is "right", or weather he does it just for the simple feelings of kindness from helping others. For me Eddie can be both...an INFJ and an ISFP... He could be an ISFP with greatly developed Ni, or an INFJ with greatly developed Se...

Bono does all of the bolded, too, and he's an ENFJ. That said, Vedder is quieter. I think a case could be made for him being an IXFJ.

Starry

not to be an annoying flip-flopper, but i see ifp 9. definitely e9. see the e3 connection as well, but it's more muted, the way he establishes rapport is not as active and in control, more laid back, more flow, more passive. but also clear body type resistance backing that up. very grounded in bodily experience overall. his singing style is very physical, digging really deep into gut kind of energy, but doesn't seem to be as aimed at something, an image, an emotionally constructed, interaction-conscious message, as an e3 primary. also don't see Fe in that respect, not the symbolic meaning of feeling, but the raw data of experience. i can't tell for sure if it's w1 or w8, but i lean pretty strongly towards isfp 9w8 sx/sp. either way, you can at times see the switch go off, and the passivity disappears.

Haha! I like flip-flopping. It keeps things interesting and therefore never an annoyance. I'm actually glad you saw this as I wasn't sure if you would. It's good to see you and receive some updated commentary on this subject haha. And really now that I'm thinking about it...you were open to suggestions/input in this thread from the beginning and I hope I didn't inadvertently make it seem otherwise or that my understanding of Vedder's MBTI was influenced by what you originally put forth in anyway. I am the only individual that entered this thread with my mind already set...having been set on ExFJ from a time long before this thread was even created. I just demanded that one other person come forth and agree with me and with that - my work here is done :wink:

As strange as it may now sound to you I keep getting this impression that Vedder is 2w3.

I hope you are well. :)

Starry

Yeah, same here. It's the same feeling I get with Bono. It's that dominant extroverted feeling feeling.

[MENTION=5418]Lady X[/MENTION], I don't know Ben Harper enough to say. Sorry. I can say, though, I think a lot of people are typed as Fi-doms that aren't. [MENTION=15886]superunknown[/MENTION] explains this well. Honestly, I think Fe doms and auxs are way more out there voicing their principles than Fi-doms and auxs, because Fe-types want others to share their principles. Fi operates more from the point of view that everyone's perception and circumstances are different. They have strong principles, and may dislike the way other's do things, but they aren't looking to change everyone's mind. They just want to live congruently with their own personal beliefs. Because it's an introverted function you don't see it as much as the extroverted judging functions. I think for this reason Fi can seem cold, reserved, and too inactive in changing things to Fe users while Fe can seem overly warm, saccharine, and preachy to Fi users. (Or, on the positive side of things, the two types together can create a nice balance.)

I love looking at these two people for examples in the differences between Fi and Fe because they are both fours and they are both sexual doms, and these videos show the differences incredibly well.

An interview with an INFJ:

^brainheart demonstrating precisely why I called her to the thread.

For me...it's not the emotional displays but rather the sense of being strong-armed into sharing the emotion that causes me grief when it comes to Fe. I struggled with this repeatedly with my ex. Experiencing a different emotion/feeling differently/having a different experience or opinion = disagreement. And disagreement = your intentions are poor. Shit I just came up against this on the site. I truly hate this shit.
[MENTION=18559]Polly[/MENTION] - I'm glad you showed up as I should have called you and forgot. It's interesting to hear your thoughts.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=10082]Starry[/MENTION] i didn't realize you were already set. unfortunately my typing skills are just awful but sometimes i really really wanna know..

and don't worry about watching the other video..that was me thinking outloud. it's just a song so it wouldn't do much for anybody else i don't think. it is a good song tho :)