• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Freddie Mercury

lecky

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Maybe, but nobody can seem to explain why.

It's really hard to explain why, people usually want all the cognitive processes pointed out with specific examples. I just see him there, I know there are many INFP performers/artists, there is something about him that's more passionate and raw? He was amazing, sorry I can't provide much more insight, he seems to fit in with the many famous ISFPs...like David Bowie? I would say Mick Jagger as well but people tend to think he is an ESFP.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's really hard to explain why, people usually want all the cognitive processes pointed out with specific examples. I just see him there, I know there are many INFP performers/artists, there is something about him that's more passionate and raw? He was amazing, sorry I can't provide much more insight, he seems to fit in with the many famous ISFPs...like David Bowie? I would say Mick Jagger as well but people tend to think he is an ESFP.

Here's a list of ISFP stereotypes I stole from PersonalityCafe.

1.) Artistic
2.) Rebellious
3.) Animal Lovers
4.) Caring of others
5.) Too serious
6.) Romantic
7.) Loners
8.) Overly Sensitive
9.) Very Kind
10.) Pushover

Do those traits describe Freddie?

lecky

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Here's a list of ISFP stereotypes I stole from PersonalityCafe.

1.) Artistic
2.) Rebellious
3.) Animal Lovers
4.) Caring of others
5.) Too serious
6.) Romantic
7.) Loners
8.) Overly Sensitive
9.) Very Kind
10.) Pushover

Do those traits describe Freddie?

Those traits could define an INFP as well, but not always true. I am not sure about 3, 5, 10 for Freddie, but the other ones describe him, or what is leaked out about his off stage persona.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Those traits could define an INFP as well, but not always true. I am not sure about 3, 5, 10 for Freddie, but the other ones describe him, or what is leaked out about his off stage persona.

Here's a list of INFP stereotypes I stole from Personality Cafe.

1.) Cry babies
2.) Emos
3.) Suffers from Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome
4.) Non logical
5.) Romantic
6.) Accepting of others
7.) Dramatic
8.) Loners
9.) Socially deprived
10.) Was bullied in school

That is very different from the ISFP list.

1.) Artistic
2.) Rebellious
3.) Animal Lovers
4.) Caring of others
5.) Too serious
6.) Romantic
7.) Loners
8.) Overly Sensitive
9.) Very Kind
10.) Pushover

lecky

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Here's a list of INFP stereotypes I stole from Personality Cafe.

1.) Cry babies
2.) Emos
3.) Suffers from Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome
4.) Non logical
5.) Romantic
6.) Accepting of others
7.) Dramatic
8.) Loners
9.) Socially deprived
10.) Was bullied in school

That is very different from the ISFP list.

1.) Artistic
2.) Rebellious
3.) Animal Lovers
4.) Caring of others
5.) Too serious
6.) Romantic
7.) Loners
8.) Overly Sensitive
9.) Very Kind
10.) Pushover

Ehhh...then I guess according to personalitycafe I'd be an ISFP. I don't think that's an accurate portrayal of a healthy INFP.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ehhh...then I guess according to personalitycafe I'd be an ISFP. I don't think that's an accurate portrayal of a healthy INFP.

That's not the only INFP list, here's another one:

Hypersensitive
Self-obssesed
Emotionally unstable
Innocent
Quiet
Nice
Non-confrontational
Day Dreamer
Weirdo
Hopeless Romantic
Perfectionist
Idealist

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Maybe, but nobody can seem to explain why.

I'd say it's pretty apparent if you study his lyrics (I'd also be curious to learn John Deacon's type, seeing as he wrote a fair chunk of the best Queen songs) and watch him in interviews. His lyrics smack of introverted feeling and extraverted sensing. Look at his stage persona as well; people have a tendency to mistype him as an extravert because he was ALL OVER THE FUCKING PLACE on stage. No, this is pretty common for introverted performers--just look at Bowie and Michael Jackson (both also probably ISFPs). Mercury was Se all the way on stage--he knew how to work a crowd and he fed on their energy; just watch their '86 performance of 'Under Pressure' at Wembley and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'd say it's pretty apparent if you study his lyrics (I'd also be curious to learn John Deacon's type, seeing as he wrote a fair chunk of the best Queen songs) and watch him in interviews. His lyrics smack of introverted feeling and extraverted sensing. Look at his stage persona as well; people have a tendency to mistype him as an extravert because he was ALL OVER THE FUCKING PLACE on stage. No, this is pretty common for introverted performers--just look at Bowie and Michael Jackson (both also probably ISFPs). Mercury was Se all the way on stage--he knew how to work a crowd and he fed on their energy; just watch their '86 performance of 'Under Pressure' at Wembley and you'll see what I'm talking about.

So is an ESFP performer more introverted on stage?

lecky

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That's not the only INFP list, here's another one:

Hypersensitive
Self-obssesed
Emotionally unstable
Innocent
Quiet
Nice
Non-confrontational
Day Dreamer
Weirdo
Hopeless Romantic
Perfectionist
Idealist

Sorry, I know you must have a point...is it that I didn't give you specific proof on why I think Freddie Mercury is an ISFP? I am not sure why you are copy and pasting stereotypes of INFPs from another forum. Is your point that cognitive functions are needed to give a proper personality type assessment or you think Freddie Mercury is in fact an INFP? Or is the need to make small jabs at INFPs? I saw all positive traits for ISFPs and numerous negative traits for INFPs, and then saw a counter argument for him being an ESFP. You at first agreed ISFP because of his split persona. Playing devil's advocate?

It's known Freddie Mercury was very shy but was he shy because of all the fame...I don't know. It's known he was very reserved, private, shy in person and had a completely different stage persona. I am also aware of the difference between being introverted and extroverted and how they are not simply shy = introvert. We would all have to know him better, my best guess is ISFP. I could very well be wrong and I'm okay with that. :).

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Depends on the individual but probably not.

Right, because the ESFP introverts in other contexts. ESFPs love to be the center of attention and thus they are often labeled 'entertainer' or 'perfomer.' However, when Fi comes forth, the fun and spontaneous ESFP becomes rigid and judgmental, even preachy, when provoked by signs of social injustice.

But if Mercury was an ISFP, then why doesn't every ISFP appear to be an ESFP on stage or desire to be an entertainer of some sort?

The MBTI is a weak theory, and giving it a Jungian spin (as has been done over the last 20 or more years) doesn't take care of any of its flaws. Or where it does, it only produces new flaws.

The ISFP person can type as many Enneagram types, often as 4w3, 6w7, or 9w8. These e-types are psychologically conflicted and contradictory. The 4 is a quiet, unassuming, and socially introverted type, while the 3-wing seeks social success or achievement. The 6 seeks to merge safely with and disappear within a social group or ideology, while the 7-wing is more flamboyant and socially risky. The 9 seeks merger with an individual and is very devoted to that person, while the 8-wing is territorially expansive and seeks adventure, feeling held back by relationships.

The ESFP person, on the other hand, doesn't type as many different and contradictory e-types. That mbti type statistically correlates with 7w8 and occasionally 8w7, and only rarely with other e-types.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Right, because the ESFP introverts in other contexts. ESFPs love to be the center of attention and thus they are often labeled 'entertainer' or 'perfomer.' However, when Fi comes forth, the fun and spontaneous ESFP becomes rigid and judgmental, even preachy, when provoked by signs of social injustice.

But if Mercury was an ISFP, then why doesn't every ISFP appear to be an ESFP on stage or desire to be an entertainer of some sort?

The MBTI is a weak theory, and giving it a Jungian spin (as has been done over the last 20 or more years) doesn't take care of any of its flaws. Or where it does, it only produces new flaws.

The ISFP person can type as many Enneagram types, often as 4w3, 6w7, or 9w8. These e-types are psychologically conflicted and contradictory. The 4 is a quiet, unassuming, and socially introverted type, while the 3-wing seeks social success or achievement. The 6 seeks to merge safely with and disappear within a social group or ideology, while the 7-wing is more flamboyant and socially risky. The 9 seeks merger with an individual and is very devoted to that person, while the 8-wing is territorially expansive and seeks adventure, feeling held back by relationships.

The ESFP person, on the other hand, doesn't type as many different and contradictory e-types. That mbti type statistically correlates with 7w8 and occasionally 8w7, and only rarely with other e-types.

I don't know what to tell you. It's a weak theory, and yet here you are frequenting a forum where a large portion of discussion pertain to it, and you have at least enough faith in the system to list a MBTI type in your profile.

Still think he's ISFP

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't know what to tell you. It's a weak theory, and yet here you are frequenting a forum where a large portion of discussion pertain to it, and you have at least enough faith in the system to list a MBTI type in your profile.

Still think he's ISFP

I'm not against the ISFP theory, but I'm not being given a good reason to believe it.

You're focusing on "The MBTI is a weak theory" part, but if I took out that entire paragraph my point would remain. If Mercury was an ISFP, then he's certainly very different from my wife who is an ISFP, and from millions of other ISFPs who don't come off as ESFPs at certain times. Because the ISFP doesn't care to be the center of attention. But IF Mercury really was an ISFP, then his behavior isn't well explained by the MBTI. It is best explained with the enneagram.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not against the ISFP theory, but I'm not being given a good reason to believe it.

You're focusing on "The MBTI is a weak theory" part, but if I took out that entire paragraph my point would remain. If Mercury was an ISFP, then he's certainly very different from my wife who is an ISFP, and from millions of other ISFPs who don't come off as ESFPs at certain times. Because the ISFP doesn't care to be the center of attention. But IF Mercury really was an ISFP, then his behavior isn't well explained by the MBTI. It is best explained with the enneagram.

Fair enough. My wife is also an ISFP. She spent a good part of her younger years performing in theatre. She's generally a behind-the-scenes person but there is that spotlight-loving side to her.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Fair enough. My wife is also an ISFP. She spent a good part of her younger years performing in theatre. She's generally a behind-the-scenes person but there is that spotlight-loving side to her.

What's her enneagram type?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Assuming that's correct, my wife is 9w8 iSFP and has zero interest in performing.

Based on my (limited) knowledge, I wouldn't expect 9s to be interested in the spotlight.