• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Types of all the U.S. Presidents

Cinnamon Sugar

MBTI Type
INFP
Here's my attempt at typing the presidents. Some of these are mere guesses, while I'm of firmer opinion about others.

George Washington - ISTJ
John Adams - INTJ. Maybe INTP.
Thomas Jefferson - INTP. Maybe INTJ.
James Madison - INTX
James Monroe - XSFP?
John Quincy Adams - INTX
Andrew Jackson - ESTP
Martin Van Buren - ESFP?
William Henry Harrison - ESFP?
John Tyler - INTJ?
James K. Polk - ISTJ?
Zachary Taylor - ISFX
Millard Fillmore - ISTP?
Franklin Pierce - EXFX
James Buchanan - ESXP?
Abraham Lincoln - INTP
Andrew Johnson - ISTJ
Ulysses S. Grant - ISFX
Rutherford B. Hayes - ESXP
James Garfield - ESFX
Chester A. Arthur - XXFP
Grover Cleveland - ESTX?
Benjamin Harrison - IXTJ
William McKinley - ISFX
Theodore Roosevelt - ESTP
William Howard Taft - XSFJ
Woodrow Wilson - IXTX
Warren Harding - XXFP
Calvin Coolidge - IXTJ
Herbert Hoover - ISTX
Franklin D. Roosevelt - ESTP
Harry S Truman - ISTJ
Dwight D. Eisenhower - EXTJ
John F. Kennedy - ESTP
Lyndon B. Johnson - ESTX
Richard M. Nixon - ISTJ
Gerald Ford - ISFX
Jimmy Carter - ISFJ. Maybe INFJ.
Ronald Reagan - ESFP
George H.W. Bush - ISTJ. Maybe ISFJ.
Bill Clinton - ESFP
George W. Bush - ESXP

Comments? Dissenting opinions?

heart

heart on fire
I become convinced John Adams is S. I say he seems more STJ than anything else

John Quincy Adams INTP

Jefferson definately Ni dom.

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
jefferson was an ENTP :rolli:

i don't know many of the others (i'm not american), but after reading the descriptions about jefferson, he couldn't be anything else. an inventor through and through.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

i don't know many of the others (i'm not american), but after reading the descriptions about jefferson, he couldn't be anything else. an inventor through and through.

Inventor =/= ENTP.

In my opinion the only way to really accurately type these people is to go back in time and meet them. Good luck with that.

heart

heart on fire

No one who ever read a biolography or any descriptions of Jefferson's behavior from his contemporaries could ever, in a million years think he was an E.

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
Inventor =/= ENTP.

In my opinion the only way to really accurately type these people is to go back in time and meet them. Good luck with that.

oh sure. and even then you'd have to take into account the flawed system of MBTI and how technically, his functions could be in a different order than described. the question is how far are you willing to go?

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Okay, there seems to be this weird thing concerning Grant.

Whenever I see typings of General Grant, he's an INTJ, however whenever I see typings of President Grant, he's and ISFP.

Did he get hit on the head really hard between the two careers? Because that's kind of a drastic change.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
oh sure. and even then you'd have to take into account the flawed system of MBTI and how technically, his functions could be in a different order than described. the question is how far are you willing to go?

Not far enough to get in this same debate that will derail this thread along with the 234978238947523894 others that this "other function order" idea has been brought up in. :coffee:

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
No one who ever read a biolography or any descriptions of Jefferson's behavior from his contemporaries could ever, in a million years think he was an E.

what exactly is extroversion to you? that he seeks out other people to talk to? that he needs to be with other people? in MBTI functions, extro/introversion is tied to a function, and the outcome of that function determines whether the person is introvert or extrovert; NOT what contemporaries thought he was and NOT whether he sought out other people.

heart

heart on fire

If you want to type him under a different personality system that's fine, but under MBTI there's no way he was ENTP.

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
If you want to type him under a different personality system that's fine, but under MBTI there's no way he was ENTP.

i'm typing him under MBTI as ENTP. i haven't been referring to another system in this thread.

Cinnamon Sugar

MBTI Type
INFP
Okay, there seems to be this weird thing concerning Grant.

Whenever I see typings of General Grant, he's an INTJ, however whenever I see typings of President Grant, he's and ISFP.

Did he get hit on the head really hard between the two careers? Because that's kind of a drastic change.

Apparently, despite being famous for his military career as well as his presidency, he was a fairly gentle, kindly person. Of course, being gentle and kind doesn't exclude one from being INTJ - ISFX is just my rather haphazard guess.

heart

heart on fire

I don't often make comments like this but: Why can't you just make one master thread for debating the whole issue of MBTI as a whole and not derail threads like this? :huh:

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Apparently, despite being famous for his military career as well as his presidency, he was a fairly gentle, kindly person. Of course, being gentle and kind doesn't exclude one from being INTJ - ISFX is just my rather haphazard guess.

I just found it odd... considering he was a competent general but generally remembered as an incompetent president because of all the corruption he tolerated, so I thought there might be some underlying bias. :doh:

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
Reasoning behind E?

http://keirsey.com/handler.aspx?s=keirsey&f=fourtemps&tab=5&c=jefferson

In his college years at William and Mary he studied philosophy, the literary classics and mathematics, and the law. He was deeply engrossed in his studies and could at any time, as one of his classmate recalled, "tear himself away from his dearest friends and fly to his studies."

Ne

Jefferson's thinking had a terrible intensity and he guarded his private world carefully so that others rarely had access to it. Yet he longed for friends and, at least in his youth, found some time to enjoy a reasonably outgoing and cheerful social life.

extraversion

He had an unending fascination with philosophy, political and economic theory, architecture, inventions, science and technology. He single-handedly designed and founded the University of Virginia, was the architect for his own home, Monticello, and for the homes of a number of his friends; he also studied a half dozen languages, some mathematics, astronomy, surveying, botany and zoology, and became successful as a lawyer, farmer, philosopher, political scientist, writer, scientist, musician, and inventor.

Ne > Ti

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
I don't often make comments like this but: Why can't you just make one master thread for debating the whole issue of MBTI as a whole and not derail threads like this? :huh:

because i love to piss off people. why can't you put reason behind your statements instead of just saying "x isn't y"?

i made the response because blackcat started the derailing. but you're right, i should not have replied to the troll in the first place.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Jefferson's thinking had a terrible intensity and he guarded his private world carefully so that others rarely had access to it. Yet he longed for friends and, at least in his youth, found some time to enjoy a reasonably outgoing and cheerful social life.

Eh this doesn't mean E. I love having a social life.

heart

heart on fire
Jefferson is often described as:

Never blunt or assertive
Almost always appealingly gracious
Always bearing a slight ambiguousness about his positions
abhorred dispute
polite, soft spoken, diplomatic
In Congress he often let Madison or Monroe do his speaking/debating for him.
Very little sense of humor
"sparkled" in private conversation
Trouble with over spending
Hid from unpleasant truths
Could be hypocritical
Could be vindictive
He kept detailed records of all his spending but never used this data to adequately control his spending

How many ENTP would ever be desrcibed by others as abhorring dispute?