• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Types of Quintessential Ethnicities

The Pascuzzi

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1bw
Hey, everyone. I haven't posted here in a while. I've been playing around with this topic in my mind lately and I thought this would be a good place to post it.

I'm Filipino and, like many other Filipinos, I'm very proud of that fact. Add being an INTJ into the mix and the result is that I think about my Filipino-ness a lot, especially about what a Filipino is and what a Filipino can be. It's been at a point where it's very easy to envision a "quintessential Filipino," a character that embodies all of the culturally-influenced behaviors and even some of the admittedly more justifiable stereotypes associated with the Filipino ethnicity.

I've tried to assign a type to this character; I think ENFJ captures it best. I'm sold on it being at least an EF. Filipinos in and out of their own ethnic communities are known for being warm, personable people. I'd bet N because the quintessential Filipino tends to be dreamy, definitely in the vein of an NF idealist. The quintessential Filipino also tends to be motivated to act on behalf of or for the benefit of others. They will often take the cause of another to heart, even if they do not directly benefit from the success of that cause. From what I gather, this is a very ENFJ thing to do.

Of course, reality isn't so simple. People will be who they are, giving into and regardless of cultural influence. Nevertheless, I'm curious to see if any of you out there have had similar musings about your own ethnicities. If you had to describe your ethnicity as a certain type, which one would it be and why? And for all my fellow Filipinos and Filipinas on this forum, what do you think about a quintessential Filipino character being described as an ENFJ? Would you classify your vision of this character differently?

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
OP.

Sir, are srsly suggesting that stereotype reinforcement has any validity?

The very idea of a "quintessential Filipino" is a thoroughly limiting concept.

You should remember that everything has a flip side. Do you consider it more likely that positive stereotypes (which I assume you would embrace) or negative ones (which you are likely to reject) would emerge from the MBTI soup?

If you feel that "more justifiable stereotypes" is an acceptable turn of phrase, may I recommend you avoid parts of the US & Europe where the locals wholeheartily agree with you and keep several Filipino maids as evidence of their approval.

All the best.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
wut in tarnation is a quintessential ethnicity?

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
man, you're such a hypocrite. bashing my thread then being benign to a thread with a similar semantic.

for shame. :rolli:

Aw, okay.

All the best to you too.

Actually, the "similar semantic" is not similar enough to draw a conclusion as to the reasons for the methodology of the critique; moreover you were not party to any extra communication that may (or may not) counter your assertion of hypocricy.

But you're right. I am a complete hypocrite. But that's incidental :newwink:

LunarMoon

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
I'm really not sure what this thread is trying to measure, either. If we're trying to say that a particular ethnic group is culturally similar to an MBTI type then you'll be hard pressed to find one that's Intuitive since the vast majority of people worldwide are Sensors. A genuinely INFJ culture, for instance, would be non-existent. If you're trying to say that certain ethnic bloodlines predispose to certain personality types, the purest of sort being the "quintessential",then I think we need to back peddle to basic genetics and bring up how low human genetic variability is. We've barely existed for six million years; there's hardly enough difference between different races to predispose one to be INFP while the other is ESTJ.
White. ENTJ. We like to hold the reigns
Really now.:shock:

MBTI Type
INFP
I think what the original poster is trying to accomplish is the following:

Nations can have identities and prized characteristics without that nation or any of its inhabitants requiring every individual in that state to subscribe to that identity. Every country, every religion, every "club" in the world is subject to questioning what forms its identity. It's not about creating or exploding stereotypes at this level, it's merely about identifying them.

LunarMoon

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
I think what the original poster is trying to accomplish is the following:

Nations can have identities and prized characteristics without that nation or any of its inhabitants requiring every individual in that state to subscribe to that identity. Every country, every religion, every "club" in the world is subject to questioning what forms its identity. It's not about creating or exploding stereotypes at this level, it's merely about identifying them.
That makes sense. So German society which values punctuality, stringent regulations, direct communication, and overbearing logical thought would be very xSTJ in its culture. It's a lot harder to type sub-cultures such as that of the Italian Americans, however....I still argue that overwhelmingly Intuitive cultures would be rare.

MBTI Type
INFP
That makes sense. So German society which values punctuality, stringent regulations, direct communication, and overbearing logical thought would be very xSTJ in its culture. It's a lot harder to type sub-cultures such as that of the Italian Americans, however....I still argue that overwhelmingly Intuitive cultures would be rare.

Basically. :)

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
In that case, America values ESTJ qualities... think about it...

E/I - America loves extroverts and prizes them more.

N/S - This one's the toughest one, but I'm thinking it preaches practicality, although imagination is prized too, but I'd say practicality wins by a hair. Facts are prized, and so is experience.

F/T - Using logic for decision making wins.

J/P - America rewards planners, step-by-step workers, hard workers, work before play, getting things done especially ahead of time, meeting deadlines on time.

ESTJ.

MBTI Type
INFP
Personally I think it could be argued that the vast majority of countries on Earth could idealize ESTJ, ESFJ, even ESTP and ESFP characteristics.

What's more interesting to me is that this is an exercise which can probably be better suited to every point on the enneagram (rather than MBTI) finding itself in a national identity.

From The Complete Idiot's Guide to the Power of the Enneagram by Herb Pearce and Karen K. Brees. (Parentheses are mine):

Here's a list of some countries and their corresponding type values. These are stereotypes, of sorts, and are meant to be taken as generalities, not set in stone. It's a bit tongue in cheek, to boot:

Type 1 -- England -- the King, the Queen, rules and order, traditions, strong beliefs, and propriety, though darker underneath with a history of imperialism and Victorian sexuality. Also, a touch of 5, with pursuit of knowledge.

Type 2 -- Italy -- the maternal side, eat more, emotional, positive, romantic, seductive. A bit of Type 4, too! Drama, intrigue -- the Borgias!

Type 3 -- United States -- show me the money, image, action, symbols of success, be Number One, materialism.

Type 4 -- France -- individuality, art, pursue me -- if you want to, nonconformity.

Type 5 -- Sweden -- learning, travel (<< I might question how much 5s value this), rational viewpoint of sexuality, privacy.

Type 6 -- Germany -- security, order, details, being victim and dominator.

Type 7 -- Caribbean in general -- festival, fun, pleasure, being outdoors.

Type 8 -- Spain -- bullfights, colonization (not a lot to go on here!)

Type 9 -- Canada -- socialized medicine (France still wins here), low crime rate, peace-oriented.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
If we're going by enneagram types, I'd say this:

Type 1 - England
Type 3 - USA
Type 8 - China (definitely not Spain)
Type 9 - Europe in general

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
sweden definitely isn't 5. scandinavia in general is ISXX.

TaylorS

Aspie Idealist
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
American: ESTP
Canadian: ISTP
British: ISTJ
French: INFJ
German: INTJ
Russian: ISFJ
Italian: ENFJ
Spanish: ESFJ
Swedish: INTP
Dutch: ISTP
Australian/Aussie: ESTP
New-Zealander/Kiwi: INTP
Chinese: ISFJ
Indian: ISFP
Israeli: ENTJ
Mexican: ESFJ
Brazilian: ESFP
Argentinian: ESTP
Japanese: ISTJ
Korean: ISFJ
Arab: ESFJ
Persian: ENFJ

S

Sniffles

France is pretty much the quintessential Enneagram 4 country. Russia greatly qualifies too on some levels. Poland as well IMO.

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
i honestly don't know where you get data that suggest any scandinavian country is other than ISXX. but then again what do i know, i've only lived here for the past 20 years.